Menu

Need ideas for easy lower carb, high fat meals and tips!

NoPlaceLikeHome

I need to get my food under control asap :tongue_smilie: I could use some tips for easy meals that are low carb and high fat (but necessarily always). I am thinking under 50 grams of carbs a day. Also, any good books or web sites with easy recipes with real foods. I saw in the other other someone mentioned the 21 Day sugar detox book-is the recipe book better?

Also, I like eggs but I am wondering if it is possible to mix the eggs the night before for scramble eggs and put in the refrigerator ready to use for am? We are always in a hurry in the am.

Also, I have stopped artificial sweeteners since I think they don't help at all and makes things worse.

I appreciate any help.

I'm right there with you! My eating has spun out of control. And by spun out of control, I mean I started eating like regular people. Sigh.

A favorite low-carb treat of mine is cheese and guacamole. I cook a thin layer of cheese in a pan and put the guac on top, then fold it in half like a taco. Also, lots of chicken! Sometimes I shred mine and cover it with taco seasoning and a little cheese.

• Like 2

Lowcarbfriends.com forums

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/ (not a fancy site, lol)

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/

Check pinterest. There are bunches of sites. I don't use artificial sweeteners, and many of the recipes seem to be for faux desserts. I would start out with whole foods and then work into "recipes" like that. 

Keep eggs boiled and peeled. I don't know if they'd last pre-scrambled? Probably, but they may get gummy or something. I don't find cracking eggs to be that time consuming. We do a frittata type thing in a small cast iron skillet most mornings. Very quick. You can pre-make egg muffins (search for recipes). 

Most evenings are some variation of protein and vegetable. I know, ground breaking. I add carbs for kids and serve extra veg for us. Roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans are quick and easy to change up seasonings. Many nights are some kind of butterflied chicken breast with different seasonings, cooked in a cast iron skillet for 3 min per side then broiled for 2 mins with cheese added. Burgers without the bun. Protein (shredded pork, chicken, beef, taco meat, whatever) on a salad or coleslaw (Kalyn's Kitchen has some yummy cabbage bowl recipes). If the kids have pizza, I will make us that butterflied chicken topped with pesto and pizza sauce (make sure it's sugar free) and then a slice of mozzarella and some pepperoni. Sometimes I make the kids that too of course. There's a recipe with it baked all together in a casserole, but that came out wet and gross for me.

Costco's Kirkland prepared pesto is so good. You can use it on chicken, in chicken salad, on eggs, on steak, on broiled tomatoes, whatever! Also, they have the best price on macadamia nuts. 

Don't eat too much protein. You can google for calculators to see how much you should have for your body type and activity level. 

• Like 2

Anyone manage to have whole milk plain greek yogurt on a low carb diet? I enjoy Greek yogurt.

I've seen it in meal plans on LCF. I've also seen people mix in some heavy cream. It will depend on how sensitive you are to lactose sugars.

Interesting thing I just read about eggs.  The cookbook is called The Food Lab (not a low carb cookbook), but the guy who wrote the book did a lot of scientific experimentation with common foods.  In particular he claims that cracking the eggs ahead and letting them sit at least 15 minutes makes them come out with the best texture.  They supposedly come out creamy without being weepy.  I haven't tried it yet so no clue.  Just saying, cracking them ahead is probably fine either way.  Heads up they change color a bit.  They get darker.  Doesn't change the taste though. 

Super easy low carb stuff off the top of my head: pork butt in the crock pot, crack slaw (ground meat mixed with coleslaw mix..bit of toasted sesame oil at the end, lots of butter when you cook it, bit of soy sauce), bunless burgers, sausage and peppers, taco salad (make your own taco seasoning, one or two crushed up whole grain taco shell mixed in doesn't add a lot of carbs, but is tasty, or omit it), chicken fried rice using riced cauliflower (I seen already shredded cauliflower in the store now), and Linda's Low Carb for ideas.  Lots and lots of ideas there.  I really love the bacon cheeseburger pie and cabbage roll pie.  They are basically tastier quiche.  You can make those ahead.  They reheat well.

I get the full fat Fage.  I can't always find it.  The 2% is probably good too and easier to find.  I buy frozen berries.  I grab a small handful, microwave to thaw, small spoon of Splenda...

I have a few LC cookbooks, but honestly I've found the best recipes on-line by just googling around. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty lazy.  Usually I just eat the family meal minus the carb; obviously that doesn't work with some meals pasta or pizza etc. but in such case I try to eat something else or alter it in some way (e.g. I love to fry yellow onions to use as "spaghetti noodles" with meat sauce though still, in total, that doesn't quite fly if I'm trying to be very low carb - it depends).  I think I've finally climbed back on board the LCHF wagon after eating too many carbs for several months - I could get away with that here and there, but not every day/most of the time.  It had spiraled out of control.  I wasn't counting carbs and don't want to even guess but apparently it was too much to stay in anything remotely resembling nutritional ketosis  :tongue_smilie:.

One issue I have is stress-eating.  It really helps me to have something to eat laying around for that - I sometimes just need to grab something for reasons unrelated to hunger.  In a pinch, a half cup of coffee with some heavy cream will fulfill such a role.

Another issue I have is the tasting (cookie dough, brownie batter).  Or sampling the baking products, you know, to make sure they taste ok  :001_unsure:  (had this problem on saturday when I made GF cookies for a young relative; they turn out differently every time).

And one more issue is finishing my kid's food.  Sometimes I could make a whole meal of what my kids have left behind on their plates and I hate to waste it.  I have to be strong and simply toss it if it can't be saved for someone else.

I highly recommend planning foods out until the shopping and cooking is utter habit.

This week I made low-sugar ice cream for myself.  It's <10 g carb per serving if I keep the servings small.  It is ok, not super-awesome, so I'm not tempted to eat tons of it (as I can be with it sometimes if I make vanilla; this one was blueberry).  But I'm trying to be very low carb for a week or two to get back on the wagon so I should limit myself to a spoonful.

ETA, the only reason I can do this at all is my morning breakfast of bulletproof coffee.  It starts me off right in the LCHF department.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

We cook pretty simply, because on this diet my DH eats mostly meat. One of my sons eats mostly no meat, almost raw vegan + dairy. The other son is the easiest to feed, but I need to make him some healthy carbs because I think he needs more calories. I just scavenge from what I've prepared for others even though I should be doing the low carb too.

My hubby's number 1 meal is taco meat. He adds cheese, sour cream, picante sauce and 1 serving guacamole cups we get from Costco. We cook 3+ lbs at a time and it reheats well. His number 2 meal is 4 fried eggs with sausage or bacon.

In general, we try to cook a lot of meat so there's always something in the fridge, and I'm always trying to figure out what meat he will eat as leftovers so we can make a large quantity. We've been doing a lot of spare ribs, pork tenderloins, and steaks. Also pulled pork and chicken breasts. The other thing we try to do is to have some prepared food that's not too bad. He likes bags of caesar salad (no croutons obviously), and cheese and salami as a snack. Sometimes you can find sausages or even meatballs at Costco that aren't bad. Frozen hamburgers, and salmon patties/burgers cook pretty quickly and I find useful to have in the freezer. And I often grab a rotisserie chicken too. I guess we buy a lot at Coscto.

• Like 1

Super easy low carb stuff off the top of my head: pork butt in the crock pot, crack slaw (ground meat mixed with coleslaw mix..bit of toasted sesame oil at the end, lots of butter when you cook it, bit of soy sauce), bunless burgers, sausage and peppers, taco salad (make your own taco seasoning, one or two crushed up whole grain taco shell mixed in doesn't add a lot of carbs, but is tasty, or omit it), chicken fried rice using riced cauliflower (I seen already shredded cauliflower in the store now), and Linda's Low Carb for ideas.  Lots and lots of ideas there.  I really love the bacon cheeseburger pie and cabbage roll pie.  They are basically tastier quiche.  You can make those ahead.  They reheat well.

Crack slaw sounds great! Never heard of it before. Plus, everything's better with butter....

We use Triple Zero Vanilla Yogurt...it's really delicious with chopped strawberries and blueberries. 

I like the taste, but they use chicory root fiber in it for some reason. And chicory root fiber is often called "the farting fiber". For good reason. It tears up my insides, you can hear my stomach gurgling across the room. And the gas...oh my. I just trashed the ones I had left in the fridge. 

(some granola bars now have this fiber too....if you are sensitive, read labels!)

dietdoctor.com  - 2 weeks LCHF challenge is good for daily ideas as well as his free blog (yes, you can pay for better access but I don't)

Linda's low carb - basic good recipes   http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Google = low carb high fat recipes and you'll get a ton of different websites

I bought a zucchini spiral slicer and it's great! 

I've for the first time food processed cauliflower to make cauliflower rice - and it's yummy pan fried with butter and eggs - fast easy meal.  There was too much so I frozen some of it and a quick thaw  the next several days for C.rice and eggs.  I think you can make ahead a pancake like meal with c.rice and eggs.

I don't eat breakfast; bulletproof coffee is all I need.  2 meals a day does it for me.  If you get hungry in between meals, make bone broth for the week and have that as a high fat snack/drink.

Edited by MIch elle
  • Like 2

I like the taste, but they use chicory root fiber in it for some reason. And chicory root fiber is often called "the farting fiber". For good reason. It tears up my insides, you can hear my stomach gurgling across the room. And the gas...oh my. I just trashed the ones I had left in the fridge. 

(some granola bars now have this fiber too....if you are sensitive, read labels!)

I've heard some people have a real problem with this..doesn't seem to bother dh and I can only use the vanilla one.  

dietdoctor.com  - 2 weeks LCHF challenge is good for daily ideas as well as his free blog (yes, you can pay for better access but I don't)

Linda's low carb - basic good recipes   http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Google = low carb high fat recipes and you'll get a ton of different websites

I bought a zucchini spiral slicer and it's great! 

I've for the first time food processed cauliflower to make cauliflower rice - and it's yummy pan fried with butter and eggs - fast easy meal.  There was too much so I frozen some of it and a quick thaw  the next several days for C.rice and eggs.  I think you can make ahead a pancake like meal with c.rice and eggs.

I don't eat breakfast; bulletproof coffee is all I need.  2 meals a day does it for me.  If you get hungry in between meals, make bone broth for the week and have that as a high fat snack/drink.

Anyone subscribe to diet doctor? It looks interesting and I am tempted to do so for a few months.

I love bullet proof coffee....1 TBSP MCT oil (which is great coconut oil --I think), 1 TBSP Kerry Gold butter whipped and hot coffee...delicious and very satisfying.  I did it for several months and felt wonderful...with the move though everything has gone by the way side. ;)

• Like 1

I love bullet proof coffee....1 TBSP MCT oil (which is great coconut oil --I think), 1 TBSP Kerry Gold butter whipped and hot coffee...delicious and very satisfying.  I did it for several months and felt wonderful...with the move though everything has gone by the way side. ;)

Do you have to whip it or is the butter come whipped? Ever try coconut oil? Is it bulletproof in that it curbs your appetite?

I use Flatout wraps for a wide variety of meals, along with salad, when eating by myself. I like to use half of a wrap to make all different kinds of individual pizzas, my favorites being pesto/feta and spicy chicken sausage/veggie. Also, with leftover diced chicken and cheese, I fix open faced quesadillas on a griddle and top with guac, salsa, and sour cream. Of course the wraps also work well for any kind of cold sandwich.

I use lots of ground chicken sausage to make large batches of sausage patties and cooked sausage in advance. My go to breakfast on weekdays is chicken sausage patties and blueberries. I also prepare large batches of paleo salmon patties for lunches at work. And like someone else, I cook batches of taco meat for taco salads.

• Like 1