Menu

Bulletproof coffee question

KatieJ

But what is special about Kerrygold?     $5 for a half pound; that's a lot of money, though of course if there are specific health benefits it may be money well spent.   I've read off and on about bulletproof coffee but never an explanation of why that particular butter.  For all I know, the "inventor" of bullet proof coffee is on the board of directors of Kerrygold.

(OK, yes, I am being facetious and that is not meant maliciously or sarcastically at all.  But I don't get it.)

But what is special about Kerrygold?     $5 for a half pound; that's a lot of money, though of course if there are specific health benefits it may be money well spent.   I've read off and on about bulletproof coffee but never an explanation of why that particular butter.  For all I know, the "inventor" of bullet proof coffee is on the board of directors of Kerrygold.

(OK, yes, I am being facetious and that is not meant maliciously or sarcastically at all.  But I don't get it.)

I don't know except that Kerrygold may be the most common grass-fed style butter and, therefore, the easiest for most people in most areas to buy. (?) I don't think there's anything extra special about Kerrygold itself necessarily.

I used the individual size blender cup on my Ninja blender. Kerrygold is good & is easy to find, imo, as even the local Publix carries it.

Warning: Make sure you have the blender lid/cap on securely. I ended up with a huge, hot, oily mess of coffee & butter everywhere the first time I tried it. :ohmy:

I've only had it a few times & it tastes good. But, I don't like the oily aftertaste. For those that drink it routinely, is that normal/something you get used to...?

Stacia, the only time I have an oily aftertaste is when I let the coffee get warm to tepid. I appear to be constitutionally incapable of finishing a hot cup of coffee or tea without reheating it at least once. I do add a couple drops of vanilla extract, though, maybe that's the difference? How much coconut oil do you use?

Kerrygold because it is from grassfed cows. It makes a much higher quality fat. If you can find a different butter from grassfed cows go for it. We have several produced locally and I have used that.

I am...a fan of bulletproof coffee, although I am prob going to give it up soon. I have been drinking it in the morning for 4 months and have seen none of the purported benefits.  But I like it, lol. I might keep drinking it because I like it. I have a vitamix and it takes 2 seconds in the blender. But even that can be a pain in the morning.

I did think it was funny when friends started drinking it and making these surprised claims about how not hungry they felt...well, you went from having a plain cup of coffee for breakfast to consuming 400 calories of fat for breakfast so no wonder you are not feeling hungry.  Sheesh people....think about it!

I never used the suggested amount of butter or MCT oil or coconut oil (I have tried all of them and in combination) because it is just too many calories for me.  What you eat matters, but so does how much. As a petite middle aged woman I am on a small calorie allotment, kwim?

Anyway, here are some things to consider about 'bulletproof"

http://gizmodo.com/bulletproof-coffee-debunking-the-hot-buttered-hype-1681321467

Like I said, it is tasty and I like it, but I haven't seen any of the benefits claimed. And I certainly did not buy his silly expensive coffee or anything like that.

• Like 2

I don't know except that Kerrygold may be the most common grass-fed style butter and, therefore, the easiest for most people in most areas to buy. (?) I don't think there's anything extra special about Kerrygold itself necessarily.

OK, so the key is "grass-fed" and not Kerrygold. 

I also looked it up on the bullettproof coffee site.  He does say "grass-fed" and not necessarily KG.  When I had looked at it before, I *thought* is specified the brand.  That always makes me a little suspicious - when a brand of something is specified but the reason for it is not.  But, either my  memory is wrong or it's been changed. 

In any case, makes more sense now.  Thanks!

Kerrygold because it is from grassfed cows. It makes a much higher quality fat. If you can find a different butter from grassfed cows go for it. We have several produced locally and I have used that.

I am...a fan of bulletproof coffee, although I am prob going to give it up soon. I have been drinking it in the morning for 4 months and have seen none of the purported benefits.  But I like it, lol. I might keep drinking it because I like it. I have a vitamix and it takes 2 seconds in the blender. But even that can be a pain in the morning.

I did think it was funny when friends started drinking it and making these surprised claims about how not hungry they felt...well, you went from having a plain cup of coffee for breakfast to consuming 400 calories of fat for breakfast so no wonder you are not feeling hungry.  Sheesh people....think about it!

I never used the suggested amount of butter or MCT oil or coconut oil (I have tried all of them and in combination) because it is just too many calories for me.  What you eat matters, but so does how much. As a petite middle aged woman I am on a small calorie allotment, kwim?

Anyway, here are some things to consider about 'bulletproof"

http://gizmodo.com/bulletproof-coffee-debunking-the-hot-buttered-hype-1681321467

Like I said, it is tasty and I like it, but I haven't seen any of the benefits claimed. And I certainly did not buy his silly expensive coffee or anything like that.

I tend to agree with you. I, too, have not noticed any of the purported benefits of drinking bullet-proof coffee. To be fair, though, I only drink coffee at work (so basically 1 1/2 out of every 3 days). I also don't buy his fancy-schmancy coffee. I did notice a decrease of morning/early afternoon hunger; but, as you note, I'm consuming increased calories from fat.

Anyway, I'll probably continue to drink it at work just because my partner and I split the costs of the butter and coconut oil; so, it ends up being cheaper overall than my frou-frou creamer. I like the creaminess of the coffee and, in the end, that might be enough for me.

Grass-fed, unsalted butter - salted butter tends to have a lower quality of salt than you'd necessarily want. I use Kerrygold unsalted (salted if I can't find unsalted, that seems to be more difficult to find). Costco has salted Kerrygold for the cheapest I've seen it anywhere, unsalted I can rarely find at the local grocery. I personally like it both ways, but some have a strong preference one way or the other. 

I also use Brain Octane Oil (from the BP site), though MCT oil works well and coconut oil almost as well. 

I use 2 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of BOO, been drinking it for close to a year now, though I tend to take 2-3 days 'off' every week. When I drink it, I usually don't have breakfast and wait to eat until brunch/lunch, depending on when I start getting hungry and how intense my workout was that day.

You may want to start with lower quantities, some people can have a reaction to the caffeine/fat if they're not used to it. Oh... and make sure to blend (NOT stir) it, if you don't want an oily mess, and drink it when it's nice and hot!