Menu

Have you all done your turkey stock?

KungFuPanda

I've listening to the rocker on my pressure cooker right now and the whole house smells turkey again. I love homemade stock, but turkey is even richer than chicken so I love having that stash in the freezer.

I read yesterday that because of the higher temperatures that the Miallard reaction occurs in the pot. This vindicates my long time laziness and inability to ever bother browning the bones. Now, I've only ever read this once, so I can't really vouch for the validity, but if you're looking to skip a step it might be worth investigating.

In the spirit of processing leftovers . . . Can I freeze stuffing? It was really good, but my family is over the feast now. It's time to get it out of the fridge and save what I can.

I'll do mine next week, as I cooked the turkey on Wednesday morning, took it apart, packed some for traveling and threw the rest in the freezer.   I have never bothered to brown bones from a roasted bird.  Love turkey soup.

No clue on freezing stuffing.  My instinct is to say it would be soggy, but my instincts are not always right.  

We've been going to dss and ddil's house for the past five years and though they always send us home with leftovers I miss having broth and soup. This year I bought a bone-in turkey breast just so I can make broth. I probably could have done with a small whole turkey but we don't care much for dark meat, so a breast will do. I'll cook the turkey breast tomorrow and make my broth on Monday so we can have it for the week.

First batch of stock made! Two to go, but I'll make it as I need it, since my freezer is tiny.

Soup Monday night for dinner.

I also froze 4lbs of turkey.

Raw cranberries freze well, but I've never attempted to freeze any part of T'giving dinner exvept the meat. By day 3, all leftovers are gone here!

Edited by ScoutTN

This year I threw away our carcass. It’s just my husband and I and our 18 year old who is t find of turkey. So ladies - I pitched the carcass of a 24 pound turkey. First time ever.

Likewise. I mean, it was a clean carcass as I pulled off all the meat for gumbo and pot pie and omelets, but no bone broth this year. I've had a busy weekend and didn't want to deal with another pot going.

I trust you guys way more than google! I may freeze it for a dinner sometime the next few weeks. It was some pretty inspired stuffing, but we’re officially done with that meal.

When I can’t deal with the stock, I just freeze the bones for some other time. I also occasionally freeze extra carrots, onions, or celery while it’s still good and then when the mood strikes I make a bunch of stock. I have a new pressure cooker so I felt like playing with it :-)

• Like 1

I had a chicken carcass already in my frig that needed to be dealt with first so I made that Friday and made soup yesterday, the broth was absolutely perfect, I can't wait for leftovers today. I put my turkey bones in the freezer. Most of my turkey was ate at the inlaws but the bit that is left will be cooked in a pot pie (or that is the plan).

Edited by soror

The kids and dh cleaned up after dinner while I laid down to rest.  The next morning, I realized I hadn't seen the carcass in the fridge and was on the verge of a freak out!  With my fingers crossed, I opened the freezer, and there it was.  Huge sigh of relief!

I haven't had a chance to get to work on it yet.

When I can’t deal with the stock, I just freeze the bones for some other time. I also occasionally freeze extra carrots, onions, or celery while it’s still good and then when the mood strikes I make a bunch of stock. I have a new pressure cooker so I felt like playing with it :-)

I often freeze the bones when I make a whole chicken but don't feel like making broth just yet. I also save vegetable scraps (peels, ends that were cut off, etc. - all cleaned) and use them in my broth or stock.

Heartbreaking news on that front.  The stock was on, it was golden and gorgeous and smelling amazing.  I left it to cool before putting it in the fridge and went to bed assuming dh would put it in the fridge. He didn't.  I had to throw it out.  In doing so, I was pouring it into a bag and the bag slipped and it went everywhere including down my cooktop, which I then had to take apart to get to the mess.  And now I have no soup. :(

I froze our carcass because our weather has been too nice this weekend to stay home all day while it simmers. I’ll make stock some cold grey day that will be coming all too soon.

Even though I have a pressure cooker and stock is done in an hour, I still tend to wait for a cold day to make soup and bake bread. It’s just cozier that way. ⛄ï¸