Menu

Bulletproof coffee anyone?? And if so...

StaceyinLA

I pour 2 cups of coffee into my Vitamix, slice off a little bit (maybe a tsp) of unsalted butter and then scoop about a TB of coconut oil in and spin it around until it's frothy (10-15 secs). We drink the Costco brand of Columbian coffee. I think butter in coffee sounds so strange, but it tastes so good.

• Like 2

I pour 16 oz coffee into my Ninja, add either a tbsp of butter or a tbsp of coconut oil or half of each (depends on my mood, they taste a little different), 2 oz of cream, and a dash of cinnamon. Ninja until foamy, about 10 seconds. It tastes like a cappuccino.

• Like 2

If you forget about it and it cools to the point that the coconut oil starts to refirm, then it'll separate.  (this is when your children will say, "Ewwww, Mom!  Your coffee got weird!"  lol)

otherwise, nope, it'll stay emulsified.

I have been using green tea, lately...

8oz brewed tea/coffee

2 T coconut oil

1 T butter

1-2 oz cream (both butter and cream are fresh from a girl friend's cow.  Yum!)

2 tsp cocoa

whip it up with my stick blender

My husband made it, with the official Bulletproof Coffee "without mycotoxins!!" [eyeroll smilie] and Kerrygold butter and whatever the other thing is, and to me it just tasted like coffee with real (not fakey creamer) half-and-half. 

I am a bitter, wizened old crone of a skeptic, but to me it seems more like a genius marketing ploy than a particularly novel way to "biohack your body!!"

• Like 5

It's not sweet.

DH uses heavy whipping cream in his coffee, which is approximately 20-40% butterfat. As the cream gets poured, butter builds up on the spout.

We have tried Kerrygold butter in our coffee, and it's pretty darned good. I prefer whole milk, but that's just me.

• Like 1

Well, SOTW has a fun activity for making yak butter tea- shake the cream to butter thing. It comes from Tibet so perhaps this is a modern take on that. At the urging of a mom, I tried bulletproof coffee. The coconut oil made me sick and though creamy, coffee still needs some sugar to take the bitter edge off at least, IMHO. I went back to cream (yum) and tried a much smaller amount of coconut oil, about 1/4 tsp, and added sugar. I was actually quite surprised at the long lasting energy I had from this. It seemed to extend the coffee effect for a couple of hours at least. It cant hurt and i don't shy away from oils or fats so why not. There's another anecdote to add....

• Like 1

Thanks for this link.. I've always wondered where this idea came from...

But...

He seems to make some bold claims:

Grass-fed butter is much healthier than other butter.  It doesn’t make cholesterol levels worse, it optimizes them!  Starting your day with grass-fed butter will give you lots of energy and it will give your body healthy fats that it will use to make cell walls and hormones.

Does he have science to back it up?

Just because the locals of Tibet do it, does that make it healthy?  Sounds a bit like "noble savage" talk to me.  Sure, If I'm climbing mountains & living a subsistence lifestyle then I need some extra oomph... but If I'm an average SAHM in a wealthy western county - do I really need it?

I'm sure it's not any worse than cream but it does seem a little gimmicky to me.

Thanks for this link.. I've always wondered where this idea came from...

But...

He seems to make some bold claims:

Does he have science to back it up?

Just because the locals of Tibet do it, does that make it healthy?  Sounds a bit like "noble savage" talk to me.  Sure, If I'm climbing mountains & living a subsistence lifestyle then I need some extra oomph... but If I'm an average SAHM in a wealthy western county - do I really need it?

I'm sure it's not any worse than cream but it does seem a little gimmicky to me.

Same here. Sounds like a magical claim, a trend, good marketing, cultural exploitation, all of that. Very nice that on one occasion it gave him a boost (hmmm...caffeine and fat giving a tired hungry person a boost? Who'da thunk it?) but to extrapolate miraculous effects for everyone from that is...hucksterish. 

It's butter coffee. If you live in a chilly climate and need a quick hit of caffeine and fat because you have to work before you can make big breakfast it's ideal. For the average North American there's no mystical reason why spreading the fat on your toast rather then putting it in your coffee wouldn't do the same thing.

That said, I love lots of cream in my coffee and am now thinking I might try butter coffee for the pure deliciousness of it.

• Like 3

Same here. Sounds like a magical claim, a trend, good marketing, cultural exploitation, all of that. Very nice that on one occasion it gave him a boost (hmmm...caffeine and fat giving a tired hungry person a boost? Who'da thunk it?) but to extrapolate miraculous effects for everyone from that is...hucksterish. 

It's butter coffee. If you live in a chilly climate and need a quick hit of caffeine and fat because you have to work before you can make big breakfast it's ideal. For the average North American there's no mystical reason why spreading the fat on your toast rather then putting it in your coffee wouldn't do the same thing.

That said, I love lots of cream in my coffee and am now thinking I might try butter coffee for the pure deliciousness of it.

I think that the idea came from the ketogenic diet community. Most people I see online who are drinking bulletproof coffee eat low carb, so they would  not be eating the toast. :)

• Like 8

I don't know about the guy who originated it or what his claims are. I started doing it when I went low carb to help me get past adding sugar to my coffee. It works well with lchf, and it does make me feel full all morning and give me lots of energy.

• Like 6

I think that the idea came from the ketogenic diet community. Most people I see online who are drinking bulletproof coffee eat low carb, so they would  not be eating the toast. :)

yes, the first place I started hearing about it was in the Paleo/LC community (I'm LC but not Paleo)... I just decided to wait it out and see because it seemed like the new, in, "thing" that comes and goes.

I remember reading in "Three Cups of Coffee" the author talking about having butter coffee in the Mts. of Afganistan and how awful it tasted (I think they used goat butter) - but that was before the "bulletproof" craze redesigned it.  ;) 

yes, the first place I started hearing about it was in the Paleo/LC community (I'm LC but not Paleo)... I just decided to wait it out and see because it seemed like the new, in, "thing" that comes and goes.

I remember reading in "Three Cups of Tea" the author talking about having butter coffee in the Mts. of Afganistan and how awful it tasted (I think they used goat butter) - but that was before the "bulletproof" craze redesigned it.  ;)

I love bullet proof coffee-- I also like it as a hot cocoa drink

1C milk

1T baking cocoa

1T CO

1T butter

1 tiny tiny 1/8 t of stevia

I use this as a "need something sweet" at the end of the day and if I make too much, I put it in my coffee the next morning.

I have a vitamix, but I prefer to use the magic bullet for my coffee.

This is how we start our day.  I use whatever coffee beans my husband bought this week, brew it up nice and strong, and then put it in a saucepan to warm the coconut oil and butter.  (How much I add depends on how awake I am that morning.) I add a little coco powder, a little cinnamon, a little sea salt, a touch of cayenne, and a raw egg and whip the whole the whole thing up with my stick blender.  It keeps me contentedly full through all my morning meetings and I think it's yummy.

I make it as "bullet proof cocoa" for my son, too, to keep him going when he has an early start.  Like his Mamma, he can't face food first thing in the morning, but he can drink this before he's hungry. I make his without cinnamon or cayenne and sometimes add a little honey.

I started drinking it when I realized that the cream in my coffee in the morning was causing an unacceptable blood sugar rise.

I use regular coffee with 2 T unsalted Kerrygold and a smitch of coconut oil.  I've been doing this for about a year.  BPC was what got me over the hump to not putting any sugar in my coffee and then to going fully LCHF.

I happened to be at the vitamin store yesterday and randomly decided to buy MCT oil, which is (was) in the old recipe for BPC, to give it a try in place of the coconut oil.  I think the website now markets some ridiculously expensive new product in lieu of that (brain-something).

This is how we start our day. I use whatever coffee beans my husband bought this week, brew it up nice and strong, and then put it in a saucepan to warm the coconut oil and butter. (How much I add depends on how awake I am that morning.) I add a little coco powder, a little cinnamon, a little sea salt, a touch of cayenne, and a raw egg and whip the whole the whole thing up with my stick blender. It keeps me contentedly full through all my morning meetings and I think it's yummy.

I make it as "bullet proof cocoa" for my son, too, to keep him going when he has an early start. Like his Mamma, he can't face food first thing in the morning, but he can drink this before he's hungry. I make his without cinnamon or cayenne and sometimes add a little honey.

I started drinking it when I realized that the cream in my coffee in the morning was causing an unacceptable blood sugar rise.

That sounds like a great idea. I might have to experiment. See, I find appeals to ease and timings so much better then appeals that mention cancer fighting properties and weight loss. :)

• 2 years later...

I use regular coffee with 2 T unsalted Kerrygold and a smitch of coconut oil.  I've been doing this for about a year.  BPC was what got me over the hump to not putting any sugar in my coffee and then to going fully LCHF.

I happened to be at the vitamin store yesterday and randomly decided to buy MCT oil, which is (was) in the old recipe for BPC, to give it a try in place of the coconut oil.  I think the website now markets some ridiculously expensive new product in lieu of that (brain-something).

I would love to hear what folks think of BPC now in conjunction with LCHF diet? Have you had successful weight loss? Were you able to stick to LCHF? Ever use BPC for intermittent fasting?

I appreciate any info and sorry for raising an old thread :o

I would love to hear what folks think of BPC now in conjunction with LCHF diet? Have you had successful weight loss? Were you able to stick to LCHF? Ever use BPC for intermittent fasting?

For me, BPC was the only way I managed to get sugar out of my coffee.  When I have coffee in the morning, I need to have a sizable energy source with it.  BPC is what helped me go fully LCHF.

I have PCOS/insulin resistance and I'm getting old now (48).  LCHF did help me lose weight, easily.  I have been LCHF for what, 2-3 years?  I'd have to check the dates of those threads to remember LOL.  The problem is that I live in the House of Carbs.  Over many rather stressful months, not paying close attention, I started incorporating more carbs than will work for me, and I gained some weight back.  I'm back on the low carb wagon and I do wonderfully if I can stay really low, like under 30g, at least for a couple of weeks, and then stay under 50g after that (much easier).  100 g is too much for me.  I just had a birthday and dh bought fancy cupcakes and really good chocolates *sigh*.

I have learned a few things about myself in this time.  It's possible for me to eat too much protein - makes me gain.  And of course if I do end up having a big helping of carbs, having a big helping of fat along with it is not a good thing.  I tend to eat when I'm stressed so I need to have something around that's acceptable.  I really don't get very hungry; if it's morning and I'm starting to get hungry, I'll have maybe a quarter cup of coffee with heavy cream.

If you are looking for inspiration and information, I highly recommend the Volek and Phinney books, Art and Science of Low Carb Performance (exercise) and Art and Science of Low Carb Living.

I've never had it just because I can't figure out what the benefit to butter versus heavy cream would be, and heavy cream is so much easier. Why have to wash the blender when I could just use cream? 

The bulletproof coffee guy has a website detailing the reasons - it's been a while, but IIRC, they boil down to butyrate, which is supposedly a good fat for your brain (*unsalted grass-fed butter, not just any butter).  Or something.  I do think that when I'm using too much heavy cream (as I often do in the afternoon), I tend to have more trouble with not losing and/or gaining weight, though I'm not sure whether I'm just having too much fat in the afternoon (or if I'm already out of ketosis depending on what I ate for lunch) or whether I have a minor dairy issue of some sort. I have BPC for breakfast always and don't typically eat anything until lunchtime.  Then I have a bit of coffee here and there in the afternoon - I was drinking too much coffee in the afternoon for a while so I'm trying to get back to normal.

ETA, washing blender - I only do BPC first thing in the morning.  I use a bullet-style blender (that sits on my counter next to the coffee maker) and stick it in the dishwasher.  Like anything, that part is easy when it's a habit I don't have to think about.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

I enjoy it, though I don't drink coffee every day and I usually drink decaf, half-caff at the most.

I have never put sugar in my coffee, but BPC does keep me full through the morning and I like it when the weather is cold.

I use freshly ground medium-dark roast coffee, good butter, a little coconut oil and some cream from our local dairy (where the cows are on pasture, not eating grain). 

I have never thought about putting cocoa in it, but I might try that. My kids like coffee too, so they might like it. Anything that helps keep my Ds from being hungry every other minute is good. 

The bulletproof coffee guy has a website detailing the reasons - it's been a while, but IIRC, they boil down to butyrate, which is supposedly a good fat for your brain (*unsalted grass-fed butter, not just any butter).  Or something.  I do think that when I'm using too much heavy cream (as I often do in the afternoon), I tend to have more trouble with not losing and/or gaining weight, though I'm not sure whether I'm just having too much fat in the afternoon (or if I'm already out of ketosis depending on what I ate for lunch) or whether I have a minor dairy issue of some sort. I have BPC for breakfast always and don't typically eat anything until lunchtime.  Then I have a bit of coffee here and there in the afternoon - I was drinking too much coffee in the afternoon for a while so I'm trying to get back to normal.

ETA, washing blender - I only do BPC first thing in the morning.  I use a bullet-style blender (that sits on my counter next to the coffee maker) and stick it in the dishwasher.  Like anything, that part is easy when it's a habit I don't have to think about.

I guess I'm still confused. Grass fed butter is made from cream from grass fed cows. There are no other ingredients. So if the butter has butyrate, wouldn't the cream have it too? Or am I misunderstanding?

I guess I'm still confused. Grass fed butter is made from cream from grass fed cows. There are no other ingredients. So if the butter has butyrate, wouldn't the cream have it too? Or am I misunderstanding?

I really don't know, but I also don't buy grass-fed cream.  I buy the regular heavy cream at Target, which seems to have the best price around here, or Kroger.  My guess is that the butter would have far more of the butyrate - certainly it has far more fat.  Maybe there's something to too much dairy-ness in the cream, as in a paleo angle?  (ETA, if I have coffee with heavy cream in the morning, it will typically not be enough fat to get me through until lunch)

I will say that I vastly prefer Kerrygold to any other unsalted butter in my coffee, even other organic, grass-fed kinds (which are hard to find).  I don't know why; it just tastes better to me.

People with stick blenders:  what container is the coffee in when you blend it?  Every time I've tried with the stick blender I end up making a mess no matter what container.  This tends to come up when we stay in a vacation house with family - I'm trying to keep out of the hostess's way and end up just using a whisk in my coffee cup.  It kinda works, but it's not quite the same.  I only use a spoon if I have no other choice.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

People with stick blenders:  what container is the coffee in when you blend it?  Every time I've tried with the stick blender I end up making a mess no matter what container.  This tends to come up when we stay in a vacation house with family - I'm trying to keep out of the hostess's way and end up just using a whisk in my coffee cup.  It kinda works, but it's not quite the same.  I only use a spoon if I have no other choice.

In the 16oz coffee mug that I use. 

I put the butter, cream, stevia and then add the coffee about 1/3 of the cup - stick blend & slowly add coffee while I SLOWLY pulse the blender until about 1/2 the mug - stop & add coffee over the stick to get the foam off the stick & fill mug to top & spoon stir.

I appreciate any info and sorry for raising an old thread :o

Yes - BPC helps me NOT to eat breakfast and keep the food cravings away longer than just cream alone; I can now have my first meal of the day at 11-12:30 depending on the day and how much fat was in my morning BPC

I've gone from size 16 to sz 12/10 but unable to keep it all off over the last 8 years.  I have NOT gone back to size 16 but mostly in size 14 and always trying to get back to size 12 with success for several months before I go back to sz 14.  I have 6 identical pants in size 14 AND 12.

BPC for breakfast, LCHF lunch & dinner works well for losing and keeping the weight off ONLY if I could just live that way for life.  BUT my dh and 2 adult dc are all thinner than me (normal BMI) and tempt me with bad food choices ALL THE TIME - ice cream, cookies, homemade popcorn made with coconut oil, chips, wine, etc.  I give in and the weight slowly goes back on.

I suggest you join low carb friends and read the forums for intermittent fasting ideas especially the JUDDD forum & Dr. Jason Fung thread.

• Like 1

And why are 2 Tbsp of butter considered a healthy meal superior to a regular breakfast?

It's not if you are normal weight. 

But if you are overweight and/or insulin resistant butter doesn't spike your blood glucose/insulin levels like a regular breakfast meal does, depending on the contents of the meal.

• Like 1

It was funny to see this pop back up, but I am glad because I have a question; does anyone do their BPC with decaf coffee?

I haven't done BPC in a while because I mainly drink iced (especially in summer), but sometimes I really miss it. I cannot do caffeine at all at this point, and should probably just eliminate coffee but I'm not ready, but I like that the BPC makes having no sugar really doable.