Menu

Discmans and Audiobooks

Southern Ivy

Ok, dumb question - but audiobooks. 
I'm wanting my daughter to have a quiet time and listen to some audiobooks from the library. She'll specifically be listening to some while I'm working, so I don't really want it playing on the stereo in the living room. 

Do people still use discmans/cd walkmans? What do you all use? 

Trying to figure out the best way to get her listening to some audiobooks and not have to spend a ton on Audible. 

Edited by Southern Ivy

I haven't so much as even heard the term Discman in probably 20 years or more.

And I am totally dating myself by that term, I know. haha

Does your library allow you do download a digital copy of an audiobook? Then you could play it on an Ipod.

There is often a waiting list and/or they don't have the same books. Like Pippi Longstocking. They have it on CD, but not digital. 

Our library had digital books on a dedicated mp3 player called a 'playaway'. I ordered them through interlibrary loan and just had to supply my own headphones. (We have since moved to audiobooks on tablets using Audible and the library's Overdrive app.)

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 2

Our library had digital books on a dedicated mp3 player called a 'playaway'. I ordered them through interlibrary loan and just had to supply my own headphones. (We have since moved to audiobooks on tablets using Audible and the library's Overdrive app.)

Ours has some and she loved them, but I didn't see a ton. 

I may just see what I can find on Overdrive and just have to wait until they're available.

I bought portable CD players with USB drives and Bluetooth. That way they're covered no matter what device I use. They think they're cool and so far they've lasted pretty well. They don't mess with them as opposed to an iPod or something. Those would be a total distraction for my kids.

Overdrive app. Plug in your library card and download. Free.

FYI our library just let us know there is another app now available that also access the same OVerdrive library -- It is called Libby. I have not used it yet but the idea is it is supposed to be easier to use.

I also know the library in the city next door (Where we also have a library card because they are kinder than Austin in their library sharing privileges) uses a app called RBDgital to access their audiobooks so you might want to check your website for how to do it in your particular library.

(The City next door has many more audiobooks available than our own. Partly because it is larger I'm sure)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

We use audible, so I'm no help. But your post made me giggle.

We have just moved my ILs to assisted living, and a lot of their belongings are in our garage. I was sorting stuff this morning... and found a box with FOUR discmans! If you were close to us, I'd be offering them all to you. :)

Hive imitates life.

• Like 1

We use audible, so I'm no help. But your post made me giggle.

We have just moved my ILs to assisted living, and a lot of their belongings are in our garage. I was sorting stuff this morning... and found a box with FOUR discmans! If you were close to us, I'd be offering them all to you. :)

Hive imitates life.

Haha that's awesome. I do think my daughter will prefer using my tablet (HER tablet lately), but I was trying to figure out a way to listen to the audiobooks that they have at the library vs on Overdrive. 

How do you get by with not spending a ton on Audible? That's my main concern. We don't have a huge budget right now. 

Overdrive app. Plug in your library card and download. Free.

I use overdrive a lot, but I'm not finding some books that I'd like her to listen to through our library's Overdrive, just on CD at the library. I guess I could actually be a good homeschool mom and read those aloud to her, though. haha

I bought portable CD players with USB drives and Bluetooth. That way they're covered no matter what device I use. They think they're cool and so far they've lasted pretty well. They don't mess with them as opposed to an iPod or something. Those would be a total distraction for my kids.

Yeah, I can put the Overdrive stories on the the tablet, but I'm thinking she'll get distracted by her other games as well. 

FYI our library just let us know there is another app now available that also access the same OVerdrive library -- It is called Libby. I have not used it yet but the idea is it is supposed to be easier to use.

I also know the library in the city next door (Where we also have a library card because they are kinder than Austin in their library sharing privileges) uses a app called RBDgital to access their audiobooks so you might want to check your website for how to do it in your particular library.

(The City next door has many more audiobooks available than our own. Partly because it is larger I'm sure)

We have a membership to the city an hour from us as well. It uses Hoopla (but I can only get 12 things a month with it), Overdrive, RBDigital (only Magazines), and Tumble Books. I used Tumble Books at school and it wasn't very user friendly.  

Our current library system is about 8 very small towns and only has Overdrive.

I'll have to look at Libby. 

ETA: Tumble Books from this end looks a lot better and more user friendly! I think this is going to work well for dd. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

My kids use their tablets for audiobooks during quiet time, but I have them set up with a password so that they can't access anything while listening. I turn the book on and then lock the screen. They bring them to me to shut off when finished.

You can follow The Read Aloud Revival for deals on Amazon/Audible books. I've purchased a few books for $1!

• Like 2

My kids use their tablets for audiobooks during quiet time, but I have them set up with a password so that they can't access anything while listening. I turn the book on and then lock the screen. They bring them to me to shut off when finished.

You can follow The Read Aloud Revival for deals on Amazon/Audible books. I've purchased a few books for $1!

I'll have to see how to do the password. She's used to going into kid's mode and doing whatever in there, but I'm not sure how to do the password bit. 

One thing you can do in Overdrive ....at least with our library system is to search for books and then add anything interesting to your "wish list" and then it will show if it is available or not when you need a book to listen to.

For more popular books we can request holds on up to 10 books so I try to keep 6-10 books on hold at any one time.  Sometimes I am #72 on 3 copies (meaning I will have to wait forever for the book....but I keep moving up the cue) or I might be #4 on 3 copies which means I will get it very soon.  I can also search for books and limit it to children or teens and audio books and available.  Sometimes titles pop up that way I would never have found otherwise.

I would go in to your library and have them help you set it up.  Mention that you have trouble finding audio books that are available to listen to and they might have special tricks/tips for your particular library.

• Like 1

One thing you can do in Overdrive ....at least with our library system is to search for books and then add anything interesting to your "wish list" and then it will show if it is available or not when you need a book to listen to.

For more popular books we can request holds on up to 10 books so I try to keep 6-10 books on hold at any one time.  Sometimes I am #72 on 3 copies (meaning I will have to wait forever for the book....but I keep moving up the cue) or I might be #4 on 3 copies which means I will get it very soon.  I can also search for books and limit it to children or teens and audio books and available.  Sometimes titles pop up that way I would never have found otherwise.

I would go in to your library and have them help you set it up.  Mention that you have trouble finding audio books that are available to listen to and they might have special tricks/tips for your particular library.

I'm just impatient and don't want to wait ( :lol: But, I know I have to. :cursing: ) OR they aren't available for either branch system I'm looking on.  I have Overdrive and have used it for reading and audiobooks for the last couple of years. So, it's not an issue of setting it up. I can usually find the audiobooks that I want that are in the system. 

I was more just curious how people have their kidlisten to CD audiobooks from the library - like one I'm thinking of is Pippi Longstocking. The Library has it on CD, but it's not in Overdrive for either branch. I considered the CDs, but wasn't sure how I wanted dd to listen to it because I can't do my work and listen to a story in the background. 

I hope that makes sense. 

Edited by Southern Ivy

My kids use an mp3 player. I also still have an old discman.

My house is where old technology goes to die, though, so my kids have been listening to some books on tape this week that the library was giving away. On tape, people.

Years from now they'll tell their friends about our dinosaur technology like I talk about the family vacations we took and my Dad subjected us to his 8 track collection. 😆

My dd listened to all her audiobooks on cd. Brings back memories. :D

Definitely agree on pursuing them through the library. My ds has access to the NLS (national library service) because of his SLD, and even with that much access sometimes it's like wow how do we find a book... There's SO much out there, sometimes it's hard to narrow down. 

I think it's great to use the tech you have, mercy. If your library has a teacher's card (no fines, longer lending period), that can make getting the cds of audiobooks from them more convenient. What I do with the library is request a bunch of things on ILL and just pick them up as they come. So it's kinda like christmas. My ds thinks you go to the library to BUY things, haha, because we show up, take them off the shelf, swipe, and take them home, hehe. 

Is Charlotte's Web on your list to get? It's only THE most adorable book for that age. Then you get her a stuffed pig and she can play.  :)

• Like 2

My dd listened to all her audiobooks on cd. Brings back memories. :D

Definitely agree on pursuing them through the library. My ds has access to the NLS (national library service) because of his SLD, and even with that much access sometimes it's like wow how do we find a book... There's SO much out there, sometimes it's hard to narrow down. 

I think it's great to use the tech you have, mercy. If your library has a teacher's card (no fines, longer lending period), that can make getting the cds of audiobooks from them more convenient. What I do with the library is request a bunch of things on ILL and just pick them up as they come. So it's kinda like christmas. My ds thinks you go to the library to BUY things, haha, because we show up, take them off the shelf, swipe, and take them home, hehe. 

Is Charlotte's Web on your list to get? It's only THE most adorable book for that age. Then you get her a stuffed pig and she can play.   :)

It's not yet, but I'll makes sure it gets on there. :) 

I have a ton on hold through ILL right now. We have a drive through option which is nice. I can pick up our reserves after speech - super nice since this library is an hour away. 

Between this one and the one in our town, I'm able to find the majority of the books I want. 

I'll ask about a teacher card. :) 

• Like 1

My youngest son has a discman he uses occasionally... our library also has "playaway" players that are small mp3 players with a book downloaded. We also use tablets and we have a Bluetooth CD player boombox in the school space that they use with headphones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk