Menu

Erasable Pens

I could have sworn I posted this question a few days ago, but after getting no response, I checked my posts and don't see it at all! I may not have hit send. :lol:

Anyway... We've been using Frixion erasable pens for a few months now and LOVE using them. The kids use them for handwriting, math, everything. The downside? They seem to run out of ink waaaaaay quicker than they should. I mean, after a few months, about 12 pens need new ink. That's 12 pens in a rotation between 3 kids for a few months. Surely a pen should last longer than that? And the refills seem pretty pricey. I can go to Sam's and get another 6 pack of pens for cheaper than I'm seeing refills on Amazon.

Is there a better alternative? Or is there a cheaper place to get refills for these pens?

Lol. I think I read your post before.

I haven't noticed them running out fast but I am the only one using multiple colors.

I love them. Until I set my hot tea on my notebook.... The freezer brings it back almost to what it was.

I think I will have to give up on them eventually even though I do love them.

Yep. We had the same issue.  DD loved the pens.  But, the packages we bought(like 10 pens) lasted only until Christmas break.  She writes a lot.  But, that is a crazy amt of money for so few months.  I think I will get a pack this year for her and that is it.  When they're gone, they're gone.  I give each kid a gift bag with school supplies, icecream certificates, fun socks, etc for our first day.  She'll have some in her bag.

Edited by rjand6more

Yep. We had the same issue.  DD loved the pens.  But, the packages we bought(like 10 pens) lasted only until Christmas break.  She writes a lot.  But, that is a crazy amt of money for so few months.  I think I will get a pack this year for her and that is it.  When they're gone, they're gone.  I give each kid a gift bag with school supplies, icecream certificates, fun socks, etc for our first day.  She'll have some in her bag.

You can get refills for them if that helps :-). I just bought some from Amazon.

• Like 1

I thought it would help with writing fatigue and IT DID!

But then I had to limit them to use just for writing and LA, NOT MATH TOO AND FREE DRAWING!! lol

Suddenly they were the writing object of obsession here. (Who stole my purple pen?) We love them.

We didn't get ours til Feb, they are still going but I'll be honest I try to encourage rotation with using them.

I'll have to look into refills too. I am hoarding an unopened pack!

I'm putting them on the list for gifts for them from  the family.

And looking into larger packs too I just bought 2 packs of 3 at Walmart. Sure there may be better deals out there for Frixion.

Say what? I'm not sure what the description even means! I think there's a language barrier--Amazon says:

• The slimmest FriXion! It's possible to put much those in a pen case.
  • The color of the ink turns colorless by the frictional heat which forms by gambling away at body rubber for rear erasure.
  • The knob knock system
  • Like 3

wow look at all these colors!

Haven't seen this set before. . . .

Maybe it's too thin a pen.  . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Retractable-Erasable-Komainu-Dou-Original/dp/B00R6L6ASC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1467737440&sr=8-8&keywords=frixion+erasable+pens

These are super fine.  I have a few, but hadn't noticed all the colors.  :drool:  Guess I need to look the next time I head to the store. 

As to the original question, I must not write enough with mine. I've had my set for a couple years and they're all still great. We can buy them individually here and I think just the refill too. But I don't think I'll use other pens again.  Ahhh, my favorite!

There are 3 of us going through them like crazy. 

What does help is to have refills/pens in the "Save for Later" section of your cart at Amazon, then you can easily check for when the price goes down. I just enter quite a variety of companies and sets to increase my chances of catching a good price  :laugh:

When there is a good price, you need to stockpile. I currently have a 12 box of black, a 12 box of purple, and black/blue/red refills at the ready. 

But if I run out, I will pay the price. Because we are addicted. 

Do these pens actually erase throughly? My son always wants to write in pen but I want him to be able to erase.

They erase very thoroughly.

You will get the best results if you wait a few seconds before erasing. If you erase too forcefully, or in the same spot again and again, you will kind of mess up the paper in that spot, but still readable. 

• Like 1

Oh, and they have erasable felt tips as well, I personally don't like them for taking notes but they are great for writing in my planner. My planner sees frequent revisions and these erase even easier than the pens. 

• Like 1

Do these pens actually erase throughly? My son always wants to write in pen but I want him to be able to erase.

Yes. Sometimes even when you do NOT want the words erased. (like when you set your hot coffee on the page, like referred to above. Or you leave your notebook with notes in the car in the summer...)

• Like 3

Yes. Sometimes even when you do NOT want the words erased. (like when you set your hot coffee on the page, like referred to above. Or you leave your notebook with notes in the car in the summer...)

But if that happens, put your paper in the freezer for 30min and all the writing reappears! It's sorcery!

• Like 1

But if that happens, put your paper in the freezer for 30min and all the writing reappears! It's sorcery!

1. It doesn't look the same. It's faint.

2. You don't always have time to wait for the writing to reappear before you need the notes you wrote on the page.

1. It doesn't look the same. It's faint.

2. You don't always have time to wait for the writing to reappear before you need the notes you wrote on the page.

I made a Marauders Map for DD with my Frixion pens and we heated and froze that paper a dozen times and I never noticed much of a change in the appearance. I also don't EVER use them for checks, signatures on docs, envelopes, etc.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, anything you've erased can also come back in the freezer.  I erase a lot.  The recovered image was bizarre, and not really readable.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, anything you've erased can also come back in the freezer. I erase a lot. The recovered image was bizarre, and not really readable.

Well I mostly use them in quilting, and the kids use them for copy work. If I need a pen I'm using my Coleto or my G2 gel pens. Just my preference.

But if you are a 10yr old being made to write cursive (oh the horrors) a Frixion pen eases the pain....

• Like 2

Oh, and they have erasable felt tips as well, I personally don't like them for taking notes but they are great for writing in my planner. My planner sees frequent revisions and these erase even easier than the pens.

Hold the phone. Erasable felt tips?!?! *knocks over children running to the car*

My kids are obsessed with the multicolor Frixions. I grab a few packs when I notice they're on sale on Amazon. The price is high for how long they last, but they like using them and whine less...

• Like 2

I have the markers too and I love them - they are especially great for correcting my son's work. He puts in a request every morning for which color he wants me to use for correcting his work. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Frixion-Colors-Erasable-Marker/dp/B00F9MYPCS

ETA: Maybe this is what PP meant by felt tip pens? If so, they are great!

Edited by mathnerd

I read this thread and had to laugh because I never thought of writing with my frixion pen. I bought it for marking quilts. I believe your mistakes will stop coming back after a couple of heat (iron for me ;) ) and cold applications. I just buy them from Amazon.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...