Menu

For fans of Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife...

stephanier.1765

I'm 3 seasons late to the game but I recently discovered Grantchester on Amazon and I love it. Even though it is basically murder mysteries, it still has that same innocent appeal of time and place as Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife.

"In Grantchester, a young vicar and a veteran cop join forces to solve baffling murders around a placid English village in 1953."

What the dickens!

• Like 7

Heartbeat was another British show we used to watch. It has a million seasons. It's set in a small-town in the 50s and 60s, and the stories revolve around the police and doctors, beginning with a couple with a police husband and doctor wife. Try to watch it from the first season. The characters of the various townspeople are wonderful, as well as the music and cars from that era.

Another British series that is a MUST is the Darling Buds of May. It aired from 1992 - 94, and is set in small-town Kent in the 50s. It was Catherine Zeta Jones' big breakthrough, I believe, but my favourite actor in it is David Jason.

Edited by wintermom

What I'd like to know is, why do so many baffling murders take place in placid English villages?

:D

We've been been watching Father Brown and wondered this also...such small towns and so many murders! My son said that maybe that's WHY the towns are so small! The high murder rate keeps population growth under control. It's a good theory I guess, lol!

SaveSave

• Like 1

What I'd like to know is, why do so many baffling murders take place in placid English villages?

:D

Someone ran the statistics on Midsommer Murders years ago and discovered the murder rate per capita is much higher than that of London.  :lol:

I suppose the American equivalent of Midsomer is Cabot Cove, Maine. :D

• Like 2