Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW36: Sappy September

Robin M

Someone want to recommend a Flufferton for me for this month? I don't want a long list--just a "here's a good one that's probably in your library that I think you would like. Not too steamy, characters you'll root for. Less than 300 pages too!"

Clearly I cannot follow directions ....

Grace Draven's Radiance  (this one is the right length but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's in your library)

The following are all too long but might be more available.

LaVyrle Spencer's Morning Glory

Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady  (Angela found this one steamy)

Laura Kinsale's Flowers from the Storm

Amy Harmon's Making Faces

Mary Balogh's Simply Love

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grace Draven's Radiance  (this one is the right length but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's in your library)

Hah! In the library! Hold placed. But keep suggestions coming, folks. I wouldn't mind a fluffy month of reading for September. Anyone have a banned-books Flufferton? Yeah, that's probably a stretch.

• Like 15

img_3133.jpg?w=640

Hello, BaWers!

Since my last post, I’ve moved my daughters back to university; received two offers so delightful that I rethought my ideas about “retirement†and accepted one; survived a particularly nasty bout of food poisoning; and finished the following books:

â–  The Followers (Rebecca Wait; 2015. Fiction.)

â–  Hamlet (William Shakespeare; 1602. Drama.)

â–  The Grip of It (Jac Jemc; 2017. Fiction.)

â–  Measure for Measure (William Shakespeare; 1604. Drama.)

â–  The Marriage Pact (Michelle Richmond; 2017. Fiction.)

â–  Fierce Kingdom (Gin Phillips; 2017. Fiction.)

â–  Fun Home (Alison Bechdel; 2006. Graphic memoir.)

â–  Othello (William Shakespeare; 1603. Drama.)

If you liked last summer’s The Girls (Emma Cline), and I did, you may appreciate The Followers, a difficult story told well. The Grip of It offers a literary twist on the haunted house genre. The Marriage Pact passed an amiable summer afternoon despite its pedestrian prose and improbable plotting. Fierce Kingdom, however, managed something special. This beautifully written and almost recklessly fast-paced thriller is destined for big-screen treatment.

p. 17

In a year he will be in kindergarten and these days of superheroes will fade and be replaced by something she can’t guess, and then at some point the zoo itself will be replaced and life will have gone on and this boy holding her hand will have turned into someone else entirely.

p. 160

She does not know when she started imagining the end of things. It’s possible that turning forty triggered it or that Lincoln triggered it from the moment he began changing from a baby into a boy and she realized how he was going to vanish, over and over again, until finally he was grown and gone, and it’s possible she has such dark thoughts precisely because there is nothing she wants more than for life to stay exactly as it is, never changing, and maybe she loves it all the more because she knows it can’t last.

p. 165

You are supposed to be more forgiving of your parents, aren’t you, after you have children yourself? After you understand what parenting really means?

The Bechdel memoir (an exquisite, smart book I devoured and pressed on all who would listen when it was first published more than a decade ago) was a reread: We will see the Victory Gardens production later this month.

The plays, all rereads, represent some of my Shakespeare in a Year progress. (Yes, I had planned to substitute a Hamlet-inspired novel, but my daughters and I ended up revisiting the play before they finished moving back to university. Still, The Dead Fathers Club (Matthew Haig), a book that has been on my shelves since 2006 may (finally!) end up on this year’s list.) I have also reached Sonnet 111 and pushed Sir Thomas More down the list a bit.

War and Peace remains so compelling that I have already finished the reading for Weeks 12 and 13.

From Book Three, Part Two, Chapter 10:

He had managed people for a long time, and knew that the chief way to make them obey is to show no suspicion that they can possibly disobey.

And now I’m reading Jeanette Winterson’s Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?

p. 8

When we tell a story we exercise control, but in such a way as to leave a gap, an opening. It is a version, but never the final one. And perhaps we hope that the silences will be heard by someone else, and the story can continue, can be retold.

When we write we offer the silence as much as the story. Words are the part of story that can be spoken.

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 16

I just finished listening to The Apartment by Greg Baxter https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18568443-the-apartment. It's a book with an intriguing cover. The basic story is a American ex Navy man is searching for an Apartment with a platonic female friend in an unnamed European city. That's it. Totally stream of consciousness with many flashbacks to Iraq. It was actually pretty interesting in places but drove me nuts because the European city seems to be a combination of many and fictionalized. I spent the entire story trying to figure out where and still don't know!!!!

I'm moving on to A Darker Shade of Magic https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22055262-a-darker-shade-of-magic?ac=1&from_search=true. It's been on the wish list for ages and is available on audio. This might be the last book needed for to finish these quilts!!!!

• Like 13

We are back from sailing. Sadly. It's not that I don't like home, just that I love the freedom of sailing. I've never been so free or so trapped as on the boat. It's really hard to give that up. And I have to get through a whole year before I can go back to it. On a more cheerful note - I have been enjoying the Honor Harrington series that my nephew gave me to read, saying they were tather like Hornblower books - ship books as I call them - albeit more bloody and graphic. I prefer the Hornblower level of graphicness but am surviving these by dint of skimming upon occasion.

I am sad to see that the trials and tribulations of my book a week friends continue. Holding everyone in the light.

Nan

• Like 17

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

Youth by Isaac Asimov 

"Two young boys find some very unusual new pets in this short story from a Grand Master of Science Fiction.

Tagging along while his astronomer father visits an industrialist at his vast estate, young Slim is lucky enough to make fast friends with the industrialist’s son, Red, who has recently caught some very strange animals on the property.

The animals seem intelligent enough, and Red recruits Slim to help him train the odd creatures to do circus tricks. But the boys are about to discover their playthings aren’t exactly animals—and they’ve allowed themselves to be caught for a reason . . .

Youth is a riveting tale from the author of countless classics, including I, Robot and the Foundation Trilogy, which won the Hugo Award for Best All-Time Series."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

Our armchair travels are taking us all over the world this month as we dive into the world of Romance.  From G rated to the "oh my god, hide the cover so no one knows what I'm reading" books, there is a wide variety to choose from. 

As you all have probably surmised, Romance is not my go-to genre, and if I am going to read it, PG is probably as much as I really care for.  I went through a Mary Stewart phase in my teens, and I'll admit to loving Austen and Jane Eyre, but those are all pretty G-rated.  I'm in Big-Bingo fill-in mode (well, as much as I can, even halfway is probably a stretch...), so I'm not sure I'll join you. ;)

Someone put a book called Safekeeping on their Goodreads to-read list lately, and then I added to mine.  The plot centers around a sapphire brooch, I think, and I think the book has an Indie publisher (Fig Tree Books?), so if I can count it for that as well (yes?), I'll use it for my Sapphire read.  

In other news, dd16's driving test just got postponed by a month (RMV is overbooking - they'd better not cancel it again!), so I guess I'll be doing a lot more driving this month than I had planned.   :glare:  Maybe I'll get through The Long Walk to Freedom after all.

Erin, hope your procedure goes smoothly.  I'll echo what VC said - wishing you peace of mind and health of body.  :grouphug:
  • Like 17

Erin,  :grouphug: , I hope you are feeling better today.

Guys, we have an appointment with a Lyme-literate ND who sounds perfect! We spoke to him on the phone today, and have a first appt. tomorrow. His approach is exactly what we are looking for: he's knowledgeable about Lyme, but also about other neurological conditions, so he will be looking at the whole picture - the POTS, the EDS, the GI stuff, the headaches, in addition to the Lyme. And he's all about treating the person holistically, as the unique person they are.  I'm so hopeful.

In book news, I started The Absolute and Large and Memoirs of a Geisha, which I've read before, but not for years.

• Like 17

Woot Woot! J.D. Robb's newest in her In Death series has arrived - Secrets in Death

Erin:  Hugs and prayers and good thoughts winging your way!

Penguin - Fascinating hearing about your Book Festival exploits!

Melissa - My hubby saw the picture of wall of books library and was impressed.  I'm trying to talk him into having it done, since it's not a challenge he wants to try. 

For some clean romances - check out this list - 13 Romance Novels You Won't Be Embarrassed to Read with your Mom

Interesting site of the day:  Chinese romance novels in Translation - Some of the translated titles will give you the giggles. 

Season 3 of Outlander begins September 10 on Starz. This season is based on Voyager.

• Like 13

For some clean romances - check out this list - 13 Romance Novels You Won't Be Embarrassed to Read with your Mom

Thanks for the link, Robin; I saw some authors on the list whose books I've enjoyed.  The first line amused me as the post is dated September 7, 2016.  "Romance Novel Month is in full swing here at Bustle, an entire 31 days dedicated to celebrating, examining, and sharing all things romance."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

I finished listening to The Zookeeper's Wife https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13552110-the-zookeeper-s-wife this afternoon for my Z in the alphabetical by title challenge. I am so glad I listened to it as opposed to reading it, I enjoyed it but I tend to get bored with what I would class as rabbit trails taken by the author. There must of been 5 pages about types of beetles for instance and I know I would have quit. I have been on the holds list for this book for months and when it came up in the audio section as available now.....I grabbed it.

The book is set in Warsaw during WWII so is filled with horrifying parts. The Zookeeper and his wife were responsible for saving many Polish Jews by hiding them within the zoo property. Those stories were interspersed with many interesting animal related facts. It was taken primarily from diaries and fleshed out by interviews with survivors and other research. Interesting but probably too dry for me in book form but it was good to quilt to.

My fascinating animal bit was their carnivorous rabbit. Yes, their bunny loved sausage a whole lot...mine considers sweet fruits and muesli to be the best. Don't worry he a huge assortment because 3 families feed him their leftover vegetables and fruits.

I watched this movie and quite liked it. A few hard to watch scenes though. 

I am listening to Neil deGrasse Tyson narrate his book Death by Black Hole  and I love it. Of course, he could narrate anything for me. He's super smart, funny, witty, and has a rich, dreamy voice which all just makes him sexy as all get out. And no, your opinion may not alter from mine when it comes to Dr. Tyson! 

• Like 13

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

Through Prison Bars: The Lives and Labours of John Howard and Elizabeth Fry by William H. Render

"A fascinating look—first published in 1894—at two philanthropists known as the “Prisoner’s Friends†and the early history of prison reform.

Prisons in England were once dark, inhumane places lacking any regulations. The facilities were poorly managed and unsanitary, and prisoners were treated like animals. One man and one woman, the “Prisoner’s Friends,†sought to change that.

Through Prison Bars is an in-depth account of John Howard and Elizabeth Fry and their work in the prison reform movement in Great Britain and Europe that began in the eighteenth century and continued into the nineteenth. Author William H. Render explores their childhoods and family lives, deeply spiritual backgrounds—Howard was a Calvinist while Fry was a dedicated Quaker—and early days in prison philanthropy, as well as what motivated them to get involved in the first place: Howard’s early days as the high sheriff of Bedfordshire and Fry’s visit to the women’s prison at Newgate in London.

Neither Howard nor Fry stopped their work with just one jail. They dedicated their lives to serving God and man, and their stories have the power to inspire similar dedication in generations to come."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Just popping in. I haven't done much reading this week. Our grandsons ages 5 and 3 will be here tomorrow afternoon until Saturday morning when dss picks them up. Ddil is going to a no-kids wedding in Ohio and dss has to work (he's a firefighter and will have a 48 hour shift). I'm not sure who's more excited about this sleepover, the 5 year old or dh lol. Anyway, our spare bedroom became something of a catch-all junk room in the past year so I've been cleaning like crazy getting rid of stuff and kid proofing the rest. 

I finished listening to An Excellent Mystery while I was cleaning. I've really enjoyed listening to this series (thank you Amy for sending me the first book and getting me started) but I realized a couple of things just recently. There are 21 or 22 books but only 15 have been recorded. That was #11 so I only have four left. Also, there are two different narrators and I really like the one I've chosen for all of the books. I read that he is no longer alive so if the rest do get recorded it will be by someone else (maybe the other regular narrator?). For you Aubrey-Maturin fans he's apparently well known for narrating the audio versions of those books. I do have the next book, The Raven in the Foregate, downloaded to my phone and will start listening to that one soon.

I got a bit cocky about being ahead in War and Peace, so much so that now I'm right where we're supposed to be this week. :)

The Inspector Brunetti series has me hooked and I'm in the middle of the third one, Dressed for Death

I'm also still reading Under the Banner of Heaven.

Goodreads shows a couple of other books on my currently reading shelf that I'm not actually reading right now.

Ds made it home from Dragoncon about 10:30 Sunday Monday night. He had a great time but said Megacon was easier to navigate. Of course he's been attending Megacon for the past 5 years so it could just be familiarity.

We're planning for Hurricane Irma and will be boarding up probably Friday afternoon or early Saturday morning. They recommend all preparations be done by Saturday as we'll start to feel tropical storm force winds later that day. It's looking pretty scary for South Florida. We'll likely have some damage but should be fine overall. I'm hoping the models that move it a bit farther east are the correct ones. It looks like Georgia and South Carolina are going to possibly get slammed unfortunately. (Good luck helping your family Stacia - Be safe!)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 14

Hugs to everyone in the path of Irma - you're all on my mind. I'm trying to track down my MIL who lives north of Portland - right in the middle of the wildfires there.  I'm sure she's out of touch because she's staying with a friend, but I'll feel better when I hear from her.

And, weirdly happy news: Shannon officially has Lyme Disease. Which doesn't seem like it would be happy news, but after a year of watching her get sicker without knowing why, and having no idea how to help her get well, I'm so relieved to have a doctor we trust, a diagnosis that makes sense, and a plan to get her better.  

• Like 14

And, weirdly happy news: Shannon officially has Lyme Disease. Which doesn't seem like it would be happy news, but after a year of watching her get sicker without knowing why, and having no idea how to help her get well, I'm so relieved to have a doctor we trust, a diagnosis that makes sense, and a plan to get her better.  

I'm glad you have a diagnosis, though obviously not pleased that it's Lyme. It's tough when you suspect a disease, but can't find the medical support you need. It took me nearly a year to find treatment for my condition (despite textbook symptoms), no matter how many times I told multiple doctors what I thought it was. 

• Like 10

... I'm not sure who's more excited about this sleepover, the 5 year old or dh lol.

We're planning for Hurricane Irma and will be boarding up probably Friday afternoon or early Saturday morning. ...

Enjoy that sleepover! 

I hope that you and yours stay safe.  You, too, Stacia.

...I'm trying to track down my MIL who lives north of Portland - right in the middle of the wildfires there.

And, weirdly happy news: Shannon officially has Lyme Disease. ...

Here's hoping that you've since heard from your mother-in-law.

I'm glad to hear that you now have an official diagnosis and can move forward.  Best wishes to Shannon and to you.

And good wishes to others who are dealing with health issues at home.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Yep, my MIL is fine - she's off at a pleine aire painting retreat. I should have known!

I'm glad she's well.  I hope she has a good supply of gray paint (or black and white) for that ashy aire.

A fun and informative post from the Word Wenches site ~ 

The shawl of beauty and grace

"Joanna here, talking about that fashion accessory of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, the shawl.

Why shawls? We wear form-fitted, sleeved outer garments mostly — coats and sweaters and parkas and anoraks and Macintoshes — in the Twenty-first Century and feel pleased and practical doing so. Why did folks spend centuries throwing loose garments around themselves that didn’t button up and had to be draped and fidgeted with in a manner that may strike us as awkward?

I think an ideal of feminine beauty was at the root of it. The drape and swirl of a shawl, the varied possibilities with all their minute adjustments were alluring to the watcher. Displaying the shawl was an art, and this length of silk or wool might well be the most expensive object a woman wore.

So let’s talk paisley, since we’re talking shawls...."

ETA: and here's a review of a book that sounds fascinating ~

The Cooking Gene by Michael W. Twitty  by Redheadedgirl

"I want to sit down with Michael W. Twitty and talk food with him for about a million hours.

Twitty is a food historian who specializes in American antebellum slave cookery – what slaves were cooking and eating during the period of American Slavery from 1619 to 1865. He is especially interested in the evolution of slave cookery to “Southern Cooking†and how the introduction of food and techniques from Africa through the forced migration of slaves shaped that evolution.

The short answer is: profoundly. There is no Southern cooking as we know it without African influences, and there is no Southern cooking that doesn’t echo slavery in its roots. Okra, fried chicken, rice and beans, barbecue: all of these things trace their introduction to the plates of America from the hold of a slave ship...."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Rose, I am so glad to hear that Shannon's treatment can finally start and that you trust the new Doc. That is so important!

Erin, Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

To our BaWers preparing for Irma stay safe! We keep looking at the models and they seem to be changing rapidly.

• Like 9

I'm halfway through Walden, which has been on my Shame List for years.

I find it wholesome to be alone the greater part of the time. To be in company, even with the best, is soon wearisome and dissipating. I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers. A man thinking or working is always alone, let him be where he will. 

I'm too gregarious to enter fully into Thoreau's sentiments here; but that last sentence reminds me of a quotation that is a cornerstone of our homeschooling adventure: "The life of the mind is essentially solitary."

Also determined to finish The Encyclical Letters of Leo XIII. Almost up to the famous Rerum Novarum.

• Like 10

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers; I've posted this before ~

The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg

"The haunting story of two brothers: one happy, the other tormented by demons

George and Robert are brothers, but their upbringings couldn’t have been more different. George was raised by his fun-loving father, while Robert was brought up in the stern Calvinist faith, taught to see Satan lurking around every corner. The siblings were always enemies, and when George is found with a sword buried in his back, Robert is named the culprit, beginning a strange and terrible journey that will take him out of his mind—and into the arms of the devil himself.

This unique novel, first published in 1824, is one of the most remarkable explorations of supernatural evil in Western literature. A gothic masterpiece told from multiple perspectives, its influence can be felt in the works of authors from Robert Louis Stevenson to Stephen King."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Erin - any news from your test yet? How are you doing?

VC - Is Great Girl all settled in at school? Tell Wee Girl that John saw a picture of her from our trip and commented on "that's his ocean friend".

Someone want to recommend a Flufferton for me for this month? I don't want a long list--just a "here's a good one that's probably in your library that I think you would like. Not too steamy, characters you'll root for. Less than 300 pages too!" I've read the few Georgette Heyer's our library has and enjoyed them. Something else I would like?

Is a little steamy okay? A Rogue's Downfall by Mary Balogh has some slightly steamy scenes in it. It's three longer short stories and might be just the thing for you.

We are back from sailing. Sadly. It's not that I don't like home, just that I love the freedom of sailing. I've never been so free or so trapped as on the boat. It's really hard to give that up. And I have to get through a whole year before I can go back to it. On a more cheerful note - I have been enjoying the Honor Harrington series that my nephew gave me to read, saying they were tather like Hornblower books - ship books as I call them - albeit more bloody and graphic. I prefer the Hornblower level of graphicness but am surviving these by dint of skimming upon occasion.

I am sad to see that the trials and tribulations of my book a week friends continue. Holding everyone in the light.

Nan

How did your shoulder do on the trip?

I'm glad you have answers. Will they be able to put together a plan to help her feel better now?

• Like 12

I'm glad she's well. I hope she has a good supply of gray paint (or black and white) for that ashy aire.

A fun and informative post from the Word Wenches site ~

The shawl of beauty and grace

"Joanna here, talking about that fashion accessory of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, the shawl.

Why shawls? We wear form-fitted, sleeved outer garments mostly — coats and sweaters and parkas and anoraks and Macintoshes — in the Twenty-first Century and feel pleased and practical doing so. Why did folks spend centuries throwing loose garments around themselves that didn’t button up and had to be draped and fidgeted with in a manner that may strike us as awkward?

I think an ideal of feminine beauty was at the root of it. The drape and swirl of a shawl, the varied possibilities with all their minute adjustments were alluring to the watcher. Displaying the shawl was an art, and this length of silk or wool might well be the most expensive object a woman wore.

So let’s talk paisley, since we’re talking shawls...."

ETA: and here's a review of a book that sounds fascinating ~

The Cooking Gene by Michael W. Twitty by Redheadedgirl

"I want to sit down with Michael W. Twitty and talk food with him for about a million hours.

Twitty is a food historian who specializes in American antebellum slave cookery – what slaves were cooking and eating during the period of American Slavery from 1619 to 1865. He is especially interested in the evolution of slave cookery to “Southern Cooking†and how the introduction of food and techniques from Africa through the forced migration of slaves shaped that evolution.

The short answer is: profoundly. There is no Southern cooking as we know it without African influences, and there is no Southern cooking that doesn’t echo slavery in its roots. Okra, fried chicken, rice and beans, barbecue: all of these things trace their introduction to the plates of America from the hold of a slave ship...."

Regards,

Kareni

Twitty's book has been on my library list but I told my husband the other day that I was going to buy this one. History, food, social justice -- what's not to love? Twitty's Twitter handle is @KosherSoul for those interested in his book tour.

• Like 10

A currently free book that is a combination of urban fantasy, mythology, and science fiction.  I have to admit that the reviews made me chuckle.

"I found this story to be an amazingly accurate retelling of the NorseMyths. Excellent, highly recommended, two thumbs on fire."
 - Loki, Norse God of Mischief and Chaos (and God of Fire)

"Eight hooves up. As one of Loki's children, I approve."
 - Sleipnir, eight-legged horse child of Loki

"This is not an accurate representation of the Norse Pantheon. Pure fantasy, a fairy tale, don't believe a word of it."
 - Odin, All Father, leader of the Norse Gods

"I am supposed to be the hero in Norse Mythology!"
- Thor, Norse God of Thunder

Here's the book and the blurb ~    I Bring the Fire Part I : Wolves (A Loki Series)  by C. Gockel

"In the middle of America, Amy Lewis is on her way to her grandma’s house. She's being chased by a very bad wolf. Galaxies away Loki is waking up in a prison cell, strangely without a hangover, and with no idea what he’s done wrong — this time anyway. But he does know Thor is hiding something, Odin is up to something wicked, and there seems to be something he’s forgotten...

In this urban fantasy tale that is equal parts “Dresden Files†and “American Gods,†a very nice midwestern girl and a jaded, mischievous Loki must join forces to outwit gods, elves, magic sniffing cats, and nosy neighbors. If Loki can remember exactly what he’s forgotten and Amy can convince him not to be too distracted by Earthly gadgets, Earthly pleasures, or three day benders, they just might pull it off...

This first installment of "I Bring the Fire" is for anyone who suspects chaos and mischief makers might have their own redeeming qualities, and anyone who just wants a good fantasy romp through modern Earth, ancient Asgard, and beyond!"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Is a little steamy okay? A Rogue's Downfall by Mary Balogh has some slightly steamy scenes in it. It's three longer short stories and might be just the thing for you.

Oooooh, so it could count as the collection of short stories bingo square? Can you believe that with 8 pages of listings for Mary Balogh books, my library does not have this one? But I might just spring for the $3.82 kindle fee. Thanks!

• Like 10

I'm glad you have answers. Will they be able to put together a plan to help her feel better now?

Yes. We have her started on supplements & anti-inflammatory herbs (curcumin) now, and will be doing ~4 weeks of antibiotics, two different ones, plus more herbal support. When we see how she responds to that we'll make additional plans from there. We're changing her diet, trying to get in some exercise, and generally really going to focus on getting her well. The LND seems confident that she will start to feel better quickly once we start treatment and he thinks that the Meriven is going to help her pain & inflammation right away. Here's hoping.

• Like 12

Erin - any news from your test yet? How are you doing?

I made it through, and I'm in observation right now. There were still incompetent veins (what a description - doesn't everyone want competent veins?). The doctor put in more embolization coils so I'm hoping this procedure fixes the problem and the pain.

When I woke up from anesthesia, I didn't know where I was and two men were holding my head and legs which scared me. I came up swinging! I didn't hit anyone and I apologized profusely, but they just laughed. They weren't expecting me to put up a fight!

ETA: thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate them.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 13

Finished: Right Ho, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse. Absurd. Unbelievable. Delightful. Highly recommend.

I loooove Right Ho, Jeeves! My kind of "well written" grin.

About my shoulder - I had surgery as soon as possible because the doctor said I couldn't go sailing until 6 months afterwards. At 6 months, I was allowed to be on the boat, but I wasn't supposed to lift or haul anything. Usually, I do the winches, I do the anchor, I haul up the sails, and my husband deals with the engine and steers. We had to trade jobs. I am always scared before we leave for vacation but it was especially bad this year because my arm was still really weak, we were switching jobs, and the dog was lld and fragile, so we talked our youngest son into coming with us for the first 2 weeks. I was so glad we did! It took days for me to get my sealegs. I had trouble holding on with that hand when I lost my balance or had to climb in and out of the dinghey. It was pretty much impossible for me not to lift the dog up and down the companionway ladder or out of the dinghey. We ripped a sail because I refused to haul on a line in an emergency. I hurt pretty badly all the time because I was overdoing it, even with a third person. But by the time our son left us, we were better at each others' jobs, I had my sealegs, and I was enough stronger that I could at least hang on when the seas kicked up. We sailed very cautiously until the very end, when we had trouble finding a window in the weather for the long haul home. The dog survived, although she lost weight she couldn't afford to. The cat wasn't eaten by an eagle. We are safe home. Obviously the doctor was just about right about that 6 months. It was more like 6 1/2 months. I was super diligent about my excersizes all winter, spring, and summer and it paid off. Mostly, I have judged my progress by how I could cope with a milk jug lol. We had to decant it into a cup for me when I was first out of the sling. When we left, I could use (barely) a gallon jug.

Probably way more than you wanted to know. Sorry.

Nan

• Like 13

Yay, Erin! Patients with moxie do best!

Rose, so glad you seem to be on a path to healing for Shannon.

I got up at 4am today to get ready & loaded in six of my sister's cats to evacuate from Irma. I had much cacophony (cataphony???) on the six-hour ride. All here, safe & sound. Irma's projections seem to change every three hours or so.

You are a good sister.

I hope you and yours and everyone else, too, stays safe.

Nan

• Like 9

I got up at 4am today to get ready & loaded in six of my sister's cats to evacuate from Irma. I had much cacophony (cataphony???) on the six-hour ride. All here, safe & sound. Irma's projections seem to change every three hours or so.

That sounds like the plot for a cozy mystery ... or a really corny romance novel. Did you stumble across any dead bodies or handsome cowboys with checkered pasts on your drive back?

• Like 13

Stacia -- 6 cats in the car for 6 hours?!! That is service far above the call of duty!!  :patriot:  Do you have any favorites that might decide to skip the ride back home and stay with you permanently?!

And Kathy, boo to the cancelled grandkid sleepover. 

My sis-in-law, a native Floridian, has posted some really funny memes on her FB page in the last 24 hours, one of which looked like crayon scribbles all over the map of Florida entitled "Projected Paths of Hurricane Irma".

Nan -- I had forgotten about your shoulder and that you'd have to be so careful out sailing. I'm guessing the gallon jug of milk is posing no problems now?

I finished Broken Homes, the 4th in the River of London series, and as it things are left somewhat unresolved, I'll probably pick the next one up sooner than later. One of the things that made me laugh was the main character almost breaking the 4th wall to address the thing that grates most in the books, his constant "me and Lesley" instead of "Lesley and I"  The character speaks perfectly fine English otherwise.  Anyway -- the author spoke through Peter directly at me:

"It's not like me and Lesley are inconspicuous,' I'd said.

Nightingale had winced, as he always does, at my incorrect use of the accusative pronoun but I think I'm beginning to wear him down.

I wince every time, and it hasn't worn me down, yet, and I'm sure the old school and very proper Nightingale has been worn down either. We might be weary of it, but never accepting!

• Like 11

Aack! Double post.

But as long as I'm here....

Amy, I'm thinking the 6 cats in the car is a great set up for a romance. Officer Dreamboat notices a brakelight out, pulls over our fair Stacia, and falls for her good looks, great taste in reading material (he sees the paperbacks on the front seat) and her dedication to her sister and felines.  :lol:  But will his allergies get in the way of their destined love?!!

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 12

I finally finished Condoleezza Rice's No Higher Honor.  Only took me since January!

I suspect that my eyes are giving me trouble and slowing my reading.  I guess I should keep some cheaters where I keep my books (in the bathroom LOL).  I never wear cheaters, but that is because I am stubborn.

Not sure how long it's been since I've posted (I've been hiding in shame at taking so long to read one book).  So forgive me if this is redundant, but I'll mention several of the recent audiobooks I've done with my kids:  Robinson Crusoe, A Wrinkle In Time, Little Lord Fauntleroy, and Cinder.  Up next are a couple of Newberry books.  Someone gave me Pride and Prejudice and another Austen audiobook, but I would rather save them until my kids are a little older.  Before P&P I would like to do Jane Eyre.  I just loved that book as a tween, and i think my kids will love it too.  But even before that, probably A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and some others I enjoyed as a tween.  Even before that, I'd like to finish some more Newberry books.  They are hard to find in audio CD format, though.  (Unless I want to pay full price for new ones.)

Read-alouds are progressing way too slowly.  Just too busy to take the time for them.  I also think my eyes are messing with them too.

What to read next ... I have bought some "classics," and also one or two grown-up books by Sterling North which are supposed to be good.  I could use a little light reading for a change.  :)

• Like 13

Some books I finished this week ~

Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic Book 1)  by Melissa F. Olson

I'm not quite sure I understand the use of the number 1 above since I've previously read and enjoyed several books about the main character in this book.  I enjoyed this one, too; it's an urban fantasy.

I quite enjoyed Bone to Pick by TA Moore which I'd describe as a mystery with some elements of romance.  The leads are an FBI agent and a K-9 dog handler; both are male.  (Adult content)

St. Nacho's  by Z.A. Maxfield

This is a male/male love story that I also very much enjoyed; it happens to be currently free to Kindle readers.

The First Snowdrop  by Mary Balogh

This is an early book by Mary Balogh who is a prolific author of historical romances; this one was published in 1986.  I found the hero decidedly unheroic -- he came across as a spoiled young man -- that said, I'm still glad to have read the book.  

The Cat’s Meow by Lucius Parhelion

This free novella is reviewed here on the Dear Author site and is rated as a recommended read; it's a 1930s era male/male romance.  It's quite tame.  The review has a link to the site where you can obtain a free copy.

The Invasion of Tork (Tork and Adam Book 1)  by Claire Davis and Al Stewart

This is a contemporary story featuring two young men.  I’d describe Tork as mentally troubled; he is also intelligent and homeless.  Adam is volunteering at a homeless shelter and is a decidedly unsympathetic character when the story begins.  Both change during the course of the story.  This is currently free for Kindle readers.

See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team Book 2)  by Rachel Gibson

This was a re-read; it's an enjoyable (2003) contemporary romance featuring a hockey player and a journalist/writer.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Some books I finished this week ~

Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic Book 1) by Melissa F. Olson

I'm not quite sure I understand the use of the number 1 above since I've previously read and enjoyed several books about the main character in this book. I enjoyed this one, too; it's an urban fantasy.

I quite enjoyed Bone to Pick by TA Moore which I'd describe as a mystery with some elements of romance. The leads are an FBI agent and a K-9 dog handler; both are male. (Adult content)

St. Nacho's by Z.A. Maxfield

This is a male/male love story that I also very much enjoyed; it happens to be currently free to Kindle readers.

The First Snowdrop by Mary Balogh

This is an early book by Mary Balogh who is a prolific author of historical romances; this one was published in 1986. I found the hero decidedly unheroic -- he came across as a spoiled young man -- that said, I'm still glad to have read the book.

The Cat’s Meow by Lucius Parhelion

This free novella is reviewed here on the Dear Author site and is rated as a recommended read; it's a 1930s era male/male romance. It's quite tame. The review has a link to the site where you can obtain a free copy.

The Invasion of Tork (Tork and Adam Book 1) by Claire Davis and Al Stewart

This is a contemporary story featuring two young men. I’d describe Tork as mentally troubled; he is also intelligent and homeless. Adam is volunteering at a homeless shelter and is a decidedly unsympathetic character when the story begins. Both change during the course of the story. This is currently free for Kindle readers.

See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team Book 2) by Rachel Gibson

This was a re-read; it's an enjoyable (2003) contemporary romance featuring a hockey player and a journalist/writer.

Regards,

Kareni

Melissa Olson apparently stopped writing the Scarlett Bernard series for all of 6 months thus the first 3 and the second 2. Apparently she really did consider the series to be over but people begged her to continue. It's really confusing and I do not get it but the books are good. I'm just glad that I got the order right because of reading them very near the release date.

Stacia, I just keep picturing the sounds all those cats must of made! My cat hated car rides and screamed at us most of the way. As you said probably the start of a great cozy.

Erin, I was so glad you posted before I went to bed last night. It sounds like the surgery was a success. Yeah!

Nan, It's great to have you back with us. Very brave of you to go sailing with your shoulder. Not being a sailor I hadn't really thought about the physical end of it. Glad your ds went with while you found your sea legs.

Today will be devoted to the prep for the Horticultural Show and a trip to the dentist. The quilts are done, folded, and waiting by the door. Today will be devoted to baking and flower arrangements (dd). There is a new category for baking this year, cakes with vegetables. I went through my recipe collection and looked online. I may try a parsnip cake https://blissfullyscrumptious.com/2015/03/31/parsnip-and-ginger-cake/ but I have different toppings planned. Ds plans to enter the Men's Baking category which he won with Snickerdoodles last year. His category is an anything goes type which is fun.

Books.......I am finally actually reading Women of the Castle which I have had on my currently reading for months. All my audio book requests have appeared from holds. They stared arriving within minutes of my grand finish, naturally. Two weeks ago this would have been great but now it's intimidating! :lol: I am going to start next years quilt but not sure how many hours I plan to invest right now......it's literary as in Lucy Boston. Planning something along this line https://www.linapatchwork.com/lucy-boston-patchwork-crosses-tutorial/. Totally different colours, purples, greens,and reds.

• Like 8

Aack! Double post.

But as long as I'm here....

Amy, I'm thinking the 6 cats in the car is a great set up for a romance. Officer Dreamboat notices a brakelight out, pulls over our fair Stacia, and falls for her good looks, great taste in reading material (he sees the paperbacks on the front seat) and her dedication to her sister and felines. :lol: But will his allergies get in the way of their destined love?!!

Allergies might be too unsolvable. A dislike of cats because of a bad childhood experience might be better. Or a catty former fiancee with a cat? Now we just need some way for them to get stuck in a motel room with one bed for the duration of the hurricane...

Nan

• Like 10