Menu

Small (cheaper) gifts for a 17 year old boy? Help!

ktgrok

So, we have a budget for each kid. This year, DS 17 wanted a new chair for his desk in his room....a very expensive gaming style chair. He spends a LOT of time in it, between gaming, schoolwork, and his part time job running a server for someone. But it was almost all his budget for Christmas. I warned him of that, and he said he understood. I did also buy him a new memory foam pillow that I think he wanted and will like. But that's ALL he has under the tree. 

The littles have more like 9 presents each, because they were so much less expensive. And I STILL was under budget for each of them. So I'd like to use some of their budget to get the teen a few more things (which DH is on board with). Oh ,and DH has a bunch of gifts as well...at least 6. I probably have the fewest, at 4. So anyway, JAWM about putting a few more things under there for him. 

But, I don't want to spend a ton more. I can spend some, but certainly not the $90 that his only other item he asked for is!!! (some LED lighting system thing...I don't even understand it). He also would like cash to save towards a car, so I could just wrap up some cash in a few boxes/bags and give him that. But it seems lame, lol. 

Any ideas for a few small things a computer type kid might like? (my parents will also get him gifts, and his father (my ex) and their family, so I'm worrying over nothing, but still. This is the FIRST year we are opening gifts in the morning just our immediate family, before going to my moms. All previous years we have opened all our gifts at her house, so I don't want it to feel lame or a let down. Plus, he KNOWS he is getting the chair, so it's not even a surprise. 

Maybe a few books? He hasn't read much lately, but likes dystopian fiction. 

Edited by ktgrok

What about some desk gadgets? I don't know if it's too late to order from Think Geek though. You might find something at an office store. Or how about a handheld puzzle like a Rubik's Cube or something similar? Does he use ear phones or ear buds? My ds only uses ear phones and the last pair I got him a couple of years ago were about $30 and have held up well.

This might sound lame, but what about a selection of magazines in his areas of interest?  Not subscriptions, just single issues.  If there is something he really likes, he could subscribe or you could give him a subscription for his birthday or something.     

I find books get tricky when kids are older.  I've been lucky that one of my son's favorite authors usually has a new book out every year, and though my son loves the books, he doesn't follow the author in any way, so it's always a surprise.  Still, a paperback or two doesn't have to be expensive and you can take a risk on something you think  he'll like.  The unspoken rule in our house is, if someone gives you a book, you don't have to read it or even pretend to like it if it's not your thing.  Books just get absorbed into the home anyway.   

• Like 1

I vote cash. My mom always gave my cousins cash. She wrap it up in various crazy ways.

I'm going to say this, and it can be ignored completely- Also- I'm not saying that you should do anything that hurt your budget.

So- if you're going to spend half of what his one other gift would cost, I would consider just getting it. It would be a surprise to him, and in my past, I have regretted buying several little things that they didn't want instead of something a bit more expensive hat they did. (This doesn't go against your jawm because I am all about making it look like more under the tree! I'm totally with you! I just mean that since his one other thing is still under $100. I (queen of can't stop shopping) would end up spending $75 on stuff.) You are probably more disciplined!

Edited by Jan in SC
  • Like 5

I'd be buying some token food gifts like theater candy boxes ($1 at Walmart), a 6 pack of a favorite soda, and maybe an office supply thing like some post its and pens.  I know it's really so he'll have something to unwrap but I'd add a $5 bill to each one.  

Mine also like small packages of nuts- single serve sizes of pistachios or peanuts are big hit here.  Stuff he can keep by his computer!

• Like 1

ooh, earbuds are a good idea, he uses them when doing yard work and is constantly losing them. 

And snacks are good...but usually go in the stocking. One year I stacked up 7 CASES of ramen into a tower shape, from Santa, lol. 

A few t-shirts might be good, DH would be better at picking those out. 

I got him a knife last year, but maybe something like that. 

ooh, earbuds are a good idea, he uses them when doing yard work and is constantly losing them. 

And snacks are good...but usually go in the stocking. One year I stacked up 7 CASES of ramen into a tower shape, from Santa, lol. 

A few t-shirts might be good, DH would be better at picking those out. 

I got him a knife last year, but maybe something like that. 

I bought dd18 a leatherman/swiss army knife multitool and pocket knife combo this year.  I bought it at costco for about $30, it is SnapOn brand.   (Ds22 got one about the same age)

New backpack?

Music CD or card to ap store

DVD- (DS 22 always gets a few Anime DVDs)

Poster for his wall (you can order posters of most movies on line)

Game or expansion he likes

Movie tickes

When I gave cash, I tucked into many different shaped boxes so ds had to do a lot of unwrapping to find it. Paper towel tubes, TP tubes, small boxes, big boxes full of paper.   I tried to layer as much as possible.  A big box had a $5 and a smaller box in it. The smaller box had a $5 and a smaller box it in.....

My teenagers always want cash, and I hate to give cash unless I can think of a funny way to hand it over!  My most successful effort was the year that I bought 250 super balls from Amazon and a package of those little plastic gumball machine capsules.  I painted the capsules (maybe a dozen?) in super ball colors, and put assorted bills inside.  Then I put all of it inside a big square plastic bottle.  You could only dump the balls/capsules out one at a time.... which took a while.... and then you had to sort through all the balls to find the capsules.... which also took a while.  Anyway, my teenager thought it was pretty fun, plus he was left with 250 super balls which is pretty awesome!   :lol:

These are the balls I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Rhode-Island-Novelty-Discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B000N2VR48/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1482081524&sr=8-3&keywords=super+balls

Anyway.... maybe this sounds nuts.  I'm a bit of a nutty gift giver.   :001_smile:

• Like 2

So...I found a less expensive, well reviewed, comparable to what he wanted LED set. For half the price. If he wants to return it, and pay the difference for what he wants, fine. But I think this will do what he wants. And found a few small things as well. thank you all for the suggestions!

• Like 3