Menu

Settle a toilet disagreement for me (Update in post 1)

Katy

Toilets & Normal  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a toilet overflow on you?

• No, never
    • Came close, but no
    • Yes, once in my life
    • Yes, several times
    • Yes, toilets overflowing is normal, you just have to plunge faster
    • Only when a kid tried to flush something they shouldn't have
  2. 2. Is having toilets overflow EVERY time you use more than two wads of toilet paper normal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends
  3. 3. Is demanding to replace a toilet that either overflows (or nearly) several times a day mean I'm spoiled?

• Yes
    • No
    • C'mon Katy, I've told you you were spoiled before
    • In other areas of life you are spoiled, but in this case you're right

Sorry, I think you should call a plumber, which would probably be even less popular with your husband. I know you said you had your pipes scoped, but if your home inspector didn't point out the water stains, I don't trust your home inspector. Evidence of shoddy workmanship like the toilets not getting caulked makes me wonder about the plumbing in your house. How is the water pressure in your house? 

The water pressure is awesome.  You can take a shower while the dishwasher is running AND have someone flush a toilet and the pressure reduction is barely noticeable.  It's much better than our last house in Oklahoma.  Plus, the water smells much better and doesn't seem too hard like it did in OK. 

• Like 1

I'd be calling my plumber and having him bring nice new TOTO toilets from the plumbing supply store.  All the work is on him, and he then gives a warranty on his work and the toilets. 

Not much more money but far less trouble and you get a much better unit from the plumbing supply store than the big box stores, even if the brand is identical. 

Good advice!

• Like 2

Just an FYI: You can stop a toilet that about to overflow. Remove the tank cover and manually push down the flapper to stop the flush. No more water will flow into the bowl to cause an overflow.

If you teach a child to do this, in their panic, they will drop the tank lid and break it.  Just sayin'...

ETA: but then again, that might be the path to getting a new toilet.  ??

• Like 4

The first generation low flush toilets overflowed all the time; the newer ones do not and are the reliable. Most people have those first generation low-flush toilets have replaced them. Your DH is ridiculous.

We moved into a mid century ranch house. The toilets overflow frequently. As in don't poop without flushing before wiping frequently. And oh, don't use more than two bits of Charmin either. They also waste a ton of water, I'm guessing the tanks hold more than 5 gallons each, because if you flush with nothing in the toilet, the bowl fills, empties, and gurgles at the bottom two or three times.

I think we should replace the toilets with the no-clog low-water kind that cost a couple hundred dollars. When I talked to my mom about this, she offered to buy new toilets for me. I declined, and said DH is just being cheap.

DH didn't call me spoiled exactly, but says these sorts of toilets are normal and this is the way most people live, and then tried to school me in faster plunging technique. I think he's being ridiculous, and this is definitely not the way most people live. Who's right?

If it matters, we have more than enough money to replace both without having to dip into savings, but DH has other ideas with what to do with that money. I want to replace them before my period starts. I'm already anticipating one overflowing, bloody mess, me sobbing, and needing to tear up the carpet in the hallway if we don't switch at least one soon. Also there is CLEAR and DISGUSTING evidence in the basement that both toilets overflow quite frequently and that the toilets were never properly caulked. There are white and brown stains all over some exposed pipes and ducts in the basement that are right below both the toilets. I can't believe I never noticed those during the home inspections. I'll never miss that again.

• Like 2

My husband is a Master Plumber. No, that is not normal. I can only remember ONE actual overflow in my adulthood and it was caused by a kid using an abnormal amount of paper. I have had a few brimmers, but plunging released the clog. Boys who lay aneconda turds in there do clog toilets often, but this does not result in overflow.

• Like 1

Oh, I didn't see earlier comment about stopping toilets overflowing. While you *can* stop the toilet from overflowing by fiddling with the tank, it's just as easy to stop it from overflowing by turning off the water - the knob is usually right under/next to the toilet. And then you don't have to stand there like a goof over a full toilet bowl with your hand in the tank.

• Like 1

We moved into a mid century ranch house.  The toilets overflow frequently. As in don't poop without flushing before wiping frequently.  And oh, don't use more than two bits of Charmin either.  They also waste a ton of water, I'm guessing the tanks hold more than 5 gallons each, because if you flush with nothing in the toilet, the bowl fills, empties, and gurgles at the bottom two or three times.

I think we should replace the toilets with the no-clog low-water kind that cost a couple hundred dollars.  When I talked to my mom about this, she offered to buy new toilets for me.  I declined, and said DH is just being cheap.

DH didn't call me spoiled exactly, but says these sorts of toilets are normal and this is the way most people live, and then tried to school me in faster plunging technique.   I think he's being ridiculous, and this is definitely not the way most people live.  Who's right?

If it matters, we have more than enough money to replace both without having to dip into savings, but DH has other ideas with what to do with that money.  I want to replace them before my period starts. I'm already anticipating one overflowing, bloody mess, me sobbing, and needing to tear up the carpet in the hallway if we don't switch at least one soon.  Also there is CLEAR and DISGUSTING evidence in the basement that both toilets overflow quite frequently and that the toilets were never properly caulked.  There are white and brown stains all over some exposed pipes and ducts in the basement that are right below both the toilets.  I can't believe I never noticed those during the home inspections.  I'll never miss that again.

This is likely not a toilet issue.  It is likely a plumbing issue.  Your drain is probably the problem.  In some older house the drain out of the toilet is smaller.  In some older houses the pipes are cast iron and a lot of ick builds up which narrows the drain.  This second thing was our problem.  Dh rarely calls anyone to fix anything, but plumbing is his big exception. A plumber solved it quickly for not terribly much money.  I think replacing the toilets will give you the same headaches you're having now, and you'll be out the cost of the toilets.  I would call a plumber.

• Like 1

If your dh has a sense of humor you could really get to him over the next few days. Cards, memes,etc. Titles I could think of: 

Lord of the Rings (featuring toilets of course) One bowl to rule them all. 

King John (you could write up your own version of the Magna Carta) 

Thanks for the taking the plunge and installing the new toilets

Buy him a crown

Give him a deck of cards with the note: A straight flush beats a full house

And best of all, he should get a certificate from the Hive Mind because we rarely, rarely have a unanimous discussion about anything and this has made the list. 

• Like 6

If your dh has a sense of humor you could really get to him over the next few days. Cards, memes,etc. Titles I could think of: 

Lord of the Rings (featuring toilets of course) One bowl to rule them all. 

King John (you could write up your own version of the Magna Carta) 

Thanks for the taking the plunge and installing the new toilets

Buy him a crown

Give him a deck of cards with the note: A straight flush beats a full house

And best of all, he should get a certificate from the Hive Mind because we rarely, rarely have a unanimous discussion about anything and this has made the list. 

Brilliant, EL!!!!!

Laughing out loud and having to explain to my husband what I'm laughing about.

• Like 2

I got new toilets and regret it. I had THREE old school harvest gold toilets. I was so happy to replace them with white, low-water, modern toilets. Those toilets clog SO MUCH EASIER whereas the remaining gold monstrosity never clogs.

Constant clogs in an old house might not be the toilets at all. If you have cast iron pipes, the texture makes them grab stuff and clog easier. Adding a low water toilet to that might be a problem.

Enjoy your new toilets! We replaced an old toilet with a new one, and the water bill is much happier, even with a shower head that is not quite as low-flow as our old one). We still get clogs (not all galvanized pipes are gone, etc.), but no overflows with the new one. Can't wait to replace the other old toilet!