Menu

And now for the latest episode of "Trying to improve our situation"

pinkmint

Plumbing and electrical have apprenticeship options. Those can be lucrative!

Our friend got an electrical apprenticeship. He was in the coast guard for 12 years and wasn't sure what to do next. He had a few minimum wage jobs, no degree. He was able to get an apprenticeship in the local electricians union. He immediately started making a decent wage (can't remember what it was exactly - maybe $20/hr) and on the job training. He got his journeyman's license and then his masters electrician license and as part of the union, he can go work in any state he wants. He also works for himself on the side and makes great money. It's been really nice to see him find success. 

• Like 4

AM, I'm looking at this site and it shows that every option is $199/ month. Is there a $25 that I'm not seeing? It does seem like a good program.

The basic plan is here he would want to start, as he can upgrade later if need be. That's the $25 per month one. He can take advantage of the courses and amazing forum but no with such a massive capital outlay I know would be a struggle for your family to foot. And if the skills aren't something he enjoys he is out much less money in exploring it.

They do offer actual tech degree options as well, which are more expensive but some jobs need the sheet of paper. It's still not nearly as much as what you were originally pricing out though :)

ETA - here is a treehouse review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2484773,00.asp

Edited by Arctic Mama

The basic plan is here he would want to start, as he can upgrade later if need be. That's the $25 per month one. He can take advantage of the courses and amazing forum but no with such a massive capital outlay I know would be a struggle for your family to foot. And if the skills aren't something he enjoys he is out much less money in exploring it.

They do offer actual tech degree options as well, which are more expensive but some jobs need the sheet of paper. It's still not nearly as much as what you were originally pricing out though :)

ETA - here is a treehouse review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2484773,00.asp

Ok thank you! I didn't see the $25 option but now I see it. I plan to talk to DH about that. Edited by pinkmint

Does your community college have online classes, so he could get an actual degree, even if only a few classes at a time? I know you already have loans, but he should qualify for grants it sounds like. Even getting a certificate in something, from the community college, might be a good thing. Ours also has internship programs as well, in things like welding, etc. 

• Like 1

Delurking! 

I recently started at Coding Dojo. I am enrolled in the online program, it runs about 4 months and is designed to be done part-time (they expect 20-30 hours a week). I chose them because they are priced in the middle, reviews were decent, and I won a scholarship which made them very affordable :)

I am a little bit different in that I don't plan to work in web development, I just wanted interesting projects... I can't say anything about job prospects, but I figured it can't hurt to have an extra skill set to fall back on... If programming (web development) is something your Husband might be interested in, I highly recommend starting here: https://cs50.harvard.edu/ to see if he likes it. 

CS50 is Harvard's into the Computer Science course, all of the lectures are available on YouTube and he can try to complete the assignments. If he likes it, great! I would then recommend going to Udacity.com - try out some of the free courses first and then plunge into a nanodegree (I have found that their Front-End Web Development course has been a great preparation for Coding Dojo - https://www.udacity.com/course/front-end-web-developer-nanodegree--nd001).

Another option to consider might be University of the People - http://www.uopeople.edu/ They are a tuition free online university. They offer a CS track as well. 

Good luck :)

• Like 2

Does your husband like working with his hands?

We've recently looked into pipe-fitting or welding as possible career options for a relative who just has a high school degree.  They're interesting careers in that you can often learn and be paid at the same time, and the salary is very decent. 

Yes, I was thinking something along these lines where he could be a paid apprentice (add to the above list plumbers and electricians).  That way he could learn a new trade while getting paid for it and look forward to a higher salary when he is fully trained and has experience.....plus he is gaining experience while he learns, which is the best of both worlds.  My step brother has his own plumbing business and they are always so busy.  He employs many other people.  Of course, it may depend on where you live, what is the weather like year round, etc. but it's something to think about.

I was looking at available jobs for my nephew who recently graduated with a BA in computer science.  I was shocked at how many of the entry level jobs required only a high school degree, although most of them also required one to two years of experience.  Another thing to consider is an entry level job at a help desk, one that is within a company that the employees call in when they have computer issues.  The ones I saw only required a high school degree and I don't think they require much experience either.  I think they provide training and it is a get-your-foot-in-the-door kind of job, although I suppose that could differ depending on your location.

You should do some searches on jobs that interest him.  Search for "entry level whatever" or search for apprentice level work.  It will really give you an idea of what kind of requirements are needed in your area and might give him some ideas of something he would find interesting.

I think what you are doing is awesome.  Don't give up!

Not that I want to be a Debbie downer but here goes.

A lot of coding work is going overseas and now getting hired without a degree, at least around here (and we are in a tech center and every third person we know is an experienced IT person), requires extensive experience or having an "in" at the company. Unless he's very interested and motivated and talented at it, it honestly doesn't seem like the best option for job switching in his 40s. Also it's a field that will only continue to get off shored.

Also, like the military and police departments, many construction, electrician and plumbing apprenticeship programs have age caps. Generally these are 35 or 40. So investigate options carefully bearing mind he's past 40. They want people young enough to work a full 20 years preretirement age since these are physical jobs. Exceptions are ones that ofter the training via a local technical college and not through a trade union...stuff like HVAC and electrical line workers. Which would be something to investigate. I have a friend who is a line worker from a public utility company and she got through the program to be hired in 1 year. After finishing she entered the training program at the company where she was paid about $40K. 8 years in she's making nearly twice that.

For things to change or improve long term, you may need to take a leap of faith for a bit. Perhaps you both working opposite PT shifts for a year or two so he has time to upgrade his skills. Perhaps moving to an area with low cost trade schools and more services for low income families. Perhaps you working FT for a year while he studies and is home with the kids. Consider not just what you can earn but also what additional services you might qualify for on a lower student budget- food stamps, local charitable services. If he has never been to school before he has pell grant eligibility at your income point. That more than covers tuition at some tech/trade schools. Additionally, some schools or local workforce development offices may have additional grant funding. He doesn't necessarily have to take on debt to persue training. And honestly if he did take on a little bit of it, with IBR you would never be paying more than you could afford and if you were paying at all you'd be making more money than you are now. With the right program choice in healthcare or a trade, he could be making far more than he is now.

If a certificate or technical degree program is off the table, one other suggestion I have is driving a bus. Here those are fairly well paying jobs. They start at more than what you indicate he's making now.

What ever you decide, you are both to be commended for thinking long term and trying to make a more financially stable situation for your kids and yourselves. You can do it.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 6

There are a lot of coding jobs around here. So not sure if I totally agree they are all going elsewhere.

All? No.

The BLS estimates a 8% decline in American based computer programming jobs by 2024. While coding is not the same as programming, it's even easier to outsource coders than programmers. And on top of outsourcing, there's bringing in workers on visas (which has happened to many jobs here). I'm in a fairly high wage area and thus this one of the first places companies start lowering wage costs. As the infrastructure is built out and becomes even more reliable in certain countries, the startup costs of moving many jobs is lowered and more companies will follow.

It will keep getting harder and harder though for people without degrees or prior experience to get into the field.

It's not a dead field but it is, as it stands now, a shrinking rather than expanding field.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm

I can think of at least 3 major companies here that don't generally hire new people without a 4 year degree or a decade of experience.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

It's ok. I appreciate the realistic perspective. I don't want to waste what little time we have. DH's age is definitely a concern as well. 

Today I happen to be having one of my not-better days. I am just depressed. This whole thing is a big part of it. If anything, I at least hope I can help my children not to end up like their dad and I. I go through periods of being hopeful and periods like this of survival mode and wanting to accept that things will never get easier this side of heaven and trying to let go of goals and dreams because all they do is lead to bitter disappointment. 

I don't want to respond to everyone's ideas because it's going to look like I am very negative, and that's just how I feel right now. Right now it just feels like some people are able to succeed for whatever reason, and some people it doesn't really matter what they do, they will always struggle hard. 

Some days I don't want to try. I am tired in my bones. I guess after having been neglected and abused as a kid, after being a drug addict, after an assortment of horrible life choices, after trying to do the right thing and seeing that it only leads to pain, with a toddler hanging on me, with no extended family support whatsoever, living in a neighborhood I never would have wanted to in my worse neightmares, surviving is the best I can do. 

All? No.

The BLS estimates a 8% decline in American based computer programming jobs by 2024. While coding is not the same as programming, it's even easier to outsource coders than programmers. And on top of outsourcing, there's bringing in workers on visas (which has happened to many jobs here). I'm in a fairly high wage area and thus this one of the first places companies start lowering wage costs. As the infrastructure is built out and becomes even more reliable in certain countries, the startup costs of moving many jobs is lowered and more companies will follow.

It will keep getting harder and harder though for people without degrees or prior experience to get into the field.

It's not a dead field but it is, as it stands now, it is a shrinking rather than expanding field.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm

I can think of at least 3 major companies here that don't generally hire new people without a 4 year degree or a decade of experience.

I agree it is probably not easy to get a job without the degree.  I know where my DH works, they won't even hire a receptionist who doesn't have an associates (ridiculous). 

A hot job around here is anything related to chip fabrication. 

• Like 1

It's ok. I appreciate the realistic perspective. I don't want to waste what little time we have. DH's age is definitely a concern as well. 

Today I happen to be having one of my not-better days. I am just depressed. This whole thing is a big part of it. If anything, I at least hope I can help my children not to end up like their dad and I. I go through periods of being hopeful and periods like this of survival mode and wanting to accept that things will never get easier this side of heaven and trying to let go of goals and dreams because all they do is lead to bitter disappointment. 

I don't want to respond to everyone's ideas because it's going to look like I am very negative, and that's just how I feel right now. Right now it just feels like some people are able to succeed for whatever reason, and some people it doesn't really matter what they do, they will always struggle hard. 

Some days I don't want to try. I am tired in my bones. I guess after having been neglected and abused as a kid, after being a drug addict, after an assortment of horrible life choices, after trying to do the right thing and seeing that it only leads to pain, with a toddler hanging on me, with no extended family support whatsoever, living in a neighborhood I never would have wanted to in my worse neightmares, surviving is the best I can do. 

:grouphug: I'm sorry things look bleak today.  Please hang on to the smallest bits of hope you still have (helping your children) - you never know when you're going to have a better day and a new idea might spring into your mind or a new opportunity might come up.  It's OK for hopes and dreams to change, too, and give way to new ones.  This sometimes happens as you get older and as your kids get older.  Life is hard, but it's ours to live each day.  Hang in there.

Is there a way to put the kids in school for a couple of years, while you sort a few things? I don't recall if there's a issue that makes it necessary to homeschool. It doesn't have to be a forever decision, most decisions aren't :) just to give you a real chance to look for something if you wanted to.

• Like 1

Is there a way to put the kids in school for a couple of years, while you sort a few things? I don't recall if there's a issue that makes it necessary to homeschool. It doesn't have to be a forever decision, most decisions aren't :) just to give you a real chance to look for something if you wanted to.

This is actually something that has been put on the table as of yesterday. DH brought it up. I've mentioned here before that we live in a very concerning school district, so that has always sort of made up my mind for me, but there's a new public charter school that looks like it's a huge step up from the regular local public schools. 

Both DH and I have always felt and still feel that homeschool is best. At the same time, we're both seeing that my mental health and our circumstances are kind of urgently in need of priority right now. I am scared and I know having them (the older 2) in school might bring it's own set of difficulties. Plus I will still have my toddler with me all day. But it's a big chucnk of time and space each day that we desperately need at the moment. 

I will post more when I know more. 

• Like 13

... but there's a new public charter school that looks like it's a huge step up from the regular local public schools. 

I will post more when I know more. 

Oooo, this sounds interesting for your situation!  I look forward to hearing more as your story unfolds!

I know you said that you want to stay home, but, as an alternative plan- is there a good private school near you? (Or more than one) Go to them and tell them that you want more for your kids, and ask if they have any scholarship opportunities. Sometimes you can even work part time at the school. If your children are reading (depending on ages) and writing fairly well, they will consider it. Episcopal and catholic schools that market teaching the whole child are your best bets. That would free you up to work part time, maybe at a preschool with your youngest, which would help y'all get on your feet. It doesn't have to be a permanent solution. (Ignore the y'all- it's early)

• Like 2

My brothers are plumbers. They own their own company, and they are extremely wealthy (one has no degree and one has a degree in English). The reason that I mention this is because they frequently hire people with no experience and train them. As long as they are reliable and hardworking, they do very well with my brothers' company. In fact, my oldest brother started the company after having worked for another plumber who trained him and then gave him his blessing to start his own company.

It may be something for your husband to look into.

I will give you my personal opinion, which may or may not please you. I give it with sincerity.

You are married to a man who has only a high school diploma. He is stuck in a low-wage job with a fairly large family to support. It's impractical for him to try to obtain a degree right now. You are, according to your posts, overwhelmed and depressed. You both worry about money. In my opinion, putting the kids in school/daycare and getting a job might be a positive step. It would help out financially, give you some breathing space from your kids, and take some pressure off your dh. It is more likely that you will get ahead financially with both of you working than with trying to come up with some career change for you husband. If you can save enough money to move to a more desirable neighborhood, a lot of the things that cause you stress will be alleviated. Putting your kids in school needn't be forever. You could take them out again once things are more financially stable. I know it's a big step. I agonized over putting my oldest in school. It turned out the be the best decision for us.

Best wishes.

• Like 10

I know some families who have gotten private school scholarships as well. Public school might be difficult to consider, but touring the charter school can't hurt. And if it allows some breathing room it may be best. Sometimes choosing the school that is best for the whole family is most important, whether it's homeschool, public, private, etc.

• Like 1

I would put the kids in public school right now just to give yourself some breathing room and time to think. You will have the toddler, but one is easier than three, and you won't have to plan/implement school. It's less of a problem for them to be in a 'bad' school now than it will be in a few years. 

Also, search and see if your area has Early Head Start and/or Head Start, or similar programs. EHS takes them under 3. In my county, the public school system handles all applications for preschool, Head Start, and low-income daycare. This might not enable you to take on a job or training, but again, it would give you some breathing room. 

And I can't remember if you've shared the general area you live in. That might really help with specific suggestions (my area has lots of shipyards, other areas have none). 

I have never homeschooled, so there's that:) but I would also urge you to look into public school. I can't tell how old your children are, but especially in the elementary years I think your kids would be ok. I live in an area with very poorly rated schools, but also know teachers who work at at all of them and they are exceptional. The rankings don't always tell the story- especially for children whose parents value education and support their schools and children.

Also where I live children can go to day care for free when they meet certain income requirements. This is true for the hours you are working or taking classes. Even if it's only part time. Also, head start is a good place to look. In our area United way has a 211 number and website that has info on resources that might help you and your family. Not sure if that's in all areas but you could try.

ETA- you can call 211 and talk to someone or go to 211.org and type in your city or zip code to see what's available for your area.

Edited by lewber
  • Like 1