Menu

Science was my favorite subject in school, and here I am, hardly ever getting to it during our school week with my kids! I have a 6th grader, 4th grader, and a 3rd grader. After assessing our year so far, I think we are right on track with our grammar, writing, spelling, literature, reading, math, Latin, piano, and history. (whew! haha) BUT, I really want to do science with the kids. If only because I find it a fascinating subject. 

I read TWTM chapter on science, and was SO INSPIRED. I almost stood up and shouted: "We will be just like Aristotle!"

I purchased the Great Science Adventures, Discovering the Ocean, as per the recommendation in The Well Trained Mind, fourth edition. But, ... I'm not crazy about it. It feels awkward, and I thought we'd love all the cutting, gluing, etc, but I'm finding the sheets awkward to photocopy successfully. And, again, I just want to open to each day's "to do" for the lesson. I want it clearly laid out. If there are worksheets, I want to buy the additional copies needed and not have to perform photocopying gymnastics. 

I would love to hear if anyone has science curriculum suggestions that work well with multiple ages, and helps to incorporate the methodology in TWTM. I personally love FLL, WWE, WWS, and such that are completely scripted/laid out day by day! I cannot stress enough how much I love that type of curriculum. :) 

I would even be willing to spend more money in this area than I have for our other subjects. I feel like I lack the time to create successful lesson plans on my own (we also have a toddler and are looking into fostering a newborn). 

Any ideas fellow homeschoolers? Something you use that might fit our needs? OR, you use Discovering the Ocean and can tell me how you successfully implement it (the first experiment didn't make sense to me and so I think that combined w/the amount of paper manipulating caused me to lose heart)?

Maybe I should give Discovering the Ocean another go? I just bought a couple science encyclopedias off Amazon about the Ocean so that we'd have some color photos. So, maybe I just need to be told to suck it up and finish the curriculum. ;) 

I have never used Great Science Adventures.

I am in love with Berean Builders science series. It goes through the history of science (we kinda match it to our history) and has a notebook assignment for each lesson. It would work well for your kids ages. The only prep is gathering items for the experiment /demonstration but you can easily look ahead and organize a bunch of lessons at once. Most things really are readily in my house. I like how my kids are learning HOW scientific information was discovered in historical context.

And congratulations on that long list of subjects you've assessed as successful!!

• Like 2

Oh dear heavens above, NO to all that cutting and pasting from Dinah Zike's Great Adventures Science programs -- bless her heart! ;) (And yes, I do speak from having tried to use one of the Great Adventures, and I was not nearly as swamped with schedule and situation the way you are!)

In your situation, you need open and go -- not a bullet point guideline of suggested topics of information and experiments + busywork of paper folding and cutting.  :eek:

It sounds like you already know what you need -- a complete program with schedule all laid out for you with all the needed materials for experiments and activities right there for you. I'd suggest going for something that is geared for grades 4-6, which would cover your older 2, and the 3rd grader can stretch and join in for some of it. Or maybe you can sometimes do something separate for the 3rd grader -- an occasional Magic School Bus video or kit, or younger elementary aged book from the library on the same topic the older 2 are covering. The 3rd option below would match your 3rd and 4th graders, but would likely be young for your 6th grader, so you would likely need to add a few books or more in-depth activities to beef it up:

Noeo Science, level 2 (gr. 4-6)

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

Nancy Larson Science

level 3 (ages 8-11) -- table of contents (solar system, elements & compounds, physical changes, atmosphere, earth structure, plants, amphibians & reptiles)

level 4 (ages 9-12) -- table of contents (cells, plants, animals, ecosystems, energy, electricity)

Elemental Science -- secular

Classical progression of homeschool science plans for Elementary/Middle/High school in Biology, Earth Science, Chemistry, Physics

Sassafras Science Adventures (gr. K-5) -- designed for multiple ages in one family, with kits:

Zoology, Anatomy, Botany, Earth Science

Can you handle pulling together the materials as long as everything else is laid out for you? Maybe do that once a month: list everything you need, get it and assemble it, and have it ready to go for the next month of Science. If so, here are some more ideas:

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey -- secular

(level 1 = gr. 1-4 -- Life; Earth & Space; Chemistry)

(level 2 = 5-8 -- Biology)

Real Science 4 Kids: Focus On... -- Christian

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Astronomy

(elementary = gr. 1-4; middle school = gr. 5-8)

AIMS Science Activity books (gr. 3-5) -- secular

And as for making sure Science happens -- some options for scheduling:

- alternate with History, for a slightly longer block of time

2x/week = History

2x/week = Science

5th day of week = finish up any left-over History and/or Science

- loop schedule

Do as much of your planned schedule as works, and then start the next day where you left off in your schedule and complete the previous day's planned schedule, and then start in at the beginning of the next day's scheduled work. To help keep from always feeling like you're just "falling behind", schedule a planned "catch-up" day once every 2 weeks, which allows for catching everything up, but also for possible education games/videos/activities, field trips, and other regular outside-the-home educational opportunities. And plan for a 1-2 week longer overall school year schedule, to give you flexibility and breathing room in your schedule for anything that might unexpectedly come up.

- drop 1-2 subject a day and fill that spot with science -- example:

* Monday = drop History, substitute Science

* Tuesday = drop Writing, substitute Science

* Wednesday = drop Spelling and Grammar, substitute Science

* Thursday = drop Literature and Reading, substitute Science

* Friday = drop Science, do your other subjects

... and save Math, Latin, and Piano in your "back pocket" to sometimes be what is dropped instead of 1-2 of your LA subjects.

- or, rotate all subjects through being dropped once every week-and-a-half:

* week 1 Monday = drop History

* week 1 Tuesday = drop Writing

* week 1 Wednesday = drop Spelling and Grammar

* week 1 Thursday = drop Literature and Reading

* week 1 Friday = drop Science

* week 2 Monday = drop Math

* week 2 Tuesday = drop Latin

* week 2 Wednesday = drop Piano

* week 2 Thursday = start the cycle again...

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 6

Science is important to me. I am a scientist. And most "curriculum" I have seen does not inspire love of science in children, but is filled with relentless busy work and makes kids believe that science is mainly about memorizing vocabulary words.

You can have a good science education without designated curriculum - all the way until high school.

Library books, science centers, nature study, planetarium, field trips, documentaries. Interest led.

You don't need worksheets and quizzes and tests.

They can then use textbooks in high school. Before then, keep the curiosity alive, answer questions, keep them interested.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 14

I kind of get what you are talking about. I taught science for several years before I got married and I loved it. And my students loved it. We did tons of experiments, projects, etc. and then when I started homeschooling... Science got short shrift. I hated teaching it, the kids weren't in to the experiments, it was awful. We've been doing Apologia for the past three years and it's been going really really well. Science is the kids' favorite subject and we all enjoy it. We don't do all the experiments, but we do some. I don't recall if Christian content was something you were or were not looking for. Apologia is very Christian. But, it has worked well, all four kids at home are doing it together and we're learning a lot!

• Like 1

I second what Sadie said. There's plenty of good stuff out there and it's worth exploring to see what fits your style better, but in the end, it's really about putting in the time and just doing it.

Also in agreement with anyone anti-cutting and pasting. Honestly, some kids enjoy cutting and pasting and if yours happen to, that's great, let them loose on it. But that's not really "doing" science anyway.

• Like 3

Everything regenetrude says is the same for us.

I'll also add that we just have always talked about science. We see something online or on NPR, and it sparks conversations. It's not something we felt we had to do. It was just part of our lives. If you love science, just help them love it too at these ages.

• Like 1

Science usually loses because of time.

You might pick one day per week where you do more concentrated science. You might skip the curriculum and just pick library books and read lots of science. You might pick video science (from the library, teaching company, internet, etc) and just let the kids watch and absorb some science.

• Like 3

Thank you so very, very much. Truly! I feel like I should add a hundred hearts to my thank you. :)

Oh dear heavens above, NO to all that cutting and pasting from Dinah Zike's Great Adventures Science programs -- bless her heart! ;) (And yes, I do speak from having tried to use one of the Great Adventures, and I was not nearly as swamped with schedule and situation the way you are!)

In your situation, you need open and go -- not a bullet point guideline of suggested topics of information and experiments + busywork of paper folding and cutting.  :eek:

It sounds like you already know what you need -- a complete program with schedule all laid out for you with all the needed materials for experiments and activities right there for you. I'd suggest going for something that is geared for grades 4-6, which would cover your older 2, and the 3rd grader can stretch and join in for some of it. Or maybe you can sometimes do something separate for the 3rd grader -- an occasional Magic School Bus video or kit, or younger elementary aged book from the library on the same topic the older 2 are covering. The 3rd option below would match your 3rd and 4th graders, but would likely be young for your 6th grader, so you would likely need to add a few books or more in-depth activities to beef it up:

Noeo Science, level 2 (gr. 4-6)

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

Nancy Larson Science

level 3 (ages 8-11) -- table of contents (solar system, elements & compounds, physical changes, atmosphere, earth structure, plants, amphibians & reptiles)

level 4 (ages 9-12) -- table of contents (cells, plants, animals, ecosystems, energy, electricity)

Elemental Science -- secular

Classical progression of homeschool science plans for Elementary/Middle/High school in Biology, Earth Science, Chemistry, Physics

Sassafras Science Adventures (gr. K-5) -- designed for multiple ages in one family, with kits:

Zoology, Anatomy, Botany, Earth Science

Can you handle pulling together the materials as long as everything else is laid out for you? Maybe do that once a month: list everything you need, get it and assemble it, and have it ready to go for the next month of Science. If so, here are some more ideas:

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey -- secular

(level 1 = gr. 1-4 -- Life; Earth & Space; Chemistry)

(level 2 = 5-8 -- Biology)

Real Science 4 Kids: Focus On... -- Christian

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Astronomy

(elementary = gr. 1-4; middle school = gr. 5-8)

AIMS Science Activity books (gr. 3-5) -- secular

And as for making sure Science happens -- some options for scheduling:

- alternate with History, for a slightly longer block of time

2x/week = History

2x/week = Science

5th day of week = finish up any left-over History and/or Science

- loop schedule

Do as much of your planned schedule as works, and then start the next day where you left off in your schedule and complete the previous day's planned schedule, and then start in at the beginning of the next day's scheduled work. To help keep from always feeling like you're just "falling behind", schedule a planned "catch-up" day once every 2 weeks, which allows for catching everything up, but also for possible education games/videos/activities, field trips, and other regular outside-the-home educational opportunities. And plan for a 1-2 week longer overall school year schedule, to give you flexibility and breathing room in your schedule for anything that might unexpectedly come up.

- drop 1-2 subject a day and fill that spot with science -- example:

* Monday = drop History, substitute Science

* Tuesday = drop Writing, substitute Science

* Wednesday = drop Spelling and Grammar, substitute Science

* Thursday = drop Literature and Reading, substitute Science

* Friday = drop Science, do your other subjects

... and save Math, Latin, and Piano in your "back pocket" to sometimes be what is dropped instead of 1-2 of your LA subjects.

- or, rotate all subjects through being dropped once every week-and-a-half:

* week 1 Monday = drop History

* week 1 Tuesday = drop Writing

* week 1 Wednesday = drop Spelling and Grammar

* week 1 Thursday = drop Literature and Reading

* week 1 Friday = drop Science

* week 2 Monday = drop Math

* week 2 Tuesday = drop Latin

* week 2 Wednesday = drop Piano

* week 2 Thursday = start the cycle again...

I am starting to learn that whatever I feel is not getting done I have to make that thing the first lesson of the day for a while. Once I get back into the habit of doing it, or into a new curriculum, etc..then I may change the schedule back around.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 5

I second the NOEO suggestion.  I loved it because it was SO doable. Many days the 4-6 level had Usborne 2 page spread reading.  Sometimes I just read it with the kids, sometimes we outlined it, sometimes we just wrote down vocab words after reading. Depends on the kid and the time availible   So really you can take it to what ever level you want.  But it also added living books too, more so in the 1-3 grade level, but the 4-6 has some.  And boxed experiments were great when you have no time. For some reason it was the science curriculum that I could just get done.  I did all three topics in level 4-6 and felt that it was a thorough and organized covering of science topics and felt it prepared my kids well for going to the next level in science.  You could easily do this with a 4-6 grader and depending on the 3rd grader they could join in. you could add some of the books from the lower level for them to maintain interest.

One thing I wish NOEO had, was something that tied it all together a little more to get the information to stick.  The sample of Elemental Science seemed to do something like that, but i didn't like their coverage of the material quite as much. and it wasnt quite as simple and open and go.

On of the scheduling things i did before NOEO was to plan a experiment week, where i made extra effort to do the experiments, because sometimes they just take lots of extra energy and clean up, setting aside a week to have extra time and energy  to focus on that helped it to happen

Other than the above ideas, another is to use a science text as your spine, and then supplement with books from the library for the topics in the book. We did this with Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space.  

If you are looking for hands-on right now, and totally scripted, have you looked at Inquiry in Action?  It is free from the ACS and when we did it at co-op it was very successful. Every experiment worked, which is saying something.  

http://www.inquiryinaction.org/download/

Like others have mentioned, we do not like cut and paste here. We don't even like coloring pages sometimes. But we definitely do not like "busy work."  Since you are the teacher you get to decide what the kids must do and not do. Don't let your curriculum bully you into doing what you don't think is useful.  =) I get that it's hard--I am a box checker myself.

Everyone finds what works for them. I agree that science just takes time. It really does. For me, personally, I NEED to have my stuff all ready to go. I don't have multiple kids to teach these day (I have two kids, five years apart and the older is at public high school) so what works for me won't work for you.

But, the best science advice I ever got was from a mom of four who was a great science homeschooler.  She suggested finding a family and making a science afternoon...but it involves a commitment to actually doing the science. They would get together and plan out the topics and the year and split up the cost and the teaching. I didn't have a science buddy, but I did learn to plan out my science topic for the year and I plan my experiments and I buy and assemble everything before school starts.

Yes, it is a huge pain in the butt, but I have a big storage container, and some boxes and a few shopping bags in a pile in a very easy to access place. In it I have EVERYTHING I need for a year of science.  I have balloons, I have foam balls, rocks, a rock testing kid, a compass, a flashlight with fresh batteries, a globe, a bag of sand, a bag of potting soil, some empty 1 liter bottles, some clay, a set of density cubes, sand paper, rulers, a scale.... you get the idea.  For me, personally, I need to have every freaking thing down there, down to the index cards or I won't do it. I just won't.  Knowing I have it, that the $$ was spent and it is sitting in a nice pile in the basement means I MUST do science. I also do it early in the day, before lunch. Oddly enough, it never takes as much time as I think it will and I am always so happy when we get it done, lol

I also plan 'make up weeks' in our school year. Those are weeks where I get all caught up on everything that i haven't done yet. I also give myself the occasional 'make up day' for science. We sort of alternate science or history, so sometimes I turn Friday or a random Tuesday into a make up day and make sure to cover what has been missed. I put it right in my weekly planner 'make up day' whenever I feel like I've not had on in a while.

For actual science this year I am using CPO earth and space, next year we will do CPO life science and in 8th it will be Derek Owens Physical science. I also like 'open and go' and for us, CPO really works. I have the teacher's book and it has a nice schedule all laid out for me, lol..only I can do it much quicker because it's just us.

• Like 3

Science is important to me. I am a scientist. And most "curriculum" I have seen does not inspire love of science in children, but is filled with relentless busy work and makes kids believe that science is mainly about memorizing vocabulary words.

You can have a good science education without designated curriculum - all the way until high school.

Library books, science centers, nature study, planetarium, field trips, documentaries. Interest led.

You don't need worksheets and quizzes and tests.

They can then use textbooks in high school. Before then, keep the curiosity alive, answer questions, keep them interested.

I can't agree enough with this and I am NOT a scientist--but it is my daughter's love. Thankfully I discovered this somewhat by accident. One year I just didn't have time for science (multiple health and other issues going on in the home), and I decided my dd could "unschool" for science that year. Together we chose a stack of books that interested her, some just for reading, some for experiments. I told her to do something for science 30 minutes per day. She could read, do an experiment, go in the back yard and nature journal, copy a diagram into her science notebook, or journal about something she did in science (I asked her to write something in her journal once a week and to check in with me). I also told her to make a list of needed resources for experiments or activities and post it on the fridge, knowing that we'd get items in a few days (so, don't ask right when you need it! Be willing to wait or figure out an alternative with something you find at home). 

Best science year we had had to date! I continued to let her do interest-led science and science fairs for the next few years, and jumped into a textbook in 9th grade. She did all kinds of things, fascinating things I never would have thought to do with her. And she plans to go into nursing at this point. 

Anyway...if you are stuck with not having a lot of time to get to science right now, either just choose some interest-led books to read or let your kids dig in and discover some fun on their own within parameters. You may not need a full-fledged curriculum (and especially not one that requires all kinds of cutting and other prep work). Explore and enjoy. Go on nature walks every once in awhile. Go to museums and on field trips. Visit bee farms and maple syrup farms etc... 

• Like 6

SWB has a lecture (Science in the Classical Curriculum) that absolved most of my issues with science being meh while we're hitting everything else. This year, what's working for us, is a combination of mysteryscience.com and Quark Chronicles with outlining, vocabulary, and summaries for my oldest. HTH

Here is a great article written by Cheryl Lowe of Memoria Press (whose background is actually in science) that might make you feel okay with less science in the early years. It made me feel better about my science failures in the early years even though I have a degree in science. When I was in search of the perfect science curriculum, MP was never on my list. However, I ordered a nearly complete core that contained MP Birds, and we loved it. It was fun, it was getting done and dd was learning. Even my children who haven't used Birds yet, can identify every bird at our feeder. I'm now at peace with laying a solid foundation in reading and math, while enjoying birds, insects, trees and stars. While the MP materials might not be as perfect for you as they are for me, know that it's okay to do less. Read books - spark their interest so that when it is time for serious science learning, they are actually looking forward to it.

Edited by SevenDaisies
  • Like 2

For science up to grade 6, we don't really take a curriculum approach.  I always include some science related books in our reading for the year.  On nasty days we often watch a science documentary.  And we try and get outdoors and do nature study. 

Most years I pick two subjects to explore, and I make a point of finding some nice books or movies or community resources. 

The most helpful thing I've found is the Outdoor Hour Challenge for nature study.  Even that alone, IMO, is better than the curricula I've seen.

For the middle school years, I think I would take the same approach, and perhaps add in a science fair aspect, and harder books. Maybe some projects if that is a possibility - something like qualifying for amateur radio means learning a lot of science, for example. More college type science classes don't start here until grade 10, so I wouldn't be worried about that until then.

Edited by Bluegoat

I am very impressed with Mystery Science. I am using it for 3rd-5th grades. My child has been doing it almost entirely independently, mostly because I am spending so much time working with my older kids and don't have much time for teaching her science a science program.

I made a weekly plan for her.

On Monday she watches the Mystery Science video and does the experiment/activity.

Tuesday she does the lesson activity/worksheet that goes with the Mystery Science lesson.

Wednesday she writes a journal entry to describe the science principles she learned and illustrates it. She uses paper with the blank top half and lined bottom half. After she explains it to me, she files it in her science binder under the appropriate tab (life science, earth and space, physical science, or nature of matter).

On Thursday she completes one piece of a science lapbook (weather) that I preprinted.

On Friday she reads a science library book. I checked out a pile of them for her to choose from.

She is learning a lot of science and she can do this almost independently.

I didn't read the responses, I'm sorry.  So maybe this was mentioned already.

But what I do is I alternate science and history.  We study history during the "cold" months...October through March.  And then we swap over to Science and study that from April through September.

Yes, we do summer school...but I cut our schedule WAY back in the summer and sometimes, it's just science and review of other topics.  

I have written my own science programs for the past few years.  It takes a LONG time, and is a lot of legwork.  So this year, we're going to try Science Fusion from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.  

Has anyone tried R.E.A.L Science Odyssey Physics? If so, would you recommend it? I may be homeschooling both my boys, 3rd grade, 6th grade, next year and am trying to brainstorm curriculums that might fit for both of them in Science and History. History I can do, science is a little tougher. They are both on track, my eldest an accelerated learner so I don't want to hold him back too much. He's been home with me before and is working on Ellen McHenry 'The Brain' right now and loving it. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried R.E.A.L Science Odyssey Physics? If so, would you recommend it? I may be homeschooling both my boys, 3rd grade, 6th grade, next year and am trying to brainstorm curriculums that might fit for both of them in Science and History. History I can do, science is a little tougher. They are both on track, my eldest an accelerated learner so I don't want to hold him back too much. He's been home with me before and is working on Ellen McHenry 'The Brain' right now and loving it. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk