Menu

My Dog Vomited a Baby Rat!

MiMi 4under3

And it's ALIVE ! Squirming around in the driveway.

I suspect he couldn't keep it down because it was probably moving around in his stomach.

He's a 70lb. Hound / Lab mix, the rat about 3-4 inches long (not including the tail).

Do I need to do anything for the dog?? 

I threw the rat in the woods and hosed off the driveway...

Edited by MiMi 4under3

I would call the vet and ask.

I feel sorry for the baby rat. I also feel sorry for you, because there are things in life that you really wish you could un-see, and this definitely qualifies. :ack2:

I know I probably should, but if I call the vet, of course they'll say to bring him in... 

And thanks, it actually wasn't such a bad scene... just a fuzzy creature in a pile of white froth.  :laugh:

• Like 1

Gah! That will be a good story someday. But today, ick.

Eh, a much better story is the time he overturned the kayak and caught the very large adult rat that was hiding underneath and how I screamed at him to drop it and then bludgeoned the rat with one of the kayak oars and sprayed blood across the front of my white tank top.  :D

• Like 3

I know I probably should, but if I call the vet, of course they'll say to bring him in...

And thanks, it actually wasn't such a bad scene... just a fuzzy creature in a pile of white froth. :laugh:

They might not say to bring him in -- he already vomited up the rat, so I would think they would just tell you what signs to watch for. And if they tell you to bring him in, you can always say you'll call in the morning and make an appointment... but in the meantime, what signs should you watch for? ;)

• Like 1

When I was in high school one of my cats ate a live vole. The poor the poor thing kept squeaking as it went down the cat's throat. Cat was fine and lived for many more years. But...yuck....

I'd just call the vet and ask what to watch out for.

Eh, a much better story is the time he overturned the kayak and caught the very large adult rat that was hiding underneath and how I screamed at him to drop it and then bludgeoned the rat with one of the kayak oars and sprayed blood across the front of my white tank top.  :D

Must. Stop. Reading. This. Thread. :ack2:

• Like 2