Menu

Yellow Squash

Elizabeth86

Sautee it with onions and serve it as a side dish.

Sautee it with onions, zucchini, and add chopped tomatoes at the end and sprinkle it with cheese and bacon and serve it as a fancy side dish.

Sautee it with various other vegetables and toss it with pasta and parmesan cheese and eat it as a main dish.

I like zucchini better though.

• Like 7

Sautee it with onions and serve it as a side dish.

Sautee it with onions, zucchini, and add chopped tomatoes at the end and sprinkle it with cheese and bacon and serve it as a fancy side dish.

Sautee it with various other vegetables and toss it with pasta and parmesan cheese and eat it as a main dish.

I like zucchini better though.

sounds good. thanks. I like zucchini better too, someone gave me the squash.

• Like 1

Slice, toss with a little olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt, roast in oven. Sprinkle with grated parmesan and enjoy! 

This is what I do. To make prep a tad quicker, slice it lengthwise. 

I also do the saute with onions, garlic, tomato, and fresh herbs like basil and oregano. Serve as side dish or on pasta with meat of your choice. 

I just got some and sliced the long way into four slices, then sautéed in olive oil until browned a bit on each side. Kosher salt on each side and generous amount of smoked paprika on top. I have also used zatar or sumac or (sparingly) berbere.

I have also sliced in half it the long way, brushed with oil prices or butter, and baked until soft, then added grated cheese and paprika.

Edited by Alessandra

I eat one small one most mornings with breakfast in the summer.  I saute it with mushrooms (it takes as long as the mushrooms), green peppers, onions, purslane, and spinach.  Pending morning I might use olive oil (most common) or coconut oil.  Then I add salt and serve it alongside two fried overeasy eggs.  YUM!

When we want it for lunch and/or supper (often in season since the plants are so prolific), I just slice it into half - 3/4 inch slices, add a tablespoon of butter, and toss it in our microwave on 3 cups fresh vegetables - then those eating can add salt or pepper as they like.  Everyone who's had it has loved it.  I often get "yum" comments when someone new tries it and it's so easy to make.

Fresh yellow summer squash with butter and/or salt has a really likable flavor on its own without having to dress it up.