Menu

Remedies for car sickness

mamiof5

Triscuits.  There's something about the dry, plain cracker that just helps everything stay down.  I also make sure to stay awake and eyes focused on the road the whole time.

More long term, but I have noticed that the more I play with my kids at the park (swinging, spinning on the merry go round), the less I end up sick in the car. There's something about training my body to be used to all the motion again.

I'm really prone to car sickness too. 

Being the driver is def the best tip. 

If you must be passenger, sit in front seat. Look straight ahead. Keep cool air blowing on your face. Blankets & heating pads on the bottom if you worry about getting cold. 

Ginger Gravol if you must stay alert. Regular gravol if you can just sleep through the whole thing & crawl into bed when you arrive at destination. 

Good car. I need a car that's not too goooshy and not too firm. I tend to find Japanese cars work best. American ones, esp the more luxury ones make me heave. European ones otoh tend to be too stiff & jerk you around.  Toyota & Honda have been happy mediums for me. 

If you are the passenger, a good driver. Someone who is calm, doesn't change lanes manically, doesn't dart ahead & then slam on brakes. Just a calm, placid good driver who is in no hurry. 

Avoid traffic. 

Good weather. I think it's worse in the rain. I think the wipers cause dizziness even if you try to not 'see' them but when you're a passenger, you notice them more than when you're concentrating on driving. Rain and drizzle also shorten the horizon. 

• Like 2

My son and I both get quite carsick and we drive from MD to FL every summer. 

We have found that ginger chewables help (we get ours at Trader Joes) and we both wear Sea Bands, which are pressure point bracelets.  They sell Sea Bands at CVS or other drug stores. 

I prefer to drive, but when I'm not, I use the above. My son doesn't care for the ginger, but he will use them if he needs to.  He just keeps a pair of Sea Bands in my car for all car rides now. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

my younger sister got terribly car sick when we were children. she would start vomiting as the car was driving out the driveway. it was terrible.  My mum tried everything, eventually she found that if she gave my sister a junket tablet that it would set her whole stomach and she could not bring anything up( my mother's theory not sure  if that was what was happening scientifically). dry reaching wasn't so bad for the rest of the family to cope with 

my younger sister got terribly car sick when we were children. she would start vomiting as the car was driving out the driveway. it was terrible. My mum tried everything, eventually she found that if she gave my sister a junket tablet that it would set her whole stomach and she could not bring anything up( my mother's theory not sure if that was what was happening scientifically). dry reaching wasn't so bad for the rest of the family to cope with

Couldn't like your comment. Your poor sister!!! (and everyone in the car). Hope she can travel easier now

So...why is it that when you drive you don't get as nauseous?? I have noticed that, but just thought it was my impression. I always seat in the passenger's seat (never in the back if I can help it). So, I'm on the front anyway.

Does anyone know why driving helps? Just curious...

So...why is it that when you drive you don't get as nauseous?? I have noticed that, but just thought it was my impression. I always seat in the passenger's seat (never in the back if I can help it). So, I'm on the front anyway.

Does anyone know why driving helps? Just curious...

My personal, unscientific opinion:  I always felt that having more control over the vehicle helped my motion sickness - I could anticipate turns/dips/stopping/etc. more easily (also minimize some of those things.)  Also, keeping my eyes focused on the road ahead always helped me, even when sitting in the passengers seat.  This is easier for me to do (and kind of essential!) when driving.  

• Like 2

My personal, unscientific opinion: I always felt that having more control over the vehicle helped my motion sickness - I could anticipate turns/dips/stopping/etc. more easily (also minimize some of those things.) Also, keeping my eyes focused on the road ahead always helped me, even when sitting in the passengers seat. This is easier for me to do (and kind of essential!) when driving.

I have noticed that, fixing my eyes towards the front helps. I like your non scientific explanation :)

Somethings that have helped my family:

Pressing above and on the lip right above/on the cupid's bow

Anything that activates proprioception in the mouth.....straws and drinks, small lollypops, food

Long trips...we once had an MD who gave us a topical compounded med that worked great...but it has been too many years to recall. He knew it because his family was prone to,motion sickness and he had sick kids.

Since then our kids are older and the car sick ones get motion sickness pills when they want. Sometimes, it is necessary even after we are out of the car as motion does a number on your senory system if you are driving on hills or something.

Seems to be worse with heat.

Edited by Silver Brook

If I'm the driver, I take bonine. It's mostly non-drowsy.

If I'm a passenger, I may take bonine, dramamine, or bendryl, and stay up late the night before to ensure I sleep through it.

If I'm driving through the mountains, sometimes I'll get sick even if I'm driving.