Menu

Dairy free meal ideas to make ahead, for a college kid??

TheReader

My niece is lactose intolerant, and realizing how difficult it is to be dairy free on a college meal plan. She and her roommate are splitting the cost of lactose intolerance pills (they both need them), but it's still expensive for college kids.

What are some dairy free meals I could make ahead for her and freeze, that she could heat in the microwave?

She has frozen food like chicken nuggets, but I'd like to make them some real food. We aren't remotely dairy free, though, so all my easy ideas are things like "oh, taco meat..." But who wants a taco without cheese? Or, "oh, spaghetti..." but that's the one thing she can get in the cafeteria already.

She's here this weekend, and I'd like to send her home with at least one, and more over the next weeks.

Thanks!

ETA: Things I have thought of so far:

Chili

Bbq chicken tenders (they could heat and eat in wraps, on potatoes, etc)

Chicken salad

Pasta salad with chicken, veggies, etc

After that, I draw a blank. I'd like to have lots, though, so load me up with ideas, please. :)

Edited by TheReader

LOL, someone who doesn't eat dairy wants a taco without cheese.

(My GFDF dd took leftover taco meat for lunch just yesterday.)

Well, true, but she only recently realized her issues were due to lactose intolerance, so she still does want cheese. I'd be afraid she would eat the taco, but add cheese, so use her pills....which would defeat the purpose of sending her stuff she can eat w/o needing to use her pills.

(She commented just tonight that the hamburgers at school can't really be eaten without cheese, which is what made me think that about the tacos)

Any roasted meat(or crockpot meat) like chicken, roast beef, pork roast. You can slice it and send a side or two like mashed potatoes made with chicken broth instead of butter and milk, rice, or roasted veggies. 

I make a homemade chicken noodle soup that has a lot of homemade noodles and there is no dairy- just flour and eggs in the noodles. 

Carnitas are super easy to reheat and are not usually served with cheese, unlike tacos.  Corn tortillas and carnitas and maybe some charro beans. 

• Like 1

If she still likes the cheese, maybe think of sending her some of the lactose free cheese or goat cheese to go along with those types of meals. We've been dfgf for years now and got used to things like tacos and burgers without cheese, but now that it's more common, we've found those alternatives. They would be pricey for a college kid though. But maybe buy a brick or two of goat cheddar, shred it and freeze it for her to use. It taste good and it's a great alternative since typically those who have issues with cow milk are ok with the goat. We have a cow dairy allergy and a few intolerances and are ok with it.

• Like 3

If she still likes the cheese, maybe think of sending her some of the lactose free cheese or goat cheese to go along with those types of meals. We've been dfgf for years now and got used to things like tacos and burgers without cheese, but now that it's more common, we've found those alternatives. They would be pricey for a college kid though. But maybe buy a brick or two of goat cheddar, shred it and freeze it for her to use. It taste good and it's a great alternative since typically those who have issues with cow milk are ok with the goat. We have a cow dairy allergy and a few intolerances and are ok with it.

Do you find these cheeses in a regular grocery store, or something like Whole Foods, or something even more specialty? I would love to do this for her!

Baked egg with veggies in a muffin tin?

Fried rice with egg & mixed veggies?

Little chicken pot pies?

and, wow, I'm realizing we eat a lot of cheese here.

Me too. I could do gluten free much more easily with what we normally cook/eat....dairy free is so much harder! I feel for her, trying to do it without a kitchen of her own....

Any roasted meat(or crockpot meat) like chicken, roast beef, pork roast. You can slice it and send a side or two like mashed potatoes made with chicken broth instead of butter and milk, rice, or roasted veggies.

I make a homemade chicken noodle soup that has a lot of homemade noodles and there is no dairy- just flour and eggs in the noodles.

Carnitas are super easy to reheat and are not usually served with cheese, unlike tacos. Corn tortillas and carnitas and maybe some charro beans.

Oh, good ideas! And carnitas are definitely something common here, and my husband makes great charro beans. Adding this to the list...

• Like 1

Oh, good ideas! And carnitas are definitely something common here, and my husband makes great charro beans. Adding this to the list...

You now the rules...you have to post how your husband makes his charro beans! I'm always looking to improve mine,  but I recently came back from a week in Texas and every charro beans there is better than mine.  What is your dh's secret??

Shepher'd pie frozen into small glass Pyrex dishes. Make the mashed potatoes on the top with olive oil and broth (or rice milk) instead of butter and milk. We use apple juice or milk subs (usually rice milk or almond milk) in pancake or muffin recipes. Does she have a decent sized fridge? If so, a bag of prewashed lettuce, a goat cheese log, some nuts of choice, and cooked chopped chicken on hand makes it easy to put a hearty salad together. I would encourage her to keep apples, oranges, and bananas on hand for snacks to eat with a handful of walnuts or almonds.

Some dairy intolerant people I know tolerate hard cheeses like sharp cheddar cheese better than the softer cheeses. If she really craves cheese on something, I would advise she switch to sharp cheddar cheese for that once in a while dairy splurge.

• Like 1

Do you find these cheeses in a regular grocery store, or something like Whole Foods, or something even more specialty? I would love to do this for her!

I think it will depend upon your area. I've found them in my local grocery store (meijier, trader joes and my local mom and pop store). They aren't located in the cheese aisle by the dairy with the conventional shredded cheese, but in the "fancy" cheese usually in the produce/deli areas. If you have a taser joes nearby that where I've found them to be the least expensive.

• Like 1

You now the rules...you have to post how your husband makes his charro beans! I'm always looking to improve mine, but I recently came back from a week in Texas and every charro beans there is better than mine. What is your dh's secret??

So, the beans he makes in the crockpot are pinto beans, with bacon, cilantro, a pepper (jalapeño, usually), green onion, and salt/pepper, possibly with garlic. But he has some specific order of when to add everything....after x amount of time, the bacon goes in, then after x amount more, the cilantro, etc. I'll have to ask him.

And actually, these might be borracho beans, not charro beans.....I mix those up. But, he's Hispanic, so he just does it how his mom taught him, and it's amazing. We will often eat his beans as a meal, just that and cornbread. So good.

• Like 2

So, the beans he makes in the crockpot are pinto beans, with bacon, cilantro, a pepper (jalapeño, usually), green onion, and salt/pepper, possibly with garlic. But he has some specific order of when to add everything....after x amount of time, the bacon goes in, then after x amount more, the cilantro, etc. I'll have to ask him.

And actually, these might be borracho beans, not charro beans.....I mix those up. But, he's Hispanic, so he just does it how his mom taught him, and it's amazing. We will often eat his beans as a meal, just that and cornbread. So good.

These sound awesome- I'd love to know the details after you talk to him!  Dh and I consider beans and cornbread a treat meal and these would be so good!

• Like 1

My regular grocery store doesn't have it, but I've gotten dairy-free cheese at Whole Foods.   Diaya is one brand name you can look for.   

You could also send her some butter, ice cream, or yogurt substitutes, if those are foods she enjoys.   Fleishmann's original margarine is completely dairy-free, but many other butter substitutes do contain milk.   Silk and So Delicious make really good non-dairy yogurt, and So Delicious makes really good non-dairy ice cream (my favorites are the flavors made with almond milk or cashew milk).   

Chocolate is another food that I've had a hard time finding without milk or lactose.   I can tolerate milk fat and whey, but not lactose, whole milk, or milk powder, so typically dark chocolate is the only kind that meets those criteria (not completely milk-free, but trigger-free for me).  Ghirardelli Intense Dark Sea Salt Soiree squares or Dark and Mint Chocolate squares are OK for me.

• Like 1

These sound awesome- I'd love to know the details after you talk to him! Dh and I consider beans and cornbread a treat meal and these would be so good!

He says "I don't have strict measurements or anything, and it's different every time, but the basic idea is this..."

Beans, with 2 or 3 garlic cloves, high for 2 hours

Add bacon, high for 4 hours

Add cilantro and green onion, and optional jalapeno, and seasonings, high for 2 hours

Usually he does a pound of dried beans, no presoaking, a pound of bacon or a ham bone (no bacon then), and he puts the cilantro and onion in whole, usually one bunch of cilantro and a couple of stalks of green onion. One pepper, whatever type you use. Two if you like it really spicy, but we don't.

You can tweak the setting from high to low depending on how your crockpot is, stir periodically and turn it down if it starts burning, as long as the beans are getting soft. I feel like we turn it down to low at some point, but he says no.....

Not sure if this is helpful or not, we're pretty imprecise cookers, and he in particular tweaks things every.single.time. so no one can follow his recipes later. But, these are some of the best beans I've ever eaten...

• Like 2

My regular grocery store doesn't have it, but I've gotten dairy-free cheese at Whole Foods. Diaya is one brand name you can look for.

You could also send her some butter, ice cream, or yogurt substitutes, if those are foods she enjoys. Fleishmann's original margarine is completely dairy-free, but many other butter substitutes do contain milk. Silk and So Delicious make really good non-dairy yogurt, and So Delicious makes really good non-dairy ice cream (my favorites are the flavors made with almond milk or cashew milk).

Chocolate is another food that I've had a hard time finding without milk or lactose. I can tolerate milk fat and whey, but not lactose, whole milk, or milk powder, so typically dark chocolate is the only kind that meets those criteria (not completely milk-free, but trigger-free for me). Ghirardelli Intense Dark Sea Salt Soiree squares or Dark and Mint Chocolate squares are OK for me.

Thank you, this is helpful!

She says she can eat frozen yogurt, and we stocked her up on that when she moved in, and I send her Lactaid milk pretty often. She just found some lactose free ice cream, so I will have her send me that info, too, and I will stick her up, and look for these cheeses.

She doesn't seem to have a problem with chocolate, or doesn't eat it enough to be bothered by it, but that's a good tip I would not have thought of. I did find it hard to find non-dairy butter substitutes, to use when I cook for her, so thank you for naming one! I looked at several before I found one.

I went over a list of options with her and picked out future meals; the plan we've arrived it is that when I cook something from the list, I'll make enough to reserve a portion for her and her roommate, and once I have 5 or so labeled and frozen, take them to her. She liked that idea, and it is certainly less work for me than doing a bunch at once. :)

I have to avoid dairy and love tacos without cheese. I even love pizza without cheese, just get extra sauce to make up for it.

I don't find it difficult to eat anywhere, so maybe she needs to try more things she leave cheese off of easily (sandwiches, pizza, etc.).

Frozen:

I love burritos and just don't add the cheese. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/brown-bag-burritos

You could do calzones with sauce, veggies, etc. and leave out the cheese.

I have to avoid dairy and love tacos without cheese. I even love pizza without cheese, just get extra sauce to make up for it.

I don't find it difficult to eat anywhere, so maybe she needs to try more things she leave cheese off of easily (sandwiches, pizza, etc.).

Frozen:

I love burritos and just don't add the cheese. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/brown-bag-burritos

You could do calzones with sauce, veggies, etc. and leave out the cheese.

I think it's only the limitations of a small college cafeteria. Things like, there's only one sauce in the pasta bar that is dairy free. There are only two sauces on the stir fry bar that are dairy free. They can't do the burgers or hotdogs, because the college toasts and butters all the buns. The salad dressings available in the main cafeteria are all dairy based or not appealing, and the prepackaged ones they can buy with vinaigrette already have cheese added. The "home style cooking" line usually has dairy used, either in cream sauces, cheese, or butter. Etc.

Really just a case of the school isn't accommodating to dairy free students, and the options they do have get too repetitive when that is all they have access to. They don't have a kitchen, but do have a refrigerator/freezer (full sized, shared between 8 girls) and microwave access.

I know she does well at home, but when her options are all prepared for her already, it's much harder.

He says "I don't have strict measurements or anything, and it's different every time, but the basic idea is this..."

Beans, with 2 or 3 garlic cloves, high for 2 hours

Add bacon, high for 4 hours

Add cilantro and green onion, and optional jalapeno, and seasonings, high for 2 hours

Usually he does a pound of dried beans, no presoaking, a pound of bacon or a ham bone (no bacon then), and he puts the cilantro and onion in whole, usually one bunch of cilantro and a couple of stalks of green onion. One pepper, whatever type you use. Two if you like it really spicy, but we don't.

You can tweak the setting from high to low depending on how your crockpot is, stir periodically and turn it down if it starts burning, as long as the beans are getting soft. I feel like we turn it down to low at some point, but he says no.....

Not sure if this is helpful or not, we're pretty imprecise cookers, and he in particular tweaks things every.single.time. so no one can follow his recipes later. But, these are some of the best beans I've ever eaten...

This is perfect! I'm good without measurements- the ingredients and the times are pretty helpful.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

Trader Joe's sells vegan cheese if she's having a hard time giving up cheese. You can also buy lots of vegan snacks/condiments/grab-and-go stuff as those will all be dairy free. We do lots of stir frys, salads, sandwiches, subs, veggie pizzas, rice, soups, chilis and veggie curry. Rice and bean burritos could be frozen and eaten for breakfast or dinner time. You can buy bags of dry beans for her to soak and cook up, then freeze to be added to stuff as needed.

I'd also look for Indian, Japanese or Mediterranean foods as those are traditionally dairy free. 

I think it's only the limitations of a small college cafeteria. Things like, there's only one sauce in the pasta bar that is dairy free. There are only two sauces on the stir fry bar that are dairy free. They can't do the burgers or hotdogs, because the college toasts and butters all the buns. The salad dressings available in the main cafeteria are all dairy based or not appealing, and the prepackaged ones they can buy with vinaigrette already have cheese added. The "home style cooking" line usually has dairy used, either in cream sauces, cheese, or butter. Etc.

Really just a case of the school isn't accommodating to dairy free students, and the options they do have get too repetitive when that is all they have access to. They don't have a kitchen, but do have a refrigerator/freezer (full sized, shared between 8 girls) and microwave access.

I know she does well at home, but when her options are all prepared for her already, it's much harder.

Would the school allow them to bring in their own buns for the burgers and hot dogs as well as dressing? Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

Are you in the US?

Do you know how much she is paying for the pills?  Another option is to buy her a super mega pack of them.  Just doing a super quick search I saw Amazon has a 180 pack for $25.  I doubt Amazon is the cheapest either. 

You are sweet to help her out like that!

We are in the US, and we do plan to buy her a mega pack of pills, too. :) She paid $15 for 40 or 50 pills, but that is split between her and her roommate, and I think we calculated it to last just over a week if they have to use them at lunch and dinner. Two weeks if only dinner.

Would the school allow them to bring in their own buns for the burgers and hot dogs as well as dressing?

I hadn't thought of that option, thank you! Yes, probably so. I know we discussed salad dressings, since she mentioned it, but then she couldn't think of any she would like and I gather there's a little bit of "I really don't want to eat salad..." going on. But the buns would work, good idea. I'll let her know to do that.

• Like 2