Menu

The Islamic Center in Bellevue Washington was Destroyed by Arson Last Night

umsami

http://q13fox.com/2017/01/14/man-arrested-after-overnight-fire-at-bellevue-mosque/

Apparently the guy confessed.  I'm glad they caught him.  When our mosque had a pipe bomb set off at it (while people were there, but nobody was hurt), it took over a year for them to catch the guy.  (ETA: When this happened, the pentecostal church across the church and the Jewish Community Alliance both added $10k to the reward for catching the guy.  We saw a wonderful outpouring of help in our conservative Southern town.) 

If you're in the area, I'm sure that any sort of Interfaith gestures would be welcome to the community.  Also, if there is perhaps a local church or synagogue that can offer space for them to pray in, I know that would be appreciated.  Who knows, that may have already happened.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 7

I hate arson, it's terrible. Hopefully this was just an isolated incident and the community will rally and help out while the mosque is being rebuilt. It's great they caught him quickly though! Jerk.

I hate arson, it's terrible. Hopefully this was just an isolated incident and the community will rally and help out while the mosque is being rebuilt. It's great they caught him quickly though! Jerk.

It's not an isolated incident. The center has been targeted more than once over the last 6 months with vandalism, graffiti and hate messages. IIRC they had to replace a sign at some point. I live a few suburbs away from Bellevue.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

It's not an isolated incident. The center has been targeted more than once over the last 6 months with vandalism, graffiti and hate messages. IIRC they had to replace a sign at some point. I live a few suburbs away from Bellevue.

Correct, and by different people with no apparent connection to the arsonist for at least two of the other things.

Incidentally, there are at least four boardies who have attended this mosque with their children. They don't all post regularly afaik, but still.

These are your people, people.

Another mosque in the area (Redmond) has had its sign defaced twice recently. All things being equal, everyone OBVIOUSLY prefers the sign thing....but....

That's awful. How frightening for the families who worship at that mosque and others across the country. I hope they'll be able to rebuild quickly, but I'm afraid it will be hard for them to feel secure. I hope their community shows they are welcome and valued.

The community has been very supportive (and thankfully we have very good relationships with all sorts of other religious groups).  It turns out it was not a "hate crime", but an act of arson by a mentally ill individual who has had ups and downs with our mosque over the years.  Regardless, the general feeling here is one of positive outlook, strength, and security.  Always looking for the silver lining and putting our trust with God.  

• Like 9

The community has been very supportive (and thankfully we have very good relationships with all sorts of other religious groups).  It turns out it was not a "hate crime", but an act of arson by a mentally ill individual who has had ups and downs with our mosque over the years.  Regardless, the general feeling here is one of positive outlook, strength, and security.  Always looking for the silver lining and putting our trust with God.  

I hope the guy is locked up for a long time, but it's just awful that it had to happen this way.  The newspaper reported that he had been living under overpasses for YEARS because his behavior is too extreme for shelters!   http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/arrest-warrant-had-been-out-for-suspect-in-mosque-fire/

It makes me so angry that the community is supposed to tolerate people living on the streets with such serious mental issues and/or criminal behaviors.     It's getting so bad around here;  this past summer I had to call the police twice to have bums  removed from my neighbors' property while they were away.   They're definitely getting more brazen.  The panhandlers that hang around outside the grocery store where I shop hold signs with their wish lists of items they want...including a specific BRAND of jacket!  And this year I even saw a colorful painted sign like the real estate agents use for open houses with the message: "Season's Greetings from your local panhandlers who ask politely for $ instead of stealing from you."   But there is definitely more theft going on...mail theft, home break-ins, etc. as well as the hazardous waste of syringes that they leave in parks and other places.  

I'm so thankful that no one at your mosque was hurt.  I hope you can rebuild quickly.  

Edited by Laurie

I hope the guy is locked up for a long time, but it's just awful that it had to happen this way.  The newspaper reported that he had been living under overpasses for YEARS because his behavior is too extreme for shelters!   http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/arrest-warrant-had-been-out-for-suspect-in-mosque-fire/

It makes me so angry that the community is supposed to tolerate people living on the streets with such serious mental issues and/or criminal behaviors.     It's getting so bad around here;  this past summer I had to call the police twice to have bums  removed from my neighbors' property while they were away.   They're definitely getting more brazen.  The panhandlers that hang around outside the grocery store where I shop hold signs with their wish lists of items they want...including a specific BRAND of jacket!  And this year I even saw a colorful painted sign like the real estate agents use for open houses with the message: "Season's Greetings from your local panhandlers who ask politely for $ instead of stealing from you."   But there is definitely more theft going on...mail theft, home break-ins, etc. as well as the hazardous waste of syringes that they leave in parks and other places.  

I'm so thankful that no one at your mosque was hurt.  I hope you can rebuild quickly.  

and .... we circle back to what do we do with these mentally ill who pose a danger to society? 'cause the fact the shelters didn't want him should have been a clue!  (we just had another thread on this subject.)