Menu

voice texting

maize

My iPhone 5s with Siri is quite good. Most of the time she gets things right on or very close. When she's off, she's off by a mile, which is hilarious. Most of the time dh can understand what I'm saying quite easily. I'm used to telling her when to put in punctuation. However, my phone requires that I push the home button to activate Siri.

DH has a very new Android phone. His voice text is probably about as accurate as mine, but he can activate his just by talking to it, I think, no need to press the button.

• Like 2

I use it rarely on my android phone but if I had problems typing I would probably use it more often. It varies on accuracy.

Hopefully, someone else with more experience will use it.

A friend of mine sent me many messages one afternoon as she was voice texting as she rode along and it really worked quite well for her with a couple of mistakes which were easy for me to read into and get the actual meaning of what she was saying. 

ETA: I meant to say hopefully someone else with more experience will CHIME IN.

Edited by Gaillardia
  • Like 1

If you enunciate very clearly, it's working pretty well but there is always the one incident where something gets misspelled, sometimes hilariously so. Foreign sounding names are a bit of a problem but for everyday use, it's serviceable.

ETA: Both dh and I have androids.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

On my iphone 7, the voice-to-text is excellent.  I only need to activate the "Hey, Siri" app. I use it everytime I need to while I am driving.  I have not figured out how to use punctuation though.  My family knows when I am driving just by the texts. :)

DH does voice to text frequently. He just says "comma" or "period" and Siri fills in the punctuation for him. :-) 

• Like 3

DH does voice to text frequently. He just says "comma" or "period" and Siri fills in the punctuation for him. :-) 

Funny and true story.

I called a friend and left a voice message for her to call me back.  I kid you not, I seriously SPOKE the following, because I was so used to voicetexting:

"Hey Sally comma I was hoping you would be available period  Can you give me a call when you get in question mark" and so on.  I got to the end and realized what I had done, but it was too late!

• Like 14

Funny and true story.

I called a friend and left a voice message for her to call me back. I kid you not, I seriously SPOKE the following, because I was so used to voicetexting:

"Hey Sally comma I was hoping you would be available period Can you give me a call when you get in question mark" and so on. I got to the end and realized what I had done, but it was too late!

That is hilarious.

I use voice to text all,the time. Sometimes when I am cooking I carry on entire conversations using Siri. I also use it when I am in the pool and I get a text. Hey Siri read text. Hey Siri what time is it? Hey Siri what is the temperature?

I have an IPhone 6.

• Like 1

I only tried this once.  And it did NOT work for me. LOL  It spelled the words out.  Hm. I'll have to figure that out. :)

I'm usually brief anyway because I don't think fast enough and Siri cuts me off. :)

I only tried this once.  And it did NOT work for me. LOL  It spelled the words out.  Hm. I'll have to figure that out. :)

I'm usually brief anyway because I don't think fast enough and Siri cuts me off. :)

You have to say question mark.  If you say question it types out the word.

I do dislike that I have to keep talking or she cuts me off.  How rude!

• Like 1

On the iphone I have a picture of a microphone in my chat box for both regular texting and facebook messenger. But if you don't have the icon you have to enable it. It's not totally accurate. It's kind of hit and miss.

As for Siri, well, it took me literally about ten tries to get him (I have the male) to understand the name of a city I wanted to navigate to. I don't think it's my fault. It's a weird city name. You can say, "Siri, send a text to so and so" and Siri will say, "what do you want to say?" and then you can talk. But I don't know how well that works for longer messages. She might think you are done before you are done. She will say, "ready to send?" though.

When something messes up in a text (not the siri mode) I just delete. Sometimes the feature freezes up and says loading but when I hit done no text appears. I don't know why that happens. I tend to skip punctuation but I guess I can try saying, "period" next time lol.

• Like 1

On the iphone I have a picture of a microphone in my chat box for both regular texting and facebook messenger. But if you don't have the icon you have to enable it. It's not totally accurate. It's kind of hit and miss.

As for Siri, well, it took me literally about ten tries to get him (I have the male) to understand the name of a city I wanted to navigate to. I don't think it's my fault. It's a weird city name. You can say, "Siri, send a text to so and so" and Siri will say, "what do you want to say?" and then you can talk. But I don't know how well that works for longer messages. She might think you are done before you are done. She will say, "ready to send?" though.

When something messes up in a text (not the siri mode) I just delete. Sometimes the feature freezes up and says loading but when I hit done no text appears. I don't know why that happens. I tend to skip punctuation but I guess I can try saying, "period" next time lol.

You can teach Siri how to say words phonetically. My daughter has a common name but not as common spelling. I had to teach Siri how to pronounce it so she knew to call when I say her name.

You can teach Siri how to say words phonetically. My daughter has a common name but not as common spelling. I had to teach Siri how to pronounce it so she knew to call when I say her name.

My husband's name is unusual and she drives me crazy spelling it wrong. She refuses to learn no matter how many times I correct her. So I just changed his name to husband in my contacts. She seems to always understand when I say Hey Siri text husband,

• Like 1

I have a 5 year old iPhone 5, with a little icon that looks like a microphone.  It works pretty well unless it's an unusual word.  (As far as I know?) it doesn't do punctuation marks, so I just do one un-punctuated sentence and send it, another un-punctuated sentence and send it, etc.

It works in Spanish too if I push the little icon that looks like a globe.  That's fun.

My husband has some sort of Android and his doesn't seem to work as well.

I use voice to text all the time now on my very old iPhone.  Typing seems soooo slow.  It's pretty good if I speak slowly and purposely annunciate things well.  Even then, I usually have to go back and make a few changes.  It's still better than typing it all out!

• Like 1

They can fail in a spectacular way. DH's boss got a text from his wife while he was at work. She was trying to give him a mundane little FYI, but it got transcribed as, *ahem* strongly implying that she was alone and self-brewing some tEA. This showed up on a work email because of the way he had texting set  up.