Menu

Kid shoved paper scraps in seat belt buckle, now it won't click

Kathryn

So, it seems to latch but it doesn't make the clicking noise now. I got out everything that was visible, but according to him there were more pieces. They must have fallen down further in where they're not visible. If I put the male end in, it seems to latch. I pull hard and it stays. But, it doesn't make the clicking sound now. Is this a problem?

• Like 1

Don't do a toothpick! The end's going to break off. I'd try something similarly thin and metal like a metal kebab skewer or something. I'm thinking a paperclip isn't going to be strong enough to not bend when you're trying to scrape.

Ugh... what an annoyance. When I was a kid, none of them latched in our van because my brother had stuck pennies in all of them and my mother couldn't get them out no matter what she tried. He was destructive like that. Thank goodness he's finally grown out of it!

• Like 1

The buckle is encased in plastic. Wouldn't the plastic warp if I used a flame? Sticking stuff in there like toothpicks won't work. Whatever is still in there has fallen below the mechanism where I won't be able to reach it. I got two pieces out. He said he put in three pieces and "a grain of sand."

I'm so angry. We have a 3,000 mile trip coming up in less than two weeks and we will be taking my mom with us, so need all the seats.

Use a household vacuum if you can. Our handheld car vacuum got the sand out but it takes a higher powered vacuum to get all the stuff including jelly bellies out of all the nooks including buckles.

ETA:

Hubby had to use the handheld vacuum on road trips when kids were younger. Gerber puffs and other toddler food gets into all kinds of gaps.

ETA:

Our household vacuum has a few nozzles that are great for tight areas. We like going to the beach so sand in the car is common for us.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

The vacuum might be a good idea.  I would make a sleeve out of a plastic bag to go around the buckle and the vacuum hose to concentrate the suction to the area where you want it.  If you still can't get it to latch, I would get it serviced.  Safety is nothing to mess with and there is no way you yanking on it can simulate the forces of a crash.  But call soon and make sure they know you need it by a certain date.  That way they can make sure they have the part on hand.   We had a seatbelt that wasn't retracting properly and had to get it replaced before a long family trip.  They ordered the wrong part and we had to call every dealership in the area to make get the right one in the right color.  

I would try a vacuum. If your regular vacuum has an attachment you can try that or a shop vac.  If you don't have one, then a car wash will, but the nozzles are usually really big there. I would take a metal skewer, a pair of tweezers and can of compressed air with me in case the vacuum dislodges something, but not where it will come out on its own.

If you need a make shift way to make a nozzle for a vacuum, an empty paper towel roll works great with some tape.

• Like 1

Maybe you would need two metal skewers?

Use one to press on the inside of the female portion (to recreate what happens when buckling & the interior of the belt gets pressed in/down). Then, use a second one to fish out the paper that may be stuck. You may want someone else on hand to help &/or hold a bright flashlight to see what you're doing.

ETA: And if anything you try does actually work, I'd take those "tools" along on your trip too, just in case it happens again.

Edited by Stacia

Maybe you would need two metal skewers?

Use one to press on the inside of the female portion (to recreate what happens when buckling & the interior of the belt gets pressed in/down). Then, use a second one to fish out the paper that may be stuck. You may want someone else on hand to help &/or hold a bright flashlight to see what you're doing.

ETA: And if anything you try does actually work, I'd take those "tools" along on your trip too, just in case it happens again.

This did it! The last piece was wedged down where I couldn't get it except when the "buckling" was happening. It clicks now and he swears there were no more. Thank you!!!!

• Like 9