Menu

What to read after Harry Potter series? For my 10yo son.

The only thing I can think of that is a LOT like Harry Potter (and it's very enjoyable!):

- The Secret of Platform 13 (Ibbotson)

Not wizards and magic, but, our DSs who enjoyed Harry Potter also really liked:

- Percy Jackson and the Olympian series (Riordan) --modern kids/Ancient Greek mythology

- Artemis Fowl series (Colfer) -- modern "evil genius" boy meets modern tech-oriented fairy world characters

- Ranger's Apprentice series (Flanagan) -- medieval, with teen boy with "ninja-like" archery and forestry skills

- Dragon series: Dragon of the Lost Sea; Dragon War; Dragon Cauldron (Yep)

- Tiger Apprentice series: Tiger Apprentice; Tiger's Blood; Tiger Magic (Yep)

- Warriors (Hunter) -- original series: Into the Wild; Fire and Ice; Forest of Secrets; Rising Storm; Dangerous Path; Darkest Hour -- clans of wild/warrior talking cat clans

Books our DSs loved at age 10-11:

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken)

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (O'Brien)

- Sign of the Beaver (Speare)

- My Side of the Mountain (George)

- Samurai mystery series (Hoobler)

- mini-mystery collections by Donald Sobol, Hy Conrad, and Jim Sukach

- Half Magic, Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle, The Time Garden, Seven Day Magic (Eager)

More ideas:

- So You Want to Be a Wizard series (Duane)

- The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (Wrede)

- Dragon Spell; Dragon Quest; Dragon Knight (Paul)

- Sea of Trolls series (Farmer)

- Redwall series (Jacques)

- Kane Chronicles (Riordan) -- modern kids/Ancient Egyptian mythology series

- Magnus Chase series (Riordan) -- modern kids/Norse mythology

- Mysterious Benedict Society series (Trent) -- modern kids, special mission

- Peter and the Starcatchers series (Barry)

- Gregor the Underland Chronicles (Collins)

- Leviathan trilogy (Westerfeld) -- alternate WW1, with lots of steam punk elements

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

We want to get the highest possible chance of success so - what does he love about Harry Potter? Is it the friendships? The angst in the end? The quirkiness of the earlier books? The magic + great destiny bit?

You know, I can't pin that down. As a family, we all adore Harry Potter -- everything about it! The friendships, the magic, the whole shebang! :)

My oldest loves Harry Potter. She is also into all thing Rick Riordan, Redwall, Neil Gaiman's kid books, and Mythology. She loves the D'aulaires and the National Geographic illustrated myths. Oh and she liked Ember but never got to the sequels.

Edited by reign

All these are good suggestions, but honestly... I feel like you never know what will hit after Harry Potter. To me, I feel like worldbuilding, not too difficult writing, and a good build to a solid climax are kind of the best things about HP as a series. But nothing else quite recreates it, IMHO. A lot of the things that are the best in that genre have a much more difficult reading level, which is something to keep in mind.

I'll vote to try Gregor next. Just because I think the build to a climax and the worldbuilding are similarly amazing. However, it's a smaller canvass and a much darker world than HP.

• Like 1