Menu

Share a salmon recipe where the salmon doesn't really taste, well, like salmon.

StaceyinLA

:)

I know that's asking a lot. I want to eat salmon. I don't much like salmon. I have some slabs of salmon I need to cook.

Share a favorite recipe that maybe has something to tone down the taste of the salmon. Bonus points for quick and easy.

:)

I know that's asking a lot. I want to eat salmon. I don't much like salmon. I have some slabs of salmon I need to cook.

Share a favorite recipe that maybe has something to tone down the taste of the salmon. Bonus points for quick and easy.

if you're complaining about salmon tasting like salmon . . . you need to get better quality salmon. (my personal preference is copper river sockeye and will eat at all opportunities. sadly, it's past season.) 

under NO circumstances should you consider *farmed* salmon - salmon.  blech and gag.

we have a saying in our family.  friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon.

there's a hierarchy for salmon.

sockeye/red -fresh?  where do I sign up?

king/chinook

are pretty much the only kinds I'll eat. 

silver/coho - meh

after that, it's iffy.

atlantic farmed salmon - you can't pay me to eat it.

dh bbq's salmon over low heat with nothing but lemon butter.  :drool5:

• Like 4

Salmon is pretty distinctive. I think people buy it because they like salmon. I like yogurt-dill sauce on mine. I don't care for teriyaki salmon because I think the teriyaki sauce competes too much with the fish, so maybe you could go the teriyaki-garlic-ginger route and be happy?

• Like 1

We brush it with olive oil, then sprinkle liberally with Northwoods Seasoning from Penzey's Spices and then grill 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Personally I would prefer Northwoods Fire, but the kids don't like spicy.

An oven recipe we like is ¼ c. Brown sugar, ¼ c. Maple syrup, 3 T. soy sauce, 1 T. Dijon mustard, ¼ t. Pepper Poured over salmon fillets in a sprayed 13X9. Cover with foil and bake at 425° for 11 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with roasted, sliced almonds, bake for 9 more minutes.

Freezing does negatively affect taste and texture of salmon, though.

• Like 1

Haha - well if I don't find a recipe I love, I will be saving it for all of you!

I'm about to put the maple one in the oven, but am really excited to try some of the other recipes y'all have shared. Next time I buy some, I'll plan to cook it that evening.

I didn't read all the posts, so maybe someone else mentioned this, but my mom makes salmon by laying the fillets in a greased pan and covering them with melted butter and brown sugar and baking it a few minutes. It is super delicious, but probably not healthy, lol.

I like to marinade it in maple syrup, apple juice, a bit of apple cider vinegar, and some honey mustard. Let it marinate for a few hours, then bake. The sweetness of those flavors goes well with salmon, and the mustard tends to cover the salmon taste a bit. 

I've also had it cooked with bacon slices laid over it. yum. 

• Like 1

Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with McCormick's Cajun Seasoning, grill.

I also like an ice-cream scoop of butter and dillweed, baked. :)

I do not love Salmon or any fish very much, but I like it these two ways; these ways turned me into a fairly frequent salmon eater.

• Like 1

if you're complaining about salmon tasting like salmon . . . you need to get better quality salmon. (my personal preference is copper river sockeye and will eat at all opportunities. sadly, it's past season.) 

under NO circumstances should you consider *farmed* salmon - salmon.  blech and gag.

we have a saying in our family.  friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon.

there's a hierarchy for salmon.

sockeye/red -fresh?  where do I sign up?

king/chinook

are pretty much the only kinds I'll eat. 

silver/coho - meh

after that, it's iffy.

atlantic farmed salmon - you can't pay me to eat it.

dh bbq's salmon over low heat with nothing but lemon butter.  :drool5:

My vote goes to Yakutat River sockeye.

:drool5: :drool5:  :drool5: 

Also reefnet caught pink or chum, yeah, those are pretty good.

• Like 1

The maple one was a hit! I really enjoyed it! I'm definitely going to try some of these other recipes. It's something I'd like to include in our diets at least a couple times/month, if not weekly.

I'm definitely going to try a more savory one next, as I don't want to have to drown it in something sweet every time I eat it, but it was really yummy and super easy - will definitely stay in my regular lineup.

• Like 2

A friend of mine brushes it with apricot jam. That's it. They love it. I think it's okay, but that's because it covers up the salmon taste, so that might be perfect for you.[

I do this, more or less. Cut salmon into serving sized pieces. If your knife is not sharp enough to go through skin, use scissors for skin. Put salmon pieces in a shallow sided baking dish. Put a tiny bit of oil in dish and turn salmon pieces to coat. Sprinkle salmon with a little kosher salt, optional.

Mix about 3 parts apricot preserves to 1 part honey mustard. Use your hands to spread mixture on top of salmon. Bake at 350'degrees for 16 minutes or so, depending on thickness of salmon. Also works at 375 degrees if you are rushed.

Edited by Alessandra

You might try poaching some and serving it cold as part of a salad.

Poaching gives the salmon a more mild taste than broiling or grilling.

Bill

Not poaching, but similar taste. Oil salmon and wrap tightly in foil. Bake 40 minutes at 350. Serve cold with dill mayonnaise.