Menu

Have we talked about this? banning plastic grocery bags

Aura

California just became the first state to ban plastic grocery bags. It appears to have been a pretty close vote: 52% to 48%. Thoughts? If you live in California, do you like this? If you don't, do you wish your state would adopt such a measure?

Truthfully, I despise plastic bags, and I wish they would be banned in my state, too. I used to be ambivalent to them, until I worked in a grocery store. I came to absolutely hate them. I know some people recycle them. If I end up with some (and I do), I recycle them myself, but they just cause sooo much waste! 

• Like 4

I am very much in favor of this.

In my home country, grocery stores do not hand out free plastic bags. People bring their reusable bags; if you forgot yours, you can purchase a sturdy plastic bag or a reusable tote. (The latter option did not exit when I grew up; there simply were no plastic bags, period. It worked just fine.) There still are the plastic produce bags.

Seeing the large environmental problems plastic bags create, I see banning them as a very desirable option. Really, it's not a hardship or difficulty to use a reusable bag.

• Like 13

I wouldn't mind if they were banned here (PA).   It's weird:  I always remember to take my bags to Aldi.  Because, at Aldi I have to buy bags.  But, I can't remember when I go anywhere else.  It's like if I'm walking out the door knowing I'm going to Aldi, the bags get in the car.  If I'm off to the "regular" grocery store, I don't think of taking the bags.    I know the answer is to keep the darn bags in the car all the time, but... for some reason it doesn't work that way. 

So a ban would force me to do what my brain seems unable to manage.  I shouldn't need a law for that, though, right?  :-)

I generally prefer paper bags myself, if I don't have access to reuseables.    I do recycle plastic bags.  i have noticed that one store's plastic bags are getting thinner and thinner. They only hold a few things.  Not sure if that's better - maybe they are easier to recycle? - but I end up using more of them because they don't hold much.

• Like 6

I don't live in California. I do agree they create so much waste, but I also prefer them for certain foods like raw meat or chicken. If the package leaks, the mess stays contained. I frequently request no bag if I'm only buying a couple things. I try to bring my own bags but so far haven't owned any reusable bags that were durable enough that I felt the cost outweighed the benefit. I believe I have one that is 5 years old but most last about a year. Any plastic bags in my house get reused as trash bags, poop bags for the dog, or recycled.

I like the method used in Ireland where customers are charged for bags. I think that encourages much less waste.

• Like 2

There are some individual cities that have had this law for some time. Portland, Oregon is one of them.  It works out fine.  Either people bring reusable bags or they give you a paper one. At least the paper breaks down in the land fill.  The only thing that is a bit irritating about it, is when they run out of small bags and have to put things in a large bag.  There have been a few times that I was shopping in a shopping center and they had to put a few small items in a large paper bag bid enough for a quilt set. LOL  I don't carry a big purse, just a wallet so I get caught off guard when I end up deciding to buy something unexpectedly (and don't have a bag with me).

I am in favor of the switch and would vote it in state wide if I had the choice. I do recycle plastic bags, so I try to be conscious of where they end up, but it would be easier to just have paper and be done with it. 

I wouldn't mind if they were banned here (PA).   It's weird:  I always remember to take my bags to Aldi.  Because, at Aldi I have to buy bags.  But, I can't remember when I go anywhere else.  It's like if I'm walking out the door knowing I'm going to Aldi, the bags get in the car.  If I'm off to the "regular" grocery store, I don't think of taking the bags.    I know the answer is to keep the darn bags in the car all the time, but... for some reason it doesn't work that way. 

So a ban would force me to do what my brain seems unable to manage.  I shouldn't need a law for that, though, right?  :-)

I generally prefer paper bags myself, if I don't have access to reuseables.    I do recycle plastic bags.  i have noticed that one store's plastic bags are getting thinner and thinner. They only hold a few things.  Not sure if that's better - maybe they are easier to recycle? - but I end up using more of them because they don't hold much.

This is one of those things that really bothered me when I was working in a grocery store. The bags were awful. We would often use more bags then necessary to prevent them from breaking open and spilling customers' items. We'd often have to toss whole boxes or reams of bags into recycling because they were messed up. We'd end up with lose bags that wouldn't come apart, and in the rush of getting customer's things bagged, we'd just stuff them aside. Then, we'd end up with bags stuffed full of other bags that (hopefully) went into recycling.

But I know many cashiers and baggers who didn't take the time to put the faulty bags into recycling. They just threw them away. They would get in trouble if their registers were messy, or if they weren't at their register, and lose bags were always contributory to messy registers. *sigh* 

• Like 2

We just got back from California.  It took me by surprise when we went to the store to be charged 10 cents a bag if I wanted plastic. 

I do think you need them for certain foods.  Meat.   Sometimes those packages leak and that would suck to have that spoil the rest of your food or your car. 

I have never brought my own bags to the store so that would be an adjustment for me.  

Oh and I use the bags for trash bags, so I would have to go back to buying bags for that.  

Edited by mommyoffive

I hate plastic grocery bags. Our local grocery store (Shaws) downgraded the quality of their bags a couple of years ago and they will rip and split at the slightest stress inside the bag. They're pretty much useless by the time you get them home - and that's if you're lucky enough to have them not split at an inopportune time and leave your groceries all over the ground. Aargh. 

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have awesome reusable grocery bags. I bought two there for $5.99 each and have been using them for 2 years. They're insulated and zip up and fit a ton of groceries in them. I can usually fit a week's worth of food in them and they keep the cold stuff cold until I get home, no problem (we live 40 minutes away). I have this one and the red and black one. Amazon's price is over 3 times what I paid for them in store, but I would pay Amazon's price if I didn't have a TJ's near me because they are that good.

• Like 2

I think it's a good idea.  Here they started charging per bag, but it only made a small difference, most people just absorbed the cost.

I do reuse many of mine, though less now that they only accept clear bags for garbage, so I can't use them for my bathroom cans.  But, if they were not available, it would be easy enough to use something else for the same jobs.  I bought some very fine mesh bags that are useful for some of the same things, for example.

I was assuming that the ban on plastic bags was for the large bags at the checkout, but bags for produce and meat were still available in those departments. Is that not correct?

Based on the information I can find, that is correct. It's just the single-use, carry out bags that apply.

• Like 1

I liked the idea until I heard (I think on NPR) that cities that have banned them have seen fatal food poisoning cases double or triple.  Getting salmonella on your raw spinach doesn't seem as likely with plastic, not to mention how many people launder their bags after every use, using HOT water to kill the contaminants?

I shop at places like Aldi that don't provide free bags, but I worry about this sort of thing.

• Like 2

They should have been banned decades ago. Americans like to think their way is the best and they are so progressive, but in reality they are behind in a lot of ways. This small action to protect the environment is long overdue.

I think plenty of Americans poo on progressive ideals.  As an example, homeschooling is not seen as progressive. 

• Like 1

I liked the idea until I heard (I think on NPR) that cities that have banned them have seen fatal food poisoning cases double or triple.  Getting salmonella on your raw spinach doesn't seem as likely with plastic, not to mention how many people launder their bags after every use, using HOT water to kill the contaminants?

I shop at places like Aldi that don't provide free bags, but I worry about this sort of thing.

Yes, back to my complaint that I have a tough time finding washable bags.  Some say they are washable and recommend hand washing.  Pah...I'm not hand washing bags.  I need something I can throw in the washer.  Whenever I do they don't last long after that. 

• Like 4

Make your own. One of literally hundreds of free tutorials online:

http://www.morsbags.com/get-involved/pattern-download-links/

I might do this only because I can't seem to find exactly what I want.  However, I absolutely do not enjoy sewing things.  This is really a form of torture in my mind.  I just want to buy bags.

But ya know that is part of encouraging people to change.  Don't make it difficult and annoying.  Selling you stupid bags that cannot be washed is difficult and annoying.  I end up throwing those bags out, which tend to be "plasticy" so am I really improving the situation with that?  I don't see how.

• Like 1

I'm all for it.  I hate the number of plastic bags used.  One grocery trip I can use 4 of our reusable bags or the store packs 12 plastic ones.

I'm not sure how I would feel about taking away plastic produce bags, though.  When I buy at the farmer's market, obviously we don't use them - the produce goes directly in my bag, loose or not.  But at the grocery store I'd worry about green beans wandering their way through the oatmeal and eggs. :lol:

• Like 1

I might do this only because I can't seem to find exactly what I want. However, I absolutely do not enjoy sewing things. This is really a form of torture in my mind. I just want to buy bags.

But ya know that is part of encouraging people to change. Don't make it difficult and annoying. Selling you stupid bags that cannot be washed is difficult and annoying. I end up throwing those bags out, which tend to be "plasticy" so am I really improving the situation with that? I don't see how.

Well, you only have to sew them once, or once every five or ten years. ;)

I've made some out of ripcord so they are strong and dry quickly.

You can also looks at brands such as Envirosax if you want bags that are lightweight and can be washed.

• Like 2

I bet stretchy denim would be the perfect material (whatever it is they use to make jeans that have some stretch/give to them).  There is enough plastic in it to avoid too much shrinking.  That would be a bit like the stretch you get from a plastic bag (that you do not get from an all cotton bag which makes them annoying to shove as much as you can in them).  And that could be machine washed and dried. 

Maybe I invented something here.  Nobody take my idea!

LOL

• Like 1

Yes, back to my complaint that I have a tough time finding washable bags.  Some say they are washable and recommend hand washing.  Pah...I'm not hand washing bags.  I need something I can throw in the washer.  Whenever I do they don't last long after that. 

Have you looked on Etsy? There are lots of different kinds of washable bags there. Here are two I just clicked on quickly, and they both say they are machine washable and dryable: #1 and #2.

• Like 1

I'm all for it. I hate the number of plastic bags used. One grocery trip I can use 4 of our reusable bags or the store packs 12 plastic ones.

I'm not sure how I would feel about taking away plastic produce bags, though. When I buy at the farmer's market, obviously we don't use them - the produce goes directly in my bag, loose or not. But at the grocery store I'd worry about green beans wandering their way through the oatmeal and eggs. :lol:

You can easily make or buy mesh bags to take with you to the market. I use these for bulk items (beans, rice, etc) as well. It's just a new mindset to adjust to. And it literally does the world good.

• Like 1

Well, you only have to sew them once, or once every five or ten years. ;)

I've made some out of ripcord so they are strong and dry quickly.

You can also looks at brands such as Envirosax if you want bags that are lightweight and can be washed.

Yes and I cannot tell you how much I do not want to do this.  And I will have to order everything from on-line because there are no stores around here that carry fabric or anything needed for sewing. 

I don't even want to hem pants anymore.  I buy hemming tape when I can't avoid it. 

I don't care if they are lightweight.  I want something highly durable, with some stretch, and not tiny. 

You can easily make or buy mesh bags to take with you to the market. I use these for bulk items (beans, rice, etc) as well. It's just a new mindset to adjust to. And it literally does the world good.

I don't sew, and unless you can tare the scale to the weight of an empty bag (at least an ounce or two), you're overpaying.  If our grocery stores here had the scales where I could print the tags right there it would be much easier (loose veggies on scale, tag printed, then veggies put in mesh bag), but I don't see the point of paying more on this issue.

• Like 1

I don't sew, and unless you can tare the scale to the weight of an empty bag (at least an ounce or two), you're overpaying.  If our grocery stores here had the scales where I could print the tags right there it would be much easier (loose veggies on scale, tag printed, then veggies put in mesh bag), but I don't see the point of paying more on this issue.

Oh interesting.  That never comes up here.  They take the stuff out and do it for you at the register. 

Yes and I cannot tell you how much I do not want to do this. And I will have to order everything from on-line because there are no stores around here that carry fabric or anything needed for sewing.

I don't even want to hem pants anymore. I buy hemming tape when I can't avoid it.

I don't care if they are lightweight. I want something highly durable, with some stretch, and not tiny.

Look at the Envirosax site then. My mom has had some of those for years. They are capacious, flexible, and she likes them because they fold up really small. She keeps them in her pocketbook so even if a shopping trip is impromptu, she is covered.

• Like 1

I don't sew, and unless you can tare the scale to the weight of an empty bag (at least an ounce or two), you're overpaying. If our grocery stores here had the scales where I could print the tags right there it would be much easier (loose veggies on scale, tag printed, then veggies put in mesh bag), but I don't see the point of paying more on this issue.

I weighed my bags and sewed in a little label with the tare weights. I am sure something like this must exist commercially as well for people who don't want to bother sewing their own.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

Look at the Envirosax site then. My mom has had some of those for years. They are capacious, flexible, and she likes them because they fold up really small. She keeps them in her pocketbook so even if a shopping trip is impromptu, she is covered.

Folding small is not a factor I am interested in.  On their site it says these bags are ideally hand washed.

I do not want to hand wash bags.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

I use plastic bags at home (garbage can liners, picking up dog messes, carrying lunch to work, etc.), so I would miss getting them for free. I recycle the ones we don't use. I'm glad we can still have them here.

Most grocery stores here sell reusable bags now. They are inexpensive.  I like the plastic bag from Trader Joe's.  I tend not to put unwrapped food directly into my bags but even ones that can't be machine-washed can be wiped down with a soapy cloth and left to dry.   If it's a sunny day, I set the bags outside.   I wonder if shooting some hot air from a blowdryer would also kill any germs...  

• Like 3

Plus I find this stuff to be an incredible turn off.  I'm not interested in stylish faddish "look at how eco and stylish I'm being" bags.  I want bags that WORK.  That are functional.  That you can actually wash!

Same size as paper grocery bags, machine washable (but not dryable), supposedly a bit stretchy, $21 for 3:

http://www.simpleecology.com/shop/organic-cotton-deluxe-reusable-canvas-grocery-bags

• Like 2

Same size as paper grocery bags, machine washable (but not dryable), supposedly a bit stretchy, $21 for 3:

http://www.simpleecology.com/shop/organic-cotton-deluxe-reusable-canvas-grocery-bags

Ok so if they can only be washed in cold water, how is that killing germs?  I'm back to my original complaint. 

I'm baffled that it's so hard to find bags that can be washed and dried.

I'm going to look for that stretchy denim material and try making them with that.  I think that would be perfect.

Although I'm not sure my machine can handle sewing denim.  We'll find out.

• Like 2

One thing I've noticed is that when people bring their own bags to stores, it takes the cashier a lot longer to load them. If I notice, I won't get in line behind someone who brings their own bags.

Incidentally, this is not a problem at Aldi. Your stuff is basically tossed into an empty cart, and you go to a long shelf to bag items yourself. This does not slow down the line one bit.

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 3