Menu

short haircut for me?

ktgrok

I know, I know, I've asked this before. But I'm really thinking I want a change. And I've never really done short hair. And I'm no longer pregnant so we can't say it's a hormonal decision (unlike getting the hound dog...that was a bad bad hormonal decision). 

What would work? Parameters are I need it to EITHER look good (messy chic is okay) doing nothing but putting some product in, OR be very quick to style. 5 minutes or less. It's naturally wavy and I live in a humid climate. 

This is me with it pulled back, which I do all the darn time because it takes too long to style and is hot on my neck. 

22090033_10155154600403666_8077011244218

This is it down with some curl product in it, this was a very good hair day, lol:20155634_10154935517798666_5227036747543

And this is it blown dry and then a flat iron to flatten it out - also a very good hair day. These are best case scenarios, lol. 13015525_10153700468483666_5173054320295

How short are we talking? When I went ultra-short, my morning routine consisted of get it wet and run my fingers through it. Very nice. However, by about four weeks post-cut, I would be needing to do stuff to it to make it look good.

Currently I'm too long-at my shoulders--but when I get it done next week, my stylist will leave it just above my shoulders. I don't do anything at all to this haircut except wear it. 

But I have hair that is beyond flat. It's so fine that it really doesn't hold onto any shape. So my shaggy look works for me. 

• Like 1

Here's a great list: http://youqueen.com/short-haircuts-for-women/    My personal vote is for number 5, the fringed pixie, but, I'll admit, I'm partial to pixies. :)

I agree with #5 and sport a similar look. It's so easy to style and looks great as it grows out a bit. I think you'll LOVE having your hair off your neck.

I watched my hairstylist carefully so I could learn to trim in-between haircuts. 

Growing longer won't help, because then I'll just have a larger bun. I've been wearing my hair in a messy bun since I think I was 14? Now that I'm older it's almost always in a bun. It does not look good. I'd like to look a little more put together. I don't mind going to get haircut More often, I already get my nails done once a month and that is my me time. More me time sounds good. I don't know, maybe this is a midlife crisis thing? I just kind of feel like Everywoman should cut their hair short once in their life? I've never done it because I thought my face was too fat. After having the weight-loss surgery my face isn't fat-anymore. So I feel like it is going to look good, now is the time. And I've just been kind of blah lately and it seems like a way to change something without a lot of money or effort. Cheaper than redoing all the furniture in the living room or something, Lol.

Edited to add that I'm starting to get headaches from constantly having it in a bun or ponytail.

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

Growing longer won't help, because then I'll just have a larger bun. I've been wearing my hair in a messy bun since I think I was 14? Now that I'm older it's almost always in a bun. It does not look good. I'd like to look a little more put together. I don't mind going to get haircut More often, I already get my nails done once a month and that is my me time. More me time sounds good. I don't know, maybe this is a midlife crisis thing? I just kind of feel like Everywoman should cut their hair short once in their life? I've never done it because I thought my face was too fat. After having the weight-loss surgery my face isn't fat-anymore. So I feel like it is going to look good, now is the time. And I've just been kind of blah lately and it seems like a way to change something without a lot of money or effort. Cheaper than redoing all the furniture in the living room or something, Lol.

Yes, girl, yes! Get that pixie. I got mine years ago and never looked back. I feel like I finally came into my own when I chopped off my hair. I have so much more confidence now. That won't be true for everyone, but it has been for me. You never know until you try.

• Like 6

Looks to me like you have a heart shaped face. I think you could rock something like this:

http://www.latest-hairstyles.com/trends/heart-shaped-faces.html#3

Personally I love my short hair, looks way better than it did when I pulled it back in a pony tail every day.

I have a similar pixie and love it. My hairdresser has her wavy hair short at the sides but scrunched into curls on top, which looks great.

• Like 1

You could always go shorter gradually.  If you like it shorter, then you could slowly go even shorter or leave it as it is.  You could try a long bob (LOB) and see how that goes.  My hair is very similar to yours and what I have noticed is that my hair needs some length to be able to curl because my curl pattern is in an S shape.  If I cut my hair really short, I wouldn't have enough length to even have much of a curl, so I would probably have a lot more upkeep by way of flat ironing or using a curling iron.  

Pinterest is a great place for inspiration. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175288610476410290/

I just kind of feel like Everywoman should cut their hair short once in their life? I've never done it because I thought my face was too fat. After having the weight-loss surgery my face isn't fat-anymore. So I feel like it is going to look good, now is the time.

I was initially going to encourage you to keep it its current length, but this changed my mind. I know I prefer my hair longer because I’ve had everything from a pixie to waist-length. But if you’ve never worn it short, give it a try! It will grow back if you don’t like it, but if you do like it you’ll wonder why you didn’t try it sooner. It’s fun to experiment! Go for it! And post pics when you do. :)

• Like 3

I got my hair chopped off ten (?) weeks ago. I’ve had my hair cut twice since then. I go to Cost Cutters so expense is pretty minimal. I think I lucked out when I went in and got the perfect stylist. My hair was down towards my waist and there was some discussion amongst the other stylists that dh heard about whether my stylist should “let†me do it. Yeah, no, just do what I’m asking, please.

I *love* it. Love, love, love it. It’s on the pixie end of short. It takes me like three minutes to do something with. It’s off my neck so it’s way cooler. I no longer need a ponytail for my ponytail when I go running. I look way more put together than I did before. Oh, and it totally emphasized just how much weight I have lost.

If you already like the way you look with your hair pulled back, imo, it’s really not that far of a stretch to just cut it. Plus, it’s hair. It will grow back. :D

• Like 5

picture? please?

I got my hair chopped off ten (?) weeks ago. I’ve had my hair cut twice since then. I go to Cost Cutters so expense is pretty minimal. I think I lucked out when I went in and got the perfect stylist. My hair was down towards my waist and there was some discussion amongst the other stylists that dh heard about whether my stylist should “let†me do it. Yeah, no, just do what I’m asking, please.

I *love* it. Love, love, love it. It’s on the pixie end of short. It takes me like three minutes to do something with. It’s off my neck so it’s way cooler. I no longer need a ponytail for my ponytail when I go running. I look way more put together than I did before. Oh, and it totally emphasized just how much weight I have lost.

If you already like the way you look with your hair pulled back, imo, it’s really not that far of a stretch to just cut it. Plus, it’s hair. It will grow back. :D

SaveSave

• Like 1

picture? please?

I’ll see what I can do. Most of the pictures of me are race day selfies while wearing a visor which doesn’t help with hair, lol.

It’s kind of like Jamie Lee Curtis’ haircut met Pink (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/75364993733836050/), but a tad longer on top. My hair is somewhat wavy, but thick so she thins it out and I think the slight wave probably helps with the easy styling bit.

What really helped me was looking back on all those running selfies where my hair was pulled back so you couldn’t really see anything of my hair. I liked all those pictures so it really wasn’t hard to imagine myself without all the length. So, maybe if you don’t already have a bunch of hair pulled back pictures, take some more pictures of yourself over time. If you really like the way those look, then going super short won’t really be that much of a shock. If anything, you might like it better because there’s something more going on.

i have a bunch of "sweaty selfies" with it back. I do like how it looks from the front when it is pulled back, but don't like the profile. I think a short haircut would improve the profile look. 

What do you guys think of this one? 3984b2296393804ca74bd1c32048443e.jpg

Or this: Slightly-Grown-Out-Pixie.png

SaveSave

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

I say yes but I'm sporting a super short pixie.. like I think I could have done it at home with the clippers short and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. When I finally went crazy short pixie, I was so in love. And my spouse hates short hair and honestly doesn't find my haircut attractive but says that I am always more animated, smiley and happy when my hair is this short and that makes me look very attractive.

I think I look just fine with the short hair -- I'm even a fat woman with a pixie cut and still think it looks fine. I'm glad I got over my fears about doing it... I did it when my now 2 year old was about 4 months old. :) And the lack of time I have to spend on it is awesome - I keep mine between crazy short (right now) where I don't have to do anything - to longer where I just have to throw some gel in my hand, run it through, and it's good to go out. Both stages are fun. 

I'm a fan of the first one, black and white photo. The other looks like it could need more styling effort depending on your hair type. :)

• Like 3

I love these pixie threads.  I've always wanted a super-short pixie cut but have never been brave enough to go super short (my short cuts have always had it stacked in the back but long enough to tuck behind my ears in the front...if just barely).

I totally love the current shaved side look -- but I won't go that far, haha.  This one I bookmarked from your other thread, to show to my hairdresser:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/278097345717427349/

I had my hair like that when I met DH (so 20 years ago) but got tired of the upkeep.  

I think your hair is beautiful. Is that your natural color (lucky you if it is or kudos to your colorist if not)?

Have you tried having bangs? My friends (we are in our early 40s) say "bangs before botox!" I'm pretty sure they didn't invent that phrase, but I think it can make sense to try out a small change before making a big change. As others upthread mentioned - you can go shorter gradually (going longer takes time or hair extensions).

But it is your hair and your life! If you want a big change - go for it!

Yes, girl, yes! Get that pixie. I got mine years ago and never looked back. I feel like I finally came into my own when I chopped off my hair. I have so much more confidence now. That won't be true for everyone, but it has been for me. You never know until you try.

I have pixie cut & go every four weeks. It is super easy to style under 5 minutes.

I think your hair is beautiful. Is that your natural color (lucky you if it is or kudos to your colorist if not)?

Have you tried having bangs? My friends (we are in our early 40s) say "bangs before botox!" I'm pretty sure they didn't invent that phrase, but I think it can make sense to try out a small change before making a big change. As others upthread mentioned - you can go shorter gradually (going longer takes time or hair extensions).

But it is your hair and your life! If you want a big change - go for it!

Yes, natural color :)  Haircolor and my freckles are my favorite things about my looks. My youngest seems to have inherited the hair, which makes my heart happy. Although she also got the redhead temperament, lol. 

I haven't had bangs since junior high or high school...back whenever it was that big high bangs were a thing :) I could try cutting bangs, but they really need to either be very short or be blown dry or in this humidity they will curl oddly. Which, if the rest of the hair is curly is fine, but if the rest is pulled back in a bun just looks weird. 

I say yes but I'm sporting a super short pixie.. like I think I could have done it at home with the clippers short and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I've started doing my own at home with clippers, I got a two inch attachment. I might try a 1.5 inch guide at some point.

I do the front with scissors but the clippers seem to work just fine for the rest.

So, no one likes the one? Seems a bit less drastic, but of course it also would be more work I imagine....and more skill. 

This one is a bit longer - I'd have to blow dry it but that short it should only take a few minutes I'd think. 027269fe72896fb3c636d73729e35756.jpg

SaveSave

SaveSave

So, no one likes the one? Seems a bit less drastic, but of course it also would be more work I imagine....and more skill.

Save

Save

It would be cute on you, for me it would be impossible--my hair would require at least an hour every day to look like that.

Your hair may be of a more cooperative sort though :D

Personally I think you should just jump to the short pixie and then if you don't like that try some of the others as it grow out.

Edited by maize

Save

Save

I think THAT hair in THAT picture is gorgeous, but I am not fooled, at least when it comes to my own hair. That hairstyle (on me) would be slavery. With my hair, the shorter and more layered it is, the more work it takes to make it look like I did something on purpose, unless it gets shorn all the way to pixie short. And my experience with that was that it was kind of fun for a while, and it was very easy to style (put in gel; go), but once I was done with that, I had to spend two years in that horrible in-between spot of mom hair that nevertheless took a bunch of work every day to look presentable.

It is why I am convinced that the shortest I would go with my hair now is a long bob between chin and shoulder. If it is ever pixie short again, it will be when I am way too old to care and never intend to have longer hair again.

YMMV, of course.

• Like 1

I would vote no, and I love short hair. But IME, it’s harder to style and maintain short hair. I didn’t like having to go in for a cut every 4 weeks. And, your hair is really pretty as it currently is.....

Though, it’s just hair, you could try it and grow it out if you don’t like it. I tend to go between short and med length every few years. 🙂

• Like 1

Yeah that last one looks like a lot of work - sounds like what you didn't want. But if you're hair has a lot of body and some curl, then you might just pull off one of my favorite Meg Ryan looks with that cut -- basically the same cut but with a tousled finish instead of that more polished finish. 

That look would take a flat iron, proper combing while drying and product with my slightly wavy hair and the humidity we have here. It simply would never happen. :) 

I personal goal is the Professor Hooch look... but I can't stand the every 4 week trip to the salon, so I work with a style cut much shorter and grow out to that. :) best of both worlds - super super short and then super super sassy. 

I am very adventurous with my hair. It varies from very long halfway down my back to short shags and everything in between. It has also been many colors. I will never understand women who keep it the same their whole life. I have to change it up. Seriously, the awesome thing about hair is that it grows back. So you can do whatever you want. I have had mine super long at least 4 times in the past 15 years.

At the beginning of the summer it was halfway down my back and then I did a long bob, just past my shoulders. I am already bored with it and ready to shag it out for the fall up closer to my neck with tons of layers. I am sick of myself in a ponytail everyday and the only way I can change that is to literally cut it too short to pull back in a ponytail. I can grow it back when I am bored of that. I am scheduled at the salon on Tuesday!

Sounds like you have been itching for a change. Just pick a style you love that works for your face type and go for it!

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

Yeah that last one looks like a lot of work - sounds like what you didn't want. But if you're hair has a lot of body and some curl, then you might just pull off one of my favorite Meg Ryan looks with that cut -- basically the same cut but with a tousled finish instead of that more polished finish. 

That look would take a flat iron, proper combing while drying and product with my slightly wavy hair and the humidity we have here. It simply would never happen. :) 

I personal goal is the Professor Hooch look... but I can't stand the every 4 week trip to the salon, so I work with a style cut much shorter and grow out to that. :) best of both worlds - super super short and then super super sassy. 

She's actually the person I would most like my hair to be like...I love that messy look. 

SaveSave

I love short hair. There is no way on earth I’d ever go back to having mine long. You couldn’t pay me to do it.

The only drawback is that mine grows super super fast and I have to get it cut at least every three weeks. Sometimes that’s pushing it. It’s not a big deal. Going to my stylist is like visiting with a friend. Good me time.

My advice is to make sure to get a cut that works with your hair. Some of those messy cuts require a ton of time and several products to look good if your hair doesn’t naturally work that way. My cut takes five minutes (max) and a squirt of hairspray if I’m feeling fancy.

ok, setting up a list of ones I like, including the black and white one from before, the longer one (just to ask stylist about to see if it would work with my hair easily), and this one. And woke up ready to do this thing!!!  Partly because baby is currently grabbing my long hair and pulling it, and I can't find a hair tie...again. 

1ca6dd7d8e6a30b3be57da0630a88219.jpg

• Like 2

If it makes you feel better, I’ve grown out a pixie a few times. One year from super short to all layers at a chin length bob. It’s not as bad as they say to grow out and goes thru some fun stages on the way.

I then immediately cut it back to a pixie, so now I’m just keeping it short, lol

• Like 1

Also, if you say to your husband, "I'm thinking bout doing something that you probably won't like" he will nearly have a heart attack imagining awful things in the split second before you say "cut my hair". 

Pretty sure he thought I wanted to divorce him and had cancer and was pregnant and had adopted 3 new cats, lol. After that the hair thing wasn't a big deal. 

• Like 3

Oh, that one looks like how I imagine a pixie with curly hair to come out, love it. Go do it! No more heavy hair headaches 😀

And I've realized that if I truly hate it, that's what hats are for. 

So I may be back posting to ask about stylish hats and head coverings, lol!!!!

But I've learned over the years to never make decisions out of fear. So being afraid of a hair cut is silly. I'm impulsive, and that's my personality, and I am ok with that :)

• Like 3

ok, setting up a list of ones I like, including the black and white one from before, the longer one (just to ask stylist about to see if it would work with my hair easily), and this one. And woke up ready to do this thing!!! Partly because baby is currently grabbing my long hair and pulling it, and I can't find a hair tie...again.

1ca6dd7d8e6a30b3be57da0630a88219.jpg

That one is super cute!

My mom tells me that I am the reason she cut her hair short many decades ago--I was always grabbing and pulling it!

She never did go back to long hair.