Menu

A bunch of tomatillos walked through the door

Liz CA

Salsa verde! I sometimes have DD smoke some jalapeños before adding them, which gives the salsa a chipotle flavor. I do actually prefer him to roast the tomatillos themselves in his grill basket, with onions too. In fact. Seriously, just grilled tomatillos, onions, jalapeños, a pinch of salt, a bunch of cilantro thrown into a blender. Just add chips! 

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 4

Mmm.... This is the recipe I use for tomatillo salsa.  (Link to Simply Recipes) 

But last time I made it I made too much, so I stuck it in the freezer and tonight I heated it up, thinned it with a little chicken broth, and turned it into enchilada sauce.  Delicious.

There is also cold tomatillo soup.  I don't see my recipe online so if you are interested, let me know and I'll type it up. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

I made 2 gallons of salsa last month, from maybe 8-10 lbs tomatillos.

Roast ~2 lbs tomatillos under the broiler for 8-10 minutes after husking and rinsing. (They'll still feel a bit sticky, but less so.) Blend in food processor with 1/2 raw onion chopped into 8ths, 2-3 peppers (either spicy or not), a handful of cilantro leaves and stems, 2 cloves of garlic, and salt to taste. 

This tastes better as it sits and freezes well. I only thaw what I can eat in about a week. It's great on eggs and my family likes it with beans and rice in tortillas.

• Like 3

I am so very jealous. I think I'm going to try growing some when it cools off a little here.

I usually make salsa verde with mine and then use the salsa with lots of different things. You can roast, broil, or boil the tomatillos after taking off the papery skins. They don't take long to cook and then they're easy to dump in the blender with your other ingredients. It's easy to experiment to see what you like.

There were generally three different types of salsa verde at the place I'd get my salsa in Mexico. One of very mild and smooth which wasn't my favorite. The best had plenty of onion and cilantro and was chunky- don't blend or process it too much.

• Like 2

Tomatillo Soup is one of my summer favorites. 

Chop onion, garlic, and tomatillos and saute with bay leaf, dried thyme, salt and pepper in large soup pot. Add a bunch of chicken stock and throw in a whole chicken (or any parts with the bone). Bring to a boil and let simmer until chicken is cooked.

Meanwhile, roast some peppers (sweet peppers if you want mild soup or poblano peppers for more heat) in olive oil.

When chicken is cooked remove, let cool and shred the chicken. Add the roasted peppers to the soup and some cilantro. Puree the soup with an immersion blender, then add the shredded chicken.

Serve with a bit of sour cream. Delicious!!

If you want vegetarian, there are a ton of tomatillo soup recipes online.

• Like 4

I am so very jealous. I think I'm going to try growing some when it cools off a little here.

We didn't do any this year, but IMHO they're easier to grow for me than tomatoes. They're less prone to disease. 

When they're fully ripe, mine are slightly sweet, and I eat them plain or in salads.

Or make salsa, or freeze them whole in bags.

If you have a lot of them you can make enchiladas with them either as the base sauce or as a side sauce.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/chicken-enchiladas-with-tomatillo-sauce-enchiladas-verdes.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-enchiladas-with-roasted-tomatillo-chile-salsa-recipe.html

• Like 1

We didn't do any this year, but IMHO they're easier to grow for me than tomatoes. They're less prone to disease. 

They sure are hardy. Tomatillos aren't really available here, so I was pretty excited to find seeds in the catalogue. We gave them a go and they were eaten to a stump three times by the swamp wallaby before they finally gave up and died...

They sure are hardy. Tomatillos aren't really available here, so I was pretty excited to find seeds in the catalogue. We gave them a go and they were eaten to a stump three times by the swamp wallaby before they finally gave up and died...

A wallaby? Ohhhh. :laugh: Next time have a chat with the wallaby and decide which side of the shrub he/she can harvest and which side is yours.

• Like 2

I smoked some this summer & made a salsa verde that way. I also chunk them for the freeze for a white bean chili in the fall.

I planted a tomatillo in my garden and had TWO volunteers come up. I harvested a few days ago and they are still loaded with more to come. I had no time to make salsa, so yesterday I just halved and froze a big bowlful to figure out later.

Last year, I roasted, pureed, and spiced tomatillos for an enchilada sauce which I put in the freezer, but we didn't eat enchiladas as often as usual so I've still got sauce. Trying to figure out what else I can do with a bajillion tomatillos once I've made another batch of salsa.

Tell me about putting them in your chili. Do you just drop the frozen chunks in? Puree them?