Menu

Tell me about Sprouts grocery

wonderchica

Dh, who does now most of our grocery shopping, shops there frequently. We sort of split it between Sprouts and Trader Joe's because each have some items we love.

Generally good produce, good organic selection, wide variety of items like supplements, toothpaste, shampoo/conditioners, lotions, soaps. Meat department has a butcher section. Lots of good seafood. Did I forget anything? :)

ETA: Also nice bulk selection for grains and nuts.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

We have many Sprouts stores here. Some are nicer than others. My kids like those with seating area. We could buy a snack and eat at the seating area. My kids like the pistachio muffins even though the green coloring is really green. I like the coffee samples (usually 1 decaf, 2 caffeinated here) since we tend to stop by on a Saturday morning or weekday evening when I don't mind a small sample cup of coffee. Prices wise, it really varies. My kids Nordic Naturals are cheaper at Whole Foods most of the time even when Sprouts does a vitamin line drive. Fruits on sale are cheaper at Sprouts sometimes than elsewhere.

One of the Sprouts we go to have Trader Joe's, Walmart, Lucky (Albertsons), Target within a 1 block radius. It is very easy for us to compare prices.

ETA:

No idea about meat as we eat very little meat. My main items are cheese and mushrooms.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

LOVE Sprouts! Other than grass-fed beef, I buy most of our meat there. 

And the organic section is really good: well-stocked and well-priced.

The off-the-shelf stuff can vary in competitive pricing. I like Reed's Ginger Brew (Ginger Ale),

which they carry, but it's cheaper at Fry's (Kroger).

Oh, and they carry Pamela's Pancake & Baking mix which is my go-to gluten-free all purpose flour mix.

• Like 3

Oh, and they carry Pamela's Pancake & Baking mix which is my go-to gluten-free all purpose flour mix.

Talk to me.  One of my kids just went GF and I made something from an old box of GF King Arthur and it tasted really weird, maybe just old; but I'm afraid to use the new box I bought.  I've been making waffles with Bisquick GF that seem fine.  Any idea how Pamela's compares to Bisquick?  Can you use Pamela's in, say, banana bread?

I'm pretty sure I've made banana bread, and zucchini bread, with Pamela's. 

I've also made several loaves of regular bread, stacks of pancakes, double chocolate muffins,

and even Belgian waffles!

Pamela's is almond meal based and has no corn in it, which is why it works for me.

yep, pretty sure the reason your recipe tasted weird was because it was old. 

• Like 1

Echoing what others have said--it's a nice little store! Their sale ads overlap on Wednesdays I think? (Might be regional or I might be completely wrong on the day) So you get stuff that's on sale the week before and the week after. The prices for natural-ish products is much better than Whole Foods IME, so I stock up on the toothpaste and body wash we prefer. I wish there were one closer to me!

• Like 2

I do not like it.  In Colorado Springs we had a Sprouts, a Natural Grocers, a local place, and a Whole Foods.  Whole Foods was by far and away the best store for quality and range of organic produce, free range meats, deli stuff, etc.  Here in Grand Junction we just have the Sprouts and the Natural Grocers, and the Natural Grocers is about 5x better.

The only difference is that the Sprouts has some pre-thawed (previously frozen) fish, which is convenient, but nothing I can't get at the normal grocery store.  The deli has literally nothing I can eat and the bread options aren't great.

• Like 2

I think it depends on the store. We have three Sprouts stores nearby. One is very nice. Their fresh organic produce is as good as Whole Foods and the store is not as crowded as Whole Foods. 

But, the other two are just ok. I'm not 100% happy with their organic produce section or pre-packaged salad section. Sometimes, they have very old looking pruduce. Also, we always have to check the expiration date when we buy yogurt and stuff. 

Edited by MasaMama
  • Like 1

Sprouts does have some amazing gourmet cheese for reasonable prices.  I had an aged sharp cheddar that I think was aged 12 years.  Fantastic stuff.  Shockingly enough, it was shortly after discovering that cheese that I started feeling awful all the time and then discovered I had a histamine intolerance.  Aged cheese is very high in histamines.

• Like 1

I go almost every week even though it's on the other side of town and takes me over 1/2 hour each way because of traffic.  I usually buy all my produce there because it's really cheap, multiple items for $.98 per pound, also the Organic is often $1.98 per pound. Chicken Breast or Tenders (boneless skinless) go on sale for $1.77 per pound.  THey have the widest selection of odd GF, Vegan, never heard of it before type stuff which is great since DD is pretty much GF Vegan.  I LOVE the bins, pink salt, turbinado sugar, beans, peas, oats ect.....  On top of it all the staff, at my store at least, is really nice, you feel like they don't actually mind being there. 

*On sale this week grass fed beef $3.99/pound.  They run this special about every 4-6 weeks.

Sprouts Flyer for my local

• Like 1

My mom likes it a lot but she mostly shops from their flyer. She thinks the flyers are great deals and great food.

If she wants something not on the flyer -- she usually gets it at a different store, bc she will go anyway and they also have good produce if she is buying in season. (My mom mostly only buys in season -- she thinks it is a better price and better produce for a lot of things.)

She will decide what she wants to get based on the Sprouts flyer and plan what to eat from the flyer, much more than she will decide she wants something to eat and buy it at Sprouts.

It is a very convenient, in-and-out place when I have been with her. Not a hassle at all.

• Like 1

We have 2 Sprouts in my town and I rarely go.

There is always a line at checkout. Like Costco sized line.

I also have Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Natural Grocers in town.

My foodstore is super nice and the produce is not prettier nor cheaper at Sprouts.

Edited by gingersmom

Thanks for the tips! As I said, we are limited here- WalMart, Food Lion, run down local place. Definitely no Whole Foods, so this sounds like a nice option!

In that case, you're going to feel like you've gone to heaven. I've lived in towns with limited grocery options, so I can empathize. Sprouts is probably better for you than a TJs. Their meat and produce (especially produce) sections are bigger and fresher than Trader Joe's. TJs is a fun store but I only go there once a month or sometimes two. I get to sprouts every week.

• Like 2

I do not like it. In Colorado Springs we had a Sprouts, a Natural Grocers, a local place, and a Whole Foods. Whole Foods was by far and away the best store for quality and range of organic produce, free range meats, deli stuff, etc. Here in Grand Junction we just have the Sprouts and the Natural Grocers, and the Natural Grocers is about 5x better.

The only difference is that the Sprouts has some pre-thawed (previously frozen) fish, which is convenient, but nothing I can't get at the normal grocery store. The deli has literally nothing I can eat and the bread options aren't great.

This is how I feel too. I much prefer Whole Foods to Sprouts. The deli and seafood sections at Sprouts are awful.