Menu

Where can I find 100% cotton "lounge wear" pants for girls?

MercyA

As most of you probably know, the CPSC has regulations for children's sleepwear. They state: "To protect children from burns, these rules require that children’s sleepwear must be flame resistant and self-extinguish if a flame from a candle, match, lighter or a similar item causes it to catch fire. The rules cover all children’s sleepwear above size 9 months and up to size 14 and require that (1) the fabric and garments must pass certain flammability tests; or (2) be "tight fitting" as defined by specified dimensions."

What this means in practical terms is that all children's pajamas are either tight-fitting or polyester. Some manufacturers and independent sellers get around this rule by calling their pajama-like pants "lounge wear," but they are hard to find.  

I'm looking for loose-fitting, 100% cotton lounge pants for my daughter, preferably with fun prints. We don't like the low rise on girls' sweatpants, and boys' sweatpants don't come in the colors she likes. I've checked thrift stores, consignment stores, and eBay, but just about everything loose-fitting is polyester. I don't sew, alas, and most Etsy items are either out of my price range or only come in little girls' sizes. 

Does anyone have a source for these kind of pants? 

Edited by MercyA

I don't know how old your daughter is, but have you considered women's sizes?   You may be able to find some extra small or petite that fit.

That's a great thought, but she is still too short for women's sizes. 

Edited by MercyA

Thank you, and I agree!!  :laugh:

Look for "joggers" which are in style right now. They will probably be cotton with a percentage of lycra for stretch. Hanna Andersson has some that may be organic cotton. You can order from Marks and Spencer in the UK. They sometimes have good shipping deals. http://www.marksandspencerlondon.com/us/l/kids-girls/pyjamas-and-robes/pyjamas/ 

If you can sew, they are very easy, and there are some good free patterns. If you can't sew, you can buy them on etsy or similar. 

And if she's on the upper end of girls, check out XS in juniors and women's sizes. Capri length will be ankle length.

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 2

I don't know what frame your dd has, but I had to get my dd cotton pajamas due to eczema, and they were never super tight at all.  But she does have a bit smaller frame.  Here are the places I bought cotton pajamas:

cwdkids.com

hannaandersson

disney store (online.  look at both the girls and women section)  (girls pjs tend to be called pj pals there)

target (women's section.  xs really does work sometimes)

Hanna Andersson has cotton sweatpants, too, by the way.  

You also might google flannel pants for girls.  Those are often cotton and have different patterns.

• Like 1

They cannot legally sell you the wide leg lounge pants as sleepwear (or misinterpretable as sleepwear) without the flame retardant. The only people you can probably talk into doing it are small scale sellers on Etsy who aren't following all the rules and regs anyway.

That said, they're easy to make - a beginner project if you have any sewing skill at all (or honestly even if you've never sewn anything - lounge pants for girls is an entry=level project).  I used to make them out of used sheets from the thrift store.

• Like 1

I feel your pain! I really don't like polyester clothes but I think my 4th grader is kind of old for the tight fight cotton pjs. I found pj pants on amazon Andrew Scott brand. I don't see any girls though. Pj pants really are very easy to sew, it would be a good beginner project if you have a sewing machine.

It's pretty much impossible to find them in a store.

Edited by sarasue7272
  • Like 1

You also might google flannel pants for girls.  Those are often cotton and have different patterns.

I had searched for many combinations of cotton / pajama pants / lounge pants, but hadn't thought of searching for "flannel pants," for whatever reason.   :blush:

I ended up finding these, for anyone else who is interested:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8ZCMQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Unisex-Youth-Cotton-Flannel/dp/B017OHG0QE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486856171&sr=8-1&keywords=cozy+bear+pants

Thank you all so much for your helpful and thoughtful suggestions!!!

Edited by MercyA