Menu

Allergies and Airplanes

Catalytic

re advance notification:

Yes, mine is citrus.  Orange particles are highly airborne.  In everyday life I can usually get away from it quickly, and I carry my epi-pens for just in case, but I've had to have some very uncomfortable conversations when flying.

See, I never knew that citrus could cause such an effect, and I *do* often travel with clementines; like nuts and like products made with flour they pack well.  Yet I would *gladly* forego my clementine, or nuts, or crackers or any other given single thing, so as not to trigger a fellow passenger's anaphylaxis.  If I knew about it.

This thread has shown that there are an *awful lot* of allergens.  Also, that passengers *will* eat on flights.  As a practical matter, airlines cannot prohibit, and monitor, and enforce, every single item that every single passenger eats on board (what could they do, put surveillance cameras above every seat, and have flight attendants monitor every bite of every passenger? Even if they tried, by the time the monitor saw that offending peanut it would be too late).  

So as a legal matter they will never claim to do so.  Best-efforts on a cooperative basis is as good as it's going to get.

If I knew a fellow passenger has a citrus allergy two weeks before my flight, I would happily refrain from packing clementines.  That level of way-advance notice puts an awful lot of cost onto the airlines, though... in addition to requiring a great deal of advance planning action on the part of the allergic person.  

If I am informed *upon boarding* that a fellow passenger has a cinnamon or gluten allergy, I will happily swap seats, or go back to the galley to eat my Cinnabon and wash my hands thereafter.  That's a more reasonable accommodation for the allergic person to ask of the airline and the airline to ask of me.  There are still risks to the allergic person.

Nuts are a common enough allergen that I don't, myself, pack them in carry-on.  I still do see them served often on planes, however.  Several times this summer on Delta, both domestic and international.  

The only time I have gone without food for 12-18 hours is if I'm preparing for surgery. I think suggesting that order people in the plane just not eat is beyond the pale. Perhaps folks who are food allergic might carry some extra appropriate food on board to offer the people around them if they had no other options. Kind of like if I had a baby who was really fussy I might buy earplugs and a drink for those having to sit around me.

No one is ordering that anyone not eat. No one can order anything. This isn't up to the food allergic person. It's up to the airline. Though I admit that we travel with two days worth of safe food for DS and always share. :)

Again, here's what happens, since there seems to be a lot of confusion, and I think it's unclear to some that the only person who can be ordered to do anything is the food allergic individual or family. They can be asked to leave the flight at any time. All accommodations are at the goodwill and discretion of the airline and other passengers.

Food allergic person is not allowed to discuss this with flight attendants or pilot until time to board, so all conversations are quick and to the point.

AP (allergic person): may I board early? I have severe allergies and need to wipe down the seat and put a special seat cover on.

FA (flight attendant): yes. What are your allergies and how severe?

AP: peanut and tree nut (for example). I've had anaphylaxis twice.

FA: yes, I will inform the pilot.

(Pre-boarding starts, FA disappears to talk to pilot, AP starts frantically cleaning seats and hand rests, etc)

FA comes back: we have decided not to serve the trail mix on the flight, and will be serving popcorn instead. Pilot would like to ask passengers to create a peanut and nut free buffer zone around you, for 3 rows. (Sometimes the pilot makes no accommodation at all - this is just the scenario being discussed. So, if there are no accommodations, the allergic person is ready at all times to be either deemed too great a flight risk and asked to leave, or to leave because they feel unsafe).

FA turns and addresses boarding passengers who are heading for buffer zone seats: good day. We have an individual with severe allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. We'd like to ask that you refrain from eating those specific items during the flight.

Passenger 1: ok, not a problem.

Passenger 2: ok, but I brought these crackers and these m 'n ms, and they both have warnings that they might contain traces of nuts. Can I eat those?

FA: yes. We're just asking that you refrain from actual peanuts or nuts, like in a bag of trail mix or a walnut cookie.

Passenger 3: I only have peanut snacks and nut snacks! My kids will melt down if they don't eat, and I'm hypoglycemic.

FA: no problem, can we switch your seat up a few rows? I can offer a seat change.

Passenger 3: well, OK, I guess.

Passenger 4: I can't do that, I have to eat nuts. And I will not change seats.

FA turns to AP: we cannot do the buffer zone. I will go talk to the pilot.

FA returns after discussing with the pilot and says one of two things:

A. Are you comfortable flying without the buffer zone? (At this point, my family would have to leave the flight, since DS has had anaphylaxis under those circumstances).

Or the FA comes back and says:

B. The pilot is uncomfortable with the risk, and we ask that you deboard.

My point here is that a food allergic individual never has the option of ordering anyone to eat, not eat, what to eat, change seats, anything. We fly at the whim of the airlines. Or not.

On a personal note, we only fly for emergencies. We are overwhelmed with gratitude for the people who make accommodations. And, as I said in a PP, we offer to share the food we have, and we have tons of it.

• Like 9

Ok, but the top 8 allergens represent something like 90% of the allergic reactions. It seems silly to me to say, "Well, I can't do it perfectly, so I might as well eat nuts." I feel like that is just being difficult.

Of people who suffer from allergies, a quick google search indicates 2% suffer from spice allergies, of which cinnamon is one. I do, and citrus as well. And bleach. The pine cone Christmas things just about kill me every year. But, I understand maybe you can't avoid cinnamon, fine. About 300, 000 people have cinnamon issues, 3 million people have nut issues.

You can make a difference to a significant number of people by avoiding nuts.

You're one of those people that make me tear up with gratitude. Thanks.

Can I offer you a Sunbutter crunch bar? :)

• Like 8

re advance notification:

See, I never knew that citrus could cause such an effect, and I *do* often travel with clementines; like nuts and like products made with flour they pack well.  Yet I would *gladly* forego my clementine, or nuts, or crackers or any other given single thing, so as not to trigger a fellow passenger's anaphylaxis.  If I knew about it.

This thread has shown that there are an *awful lot* of allergens.  Also, that passengers *will* eat on flights.  As a practical matter, airlines cannot prohibit, and monitor, and enforce, every single item that every single passenger eats on board (what could they do, put surveillance cameras above every seat, and have flight attendants monitor every bite of every passenger? Even if they tried, by the time the monitor saw that offending peanut it would be too late).  

So as a legal matter they will never claim to do so.  Best-efforts on a cooperative basis is as good as it's going to get.

If I knew a fellow passenger has a citrus allergy two weeks before my flight, I would happily refrain from packing clementines.  That level of way-advance notice puts an awful lot of cost onto the airlines, though... in addition to requiring a great deal of advance planning action on the part of the allergic person.  

If I am informed *upon boarding* that a fellow passenger has a cinnamon or gluten allergy, I will happily swap seats, or go back to the galley to eat my Cinnabon and wash my hands thereafter.  That's a more reasonable accommodation for the allergic person to ask of the airline and the airline to ask of me.  There are still risks to the allergic person.

Nuts are a common enough allergen that I don't, myself, pack them in carry-on.  I still do see them served often on planes, however.  Several times this summer on Delta, both domestic and international.  

I agree, hence the uncomfortable conversations.  Nobody wants the person sitting next to them to possibly die while they're sitting right there ;)  It's  a hard conversation to have, especially when you're shy to begin with, but I've never had a person react negatively once I tell them.  And I only bring it up if they're actually getting out an orange or lemon, otherwise there isn't any reason to.

• Like 1

Oh, I have no trouble avoiding nuts on a plane, or not packing them in my child's snack bag for the SAT, or whatever. 

I just sometimes wish people would remember that there are other allergies out there. Sometimes it can be the parents who have a kid with a common allergen who insist that everyone not pack peanut butter who get most huffy when asked to at least let me KNOW what contains cinnamon for a homeschool group lunch, for example.

And I admit to the fact we're going into fall doesn't help. As my DD puts it, I'm allergic to October, November and December-which really includes September, too.

• Like 3

Ok, but the top 8 allergens represent something like 90% of the allergic reactions.

To take that further, peanut allergy is the most common cause of fatal anaphylaxis.

FWIW, United does not serve peanuts on its flights though they do not do buffer zones and of course passengers can bring anything.  We almost always fly United, just coincidentally.  My ds has a severe peanut allergy though a few years ago we did an inhalation challenge for peanut butter, for school purposes, and fortunately he passed that without issue.  Knocking on wood, he's never had an issue on a plane (eta, we've never mentioned it to airline personnel).  While he's also allergic to all tree nuts, sesame and sunflower seeds, it's peanut that keeps me on edge in general.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 3

I'll stop beating on the apparently dead (anaphylaxed?) horse now.

Sorry to those of you who find the airlines unreasonable wrt food allergic people flying. It must be terribly inconvenient. Please know that you have all the power, and every right, to refuse accommodating these requests. The allergic person will always be asked to leave the flight, or choose to, if that's your choice. We're easy to get rid of. (For reference, article linked above.)

And a huge thank you to those of you who do make accommodations. It's a kindness that isn't forgotten once we leave the flight. And I will always share our food with you.

• Like 12

Oh, I have no trouble avoiding nuts on a plane, or not packing them in my child's snack bag for the SAT, or whatever. 

I just sometimes wish people would remember that there are other allergies out there. Sometimes it can be the parents who have a kid with a common allergen who insist that everyone not pack peanut butter who get most huffy when asked to at least let me KNOW what contains cinnamon for a homeschool group lunch, for example.

And I admit to the fact we're going into fall doesn't help. As my DD puts it, I'm allergic to October, November and December-which really includes September, too.

Yes, this has been my experience as well :(

No one is ordering that anyone not eat. No one can order anything. This isn't up to the food allergic person. It's up to the airline. Though I admit that we travel with two days worth of safe food for DS and always share. :)

Again, here's what happens, since there seems to be a lot of confusion, and I think it's unclear to some that the only person who can be ordered to do anything is the food allergic individual or family. They can be asked to leave the flight at any time. All accommodations are at the goodwill and discretion of the airline and other passengers.

Food allergic person is not allowed to discuss this with flight attendants or pilot until time to board, so all conversations are quick and to the point.

AP (allergic person): may I board early? I have severe allergies and need to wipe down the seat and put a special seat cover on.

FA (flight attendant): yes. What are your allergies and how severe?

AP: peanut and tree nut (for example). I've had anaphylaxis twice.

FA: yes, I will inform the pilot.

(Pre-boarding starts, FA disappears to talk to pilot, AP starts frantically cleaning seats and hand rests, etc)

FA comes back: we have decided not to serve the trail mix on the flight, and will be serving popcorn instead. Pilot would like to ask passengers to create a peanut and nut free buffer zone around you, for 3 rows. (Sometimes the pilot makes no accommodation at all - this is just the scenario being discussed. So, if there are no accommodations, the allergic person is ready at all times to be either deemed too great a flight risk and asked to leave, or to leave because they feel unsafe).

FA turns and addresses boarding passengers who are heading for buffer zone seats: good day. We have an individual with severe allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. We'd like to ask that you refrain from eating those specific items during the flight.

Passenger 1: ok, not a problem.

Passenger 2: ok, but I brought these crackers and these m 'n ms, and they both have warnings that they might contain traces of nuts. Can I eat those?

FA: yes. We're just asking that you refrain from actual peanuts or nuts, like in a bag of trail mix or a walnut cookie.

Passenger 3: I only have peanut snacks and nut snacks! My kids will melt down if they don't eat, and I'm hypoglycemic.

FA: no problem, can we switch your seat up a few rows? I can offer a seat change.

Passenger 3: well, OK, I guess.

Passenger 4: I can't do that, I have to eat nuts. And I will not change seats.

FA turns to AP: we cannot do the buffer zone. I will go talk to the pilot.

FA returns after discussing with the pilot and says one of two things:

A. Are you comfortable flying without the buffer zone? (At this point, my family would have to leave the flight, since DS has had anaphylaxis under those circumstances).

Or the FA comes back and says:

B. The pilot is uncomfortable with the risk, and we ask that you deboard.

My point here is that a food allergic individual never has the option of ordering anyone to eat, not eat, what to eat, change seats, anything. We fly at the whim of the airlines. Or not.

On a personal note, we only fly for emergencies. We are overwhelmed with gratitude for the people who make accommodations. And, as I said in a PP, we offer to share the food we have, and we have tons of it.

I sympathize with you, and I would certainly cooperate if you were sitting near me. You've also made me think about what food I take on a plane. I do believe I went to Europe and back the last time with no nuts. It must be incredibly scary and frustrating. I don't know what else the airlines can do though that wouldn't be cost prohibitive and put them at risk of liability if they let you fly and something happens. Liability is why they don't let other people fly. (All I can think of right now is very pregnant women, but I imagine there are other reasons).

• Like 4

Ok, so what would you bring that could sit around for about 20 hours and not be all carbs?

I really tried to think of stuff, but there isn't much in that department. I did end up buying stuff with nuts. Stuff like trail mix and protein bars. It crossed my mind, but again, I could not figure anything else out.

Shelf stable bacon! Fresh carrots, unpeeled oranges, broccoli, cauliflower, lunch meat, cabbage salad with dressing in a seperate container(lettuce will not last as long). The list goes on an on.

• Like 4

We have to be very cautious taking DS anywhere. He has a life-threatening allergy to dogs and cats. That is really difficult to navigate. People insist that their pet is friendly and should be allowed to get close, but a friendly pet that might lick DS is more dangerous than a barking one that keeps its distance. Sometimes, Ds has a reaction to a room or building and we have to leave without even knowing the cause. 

For the most part, if I don't feel secure at a location without having to ask strangers to change their behavior then we avoid the location. I don't have the emotional tolerance for the negative responses. 

• Like 2

Shelf stable bacon! Fresh carrots, unpeeled oranges, broccoli, cauliflower, lunch meat, cabbage salad with dressing in a seperate container(lettuce will not last as long). The list goes on an on.

With the exception of bacon and lunch meat (which I wouldn't feel safe consuming after 20 hours) those are all carbs.

Maybe with Spryte's explanation, people can understand why allergic families, that rely on a shot that lasts all of 15 minutes to keep them alive, get a little pissy at the thought that allergies can't possibly be as disabling as mental illness.

I think it's nuts (pardon the pun) to think either is more or less difficult than the other.

If we knew ahead of time that someone sitting next to us had a problem, we'd probably adjust our packing or seating without complaint, presuming we felt we could do that.

I think it's a problem that the airlines have no way of asking this prior to the flight take off bc once packed and ready to board, people have to make due or not fly for whatever reason.

It doesn't matter what the problem is. Allergies, diabetes, mental ... It all sucks and they are all just trying to get through their days.

Yeah...except the rest don't get kicked off the plane.

Yes they do. People who can't get a grip and fly without freaking out get kicked off. And my dh has had to switch flights bc TSA idiots are always freaking out about all his insulin stuff. It's always either they don't care at all no big deal or OMG this guy has a liquid carrying device rigged into him! It should not ever be an issue, but it sometimes is.

People with allergens are not th only people who get denied flights.

Oh whatever. No one is wanting your child to die.

The point was that people pack the food that they think they need. They aren't trying to kill anyone and can't anticipate all the possible needs of other people. They are doing the same thing as you - just trying to deal with life as they manage whatever their needs are. Be it needing to eat or to not eat dairy, gluten, nuts or what all else. People with food allergens don't have a monopoly on difficulties trying to meet their dietary needs. People with nut allergens don't take priority over those with other allergens. Allergens don't take priority over other medical conditions. It all sucks and everyone is just trying to make it another day.

Wow. 

I absolutely completely disagree with you about nut allergies. The majority of deaths from allergy reaction is nut/peanut. I can't eat gluten due to celiac however, a person with a nut allergy most certainly has priority over my medical condition. A person with a nut allergy can sit next to me and eat all the gluten they want, and I won't say a thing. I will just be careful to wash my hands before I eat. However, that same person should tell me (and I believe has the right)  for me to not eat nuts. I will happily comply. Even if that person threw gluten crumbs all over me. Why? Cause the nut allergy trumps my medical condition especially in the short run. Now, that doesn't mean I will eat gluten to avoid eating something with nuts. It means I will not eat. A diabetic who has to eat or take insulin in order to stay alive also trumps my medical condition, and can and should eat all the gluten they need/want to while next to me.

There really are some medical conditions that trump others.   

• Like 7

Yes there are. But to go around acting like everyone who eats a peanut is some awful ahole is not.

Everyone flying is flying for a reason and trying to meet their own needs while doing so. The nut allergen person is. The gluten allergen person is. Heck, I had someone post on FB just today that their child was in the ER bc of her life threatening banana allergen. The diabetics are. The pregnant folks are. Everyone is just trying to get through their flight.

The problem is not that anyone wants to wantonly risk the death of another person.

The problem is that the airlines don't have a way of handling this PRIOR to boarding. That's dumb. People can't change what they packed or are eating at that point. I'd hazzard a small hope for humanity that if they knew in advance of packing and boarding - they wouldn't have an issue with adjusting seats or diet plans.

Edited by Murphy101

Which just yuck.  Most of that not my thing.  Maybe the sunflower seeds.  And I had no time to prep veg.  I mean when?  We had to be out of there at 6 in the morning.  I really needed easy stuff that didn't require prep. 

Oh come on, Sparkly. Are you really trying to say that your food preferences are really more important or even as important as helping a person who could *die* if they are exposed to nuts? 

No, you can never cover all allergens. However, nuts/peanuts is a BIG nasty one for a lot of people. That's the one I pay attention to when packing food. 

Your reasons are not reasons; they are excuses for not inconveniencing yourself. Nut free protein options are not your thing? Really? Please just think about that for a minute. Do you truly feel that your food tastes and ease of packing is more important than a person's life threatening medical condition? Cause that is exactly what you have been saying. 

• Like 9

The problem is that the airlines don't have a way of handling this PRIOR to boarding. That's dumb. People can't change what they packed or are eating at that point. I'd hazzard a small hope for humanity that if they knew in advance of packing and boarding - they wouldn't have an issue with adjusting seats or diet plans.

This I very much agree with. The needs to be a better way. 

To be fair - I think any allergy that is anaphylactic should be mentioned to fellow passengers so they can not eat it or move somewhere else. I can't imagine anyone sitting next to someone and knowingly putting them in harms way. We should all be free to request someone not eat something for the safety of others.

My son is allergic to a whole bunch of things but only peanut is anaphylactic so that is the only one I worry about when out and about, especially on an airplane. I think any traveler should be concerned about something that could send a fellow passenger into anaphylaxis - it will be more of an inconvenience to them to have to make an emergency landing than not eating the offending product, be it peanut, treenut, orange, cinnamon, or whatever else the serious allergy is.

I would have no problem with avoiding any specific thing if it would save someone else's life - Peanut is most commonly heard about because it is very commonly anaphylactic and can be airborne. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to travel across the country to visit family, it just means we have to be extra cautious when we do so.

We know someone who has an airborne allergy to corn - they should be able to fly safely and ask that corn products not be eaten near them just like I can hope that no one near my son eats peanut. But they can eat soy (another big allergen for him) as it is not airborne or a contact allergy to him so I would never dream of asking them not to as there would be no point to it.

Maybe with Spryte's explanation, people can understand why allergic families, that rely on a shot that lasts all of 15 minutes to keep them alive, get a little pissy at the thought that allergies can't possibly be as disabling as mental illness.

Word. And my allergies are topical and airborne too but not nuts. Closed spaces with food make me very nervous and are tough to accomodate properly. The thought of having my multiple autoinjectors not be enough to cover a reaction because it is persisting in the air for a flight and we cannot land is terrifying. I hope I never have that issue, because nobody is going to think to accomodate my allergies, even though they're not particularly uncommon.

I figure the airlines do the best they can, I do the best I can to be careful, and yes, I might have to miss a flight and be rescheduled if things get hairy with allergens.

If I were in charge, I would have a place to list anaphylactic level allergies when you buy your tickets, and all passengers would then get a text message/email then, a pop-up when you go in to print/load boarding passes (and if you buy tickets after that point, notification when you purchase a ticket) that there is someone on this flight with a severe airborne allergy to X, please refrain from eating or having unsealed packages containing X while on the plane.

You would also check in that you're flying with a service animal, ESA, or in-cabin pet, and people would be notified of that as well, and if someone stated they had an allergy to animal dander, they would be notified when someone had checked such box and asked if they would prefer to be seated with a buffer zone, or if they would need to be rebooked.

Prior notice on both sides would help so much. If I know there are people on a plane later that day with severe nut and citrus allergies, I'll have my DD do cheese toast instead of peanut butter toast for breakfast, and make sure she grabs an apple, not a clementine, to take with her. If someone knows there's someone on a plane with a cinnamon allergy, maybe they'll pick up a regular latte and a scone instead of a pumpkin spice latte and a cinnamon roll at the in-airport Starbucks.

And if I'm flying with my cat because we need to move cross country, and by changing to a different flight 2 hours later I can avoid being on the plane with someone who is allergic to cat dander, it's not a big problem when we're first scheduling the flights. I would also imagine it would be easier to stock the plane in advance with pretzels instead of the snack mix containing nuts than to change that last minute at the gate.

By having notification and any changes happening at the airport during boarding, it just sets people up for bad feelings and resentment and uncomfortable conversations.

This wouldn't be an easy change, because airline reservations aren't just made through airlines, but through third party sites as well, but it is a very do-able change. It wouldn't remove all risk, because it's still up to individual humans to implement it. But it might just reduce it.

• Like 3

With the exception of bacon and lunch meat (which I wouldn't feel safe consuming after 20 hours) those are all carbs.

You would not be OK with already cooked meat after 20 hours?

I take it on all trips and it is fine, for days. I freeze it first and it is fine.

As for not being low carb. At least she will not die from eating the veggies.

Eta: I looked up low carb veggies just for kicks. The ones I listed are fine.

Edited by Χά�ων
  • Like 2

We deal with issues here, but not life-threatening food allergies, thank goodness. I just wanted to offer sympathy to those of you who do and let you know that the conversations like this thread are very helpful. I know previous threads have raised my awareness tremendously. I was much more conscious about what I packed for a recent flight and what we take along in group situations. I can't anticipate everything, of course, but I believe that MOST people--when given information in a helpful way--will do their best. That doesn't mean they'll be perfect. But the more advance notice, the better--for food allergens, pet danders, and the like. Considering the cost of flights, there should be a better way of dealing with these issues in advance of getting on board.

• Like 1

n/m

No real reason I need to even respond to this.

Since your post appeared after mine, I'm wondering if you were responding to what I wrote. If so, please know that I was not directing anything toward you or any other poster (other than the ones to whom I was extending sympathy because the worry they're dealing with stinks.

Flying with food allergies totally sucks. 

We flew with DS when he was 13 months, I held him on my lap, and when the flight attendant came around and offered us nuts, both DH and I told him "no thank you, the baby is allergic."  There was an older gentleman on the aisle seat, (I had the baby by the window) who then declined nuts, looked at us and said he wouldn't want to do anything to put the baby in danger.  We told him it would be ok, we were comfortable with the buffer, and it was a short flight.  He insisted and the flight attendant brought us all pretzels, unprovoked by us. :001_wub: 

I get that people don't want to change their eating habits, but that interaction has sustained me through almost a decade of dealing with less than supportive people (some in my own family!) regarding DS's food allergies. It means the world to those of us dealing with LTFA's when other people respect the severity and give up some of their comfort for the health of our kids.

We fly more now because we are guaranteed to take up at least a row. :lol:

• Like 1

Since your post appeared after mine, I'm wondering if you were responding to what I wrote. If so, please know that I was not directing anything toward you or any other poster (other than the ones to whom I was extending sympathy because the worry they're dealing with stinks.

No, I meant more in general (and originally responded to someone else).

DH was telling me about his flight home. How at the start of the flight they made an announcement that peanuts were not going to be an option for the in flight snack because someone was severely allergic.

And then twenty minutes before the plane landed the flight attendants handed out chocolate covered macadamia nut cluster.

not sure if macadamia nuts are in the same family as peanut but sounds like someone forgot.

DH was telling me about his flight home. How at the start of the flight they made an announcement that peanuts were not going to be an option for the in flight snack because someone was severely allergic.

And then twenty minutes before the plane landed the flight attendants handed out chocolate covered macadamia nut cluster.

not sure if macadamia nuts are in the same family as peanut but sounds like someone forgot.

Peanuts and macadamia nuts are not in the same category.  Peanuts are a legume.  Macadamia nuts are a Tree Nut.  A person can be allergic to one or the other or both.  If the passenger had been allergic to Tree Nuts as well, then it would have been a problem, but not if they were only allergic to Peanuts.

Tree Nuts include all nuts that grow on trees - so almonds, walnuts, macadamias, cashews, pretty much all the nuts.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1