Menu

Caribbean relocation ideas?

creekland

Hubby and I are definitely looking at relocating as early as a year and a half from now (when youngest finishes college - aka - our finances improve considerably)!  We had been planning on this in about 5-8 years (when middle finished med school), but have moved up our time frame.

This means we have not yet investigated any of the places we're thinking might be ideal (those were in our 5-8 year travel plans - very little of our previous travel has been in the Caribbean and none in Central America) - hence - asking thoughts on here in case any of y'all have thoughts/ideas/suggestions we haven't thought about.

What we NEED:

- Big water - location on an ocean/gulf/sea, etc.  A lake is NOT big enough.  This is a dealbreaker, so no suggestions without it.

- English speaking.  I could get by with French, but no one else in my family could and none of us have the desire to live in another country without a decent command of the language.  This is another dealbreaker.  I don't want to be in an ex-pat community where one merely doesn't need the other language.  We want to end up feeling at home with the local community.

- Welcoming diversity.  We would love to live somewhere that attracts both locals and folks from all over the world with at least the majority living in harmony - sharing recipes, stories, etc.  We don't care what folks choose for the particulars in their lives and want them to not care about our choices either.  This is also a dealbreaker.

What we prefer:

- Island with mountains.  We love HI (Kauai, Big Island - not Oahu).  We enjoyed time on the Bahamas (Grand Bahama, not Nassau), but it was too flat for our preferences.

- Slower pace of life - no rat race at all - low concern about material goods.  (This is part of why we loved/didn't like the islands above.)

- A Christian community - one that cares about everyone rather than imposing Pharisee types of laws (or disgust) on non-believers.  If this exists, great.  If not, we're ok by ourselves.

- Reasonably accessible - we still love to travel, so not terribly difficult to get to.

- Lower COL.  Moving up our time frame means we don't have as much in savings.  This has more or less eliminated HI even though we love it there - besides - we've chosen the Caribbean instead due to it's better location (closer to more things/people like family).  That said, HI remains on our radar.  We've just been there and feel we know what we're comparing with that option.

- Food grown on the island (or area).  Semi-sustainable. Places that require everything to be shipped in are kind of scary in an emergency.

So far we have on our list of places to check out:

Belize - on the Cays

St Kitts

St Vincent & the Grenadines

Dominica

Barbuda

Grenada

USVI (possibly some BVI pending COL)

I know some of those have high COL... it's a preference, not an absolute.

Are there other places I should be checking out?  Since we no longer have 5-8 years to travel to these places seeing them in person I want to check out a bit online in order to use our travel $$ to zone in on some "really likely" options.

We're open to all thoughts (or websites comparing islands)!  I'm looking forward to the next couple of years and planning, then finally visiting and shifting into our new phase in life!   :coolgleamA:

• Like 5

Well, my ds says Cartagena, Columbia, is at the top of his list!

Colombia would be there in consideration if we spoke Spanish.  I had a friend at school who tried her best to sell me on her country.  She's since moved to FL so I don't see her anymore, but I haven't forgotten.  I just prefer knowing the language rather than not.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2

We've been keeping our eye on Belize for awhile. Their incentives for foreigners seem very good, as does the quality of life. I believe I read that their highest elevation is a little over 1400 feet? Don't know if that quite qualifies as a mountain.

But we haven't visited there yet.

• Like 1

LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP.  Make many trips, at different times of the year, to any place you contemplate moving to.  English speaking is very limiting.. I wonder if Puerto Rico would be considered? They speak "Spanglish" (as I do). However, many people have moved from P.R. to the USA in recent years (200,000 in Central FL?) and that includes many  doctors. I would want to be somewhere where they have excellent medical care, or where it is near.  Everywhere you might go, you must assume there is a lot of crime, violent crime, and drugs. Central America, Caribbean islands or here in South America.   I moved to Colombia 21 years ago and am very happy with that decision, which came as a huge surprise, because I had planned to move to Mexico (Cancun) and made 2 exploratory trips to Venezuela, but Colombia wasn't on my Radar.  I THANK GOD that I did not move to Venezuela!   I would look for a stable government and a country (like Colombia) that is a friend and ally of the USA).  Belize and most of Central America, my wife and I consider to be much more dangerous at this time than Colombia is now.

I knew a couple who lived somewhere remote in Central Belize.  Their home was burned down (Arson).   Not a good sign...  Probably one could live somewhere else in Belize and be extremely content.  Everywhere you might live there are pros and cons. Everything is a compromise.  The Dominican Republic is another place I would suggest for your list of possibilities, but it is a Spanish speaking country. My favorite singer and band are based there. Our (Colombian) Caribbean islands (San Andres and Providencia) are out, because there are severe restrictions on who can move there, so the islands are not destroyed by over population. People we know who lived there loved it, but we know of others who hated it,, because living on a  tiny island is like being on a Cruise Ship that doesn't stop in any big city where you can shop, or in Prison..   GL with your decision!

• Like 5

Columbia would be there in consideration if we spoke Spanish.  I had a friend at school who tried her best to sell me on her country.  She's since moved to FL so I don't see her anymore, but I haven't forgotten.  I just prefer knowing the language rather than not.

I have a T Shirt and a Coffee Cup, purchased in a gift shop in El Dorado Airport in Bogota (on different trips), that says "Its Colombia, not Columbia"  I drink my Coffee from that cup every day.  I believe that almost 100% of Americans misspell the name of this country. I think it is because of Columbia University and the District of Columbia. You are not alone!

Colombia is a very strong ally of the USA (possibly the only one in Latin America) and I like that. Very stable government.

We have a Free Trade Agreement with the USA that I hope will remain in place.  The U.S. Dollar is extremely strong here at this time. I assume that is also true in many or most countries.

TVs, phones, etc. that work in the USA work here. 

One thing you must take into consideration is the Purchasing Power  of the U.S. Dollar when you are living in a country where the U.S. Dollar is not the local currency.  Our family was just about destroyed, when the U.S. Dollar collapsed in value and our purchasing power was cut in half.   Now, it is very strong again, but we had very hard times, for a number of years, until about mid  2014.

Many Americans and other foreigners were lured into Costa Rica, many years ago, when they had a program that allowed people to bring in cars and boats, etc. Then, they cancelled that program. I would have no problem with Costa Rica, had they "grandfathered" the people who'd moved there under those regulations, but my understanding is that they were not grandfathered. I would not depend upon incentives that might be taken away like that...

Here in Colombia there are, to my knowledge, no incentives like that.  We are on the economy.

You want/need to be in a place where you can transfer money without  Currency Controls or Crime.  Here in Colombia, there are no problems. When I was in Venezuela on one of 2 trips, in 1991, an American I met on Margarita Island (he was married to a Venezuelan woman) told me that sometimes people had $ wire transferred into their bank account in Venezuela and the people who worked in their bank stole their money.  That was in 1991, before Hugo Chavez and before the banks in Venezuela collapsed.

• Like 1

We've been keeping our eye on Belize for awhile. Their incentives for foreigners seem very good, as does the quality of life. I believe I read that their highest elevation is a little over 1400 feet? Don't know if that quite qualifies as a mountain.

But we haven't visited there yet.

Belize is a place everyone has recommended to us.  We haven't been there yet either, but they're on my "top to research" list.  We'd definitely stay coastal, so would lose our favored topography even if it's different in other areas.  It still seems worth checking out though.

LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP.  Make many trips, at different times of the year, to any place you contemplate moving to.  English speaking is very limiting.. I wonder if Puerto Rico would be considered? They speak "Spanglish" (as I do). However, many people have moved from P.R. to the USA in recent years (200,000 in Central FL?) and that includes many  doctors. I would want to be somewhere where they have excellent medical care, or where it is near.  Everywhere you might go, you must assume there is a lot of crime, violent crime, and drugs. Central America, Caribbean islands or here in South America.   I moved to Colombia 21 years ago and am very happy with that decision, which came as a huge surprise, because I had planned to move to Mexico (Cancun) and made 2 exploratory trips to Venezuela, but Colombia wasn't on my Radar.  I THANK GOD that I did not move to Venezuela!   I would look for a stable government and a country (like Colombia) that is a friend and ally of the USA).  Belize and most of Central America, my wife and I consider to be much more dangerous at this time than Colombia is now.

I knew a couple who lived somewhere remote in Central Belize.  Their home was burned down (Arson).   Not a good sign...  Probably one could live somewhere else in Belize and be extremely content.  Everywhere you might live there are pros and cons. Everything is a compromise.  

No one has ever accused me of not looking into things enough.  ;)

I disagree that English is limiting in the Caribbean.  There are several islands that have English as an official language (and speak it).  

Medical care is not a limiting factor for us.  As long as there is someone around to fix a broken bone or offer antibiotics for an infection, we're fine.  Living into a long old age isn't a "need" for us - esp after my medical experiences here.  "Living while alive" is a goal though, and we love traveling and different experiences, so for this next phase in our life we want to do something different than we've done before - focusing in on a bit of what we enjoy.  I realize we tend to be different in our thoughts on this, so just explaining...

Crime, violent crime, and drugs?  There are several columns of basic crime in our local newspaper (3-4 lines of actual court case reports) weekly.  There are murders weekly (or more often) in small cities 1 hour north and 20 minutes east of us and more common in a larger city 1 1/2 hour south of us.  I could probably get you drugs from our school - or in town.  Drug abuse is one of the most common causes for entrance into local ERs according to my neighbor who works there - not to mention how many of those court cases deal with drugs.  I'm not sure much changes by moving (anywhere).  I think those are problems pretty common to our planet.  One always has to be careful.  Sometimes I think folks have an unreal idea of how safe the US is, but I know there are places that are better/worse.

Getting bored in an area is a concern we have.  We'd love to live on the road 24/7 (taking plenty of time to explore any given area).  This is where living on a sailboat could be better, but I'm not sure I want to live on a boat and I know my mom wouldn't.  The "community" would likely fit what we are looking for overall to some extent.  We're also seriously thinking of long term renting so if we want to move on again it's easier.  Part of our Caribbean selection is due to there being several islands to explore nearby - and tons of good snorkeling/diving if I can still dive.

There are many things we need to zero in on over the next couple of years.

-----------------

With a sharing idea... if anyone else is interested in moving globally, this site seems to have a bit of good "nuts and bolts" financial info with it:

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Caribbean

I've only begun to explore it.  It seems to give a decent overview for beginning a search - at least for the islands.  (To get to other sections of the world, click on the area you want under "Explore Destinations.  I have not looked at those except for the US section - the US being too broad to get much useful for any one destination, of course.  Islands are smaller.)

• Like 4

I have a T Shirt and a Coffee Cup, purchased in a gift shop in El Dorado Airport in Bogota (on different trips), that says "Its Colombia, not Columbia"  I drink my Coffee from that cup every day.  I believe that almost 100% of Americans misspell the name of this country. I think it is because of Columbia University and the District of Columbia. You are not alone!

Fixed it!  Had I thought about it I'd have gotten it correctly, but I was on autopilot, and yes, pretty much all "Columbia" spellings in the US use the U rather than O.  It's good you pointed it out.

• Like 1

@creekland    You are correct about drugs being everywhere.  I was astonished recently, before Election Day, when someone said that one can buy Heroin, for less cost than Candy, in the USA now. IF that is true, I can't begin to imagine what has happened there. When I was a boy, my mother knew someone who lived a few blocks from our house. Her DD got into Heroin. Her DD was sent to the Federal Penitentiary for Women, in Lexington, KY.    It sounds like Belize or one oif the British islands in the Caribbean should be the first place you should explore.  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

My wife and I lived on the island of St. Maarten (St. Martin) for 3 years.  We still own a condo there, and will be there this January and February.  It's a fun island. 

Which side?  How common is English - not just for transactions, but actual conversation?  It looks gorgeous!

I've been to the Virgin Islands. They are probably smaller than you are looking for. St. Thomas is small and very hilly so there is not a lot of food production. Pretty much everything is shipped in so the grocery stores are very expensive. St Croix is less hilly and does produce dairy. I don't know much else about it. St. John is beautiful and very hilly.

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2008/11/04/growing-our-own-agriculture-virgin-islands

http://www.usvi.net/archives/vi-in-depth-archives/caribcat-how-much-did-you-say/

They have been working on becoming less dependant on imported energy.

http://energy.gov/eere/articles/us-virgin-islands-ramping-clean-energy-efforts-eye-toward-sustainable-future

Puerto Rico on the other hand, has more farms and ranches. It's not nearly as hilly though.

• Like 1

I love Jamaica. Not cerain what the basic health care options are though. Having been a British Colony English is the official langauge, and quite a lot of food is grown on the island - bananas and lots of other kinds of fruit, chicken/eggs, seafood, etc. It is 400 miles off Florida so a short plane ride to Miami if you needed to plan for a non emergency surgery or something.

Dh and I have begun our research for our move 9 years from now when he retires. We will still be in the states from mid March through September, but October to mid March in southern Egypt.

• Like 2

I don't know the COL but Tortolla BVI is nice. A friend's parent had a house there for years. There was access by ferry or plane. They sold after the father had a second heart attack bc they didn't want to be so far from high end hospitals.

BVI has been recommended to us several times from others as well.  Folks tell us the crime rate and atmosphere beats USVI.  USVI would have an edge that, if we needed to, we could work there.  Ideally I'd love to explore both as they are both gorgeous in photos.

I love Jamaica. Not cerain what the basic health care options are though. Having been a British Colony English is the official langauge, and quite a lot of food is grown on the island - bananas and lots of other kinds of fruit, chicken/eggs, seafood, etc. It is 400 miles off Florida so a short plane ride to Miami if you needed to plan for a non emergency surgery or something.

Dh and I have begun our research for our move 9 years from now when he retires. We will still be in the states from mid March through September, but October to mid March in southern Egypt.

My boys have all been to Jamaica and middle son has been to Haiti.  They've loved their times there, but crime is certainly a larger issue in both due to poverty.  The people they've met in both were wonderful though - and they've raved about the food options in Jamaica.

Another consideration with living on an island is the local ex-pat culture.  My aunt and uncle lived 6mo. a year, for 20+ years, on St. Thomas Virgin Island. They loved it, but it has a big drinking/bar hopping culture (they were BIG drinkers).  There's not much else to do besides the typical touristy stuff (sunbathing, snorkling, fishing)...so those that live there long-time or full-time tend to spend a lot of time in the drinking culture.  '

My MIL has a house in Costa Rica.   We've visited with her in the past and it is a wonderful country.  It has beaches as well as a central mountainous area.  They even have a volcano.  I don't know how well they speak English in the mountains (it's more rural).   People are very friendly and I felt very safe in the central part of the country where I went.   The beaches have more problems with crime as its a higher tourist area. 

Another issue we have run into with my MIL is a local guy latched himself onto her (he said he wanted her to help him learn more English :001_rolleyes: ) .  She was completely taken in and it's become a problem.  Over the last 9-10yrs she's given him tens of thousands of dollars.    She used to stay at a local B&B and the couple running it LOVED her, but in the end they finally asked the family to tell her not to come back because of this other guy.   They found it too distressing to watch her being taken in by this charmer.   They also told my SIL that people like him were a problem in their country.  They charm their way into being trusted by Ex-Pat Americans (usually older people) and then tell sob stories about their family needing medical care/financial care.  This guy hit the gravy train with my dear MIL.  

Edited by PrincessMommy

Which side?  How common is English - not just for transactions, but actual conversation?  It looks gorgeous!

We live (lived) on the Dutch side of St. Maarten, close to the border with the French side.  There is no border patrol; we'll often drive (or jog or bike!) to the French side.  Our condo is in this resort:

http://www.portocupecoy.com

There are other housing options that are more affordable.  Yes, gorgeous is the word I'd use. 

English is the primary language on the Dutch side.  On the French side, you'll hear a mix of French and English.  Neither I nor my wife know French.  Well, I took it in high school, but alas forgot most of it.  When on the French side, I try to use a few French words (e.g., Bonjour or Merci) out of politeness, but otherwise will communicate in English.   

If you decide to visit the island for research purposes, let me know and you might be able to stay in our condo. 

Edited by Ravi B
  • Like 1

Crime, violent crime, and drugs?  There are several columns of basic crime in our local newspaper (3-4 lines of actual court case reports) weekly.  T 

It's true that drugs and violent crime are 'everywhere' to an extent, but I think you might be underestimating how different it may be in certain Central American locations. 

I've not been myself, but I know people who lived in Central America for many years, one of them a native. They were unanimous in saying that the crime is on a different level than in the US. In Belize, fully armed soldiers were a common sight in the city, although I think that ended or diminished a couple of years ago. 

They did have many positive things to say about other aspects of living there, but made it clear that avoiding crime and looking out for personal safety was a much bigger part of their daily lives in Central America. 

One more thing I would research is the ongoing border dispute between Belize and Guatemala. I actually saw an article dated today that says they have agreed to let the world court resolve it, which seems like a good sign. 

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

I see you mentioned Barbuda, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth about Antigua. Friends of mine have had a family house there for decades, lived more or less full time for four or five years. I visited often. Import duties are insane, so prices on many things were sky high. After several years, my friends had a feeling of being trapped, as they saw the same people again and again. But the island was very friendly. I used to attend the local Anglican Church and was always made to feel very welcome, invited to special events, like confirmations, etc. (despite being one of the few, if f not the only, white person there). The coastline is wonderfully scalloped, with lots of little bays and harbors, sandy beaches. Beautiful reefs, great sailing culture.

ETA. Very sunny climate, good for vacationing, but water is not abundant.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Just a few thoughts on relocating to new places. Our situation was rather like yours because the time table had to accelerate by a few years. We simply rented a flat in a city we don't think we ever even stopped for petrol in and moved. Needed the location for work. We had visited the country 30plus times but where we now live was never part of the itinerary. The relocation specialist did a fabulous job meeting our physical needs but socially our first location here was a disaster. We did not fit at all. Until you truly experience something you won't know. Spending a couple of weeks in a town less than an hour away on holiday a few years before was useless in terms of our real life. We knew about some good museums....:lol:

Do your research and try it. I wouldn't commit beyond a six month lease. It sounds to me like HI might really be your dream. Islands anywhere are expensive and HI is probably going to be easier to really collect data regarding costs. I wouldn't rule it out. Actually I would compare everything else to that because you are the most familiar with that island. We never considered how much our water bill would be here and were shocked to discover thats its way less and we probably use far more. Look at the whole picture.

• Like 2

Another consideration with living on an island is the local ex-pat culture.  My aunt and uncle lived 6mo. a year, for 20+ years, on St. Thomas Virgin Island. They loved it, but it has a big drinking/bar hopping culture (they were BIG drinkers).  There's not much else to do besides the typical touristy stuff (sunbathing, snorkling, fishing)...so those that live there long-time or full-time tend to spend a lot of time in the drinking culture.  '

My MIL has a house in Costa Rica.   We've visited with her in the past and it is a wonderful country.  It has beaches as well as a central mountainous area.  They even have a volcano.  I don't know how well they speak English in the mountains (it's more rural).   People are very friendly and I felt very safe in the central part of the country where I went.   The beaches have more problems with crime as its a higher tourist area. 

Another issue we have run into with my MIL is a local guy latched himself onto her (he said he wanted her to help him learn more English :001_rolleyes: ) .  She was completely taken in and it's become a problem.  Over the last 9-10yrs she's given him tens of thousands of dollars.    She used to stay at a local B&B and the couple running it LOVED her, but in the end they finally asked the family to tell her not to come back because of this other guy.   They found it too distressing to watch her being taken in by this charmer.   They also told my SIL that people like him were a problem in their country.  They charm their way into being trusted by Ex-Pat Americans (usually older people) and then tell sob stories about their family needing medical care/financial care.  This guy hit the gravy train with my dear MIL.  

Snorkeling and fishing are a couple of things we enjoy and look forward to doing more of.  Bar hopping has never been our thing, but we're pretty used to some of our friends choosing that route for themselves.  We don't mind.  

It has to be frustrating seeing your MIL taken in by a scammer.  My grandmother here in the US had something very similar happen to her back in the '90s in FL.   :grouphug:

We live (lived) on the Dutch side of St. Maarten, close to the border with the French side.  There is no border patrol; we'll often drive (or jog or bike!) to the French side.  Our condo is in this resort:

http://www.portocupecoy.com

There are other housing options that are more affordable.  Yes, gorgeous is the word I'd use. 

English is the primary language on the Dutch side.  On the French side, you'll hear a mix of French and English.  Neither I nor my wife know French.  Well, I took it in high school, but alas forgot most of it.  When on the French side, I try to use a few French words (e.g., Bonjour or Merci) out of politeness, but otherwise will communicate in English.   

If you decide to visit the island for research purposes, let me know and you might be able to stay in our condo. 

This definitely sounds like an island I'll look into more.  We won't be traveling for at least a year, because this year we're using funds to stay in FL (again) for Feb as we've never gone to youngest's Parents Day weekend and want to go to one before he graduates, then have extended that trip for 3-4 weeks with most plans already made and paid for.  For most of the rest of the year we plan to sock more into savings while we research online (seeing local news from various places, comparing costs, etc).  Starting next Feb (2018) I want to have a visit list set up.  We might actually sail between places so I can try out the live aboard option to see if it agrees with me.  It's hubby's first choice and has the "pro" to it that we aren't "stuck" in one area.  A sailboat is also less expensive than buying a condo, though it won't have appreciation over time like a condo should.

We have thought about Guam and American Samoa, but while our parents are still alive and our kids are likely still in the US, they're just so far away for visits...  Guam also has a ton of snakes in its wild areas, right?

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2

<snip>

We have thought about Guam and American Samoa, but while out parents are still alive and our kids are likely still in the US, they're just so far away for visits...  Guam also has a ton of snakes in its wild areas, right?

Between Guam and American Samoa, I think I would be much more interested in Guam.  Better airline flights, infrastructure, well protected (Andersen AFB), etc.

http://www.andersen.af.mil/

• Like 1

Just a few thoughts on relocating to new places. Our situation was rather like yours because the time table had to accelerate by a few years. We simply rented a flat in a city we don't think we ever even stopped for petrol in and moved. Needed the location for work. We had visited the country 30plus times but where we now live was never part of the itinerary. The relocation specialist did a fabulous job meeting our physical needs but socially our first location here was a disaster. We did not fit at all. Until you truly experience something you won't know. Spending a couple of weeks in a town less than an hour away on holiday a few years before was useless in terms of our real life. We knew about some good museums.... :lol:

Do your research and try it. I wouldn't commit beyond a six month lease. It sounds to me like HI might really be your dream. Islands anywhere are expensive and HI is probably going to be easier to really collect data regarding costs. I wouldn't rule it out. Actually I would compare everything else to that because you are the most familiar with that island. We never considered how much our water bill would be here and were shocked to discover thats its way less and we probably use far more. Look at the whole picture.

Before kids (and before they started school) we lived in 4 states moving on a whim more or less - mainly because we're wanderers by nature.  We only settled down when oldest was 5 because we wanted them to have a "hometown" they could call their own.  Now we've been here 20 years and that wanderer lifestyle is calling us again.  We've loved every place we'd been in before - adapting easily to different areas, customs, food, and people.  We've also gone places for a month at a time (extended trips) and fit in without a problem.  We make friends easily.

HI is a place we've wanted to live since first seeing it... but it is quite far from our family, so while our parents are still alive, the Caribbean is calling.  It's closer.  It has mountains, gorgeous water, snorkeling, diving, and many places to explore that we haven't been to yet.  We enjoyed the Bahamas (one of those month-long trips) and met a fair number of locals and ex pats (US and Canadian), so could be happy returning to their company, but I suspect we'll find friends elsewhere too.

I think you're right that renting or a sailboat will fit us better though.  That makes even more sense as I type out our past.  We've lived here quite happily for 20 years, but I don't know that I want our final 20 years (+/-) to be in one spot and there are so many extra costs with buying/selling real estate.  There's so much of the world I want to explore and people I want to meet...

• Like 3

Dh and I normally make friends easily too. That first location was just not a good fit and we felt such pressure to make it work. We made lots of friends during that time but they were all from other areas. Its far harder to connect with people when you are under pressure to. We came very close to moving to to a completely different area of the country because we kept meeting great people from there. Home ed opportunities etc. We ended up giving a village about 10 miles from our original city location a try. Still there although that wasn't our plan. We love it here. We rented for several years with no regrets. I lived with cheap temp furniture for all that time too in case we wanted to move! :) own a house and good furniture now so probably here long term. ;)

• Like 4

Belize is beautiful. It used to be more of a jewel when it was less commercialized. Not many people traveled there. Right now central America is a pretty dangerous place. There is a lot of gang violence and drugs.

+1   Central America, in general, is pretty dangerous.  We live in Colombia (Cali) and my wife and I, from what we know, and people we know who live there or travel there, and what we see in the news,  consider that area to be  far more dangerous than where we live. 

• Like 1

We are in S.W. Colombia, just over 3 degrees North of the Equator.  One thing that I like, living so close to the Equator, is that we get approximately 12 hours of daylight, year round.  So, I would suggest that the farther South you go in the Caribbean, the more hours of daylight you will have.  Possibly consider adding the ABC islands of the Dutch Caribbean (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) to the list of places you consider. They are just North of Venezuela.  

Guam is approximately 6000 miles west of California, and I think approximately 13 degrees North of the Equator.  

• Like 1

+1   Central America, in general, is pretty dangerous.  We live in Colombia (Cali) and my wife and I, from what we know, and people we know who live there or travel there, and what we see in the news,  consider that area to be  far more dangerous than where we live. 

Central Belize or coastal Belize?  Folks have told us to stay away from central, but the coast is still really nice, so just checking to see if your thoughts differ from theirs or not.

We are in S.W. Colombia, just over 3 degrees North of the Equator.  One thing that I like, living so close to the Equator, is that we get approximately 12 hours of daylight, year round.  So, I would suggest that the farther South you go in the Caribbean, the more hours of daylight you will have.  Possibly consider adding the ABC islands of the Dutch Caribbean (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) to the list of places you consider. They are just North of Venezuela.  

Guam is approximately 6000 miles west of California, and I think approximately 13 degrees North of the Equator.  

We have considered Bonaire - esp due to the fantastic diving there, but all three islands are rather desert"ish" which isn't our preference otherwise.

One thing that seems weird to us in Hawaii is the light/dark differences.  We enjoy long hours of light when the weather is warm, so it's strange when that doesn't happen.

• Like 1

Central Belize or coastal Belize?  Folks have told us to stay away from central, but the coast is still really nice, so just checking to see if your thoughts differ from theirs or not.

We have considered Bonaire - esp due to the fantastic diving there, but all three islands are rather desert"ish" which isn't our preference otherwise.

One thing that seems weird to us in Hawaii is the light/dark differences.  We enjoy long hours of light when the weather is warm, so it's strange when that doesn't happen.

I believe the couple whose house was burned down was somewhere in Central Belize. I know they were not in Belize City (which I was told years ago, by people in Cancun, when I was planning to move to Cancun, is very dangerous), but I do not remember the name of the place where they lived. Probably a hamlet rather than a city or small town.    I am acquainted with someone who lived in Coastal Belize for several years. They are in Lubbock now. I think he worked in Belize.

I was on an airline flight that stopped in Aruba once. Caracas to Houston, with a stop in Aruba.  I don't remember much of Aruba from that brief experience. I do remember that on our flight from Houston to Caracas, we were scheduled to land in Aruba, but the weather did not permit us to land there, and we went nonstop from Houston to Caracas, which was my destination.

Disregarding the weather, I doubt that you would like Alaska or places far from the Equator. "The Land of the Midnight Sun" also has many hours of darkness, during the Winter.  I believe the closer you are to the Equator, the more hours of daylight you will receive. Honolulu is 21.3 degrees North.  Key West FL is 24.6 degrees North. A little less  daylight in  Key West?

• Like 1

Disregarding the weather, I doubt that you would like Alaska or places far from the Equator. "The Land of the Midnight Sun" also has many hours of darkness, during the Winter.  I believe the closer you are to the Equator, the more hours of daylight you will receive. Honolulu is 21.3 degrees North.  Key West FL is 24.6 degrees North. A little less  daylight in  Key West?

If we could afford it, we'd snowbird with our wanderings - close to the Equator or in the Southern Hemisphere from Nov (after the leaves fall) to March (right before flowers emerge), up in the Canadian Maritimes or Iceland, etc, from the end of June (Lupine season) to tree turning in the fall, and meandering between the two during the rest of spring/fall.

South/north are both better when they have longer hours of daylight.

Ideal temps are in the upper 60s to 80s F (20-30 C). 

• Like 1

You would love the weather where we live. I think the "Mean" temperature is approximately 76 degrees F.  Our lowest temperature during the year is probably about 63 F. Normally in the mid to high 80's during the day, but there are occasional times when we go up into the 90's and we are broiling.  We do not have any heating or air conditioning equipment in our house.  However, you want to be near/on the water and we live in a Tropical Valley, so we are not on the water.  Explore some of the places on your list and maybe one of them will feel "right" to you and to your DH. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

You would love the weather where we live. I think the "Mean" temperature is approximately 76 degrees F.  Our lowest temperature during the year is probably about 63 F. Normally in the mid to high 80's during the day, but there are occasional times when we go up into the 90's and we are broiling.  We do not have any heating or air conditioning equipment in our house.  However, you want to be near/on the water and we live in a Tropical Valley, so we are not on the water.  Explore some of the places on your list and maybe one of them will feel "right" to you and to your DH. 

Yes, being on the water is non-negotiable.  For the past 20 years of our marriage we've done "my" thing with ponies.  I want hubby to have a chance at his thing too - sailing.  We were both active in our own "things" in our youth/college, then he deferred to me in our choice of where to bring up kids.  (He loves the farm too, he didn't totally give up all his loves.)  In our empty nesting lives, it only seems right to switch.  I love Big Water.  I'm not so sure about living on a boat.  Sailing has never been my thing, but I'm not sure I'm opposed to trying it considering it seems to have several pros with what we are looking for.

Still, at this point I'm researching a bit to have a "Top 10" (maybe 5) list for actual visits, etc.  And I'm crunching our finances as income at that time will be cut back even if he keeps working remotely.

• Like 1

If we could afford it, we'd snowbird with our wanderings - close to the Equator or in the Southern Hemisphere from Nov (after the leaves fall) to March (right before flowers emerge), up in the Canadian Maritimes or Iceland, etc, from the end of June (Lupine season) to tree turning in the fall, and meandering between the two during the rest of spring/fall.

South/north are both better when they have longer hours of daylight.

Ideal temps are in the upper 60s to 80s F (20-30 C).

This is why we have chosen the Nile for snowboarding. That and we will still have the opportunity to make some money in paid tutoring and community ed classes while there. We will spend five months a year there so the average temp will run lows of mid 50's at night to a high of 90 during the day with most days during that period averaging 75-80 which is where I like it. We will escape back to the states so we do not suffer the intensely hot season when temps can hit 120F. If our kids are living abroad though, we will sell our place since we would be visiting other countries. One ds may have an opportunity in Germany when he graduates, one is hoping to land an internship in Iceland, Greenland, or Tanzania after graduation, dd's husband is looking at UK and Japan, and youngest remains to be seen ehere he is motivated to land. He is the most likely to stay stateside, but would also be very happy to find an academic position overseas teaching aeronautical and aerospace engineering, even work for the DoD abroad.

We feel that our optimal living situation will be out of the intense cold and short days of Michigan, living somewhere that stretches our US dollar well - access to reasonably priced basic healthcare and better cost of living - located in a good place from which to travel, with excellent renting options so we aren't tied to property and maintenance. My sister and her husband are permanently in France or potentially another French speaking country since she is getting her PH.D in translation (he is in cyber security so can go anywhere, also has a PH.D in math) so for us the location we have preliminarily chosen in Egypt is an easy and reasonably priced plane ticket to her likely locations. The city we hope to live in is progressive and welcoming. Of course if there is another coup, we could end up starting our search all over again.

It is unfortunate for my parents that they are making the decisions they are. They were warned years ago that this was the plan, and that they would be welcome to come along if they got their ducks in a row. They did the absolute opposite, total polar opposite instead making one disastrous decision after another. She will be stuck here after he passes as she has burned so many bridges with us that we are no longer willing to take her. She is lovey dovey with my sister and brother in law so maybe she can go live with them.

All that to say, Creekland, I get exactly what you mean and why you want to do it. Same here.

I have wondered if Port of Spain, Trinidad would meet your needs. I have heard some good things though I think a lack of mountainous region would be one strike against it. To get both ocean amd mountains probably Central America would be better. At one point we did look at Belize but heard from some expats there that crime against the expat community was rising at an alarming rate. We then looked at Colombia. We were willing to be away from the ocean and found a lakeside villa in a valley for very reasonable rent that was kind of perfect. Same with Costa Rica. But we are more at the beginning stage of planning, and have some personal ties in Egypt that make it a much better fit for our snowbirding and travel.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

I'd look into Trinidad & Tobago. It's not a very touristy country, but it might be a nice place to live. DH has been in Port of Spain a few times on (oil) business, once during Carnaval. He liked it a lot. It's far enough south that it doesn't get hurricanes, so that's also a plus.

ETA: So I wikied T&T's geography. It's highest point is 1000 m. That's a bit higher than the populated sections of Caracas. At that altitude the temperature is a very nice mix of cool nights/mornings (60s F) and warmer days (80s F).

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 1

Fun thread!

We are moving to Port of Spain in August for three years - I'll let you know how it is. We've visited both islands before and there are definitely hills.

Have fun planning!

This is why we have chosen the Nile for snowboarding. That and we will still have the opportunity to make some money in paid tutoring and community ed classes while there. We will spend five months a year there so the average temp will run lows of mid 50's at night to a high of 90 during the day with most days during that period averaging 75-80 which is where I like it. We will escape back to the states so we do not suffer the intensely hot season when temps can hit 120F. If our kids are living abroad though, we will sell our place since we would be visiting other countries. One ds may have an opportunity in Germany when he graduates, one is hoping to land an internship in Iceland, Greenland, or Tanzania after graduation, dd's husband is looking at UK and Japan, and youngest remains to be seen ehere he is motivated to land. He is the most likely to stay stateside, but would also be very happy to find an academic position overseas teaching aeronautical and aerospace engineering, even work for the DoD abroad.

We feel that our optimal living situation will be out of the intense cold and short days of Michigan, living somewhere that stretches our US dollar well - access to reasonably priced basic healthcare and better cost of living - located in a good place from which to travel, with excellent renting options so we aren't tied to property and maintenance. My sister and her husband are permanently in France or potentially another French speaking country since she is getting her PH.D in translation (he is in cyber security so can go anywhere, also has a PH.D in math) so for us the location we have preliminarily chosen in Egypt is an easy and reasonably priced plane ticket to her likely locations. The city we hope to live in is progressive and welcoming. Of course if there is another coup, we could end up starting our search all over again.

It is unfortunate for my parents that they are making the decisions they are. They were warned years ago that this was the plan, and that they would be welcome to come along if they got their ducks in a row. They did the absolute opposite, total polar opposite instead making one disastrous decision after another. She will be stuck here after he passes as she has burned so many bridges with us that we are no longer willing to take her. She is lovey dovey with my sister and brother in law so maybe she can go live with them.

All that to say, Creekland, I get exactly what you mean and why you want to do it. Same here.

I have wondered if Port of Spain, Trinidad would meet your needs. I have heard some good things though I think a lack of mountainous region would be one strike against it. To get both ocean amd mountains probably Central America would be better. At one point we did look at Belize but heard from some expats there that crime against the expat community was rising at an alarming rate. We then looked at Colombia. We were willing to be away from the ocean and found a lakeside villa in a valley for very reasonable rent that was kind of perfect. Same with Costa Rica. But we are more at the beginning stage of planning, and have some personal ties in Egypt that make it a much better fit for our snowbirding and travel.

Happy hunting!

I'd look into Trinidad & Tobago. It's not a very touristy country, but it might be a nice place to live. DH has been in Port of Spain a few times on (oil) business, once during Carnaval. He liked it a lot. It's far enough south that it doesn't get hurricanes, so that's also a plus.

ETA: So I wikied T&T's geography. It's highest point is 1000 m. That's a bit higher than the populated sections of Caracas. At that altitude the temperature is a very nice mix of cool nights/mornings (60s F) and warmer days (80s F).

• Like 2

This is why we have chosen the Nile for snowboarding. ...

You realize, of course, that you taxed my brain out for a little bit wondering how you were snowboarding around the Nile...  :lol:   Isn't autocorrect awesome (for laughs) at times?

1000m will do.  We really just don't care for flat.  Hills can sub in for mountains.  I'll add Trinidad to my "look at" list.

Have you considered New Zealand?

We did - esp with its sailing community.  It's another that's too far away considering the age of our parents.  If our parents were to pass away in the next couple of years, then everything is on the table, but I'm definitely not "wishing" for that to happen!

Fun thread!

We are moving to Port of Spain in August for three years - I'll let you know how it is. We've visited both islands before and there are definitely hills.

Have fun planning!

PLEASE do update.  I'd love to know the thoughts of those actually living in these regions - by private message if not on the open threads.

You are setting a high bar if you insist that English be sufficient. 

Anyway, watch Househunters International, if you get a chance.  I've seen a lot of beautiful places on that show.

Belize has English as the official language.  There are large expat communities in several other places though. 

Oh and while one cannot snowboard on the Nile, one can sandboard (had to tyoe that three times before my kindle left it alone). There is a great hill on the west bank - barbar - very steep. Unfortunately no magic carpet or gondola ride provided so after taking a good long time to climb to the top" followed by panting so long stretched out on the rocks that the local teens were laughing at us and offering to get help, once down the hill was enough!!!

• Like 1

You are setting a high bar if you insist that English be sufficient. 

Anyway, watch Househunters International, if you get a chance.  I've seen a lot of beautiful places on that show.

Belize has English as the official language.  There are large expat communities in several other places though. 

There are several islands that have English as an official language... most (if not all) of them previous colonies.  The sun never set on the British Empire.

If you're at all interested in boating, please join Women Who Sail on FB. You will get tons of info on life as an expat in the Caribbean.

That sounds quite appealing.  I'd have to actually set up a FB account as I doubt hubby could join.  Currently if there's anything worthy on FB (from our kids or friends), he lets me know.  Is there an equivalent for guys?  He might already follow something.  He's often telling me tidbits about folks living aboard.  I'm not sure if he gets those online or via Sail or Ocean Navigator (magazines) or both.

That sounds quite appealing.  I'd have to actually set up a FB account as I doubt hubby could join.  Currently if there's anything worthy on FB (from our kids or friends), he lets me know.  Is there an equivalent for guys?  He might already follow something.  He's often telling me tidbits about folks living aboard.  I'm not sure if he gets those online or via Sail or Ocean Navigator (magazines) or both.

How would the sailing work out if you did have a family emergency? Is your dh planning on staying near major ports that have international airports?

Just curious. I love boats, but LOL, not enough to live on one!

How would the sailing work out if you did have a family emergency? Is your dh planning on staying near major ports that have international airports?

Just curious. I love boats, but LOL, not enough to live on one!

There are many ports where one can rent a slip and live aboard (similar to being in an RV, except on water) or in some places you can buy a slip and rent it out if you aren't there.  How much one actually goes out sailing is up to the person.  We can stay in one spot or meander at our whim.  As with campgrounds, marinas often provide showers, etc.

My BIL/SIL lived aboard a sailboat for many years after they were married.  They enjoyed it.

Hubby said I can choose between a catamaran (smoother sailing) or monohull (nicer interior in his opinion).

I'd still want to try it and "test the waters" before committing to that option, but I know I'd be fine living in an RV, so the small space wouldn't matter - except that my mom wouldn't want to join us.  My kids would easily join us on vacations, but when they have kids, space would be quite limited.

You didn't mention Barbados -- maybe not enough elevation? My sil is from the island and her brother still lives there. The pictures they post of their vacations are idyllic, and include yachting, snorkeling, beautiful beaches, and lovely scenery. 

I hope you find the place that is right for you!!

• Like 1

You didn't mention Barbados -- maybe not enough elevation? My sil is from the island and her brother still lives there. The pictures they post of their vacations are idyllic, and include yachting, snorkeling, beautiful beaches, and lovely scenery. 

I hope you find the place that is right for you!!

Barbados is one I've looked at since starting this thread (that global property site made it pretty easy to look at all the islands in brief).  The main problem is their property prices are a bit higher due to lack of supply.  They don't have mountains, but at least have reasonable size hills, so that's not a dealbreaker.

It's definitely an island I'd love to explore (love their flag as well as their beaches/scenery, etc).

Trust your SIL and her brother enjoy their island?