Menu

UPDATE--Day hikers-- long hike questions

Rachel

I'm about to go on my first really long day hike in a couple weeks. I'm confident with what to pack for an afternoon hike for up to 6ish miles, I do that just about every week. I've done many runs of 10+ miles and finished 3 half marathons. However, I have no idea how to plan for hiking 14-15 miles in a day, especially in winter.

Help!

What kinds of food should I take? I'll have lunch on the trail and snacks. Supper will most likely be in my car, possibly at the campground depending on when the shuttle can return me to my car.

How should I treat my water? There will be a support vehicle at least once along the trail with water, but I'm not sure where.

What extra precautions do I need to consider for winter weather?

What type of shoes do you wear for creek crossings?

Right now I carry a regular backpack, it works fine for day hikes, usually carrying items for myself and my children. It does not have a waist strap. Will I regret not upgrading?

Our winter weather can be severe, but is typically mild. We will be hiking in a national forest with about 400' total elevation change. The hike is organized but not guided so it will be cancelled if daytime temps are below 10 degrees. The trails are not heavily travelled but are maintained. I'm wondering if I should bring a sleeping bag or a space blanket just in case? There will be a sweeper to make sure the trail is clear.

The shuttle will likely depart around 8:00 am, should I drive from home (about 2 hours), car camp, or find a motel room in the trail town then have a shorter drive to the trail head. I do own a tent but I don't have a winter sleeping bag. Having never hiked that far I'm not sure I want to sleep on the ground beforehand. Driving doesn't bother me, but it's not my favorite.

This is part of a hiking challenge, I'm only participating the first day as I don't have backpacking gear and don't think I'm in good enough shape to handle back to back long hikes. Any tips?

UPDATE

Due to group camping the hike ended up being 11 miles (the rest of the group hiked 15 miles the next day). I am so glad I went!

My husband surprised me with a new daypack which was so much more comfortable than my old backpack. The weather was just about perfect, low 60's partly sunny. I took a sandwich, blackberries, and a couple apples. I had a couple Lara bars and nuts just in case but never needed them.

There were a lot of creek crossings, but my boots were sufficient. Only one crossing had deeper water, but someone had put big rocks in the water that worked for stepping across. The first 1/4-1/2 mile was up about 900 feet then most of the hike was along the ridge line. The last couple miles were along a creek, it was beautiful!

Thanks for the tip about the seat pad. I had a kneeling pad I use for gardening that fit perfectly in my pack. It was great while waiting on my shuttle ride.

I bought a used backpacking tent and found a friend with a stove and sleeping bag I can borrow so I can backpack next month when the group goes out again. I haven't decided if I will yet, but it was so much fun I'm leaning toward trying it out.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 6

I'm assuming you don't want to bring in a ton of gear for cooking in which case you are limited to dry foods. Personally, I like tuna packs for lunch- I'd add in some crackers or bread to make a sandwich. For only a day trip I'd eat a hearty breakfast before going and pack trail mix, dehydrated fruit, nuts/seeds, protein bars or such(if you like them) and jerky for snacks. I'd also throw in a piece of fresh fruit too as I wouldn't be too concerned about weight since you won't have to carry a bunch of gear for backpacking. I'd just plan on a nice supper for when you get back, a hearty soup in a thermos would me awesome IMO. I wouldn't think you would need water treatment options for just a day trip. Is there a source to collect water? I'd just carry in water for that amount of time, I'd especially not worry about that with water stations along the way. The easy ways to treat are some kind of straw filter or iodine(which tastes nasty- although neutralizing tabs can help), you can also boil the water but that of course requires heat. If you already had a filter it wouldn't hurt to bring it but I wouldn't buy one just for this kind of thing.

I'd probably just sleep in a motel the night before if you don't have a good sleeping bag and aren't really confident of hiking that long I'd not push yourself with camping the night before. I like camping and sleeping on the ground but I still don't sleep as well the night before. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

For day hikes of that length, we only wear a day pack. Try how comfortable your pack is with the weight you expect to carry; water is the biggie. More comfortable packs are.. well, more comfortable ;)

For one day, we carry all water. I don't know what you mean by "treating": will you be hiking in deep freeze and are concerned about freezing? What about a thermos? You can take a small personal filter (they are only 3 oz) if you're not sure you can carry enough water and expect water sources on the trail.

We always take lunch and snacks. For lunch, a hunk of bread and a piece of cheese or salami (don't forget the knife). Hard boiled eggs. Some baked goods (if I have time to bake, I take muffins, pumpkin bread, brownies or cereal bars.) Chocolate, nuts. Protein bars as emergency ration (after backpacking, we're all sick of them, so they are taken for emergencies). Apples, carrots, grapes - we like some fruits/veggies. Having a "nice" lunch make sit so much more enjoyable than just having cliff bars because we have to watch the weight (the pack's, not ours)

Creek crossings: if I know I have to wade often, I take sandals. Old sneakers are supposed to work well, too. Mostly, I try to avoid  wading and search out spots where I can cross by rock hopping in my regular hiking boots, especially in winter. 

If there are other people on the trail in an organized hike, I would not bother with blanket/sleeping bag for a day hike.. Those I would take if I went solo hiking or climbing mountains. I assume that if you have an accident that renders you immobile, somebody will find you. An emergency whistle is a good idea.

Take: hat, gloves. Dress in layers. Have a water and wind proof outer layer - I like to wear a rain jacket with a fleece jacket underneath instead of a heavy coat for longer winter hikes.

Headlamp, since it gets dark early.

Map and, if you have, GPS. Even if it's an organized hike.

Since it is winter, I'd carry matches/lighter. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

That's a lot of questions!

Food - we take portable snacks: Lara bars, dried fruit, nuts, cheese sticks, oranges, peanut butter packets.  If it is condensed nutrition, it's a viable option.

Water - each of us has a camelbak that holds 3 liters.  This is enough to get us through about 10 miles, though we like having the option to refill on the trail.  The camelbak makes it easy to sip constantly.

Winter - dress in light layers up to where you are comfortable.  It allows you to remove or add at will and not have to carry something bulky

Shoes- we haven't done creek crossings in the past several years, but I'd assume a hiking boot with a waterproof outer.  You can also bump up the waterproofing with a camp spray, at least to seal the seams and pores on a regular boot a bit to help keep the water out.

I think you might regret not having a waist strap/chest strap.  The distribution of weight is very important, and while it's not my shoulders that are killing me after a long hike, I would imagine they would be much more sore (along with neck and back) if I did not have a proper pack on.

I pack a space blanket because they are cheap, lightweight, and don't take up much room.  I also pack a sterno can, independent stove (less than $10 at Walmart, and good even in no-burn zones), and small mess kit if I'm going to want something hot (I imagine I would in the winter)

My advice would be to find a motel room if you aren't used to long hikes.  I love a nice bed when I'm done!  That said, I've done several week long hikes and slept out in a tent/on the ground.  The body gets used to the uneven-ness of the ground and the first day back to civilization can feel very weird.

• Like 2

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to carry plenty of water, I just wasn't sure if I needed to be prepared for treating it just in case. There are tons of little streams, I don't know exactly how many creek crossings but enough I'll need to plan for it. If it has rained in the previous 2-3 days it could be knee deep in places.

• Like 1

My only really extreme outdoor experience to this point is a 10 day Boundary Waters canoe trip. Our longest portage was around a mile so we weren't overly concerned with weight. That's been 20 years and my dad was in charge so I didn't pay a lot of attention to gear, it's changed a lot since then anyway. I do remember getting really tired of Lipton rice and boxed macaroni.

In recent years all my hiking has been with young kids, it's a lot different experience when you are only in the woods for an afternoon.

I can't answer all your questions, but....

I think a pack with a waist strap makes a hike infinitely more comfortable. For a winter hike, I like a regular backpack, because it will hold the shell and fleece jacket of my parka. Even when the day starts off freezing, hiking can keep you warm enough that you need to shed multiple layers.

Water, two, one liter bottles should be adequate, as you have the station along the way. For a luxury, a platypus or similar water pouch is great -- so easy to take frequent sips, rather than reaching for a bottle again and again.

I am a fan of hiking poles. They help you use your whole body, so legs and feet are less tired. Big help with creek crossings too.

If you wanted a hot drink or food, you try an inexpensive Esbit stove. It takes a while to heat up in cold weather, but is easy yo use.

Look up the 'ten essentials' and take those. Also include toilet paper and hand sanitizer. And extra socks.

Some kind of folding mat to sit on is great, especially if ground is wet.

Food. We liked the tuna and salmon that comes in bags. Trader Joes has great high protein/fat snacks, like beef jerky, coconut strips, etc. I also like to have something salty, like cashews. Cliff bars for nibbles. I don't cook lunch on a day hike, but I do like a cup of hot tea if it is cold. One thing that I would avoid is a cup of noodles thing. If you don't finish it, you will have to carry the stuff for the rest of your hike.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

I can't answer all your questions, but....

I think a pack with a waist strap makes a hike infinitely more comfortable. For a winter hike, I like a regular backpack, because it will hold the shell and fleece jacket of my parka. Even when the day starts off freezing, hiking can keep you warm enough that you need to shed multiple layers.

Water, two, one liter bottles should be adequate, as you have the station along the way. For a luxury, a platypus or similar water pouch is great -- so easy to take frequent sips, rather than reaching for a bottle again and again.

I am a fan of hiking poles. They help you use your whole body, so legs and feet are less tired. Big help with creek crossings too.

If you wanted a hot drink or food, you try an inexpensive Esbit stove. It takes a while to heat up in cold weather, but is easy yo use.

Look up the 'ten essentials' and take those. Also include toilet paper and hand sanitizer. And extra socks.

Some kind of folding mat to sit on is great, especially if ground is wet.

Oh, yes, TP :) My son is always popular with the other Scouters b/c he remembers TP, hand sanitizer too of course :)

We have a pack with a waist strap too, that is a must with any weight IMO.

We've got a Camelbak but I'm not a fan of it so I just carry water bottles. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

2 quick thoughts

- be careful using a camelpac in super cold weather, water can freeze in the long straw. This happened to my dh recently while elk hunting, he found that he had to keep the camel pack under his coat, not in his backpack.

- and consider wiggy waders for stream crossing - they slip over your shoes and pants. http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/lightweight-waders/

Sounds like a fun adventure!!

Eta: one more thought - we prefer packing an actual lunch, rather than just bringing snacks. There's something about a sandwich and an apple that says "I ate lunch" in a way that just doesn't happen with protein bars. But bring bars (or whatever) for snacking.

Edited by wendy not in HI
  • Like 4

I'm about to go on my first really long day hike in a couple weeks. I'm confident with what to pack for an afternoon hike for up to 6ish miles, I do that just about every week. I've done many runs of 10+ miles and finished 3 half marathons. However, I have no idea how to plan for hiking 14-15 miles in a day, especially in winter.

Help!

What extra precautions do I need to consider for winter weather?

I'm going to be the Debbie Downer, and inappropriately so, since I'm not a "serious" hiker. I would not jump from 6 miles in average conditions to 15 miles in serious winter conditions.  

A few weeks back, I took on what I expected to be a moderate challenge, just a couple of miles longer than I'm used to, and not much colder than I've experienced (but much more windy) and wound up getting very concerned that I had taken on more than I could handle.  Fortunately, I was able to slow down and still beat sundown, which I hadn't prepared to face, because I had overestimated my ability.  The combo of length, weather, and altitude was exponentially more difficult than any of those things had been before, individually.

• Like 2

I'm going to be the Debbie Downer, and inappropriately so, since I'm not a "serious" hiker. I would not jump from 6 miles in average conditions to 15 miles in serious winter conditions.  

A few weeks back, I took on what I expected to be a moderate challenge, just a couple of miles longer than I'm used to, and not much colder than I've experienced (but much more windy) and wound up getting very concerned that I had taken on more than I could handle.  Fortunately, I was able to slow down and still beat sundown, which I hadn't prepared to face, because I had overestimated my ability.  The combo of length, weather, and altitude was exponentially more difficult than any of those things had been before, individually.

Normally I would agree, but seeing that the OP is a runner and fit enough for half marathons, I would judge that she has the physical condition and the persistence to manage a 15 mile dayhike in terrain that does not have significant elevation differences (OP mentioned it is only 400 ft - so basically flat)

ETA: As soon as you throw altitude in the mix, all bets are off! I am very fit and experience, but altitude sickness gets me bad every.single.time.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

How long does it take to hike that far in cold weather? Around here it gets dark at 4:30.  

I agree with the previous poster about taking a real lunch. A nice wrap with lots of meat and such feels much more like lunch than endless snacking. 

The water crossings would make that miserable for me. I can hike all day but if I'm wet, I'm miserable. Hope you can find a way to keep your feet dry. Is the trail snow covered? That spray on water repellent is awesome but not if the water is knee deep. 

Have a great adventure!!!!

• Like 1

I agree that I'd treat this as an extended day hike.  I'd make sure that you layer your clothing, and have at least one full-change of clothes. Ensure you remove a layer as soon as you start warming up. Over-heating when exercising in the cold is a REALLY common error - even by experienced runners. You don't want to end up with wet clothing in cold temps from sweating. 

Also, you'll need more calories of food for this hike than a warm weather hike, as your body will need more fuel to keep warm.

• Like 1

in case of emergency I'd want a space blanket, rain poncho or other source of plastic (trash bag would work), lighter or water proof matches, what you need for that day to eat plus a bit extra, and a first aid kit that has Benadryl, Ibuprofen, some coflex bandage material, instant hand warmers. If you say, sprain an ankle and can't hike out, you may get quite cold while waiting for help (since you are sitting still rather than hiking) and the blanket, a fire, hand warmers, etc would be important to avoid hypothermia. 

• Like 2

How long does it take to hike that far in cold weather? Around here it gets dark at 4:30.  

Without significant elevation gain and hiking on a trail as opposed to bushwhacking, an adult can comfortably hike 2 miles in an hour on average. That already includes short breaks. In cold weather, one would not linger extensively anyway. So, if I were going on this hike, I would plan for it to take around 8 hours and expect to be done a bit earlier.

ETA: I would expect that the organizers of the hike plan the shuttle and start time so that an average hiker can finish safely before dark.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Normally I would agree, but seeing that the OP is a runner and fit enough for half marathons, I would judge that she has the physical condition and the persistence to manage a 15 mile dayhike in terrain that does not have significant elevation differences (OP mentioned it is only 400 ft - so basically flat)

ETA: As soon as you throw altitude in the mix, all bets are off! I am very fit and experience, but altitude sickness gets me bad every.single.time.

Correction: the OP did not say it was only 400 ft. She stated it only had a 400ft change in elevation. 

Correction: the OP did not say it was only 400 ft. She stated it only had a 400ft change in elevation. 

Yes, I understand, 400ft of change in elevation, - which is exactly why I wrote "in terrain that does not have significant elevation differences ", i.e. pretty much flat".

ETA: Oh, are you thinking "net elevation gain" vs "cumulative elevation gain"? that's a valid point.

OP: is it net or cumulative?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

The organizers have been hosting this event for a few years. It really is a good introduction for a beginner. I wasn't sure if I was ready until attending the orientation meeting was last night. I think based on talking to some other people who hiked it in the last two years I'll be ok. Total trail length is over 300 miles. Most of the group will hike it in one weekend a month over the course of a year.

Last night it wasn't dark until 5:30, I will have my headlamp just in case though. They plan the start time to average 2 miles an hour and have everyone back to camp before dark. One lady who had no experience hiking did have to get picked up a couple times last year, they also started at the southern end of the trail which is a lot more difficult. I have hiked parts of this trail averaging just under 3 miles an hour with a 4 year old. There won't be any bushwhacking, although there could potentially be snow, but I imagine that I won't be at the front of the group so the snow should be packed down. We don't get a ton of snow around here anyway and it usually melts in a couple days. The trail is hilly despite not a ton of elevation difference, but it's definitely not the Rockies. I have good winter and rain gear (my parents drilled that into me as a kid), and I do hike year round, it's just a lot different going from an afternoon to all day hike.

• Like 4

(btw, such a small elevation difference makes it extremely unlikely that the hike happens at high altitude because there usually is no way to hike 14 miles in the mountains with this little elevation gain.)

Eh, you may be right about "usually".  Though, for my region, "The Mountains" generally stick to a few hundred feet above or below 2,000'.  Our hike in Virginia's mountains started much higher, but the terrain didn't feel much different.  (I never checked the actual difference.)

I can't pretend to know a stranger's abilities, but I can point out things that would give me pause by projecting my own overconfident experiences like a champ!  ;)

• Like 2

ETA: Oh, are you thinking "net elevation gain" vs "cumulative elevation gain"? that's a valid point.

OP: is it net or cumulative?

I think net. The highest point is 400 feet higher than the lowest. The exact starting and finish points aren't available yet. It's along the western edge of the Appalachians, definitely not high altitude.

ETA: I was remembering the wrong section, the last section has about a 500' change. The first section practically flat.

Edited by Rach

2 quick thoughts

- and consider wiggy waders for stream crossing - they slip over your shoes and pants. http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/lightweight-waders/

Eta: one more thought - we prefer packing an actual lunch, rather than just bringing snacks. There's something about a sandwich and an apple that says "I ate lunch" in a way that just doesn't happen with protein bars. But bring bars (or whatever) for snacking.

The wiggy waders look awesome! I've always planned my hiking to avoid watercrossing in the cold. I spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos about creek crossing last night.
  • Like 2

I once hiked Mount Katahdin in Northern Maine Labor Day Weekend.

What surprised me:  

--I needed more food along the hike than I expected.  I'm really glad I threw in some extra chocolate for the road at the last minute.  I was consuming calories much faster than I anticipated.

--I was actually pretty cold.  We had snow flurries, but still, it was September so there was no snow on the ground.  Usually when I'm hiking uphill I'm really warmed by exertion, but the wind was blowing pretty hard across the face of the mountain and the snow was beating our faces and there was no sun, and even hiking uphill I needed my puffy jacket on.  I was glad I had stuffed it into my daypack.

--Unexpected delays happen.  I came upon a mother and baby moose, and had to stop until she decided to move on.  Others turned back because they came upon a bear.  So you're wise to be bringing that light and some emergency sleeping/warmth gear.  Do you also have a beacon or cell phone service within the group?  

--On the way back down the mountain I started using my arms more on the big rocks beside the trail to take weight off my tired legs.  I wish I had had hiking poles, but they were uncommon then.  The newest ones fold in thirds so they are easy to stash in your daypack when you're not using them.  STRONGLY recommended.

--We had snow but we could have had rain.  Bring a long poncho--they are very lightweight now.  Personally I would not bother with rain pants, but I would have a heat reflective waterproof 'blanket' to sit on--those fold very small and are lightweight.  

--I would also bring extra socks (duh) AND plastic bags to put around your socks if your boots get wet--those keep your feet from getting wet also, even if your boots get waterlogged.  It's an emergency move to use them, since they are slippery and make you sweat, but if it's the difference between your feet freezing and not, you'll be glad you have them.

--I'd carry water and have a Lifestraw along for the natural water supplies.

--I usually wear trail running shoes to hike, but for winter hiking like that I'd wear my (admittedly heavier) waterproof hiking boots.

--I'd bring a flint set and/or waterproof matches or a lighter depending on how windy it's likely to be.  And as others have said, a few first aid items.  I'd think:  What if I'm out here overnight or maybe sprain something?

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 4

I once hiked Mount Katahdin in Northern Maine Labor Day Weekend.

What surprised me:

--I needed more food along the hike than I expected. I'm really glad I threw in some extra chocolate for the road at the last minute. I was consuming calories much faster than I anticipated.

--I was actually pretty cold. We had snow flurries, but still, it was September so there was no snow on the ground. Usually when I'm hiking uphill I'm really warmed by exertion, but the wind was blowing pretty hard across the face of the mountain and the snow was beating our faces and there was no sun, and even hiking uphill I needed my puffy jacket on. I was glad I had stuffed it into my daypack.

--Unexpected delays happen. I came upon a mother and baby moose, and had to stop until she decided to move on. Others turned back because they came upon a bear. So you're wise to be bringing that light and some emergency sleeping/warmth gear. Do you also have a beacon or cell phone service within the group?

--On the way back down the mountain I started using my arms more on the big rocks beside the trail to take weight off my tired legs. I wish I had had hiking poles, but they were uncommon then. The newest ones fold in thirds so they are easy to stash in your daypack when you're not using them. STRONGLY recommended.

--We had snow but we could have had rain. Bring a long poncho--they are very lightweight now. Personally I would not bother with rain pants, but I would have a heat reflective waterproof 'blanket' to sit on--those fold very small and are lightweight.

--I would also bring extra socks (duh) AND plastic bags to put around your socks if your boots get wet--those keep your feet from getting wet also, even if your boots get waterlogged. It's an emergency move to use them, since they are slippery and make you sweat, but if it's the difference between your feet freezing and not, you'll be glad you have them.

--I'd carry water and have a Lifestraw along for the natural water supplies.

--I usually wear trail running shoes to hike, but for winter hiking like that I'd wear my (admittedly heavier) waterproof hiking boots.

--I'd bring a flint set and/or waterproof matches or a lighter depending on how windy it's likely to be. And as others have said, a few first aid items. I'd think: What if I'm out here overnight or maybe sprain something?

Mount Katadhin, impressive!

• Like 3

2 quick thoughts

- be careful using a camelpac in super cold weather, water can freeze in the long straw. This happened to my dh recently while elk hunting, he found that he had to keep the camel pack under his coat, not in his backpack.

Good point about the freezing. I have not used my new-ish bag in freezing weather yet.

One trick for water bottles. Keep them upside down. Then when you turn them right side up, ice is on the bottom. I do this at night in a tent, not sure if it's necessary when you are on the move and water is sloshing about.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Due to group camping the hike ended up being 11 miles (the rest of the group hiked 15 miles the next day). I am so glad I went!

My husband surprised me with a new daypack which was so much more comfortable than my old backpack. The weather was just about perfect, low 60's partly sunny. I took a sandwich, blackberries, and a couple apples. I had a couple Lara bars and nuts just in case but never needed them.

There were a lot of creek crossings, but my boots were sufficient. Only one crossing had deeper water, but someone had put big rocks in the water that worked for stepping across. The first 1/4-1/2 mile was up about 900 feet then most of the hike was along the ridge line. The last couple miles were along a creek, it was beautiful!

Thanks for the tip about the seat pad. I had a kneeling pad I use for gardening that fit perfectly in my pack. It was great while waiting on my shuttle ride.

I bought a used backpacking tent and found a friend with a stove and sleeping bag I can borrow so I can backpack next month when the group goes out again. I haven't decided if I will yet, but it was so much fun I'm leaning toward trying it out.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 5