Menu

Using my Instapot for the first time....

LisaKinVA

I'm hoping I don't blow anything up.  

Making pulled pork, using my crock-pot recipe.  I sauteed the ingredients for the sauce first (saving a pot, because I normally have to do that on the stove, and then move things to the crock pot), added the boneless pork shoulder.  I set it to meat/stew, and added about 20 minutes of extra time.

Now, we wait.

Next up, hardboiled eggs, and soon, I'll try a teriyaki chicken.

• Like 3

Kids say the pulled pork tastes like I made it in the crock pot.  My husband will be the true test, though.  I think we may try it with my sauce (half recipe, plus some of the marinade) and his spice rub next time.  It was easy to pull after 80 minutes on high.  

Probably took me just as long to decipher some of the instructions (and the condensation cup...lol)

Going to keep trying a few things.  Definitely was a time saver.

• Like 1

I made a tenderloin last night, using my own recipe. I was a little nervous about screwing it up, but it turned out well.

(Seasoned a 2# tenderloin with adobo, browned it briefly, added a couple cups of cooked black beans, a can of hominy, and a jar of salsa verde. High pressure 20 minutes.)

I'm hoping I don't blow anything up.  

Making pulled pork, using my crock-pot recipe.  I sauteed the ingredients for the sauce first (saving a pot, because I normally have to do that on the stove, and then move things to the crock pot), added the boneless pork shoulder.  I set it to meat/stew, and added about 20 minutes of extra time.

Now, we wait.

Next up, hardboiled eggs, and soon, I'll try a teriyaki chicken.

LOL!!! This is EXACTLY how I felt! Then when I did the pressure release thingy I really did think I was blowing things up. 

Now I think it's my best friend in the kitchen.

• Like 1

I bought my Instant Pot (notice that it is "Instant Pot," not "Instapot") in July and have used it frequently. Our favorite has been cheesecake. Lots of cheesecake. :-) Haven't used my rice cooker since July; have used my crock pot once, for a pot roast for a pot luck at church, but I'm going to try making it in the Instant Pot and see how that goes. (Instant Pot has a slow-cook mode, but reports on that have been unimpressive.)

I was also nervous to start using my Instant pot. I started with cooking hard boiled eggs. Now, I've made baked potatoes, rice, scrambled eggs, pulled pork, and chili. I'm a procrastinator and this tool is allowing me to get dinner on the table. The only recipe that failed was one I just tried to wing. Now, Google before cooking to figure out cook times.

My replacement unit arrived last night (the first was was damaged BEFORE it was put in the Amazon box - big hole in the box that someone took the time to tape up but apparently is was too much work to see if the unit was damaged), so I jumped in and made steel cut oats for breakfast,  However it took longer than I expected and had to take my son to work, so I walked out the door and left everything unattended.  My house was still standing so thankfully nothing blew up.  And the steel cut oats were really good.

My Instapot is still sitting in the box in my kitchen...where it has sat since receiving it as a Christmas gift. I want to use it, but I just can't get myself to take it out and try it out!

How was your pulled pork?

Pull it out and do the little test where you boil water in it.  It'll give you a good handle on how it works and how to get started with it. ;)

WHAT?  How did I not know about this group?

Joining

I tried to join and I can't see any of the posts? 

I made eggs first, then pulled pork, but it's a good starter for sure.  Pork however made my silicone ring smell.  I did all the tricks and nothing helped.  I ended up buying 2 more rings and I rotate them based on what I am cooking LOL  

Enjoy your meal!

I had that issue with mine too, until I started running it through the dishwasher (top rack) after each use.  I don't notice an odor anymore.  Pulled pork definitely made it stinky though. 

My replacement unit arrived last night (the first was was damaged BEFORE it was put in the Amazon box - big hole in the box that someone took the time to tape up but apparently is was too much work to see if the unit was damaged), so I jumped in and made steel cut oats for breakfast, However it took longer than I expected and had to take my son to work, so I walked out the door and left everything unattended. My house was still standing so thankfully nothing blew up. And the steel cut oats were really good.

Steel cut oats are easy to make the night before using the time mode on the Instant Pot, they will be ready for you when you walk in the kitchen in the morning.

I bought my Instant Pot (notice that it is "Instant Pot," not "Instapot") in July and have used it frequently. Our favorite has been cheesecake. Lots of cheesecake. :-) Haven't used my rice cooker since July; have used my crock pot once, for a pot roast for a pot luck at church, but I'm going to try making it in the Instant Pot and see how that goes. (Instant Pot has a slow-cook mode, but reports on that have been unimpressive.)

I use mine as a slow cooker a good bit. I've never noticed a difference between it and any other crock pot I've ever owned. In fact, I prefer it because if I need to brown something before slow cooking, I just use the sauté feature to do it then add the rest of my ingredients. I got rid of my rice cooker and crock pot since buying my Instant Pot. The only thing is, I could probably use a second Instant Pot for days where I'd like to have something in the slow cooker a long time and also something pressure cooking.