Menu

S/O How we can help others this time of year

OrganicJen

It's become more and more of a tradition in our family to focus on others during the holidays. My kiddo gets way more excited about our shopping trips for the local shelters than in receiving gifts himself. He says it's his favorite part of the holidays now. We usually get the current list of needed items from some shelters and go shopping. The items on the list bring tears to my eyes and remind me that I'd rather spend money on buying underwear and clean pillows for women and children in need than on the new bottle of perfume I was lusting over. These are some items on one of the lists...

Women's Winter Coats (especially sizes, XXL-4X-5X)

• Twin/Full/Double sheet sets (new or good-used)

• Currently in need of Avery 5160 Mailing Labels

• Women's,Teen's & Children’s Underwear (All sizes, especially XS/SM in Women's, new only)

• Baby Bottles & Baby Bottle Products

• Kleenex

• Cold Medication

• Bras (all sizes, cup sizes A, B,C,D-DDD-F)

• Children's jeans and pajamas (especially sizes 5-18 in both boys and girls)

• Diapers (especially sizes 3, 4, 5, and 6)

• Pillows (new only)

• Children's and Teen’s plain t-shirts and sweatshirts (short and long sleeve, all sizes)

• Socks (All sizes, newborn through adult, new only)

• Women's Pajamas (all sizes)

• Mini Snacks/Juices/Chips/Crackers

• Bath/Body Towels (new only)

• Reusable grocery tote bags

Anyway, hearing about people helping others makes me so much happier this time of year because it gives me more hope in humanity. So what do you all do for others during this season? I'd love some new ideas of different ways to help too.

• Like 2

We don't do the same thing every year, but it's an important part of our celebration to do something.

We've put together a basket with nice holiday foods and a grocery store gift card for the perishable items; bought a week's worth of clothes for a boy DS's size; shopped from angel trees; bought hats and scarves made in a women's prison program and then donated them to a shelter; etc. This year we bought part of a scout uniform for a boy who needs it, we're adding coins to a Guest at Your Table box any time we eat, donated socks to a shelter, and gave a gift card for a church program that brings meals to families in a crisis.

Lots of opportunities around here.

• Like 2

You know, when I was growing up we always did the angel tree thing and I loved it because it was fun thinking about what gift the person described on the card would like best. But I never see those Angel trees anymore...where are they? Are there certain chain stores maybe that always have them? I love buying the necessities for the shelters but I'd also like to find an angel tree where they list a person in need with some details to where I can get them more personal gifts.

We let the kids pick angel tree recipients although I do the shopping 😜. They usually pick kids heir own ages, so this years recipients wanted/needed clothes. We added some extra small fun things like nail polish and a card game as well.

In 3 years I want us to go work at The Operation Christmas child warehouse in Denver- a 4-6 hiit shift. But kids have to be 14. Super excited about that.

• Like 2

In my community every year the Lions Club puts Angel Trees up in heavy foot traffic areas, such as various stores and businesses. Over 500 children benefitted from this year's donations. It just makes me really sad that there is that big of a need but very relieved that every single child's name that was submitted will have a Christmas. 

The Lions Club takes money donations as well. I don't know anything about the organization so if there is some guy sitting there at the top raking in the moolah it is news to me.

• Like 1

In my community every year the Lions Club puts Angel Trees up in heavy foot traffic areas, such as various stores and businesses. Over 500 children benefitted from this year's donations. It just makes me really sad that there is that big of a need but very relieved that every single child's name that was submitted will have a Christmas.

The Lions Club takes money donations as well. I don't know anything about the organization so if there is some guy sitting there at the top raking in the moolah it is news to me.

It also makes me really sad thinking about the kids in need. Every time I read the lists from the shelters, especially the women's and children's shelters, I just start crying thinking about these babies needing clean diapers and kids needing pillows and socks. I just feel like if there are kids in our community in this situation of needing these basic things, as a mom I have to do something.

• Like 1

I've done those shoe boxes in the past.

Sometimes my church will know of specific families that need help and will give out lists of items they need and people can bring them to the church for the families.

About 3 years ago we started supporting an orphanage in Kenya and we'd send extra money at Christmas. My giving doesn't go through any kind of big organization. Some friends of ours somehow or other got into contact with this orphanage and all the money goes right to the orphanage--no overhead.

This year a boy my kids know very well (has been in their karate class for 4 years) has brain cancer and is struggling to survive. We've been helping the family monetarily (so has the entire community.) I don't know if they have insurance or not, but they need money because they're at a hospital 2 hours from home so there are lots of other expenses besides just medical costs.

If I wasn't giving to the boy with cancer, I'd give to a local shelter. I'm suspicious of big organizations and like to give directly to the people who need it whenever possible, so I'd contact a local shelter and give to them directly.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

This year a schoolmate of my boys has cancer. The children's hospital where he is in in-patient treatment sets up a shop for the hospitalized children, so that they can choose gifts (free and then wrapped for them) to give to their parents and other family members. They can't go shopping themselves in stores. I found it really emotional to load up my cart with items for that "store" this year.

Other children's hospitals may have something similar, or may collect toys for the patients.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 3

This year a schoolmate of my boys has cancer. The children's hospital where he is in in-patient treatment sets up a shop for the hospitalized children, so that they can choose gifts (free and then wrapped for them) to give to their parents and other family members. They can't go shopping themselves in stores. I found it really emotional to load up my cart with items for that "store" this year.

Other children's hospitals may have something similar, or may collect toys for the patients.

I'll look into this for sure, we have a children's hospital nearby, thanks!

You know, when I was growing up we always did the angel tree thing and I loved it because it was fun thinking about what gift the person described on the card would like best. But I never see those Angel trees anymore...where are they? Are there certain chain stores maybe that always have them? I love buying the necessities for the shelters but I'd also like to find an angel tree where they list a person in need with some details to where I can get them more personal gifts.

They’re in our church! Every parish we’ve ever belonged to has them every year. My kids very carefully choose their ornaments and then we go shopping. They love it. This year my dh and two of my kids helped drive the stuff down to the distribution point. (Our parish coordinates with parishes in needy areas.) The parish sent two rental trucks full and about 20 carloads of stuff. All of it specifically requested. It’s beautiful to see. This coordination extends throughout the year. There’s a monthly collection of food, clothes and household items. So, Angel Trees are still a thing!

• Like 1

I've done those shoe boxes in the past.

Sometimes my church will know of specific families that need help and will give out lists of items they need and people can bring them to the church for the families.

About 3 years ago we started supporting an orphanage in Kenya and we'd send extra money at Christmas. My giving doesn't go through any kind of big organization. Some friends of ours somehow or other got into contact with this orphanage and all the money goes right to the orphanage--no overhead.

This year a boy my kids know very well (has been in their karate class for 4 years) has brain cancer and is struggling to survive. We've been helping the family monetarily (so has the entire community.) I don't know if they have insurance or not, but they need money because they're at a hospital 2 hours from home so there are lots of other expenses besides just medical costs.

If I wasn't giving to the boy with cancer, I'd give to a local shelter. I'm suspicious of big organizations and like to give directly to the people who need it whenever possible, so I'd contact a local shelter and give to them directly.

I'm also suspicious of large organizations except those rated as the best charities by, who is it...maybe consumer reports?? That's part of why I usually prefer donating items listed as needed instead of just money. I also like shopping for the items to donate because I do so little shopping for us because we are very frugal and make so much ourselves, that I don't really get to do a lot of shopping so filling a cart with items to donate is a lot of fun for us, much more than writing a check.

• Like 1

Another option is to provide gift cards so that parents can pick out presents for their own children and/or teens can pick out their own clothing.

Health and beauty aides, personal hygiene products, paper products are always needed at food banks and homeless/women's shelters. Food stamps don't cover these items.

Another good donation for food pantries would be basic spices as they can help dress up more bland basic foods.

• Like 4

Another option is to provide gift cards so that parents can pick out presents for their own children and/or teens can pick out their own clothing.

Health and beauty aides, personal hygiene products, paper products are always needed at food banks and homeless/women's shelters. Food stamps don't cover these items.

Another good donation for food pantries would be basic spices as they can help dress up more bland basic foods.

I don't really know how food stamps work...does each state have it's own list of what is included?

They’re in our church! Every parish we’ve ever belonged to has them every year. My kids very carefully choose their ornaments and then we go shopping. They love it. This year my dh and two of my kids helped drive the stuff down to the distribution point. (Our parish coordinates with parishes in needy areas.) The parish sent two rental trucks full and about 20 carloads of stuff. All of it specifically requested. It’s beautiful to see. This coordination extends throughout the year. There’s a monthly collection of food, clothes and household items. So, Angel Trees are still a thing!

I love hearing when the kids get excited about choosing the gifts. I think sometimes people overlook how fun it can be for kids to be involved on that type of thing. I have clear memories of shopping for the angel tree gifts when I was a kid and my child definitely enjoys the shopping we do for the shelters. Maybe I need to go to a mall...I never shop at malls but I bet there are angel trees there.

I don't really know how food stamps work...does each state have it's own list of what is included?

I am not positive. I know in Michigan the Bridge card (food stamps) can be used for almost all grocery store food. No hot deli items and no alcohol or cigarettes. It does not cover shampoo, soap, laundry soap, toilet paper, women's personal care products, diapers etc. Those are huge needs for families on limited income.

Also remember that most of the time food stamps doesn't not even begin to cover the real cost of even basic, low cost groceries for a month.

Edited by Ottakee

I am not positive. I know in Michigan the Bridge card (food stamps) can be used for almost all grocery store food. No hot deli items and no alcohol or cigarettes. It does not cover shampoo, soap, laundry soap, toilet paper, women's personal care products, diapers etc. Those are huge needs for families on limited income.

That's good to know thanks!

In our area, Publix grocery stores always have trees. The donated items go to kids at local facilities/programs. 

• Like 1

This year I helped set up a gift wish list for teens in crisis who live in a group home. It made me so emotional to see the things the kids asked for and hearing their comments: “ can I really ask for that?†“Do you think someone will really buy a gift for me?†“I’ve never had Christmas beforeâ€...

If you are looking for an organization to give a gift to, find a group home for foster kids or teen addiction recovery in your area. I’m planning to purchase tickets for an adventure they can do after the holidays: bowling or jumping place or something.

• Like 4

This year I helped set up a gift wish list for teens in crisis who live in a group home. It made me so emotional to see the things the kids asked for and hearing their comments: “ can I really ask for that?†“Do you think someone will really buy a gift for me?†“I’ve never had Christmas beforeâ€...

If you are looking for an organization to give a gift to, find a group home for foster kids or teen addiction recovery in your area. I’m planning to purchase tickets for an adventure they can do after the holidays: bowling or jumping place or something.

That's a wonderful idea thank you!

• Like 1

So what do you all do for others during this season? I'd love some new ideas of different ways to help too.

It's my favorite part of the season, too.

We shop for at least two "angel tree" kids each year. When ours were little, we always tried to choose tags for kids who matched our children's ages and genders, then get our kids involved in the shopping. Now that both of ours are adults, I have reverted to choosing tags for kids who appeal to me for one reason or another. I still aim for a boy and girl, but I now make the decision based on an individual child's wish list or name or whatever else calls to me.

Most years, I also have my own private ritual of donating gifts for a teenage girl. It seems like everyone lines up to provide goodies for kids when they are still cute and little, but I feel strongly that adolescents need to feel loved and cared for, too.

Along the same lines, I enjoy knitting and crocheting for the Red Scarf Project. This is not a Christmas thing, although donations are usually due in early December. It's sponsored by Foster Care to Success, which works with teens who are aging out of foster care and trying to go to college. Every February, they send each participant a care package, which includes a handmade red scarf, donated by volunteers. 

We donate to a variety of organizations as we run across them. This year, for example, my husband played in a mini-golf tournament sponsored by his department at work that required a Toys for Tots donation as the "entry fee." 

Some years, one or more of the presents we give each other is a donation to a favorite charity. (In fact, one or more such donation is almost always among the gifts my family gives me, since they know I much prefer that to more "stuff.")

This past weekend, I volunteered for a local organization that provides toys and other gifts to parents of kids with special needs. They work with a retail chain to collect donated items and set up a store staffed by volunteers. Parents make a appointments to come in and "shop." The organizers also provide free on-site childcare, in case parents need to bring children with them to the location, and local restaurants serve the families lunch (also free). Volunteers act as personal shoppers, walking the store with parents, carrying bags, pushing carts and helping parents select items for their children. Parents can then enjoy lunch (with their kids, if they wish) while other volunteers wrap the gifts and deliver the bags to the parents.

I'm already looking forward to working the event again next year. And, given my special interest in making sure older kids and teens don't get forgotten, I took careful note of both the shortage of items available for that age group and which of the available items were most popular. My husband and I have agreed to watch for sales and deals on appropriate items throughout the year so that we can, we hope, donate a good number of things next time around.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 3

The church we attended for many years had a relationship with a shelter for LGBT kids who had been kicked out of their homes. We did an angel tree/supply drive for that organization several times. Sometimes, it was based on wish lists from specific kids; other times it was tags with items for the shelter/organization more generally. So, tags might list things like ink for the printer or gas station gift cards so they could fill up the van and take kids on field trips. 

• Like 3

This year, we did a new thing at Thanksgiving.  We have a local organization that works specifically with veterans, from the struggling to the out and out homeless.  They were collecting for Thanksgiving meals and I finally happened to come across a (semi) local deal on turkeys for $.29/lb.  Got a few friends together and delivered a whole bunch of turkeys!  It really was a lot more fun than the usual bag of shelf-stable stuff.

I did make sure they were welcoming frozen turkeys, first.  They do take a lot of time and space to defrost and cook! I don't recommend surprising an organization with tons of poultry.

At Christmastime, we donate to the foster care agency my mom works for.  It's not local, but she runs all of their special programming (the stuff outside of gov't basics) so I trust it's being used well, and I know a lot comes out of the employees' pockets, including Mom's.  They used to have strong corporate donations, but they've been dwindling over the past few years.

• Like 2

I just saw a pretty amazing video on YouTube. I think it's called how to hijack Amazon prime now. A man walked through a city and asked people who were sitting outside building what they needed. Then he walked away and sent them a package with prime now. Very sweet idea.

Huh, I'll have to look for that it sounds interesting.

I just saw a pretty amazing video on YouTube. I think it's called how to hijack Amazon prime now. A man walked through a city and asked people who were sitting outside building what they needed. Then he walked away and sent them a package with prime now. Very sweet idea.

Wow that really is very cool. I didn't know that service even existed where they could deliver so quickly and you provide specific details for the courier like that. Good for him for seeing it as a way to get sleeping bags and socks to these poor freezing people. It definitely could be a great thing for people who want to give but are afraid to give cash because it may not be used for what it is intended.

Our local refugee organization does a Christmas market. They sell donated goods to parents for their kids, and they have a Christmas party for the kids at the same time. The money raised by the market gets donated to different places. This year was the (woefully underfunded) pta at the elementary school in the neighborhood.

• Like 1

We had so many issues with our Angel Tree this year we are considering not doing it next year.  It is unfortunate, but a few ruin it for the many.

There are other avenues to give to, but it saddened me greatly this year.

That's too bad...it's hard when something that should be entirely a positive thing gets ruined.