Menu

Experienced Canners- I have a mystery

saraha

I have been canning tomatoes for 10 years.  I always do it the same way.  I puree the tomatoes, skin and all in blender, cold pack the jars, then put in warm water bath canner.  I don't start counting the 45 minutes until the canner with jars inside starts boiling.  I have never, not in 10 years had a problem.  Until this year.  Yesterday, I had two jars blow their lid and ring off in the water bath canner.  Today, I have had three.  I am so aggravated, it is so much work to pick, clean and can them, only to have them go to waste in the canner, not to mention the mess and potential danger everytime one explodes.  The first time it happened, it blew the lid of the canner clean off and covered the ceiling and walls with hot tomato, luckily no one was any where near. 

A couple of things I have tried:

Make sure the bands are not on too tight - did that today, and when they blew, there wasn't as much force to them, didn't blow the canner lid off

Made sure they were not over full

I am at a total loss.  The only thing I have done differently this year than previous years is I am trying to can a new variety of tomato- The san Marzano.  That is the only variable that has been different.

Ideas, suggestions?  I am ready to pull my hair out!  I have 100 more pounds of tomatoes to can today, and more coming on everyday.

Thanks!

The only thing I can come up with is that your tomatoes are maybe expanding with the heat??

Just for comparison, this is the method we've used:
I put the tomatoes cold (peeled and diced) into hot, sterilized quart jars (225 for 10 minutes), sprinkle with 1 tsp. coarse salt and 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice, then top up with boiling water before sealing and processing. But if your system has worked for 10 years, that is a mystery!

Edited by KathyBC

Because yours are pureed, maybe it's more like tomato sauce? I took a peek in one of my preserving books and it says hot pack can be 1/4 inch head space but cold pack needs to be 1 inch head space. Maybe that helps???

Edited by KathyBC

Thanks.  I am trying to make sure there is plenty of headspace, I have honestly changed nothing about the process, so it must be the tomatoes some how.  They must be expanding more than the romas that I usually can.  Would leaving more head room make any difference do you think?  Right now I have 2 canners on the stove with some jars with blown lids and some with intact lids that I am afraid to touch.  I guess I will wait a few hours until they are completely cool to remove the jars.

Do you think this might have something to do with it? http://www.livinghomegrown.com/changes-in-canning-lid-procedures/

I don't think so, I haven't boiled the lids, just sitting in hot tap water.  Thanks though, I had not heard about this change, but I looked on my box of kids and sure enough, it does say to just wash and set aside until ready to use.  No heating necessary.

I would try all brand new rings/lids. If the rings are sound, they shouldn't be able to blow off. So, I'd be assuming your rings are just worn/defective.

I suggest running out and buying a new batch of rings (and sealing lids). If you have two brands to choose from, then I'd buy one of each. :) Similarly, if you are already using new rings, then I'd buy a different brand or go to a different store (to hopefully get a different lot). 

So update...

I filled new jars with new lids and new bands.  I left way more headspace this time.  Canned like usual, timer goes off and as I approached the canner thinking "Yeah! No explosions!"  One jar blew its lid and hot tomato at me.  Luckily I was just putting a towel across the front of me because I am now scared of this ridiculous canning and the tomato didn't hit me, it hit the towel I was holding in front of me.  I give up.  I am not canning any more tomatoes until I figure out what the heck I am doing wrong.  It is so weird, in all my time of canning nothing like this has ever happened. 

Thanks for all of the advice though!

• Like 1

The only time I pureed tomatoes at all, we had lots of tomato leaking out the jars because the puree process adds a lot of air (that is forced out with heat) into the tomatoes. I can absolutely believe that a different kind of tomato could have a different ratio of water to actual tomato substance could add more air. Or, having a new/different blender could do the same thing.

I would assume *something* has changed to introduce more air into the final product. Consider hot packing the tomato puree.

I also happen to have a lot more jar breakage when I process things hot water bath vs. pressure canner. I have no idea why, but I rarely have a jar break in our pressure cannner. I always lose a jar or two (either in one batch or over several) when I do the hot water bath. So now, we basically pressure can even our fruits and tomatoes. It's just so much easier. 

I don't think so, I haven't boiled the lids, just sitting in hot tap water.  Thanks though, I had not heard about this change, but I looked on my box of kids and sure enough, it does say to just wash and set aside until ready to use.  No heating necessary.

I would check the kids first. Then try hot packing them. I always hot pack tomatoes then water bath.

This is cracking me up. Yes, K is by the L on the keyboard, but I like to think autocorrect is sabotaging you.

• Like 7

Process of elimination at work. Next I'd try hot pack - the book I have says heat in large pot on medium until starting to boil, then pour into hot sterilized jars.

ETA: It would be interesting to see how many jars a batch fills cold versus hot to see if that's it.

Edited by KathyBC
  • Like 1

I wonder if your sauce is thicker this year. I know that I blow lids every time I try apple sauce and when my lids are too tight the jars break. When sauce is too thick it expands during boiling rather then just boiling like water does. I would try thinning it out a little before trying again. Here's a page describing the problem: https://puttingupwiththeturnbulls.com/2010/10/13/canning-101-siphoning/ . Does that seem possible?

I've made applesauce that was very thick. While I was trying to get it ready to pack in jars to process, it was exploding all over the backsplash, the range hood, and me if I wasn't careful. I was given a different variety of apples this year, followed the same recipe and had a lovely time of things. It didn't seem quite as thick and there were no issues while cooking. So I suspect different varieties of produce could have more water content and it probably makes quite a difference.

I would check the kids first. Then try hot packing them. I always hot pack tomatoes then water bath.

I'm pretty sure kids should be pressure canned :P :D

Seriously, though, I wonder if you got a bad batch of lids (my autocorrect changed this to kids too, LOL. I'm sure your batch of kids is just fine ;)).

ETA: Never mind, I see now you got new ones. Lids, not kids, haha.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 2

I have nothing to add, beyond calling your local cooperative extension.  But I wanted to say that I am so sorry this is happening.  Canning is so much work, I can't imagine doing all that you have done only to have it do that.  I am really sorry. And I'm even more sorry when I think about your ceiling!  And I am so, so glad you didn't get burned.  

Thanks you guys for all of the suggestions.  After that second round of exploding lids, I was starting to get a little hysterical, waiting an hour while you sit there hoping things don't explode is kind of nerve wracking!

Is it cooler in your house than other years? Do they need to cool more gradually?

Nope, not any cooler than usual, the problem seems to be that they are building up too much pressure during canning

The only time I pureed tomatoes at all, we had lots of tomato leaking out the jars because the puree process adds a lot of air (that is forced out with heat) into the tomatoes. I can absolutely believe that a different kind of tomato could have a different ratio of water to actual tomato substance could add more air. Or, having a new/different blender could do the same thing.

I would assume *something* has changed to introduce more air into the final product. Consider hot packing the tomato puree.

I also happen to have a lot more jar breakage when I process things hot water bath vs. pressure canner. I have no idea why, but I rarely have a jar break in our pressure cannner. I always lose a jar or two (either in one batch or over several) when I do the hot water bath. So now, we basically pressure can even our fruits and tomatoes. It's just so much easier. 

The only variable that is different is the type of tomatoes.  Same house, same weather, same canner, same blender- just different variety of tomatoes.

Two ideas 

Low acid tomatoes may require a different handling than their higher acid counterparts.

Did you change altitude?

Nope, same altitude

Process of elimination at work. Next I'd try hot pack - the book I have says heat in large pot on medium until starting to boil, then pour into hot sterilized jars.

ETA: It would be interesting to see how many jars a batch fills cold versus hot to see if that's it.

I think that is the next step, if I can bring myself to try it.  I still have 100 lbs to process today and more coming on.

I wonder if your sauce is thicker this year. I know that I blow lids every time I try apple sauce and when my lids are too tight the jars break. When sauce is too thick it expands during boiling rather then just boiling like water does. I would try thinning it out a little before trying again. Here's a page describing the problem: https://puttingupwiththeturnbulls.com/2010/10/13/canning-101-siphoning/ . Does that seem possible?

Looking into this

Sounds like you should freeze the rest of it for this year, honestly. 

I know right? I am really not looking forward to trying, I just do not have room in the freezer for the hundreds of pounds of tomatoes that I need to process.  I did freeze the puree I didn't can yesterday.

So I have had a success!  :hurray: This time I boiled the puree and added it hot to the jars along with leaving more headroom (I filled them just under the bottom of the mouth) and only did four jars and none exploded!  I am going to try another batch, this time with a full canner.  My dh thinks I am crazy to keep, but I just can't let 100 lbs of tomatoes go to waste.  When I get done with this, I am going to have to tear this kitchen apart so that I can get the tomato out of every stinking crevice :glare:

I am cautiously optimistic that this is the answer.  Will have to test another batch.

Thanks for everyone's advice!!!

• Like 7

So I have had a success! :hurray: This time I boiled the puree and added it hot to the jars along with leaving more headroom (I filled them just under the bottom of the mouth) and only did four jars and none exploded! I am going to try another batch, this time with a full canner. My dh thinks I am crazy to keep, but I just can't let 100 lbs of tomatoes go to waste. When I get done with this, I am going to have to tear this kitchen apart so that I can get the tomato out of every stinking crevice :glare:

I am cautiously optimistic that this is the answer. Will have to test another batch.

Thanks for everyone's advice!!!

I am now adding another reason I love my outdoor canning station. No cleaning ceilings!

• Like 1

Canner number two is running, so far so good.  I am sitting here on pins and needles waiting for the next explosion.  I have figured out that if the bands are just barely on, the explosion is limited to making a mess on the stove top, the hood and the counters around it.  It hasn't hit the ceiling since the first day.

I hope you figured out the problem, but just in case.....you can freeze tomato intended for sauce.  If you have a large freezer, you can freeze them until you are ready for them or even just store them for a bit until you can can them as you usually do.