Menu

Oily, dull hair in preteen. Help!

ScoutTN

My 11 yo dd's hair looks awful. 

She has some dandruff and has used the Avalon dandruff shampoo for a good while, then all of a sudden her hair looks oily and dull. Not shiny or bouncy or nice. I am sure the issue is hormone-related oil production, just not sure how to address it.

We have tried many shampoos. The best was Neutrogena clarifying, but it left her hair dry and fly away everywhere except at the roots and still dull. 

We have a formal event this weekend and I really need her hair to look nice. 

Any suggestions?! 

Are you sure she is actually shampooing? I'd pick up some head and shoulders and have her scrub it on just her scalp, let sit while doing the body wash, then rinse. Lather the whole head with a nice smelling shampoo, then rinse. Then work a conditioner into the bottom 2/3 of her hair when she gets out of the shower.

• Like 1

Are you sure she is actually shampooing? I'd pick up some head and shoulders and have her scrub it on just her scalp, let sit while doing the body wash, then rinse. Lather the whole head with a nice smelling shampoo, then rinse. Then work a conditioner into the bottom 2/3 of her hair when she gets out of the shower.

Yes, I have checked for correct method. H&S was our most recent try - dull and oily hair at the roots, even a few hours after showering.

We have tried doing one thing for the roots/scalp and another for the rest of her hair, but the oilyness gets to the rest of her hair very quickly. 

Her hair is shoulder length, very, very fine and light brown with lots of blonde in it. 

My son was having a similar problem and we went through a lot of products without any solutions. Finally talked to his dermatologist who gave him a prescription (with cortisone) to get the flaky scalp under control. That allowed him some flexibility with shampoos that he didn't have with the dandruff shampoos, which always left his hair dull with shampoo build-up and oily. The scalp problem was much easier to manage afterwards. 

Also I had him start using Clinique Oily Skin soap (bar), which helped keep the oils off his face.

When I have shampoo buildup starting, I just add about a teaspoon of baking soda to my shampoo and shampoo as usual.  It's cheap, and allows me to continue with the shampoo I like instead of buying a clarifying shampoo that I only need occasionally. 

My daughter LOVES this product--she bypasses the after shampoo conditioner and sprays it on. It detangles and adds shine. 

https://www.amazon.com/Brasiliana-Dieci-All-One-Treatment/dp/B0039PKJ4U/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1476800060&sr=8-1&keywords=La-Brasiliana+Dieci+All-in-One+Hair+Treatment+8.45+oz

Could the dandruff shampoo be leaving a buildup? From what I've read, it can be a good idea to use a clarifying shampoo once a week or so to remove buildup from other shampoos, but it would be too drying to use on a daily basis.

Yes, we've tried a couple clarifying shampoos. Neutrogena was ok, not great. The rest were failures.

May try the Suave!

she might have the big kid version of cradle cap..or crib crud as my dh called it, lol.  Lots of kids do but it doesn't get noticeable until around that age. The best thing we have found for that is the coal tar shampoo.  It worked like a charm when they were toddlers and when the pre-teen weird buildup/dandruff/gross scalp showed up, it got it off like nothing else.  FWIW, both my kids went through a phase of having that on their scalp, we managed it with the occasional coal tar shampoo, and then it went away.  We only used the coal tar shampoo every other week or less. Neutrogena makes one, but we just used the store brand. I think we used one bottle between the two kids. It lasted forever.

When they weren't using the coal tar shampoo, any kind, along with a good detangler, seemed to be just fine.

• Like 4

I'm going to suggest the opposite:  use moisturizing shampoo. Why?  Because many times oily hair is the result of using shampoos that strip the moisture out and the scalp overcompensates to keep the hair moist.  It will seem a little more dull for the first week or so, but after that it should get less oily.  In the mean time, do an experiment for temporary relief:

Start by using a mask of oil for 15 minutes or more.  Coconut oll is trendy and supposively kills whatever causes dandruff.  Mayonnaise works.  My stepmother swears by a mix of mayonnaise and two eggs, but you must use cold water to wash it out or you end up with scrambled egg in your hair, which is worse.  Whichever you choose, have her leave the oil in, tied up in a bun or shampoo cap for 15 minutes or a couple of hours.  Then have her wash her hair with something extremely stripping:  first wash just baby shampoo or a clarifying shampoo.  Second wash, half shampoo and half baking soda (by volume).  Scrub scrub scrub.  Rinse, pour a cup or two of vinegar through her hair, rinse with cold water.  Use a deep conditioner like Aussie's 3 minute miracle for 3 minutes and do the vinegar rinse again.

You might find that the best option is a water softener in terms of getting rid of dullness.

After that use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner for a week.  Something cheap like Aussie works well.

• Like 2

What kind of conditioner are you using?

I have dark blond limp hair that I had to wash daily for years or it looked really greasy. I switched to Kenra Volumizing conditioner and now can go a couple days between washings. I had bought a sample of conditioner just because I was no longer happy with what I had been using and was amazed at the difference. When I ran out I didn't buy more for about a month and my hair went back to needing to be washed daily again.

Being on a time crunch for the event, wash it as late as possible before she goes. Blow dry her hair on medium temperature right after washing it. Dry shampoo may help but they are not all created equally.

I'm going to suggest the opposite:  use moisturizing shampoo. Why?  Because many times oily hair is the result of using shampoos that strip the moisture out and the scalp overcompensates to keep the hair moist.  It will seem a little more dull for the first week or so, but after that it should get less oily.  In the mean time, do an experiment for temporary relief:

Start by using a mask of oil for 15 minutes or more.  Coconut oll is trendy and supposively kills whatever causes dandruff.  Mayonnaise works.  My stepmother swears by a mix of mayonnaise and two eggs, but you must use cold water to wash it out or you end up with scrambled egg in your hair, which is worse.  Whichever you choose, have her leave the oil in, tied up in a bun or shampoo cap for 15 minutes or a couple of hours.  Then have her wash her hair with something extremely stripping:  first wash just baby shampoo or a clarifying shampoo.  Second wash, half shampoo and half baking soda (by volume).  Scrub scrub scrub.  Rinse, pour a cup or two of vinegar through her hair, rinse with cold water.  Use a deep conditioner like Aussie's 3 minute miracle for 3 minutes and do the vinegar rinse again.

You might find that the best option is a water softener in terms of getting rid of dullness.

After that use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner for a week.  Something cheap like Aussie works well.

An interesting idea. I may try it next week. This week, I barely have time to breathe and I may be getting sick when I have to do a meal for 80 people on Saturday. I have considered that perhaps the dandruff shampoo is overdrying and causing the extra oil production. 

• Like 2

We tried baking soda with some regular, cheap shampoo and it worked like a charm! Back to her normal, shiny hair, full of golden highlights from this summer's sun! She looked lovely today for my mom's party. 

Regular shampoo since then seems to work fine. I think the dandruff shampoo did cause the problem. She will only use that sparingly in the future.

• Like 3

Dawn. Scrub well. Don't use it daily, but every few days to get the gunk off. My oldest is alternating with TJ's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo.

This leave-in conditioner is awesome. And cheap! https://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Fructis-Intensely-Smooth-Conditioning/dp/B005GQ6HUK (at Target or just about any drug store or grocery)

Yep, Dawn dish detergent once a week. Works great. I have also found rotating the shampoo between a few brands helps, too. Right now my dd is using tresemme. She switches it up with the suave and the trader Joe's.

We tried baking soda with some regular, cheap shampoo and it worked like a charm! Back to her normal, shiny hair, full of golden highlights from this summer's sun! She looked lovely today for my mom's party. 

Regular shampoo since then seems to work fine. I think the dandruff shampoo did cause the problem. She will only use that sparingly in the future.

So glad it worked!

• 2 months later...