Menu

Surefire suggestions to stop salespeople, etc from ringing bell?

Misha

We regularly get solicitors (even though property clearly states they're not welcome). We have menus shoved through the section between the door and wall, a certain religious group, and your run-of-the-mill salespeople. I really don't like anyone knocking on my door unless I'm expecting them. It disrupts our lessons or seems to happen at lunch or dinner time.

This happens at least once/twice a week and I'm ready to move at this point.

Any suggestions on how to effectively remedy this?

TIA!

I have a laminated sign, which I stick with a suction cup to the storm door. It has a picture of a little red schoolhouse and a school bus with a stop sign extended, and a school crossing sign. It says in large print,

Today is a school day!

Please do not interrupt us. Thank you.

That way we only get people who need us to sign for a package. It works much better than No Soliciting! I don't put it out every day any more unless we start to get a rash of interruptions or during standardized testing.

I'd share it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't check the copyright on the images, since it was just for my personal use.

• Like 3

I wish I knew a cure-all for this.  I used to have a "no soliciters" sign, but people would still knock and say they weren't soliciting.   :cursing:   Yes, you are "soliciting" my time, if nothing else.

Many times, we just didn't answer the door in the middle of lessons.  Our obnoxious barking dog eventually would make them leave, I suppose.  Our homeschool room is in the back of the house, so that made it easier to do, though.  Sometimes, I would answer the door if someone was particularly persistent and abruptly let them know that I was working (I do work from home) or that we were homeschooling.  Most of the time, people were politely apologetic and would go away.

It is really annoying.  I'll be reading to see if anyone else has good suggestions.

• Like 2

We have a No Solicitors sign on the door, and over the doorbell I have taped a piece of paper that says "Do Not Ring Doorbell".  They would have to push through the paper to ring the bell. No one has pushed it yet, I think it's been up 6 years. 

• Like 2

I have a laminated sign

A "baby is sleeping" sign also works well. People know that moms are scary when nap time is interrupted. No actual baby or sleeping required. 

"Beware of dog" can also be effective, put this one further out, where they will see it before approaching the door. 

• Like 3

I used to have a sign that said

ABSOLUTELY NO SOLICITING. ANYONE WHO WAKES A SLEEPING BABY WILL BE PUNCHED IN THE THROAT.

It worked.

A few weeks ago I had a long to do list and my toddler was refusing to sleep. I was rocking him in the living room and his little eyes had just closed and he let out a long, sleepy sigh....

And at that moment, two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked very loudly on the front door.

....let's just say they ran--not walked--off my front porch and will likely never be back.

• Like 6

My husband told me I wasn't allowed to put up anything that could be construed as a threat 😄

The baby sign sounds promising. I'm so tired of this occurring regularly.

Thanks, eveyone, for the suggestions!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I feel your pain, we lived in an older neighborhood that use to get tons of roof, gutter, window, security system solicitors, etc. It's mildly annoying when you get someone a few times a year, but a few times a week is obnoxious. The baby sleeping sign, just a handwritten note worked well for us.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

Years, ago, we were having a problem with JW's, and one day I was riding a green, rank horse. I had JUST gotten the heifers gathered to take them to the hill pastures when the JW's came driving in (way too fast) scattering the cattle. I came down HARD on the hood of the car with my stock whip! They haven't been back...  :lol:

I want a stock whip! 

• Like 2

Not exactly sure about this, but I think in our little city (spit of a town) you can contact the city and be put on the list of people who do not want solicitation. I need to check into that because there have been way too many door knockers and ringers lately. 

It is so annoying.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I had a long to do list and my toddler was refusing to sleep. I was rocking him in the living room and his little eyes had just closed and he let out a long, sleepy sigh....

And at that moment, two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked very loudly on the front door.

....let's just say they ran--not walked--off my front porch and will likely never be back.

What did you do???   :laugh:

Well, we don't have doorbell ringers as they'd be met at the front cattleguard by VERY large dog! He's actually very sweet (as long as you don't bug his sheep) but only the FedEx and UPS guys know that. 

Years, ago, we were having a problem with JW's, and one day I was riding a green, rank horse. I had JUST gotten the heifers gathered to take them to the hill pastures when the JW's came driving in (way too fast) scattering the cattle. I came down HARD on the hood of the car with my stock whip! They haven't been back...  :lol:

Oh, that is fantastic!  :thumbup:

Thankfully we haven't had anyone in years.  We are in a neighborhood where the houses are set very far back and people don't come.

But when we did, I would just peek my head out and say, "No thank you." and close the door.  I would not engage in any of their conversations.

I haven't really had to deal with this because we're in a gated, no-soliciting community.  There's still the occasional kid looking to cut grass or sell chocolate, but it's very rare.  Neighbors dropping in are even more rare.  But that's what makes it even more unnerving when it does happen!  I absolutely do not expect it.

I've thought about what kind of signs I'd use if it happened often enough to put out every day.  I'd love to go with "The children are armed."

• Like 1

Sit in a rocking chair on your front porch with a shotgun across your lap. Don't forget the blade of straw for your mouth. You might want to have banjo music playing in the background.

That ought to take care of it.

When we first moved here we had toddler twins and a three-month old.  And the old house came with huge hanging chimes as a doorbell. I ripped those out the first day.  :-)    Now all we have is a small note taped to door, "doorbell broken please knock".AND a "No SALES" sign next to the door.  I figure some folks might not know what soliciting is.  No sales - no excuses.  The one time a Jehovah Witness dared knock, I sicced my (then adult) son the argumentative, logical, gifted atheist in him. 

... I would just peek my head out and say, "No thank you." and close the door.  I would not engage in any of their conversations.

I don't, either, but many a school lesson (or nap) is ruined anyway by the interruption. The one that really ticks me off is the (only) phone company here. Dude, you have our phone number (though I'm not going to answer) and our billing address. Do not come out here and stand on my porch and bother me to try to tell me about some offer, as if I couldn't find you online if I cared.