Menu

How about a thread of your kids favorite past gifts?

My kids own tons of stuff but most of it gets forgotten pretty quick and only used occasionally.

Their favorite gift, though, was the gamecube we managed to get for them last year and the games to go with it. (We are getting the Wii this year.)

They like their magazine subscriptions. My daughter, age 8, gets Highlights. My son, age 6, gets a Spiderman comic made for younger kids.

They like movies a lot.

Everything else seems to be in the barely used category.

When my teen was four, her favorite gift was her own hot water bottle!

Other more recent favorites have included specific CDs, DVDs, and tickets to events such as musicals. Gift cards, books, and chocolate continue to do well in the gift giving sweepstakes!

Regards,

Kareni

In younger years:

1.Thomas the Tank Engine wooden track(endless supply of items for birthday, Christmas gifts for all price ranges so this worked really well. Good quality and my boys want me to keep forever which I hope to for any grandkids.

2.Legos are another great one as there are so many to choose from.

3.Marble runs, wooden blocks and small tractors.

From 9 and up:

1. portable DVD player for our travels which we do alot!

2. Ticket to Ride, Scrabble, Sleeping Queens card game, Fowl Play card game

3. Electronic dart board

4. hunter related anything for my oldest

5. train related anything for my youngest

6. fishing tackle, rod and reel

We like to do family gifts(bigger items that we are enjoy)

1. Shuffleboard table

2. foosball table

3. kayaks

My dh and I were just talking about this yesterday. This was what my mom got ds last year for Christmas. Both of my kids spend HOURS playing with this. The entire thing is put together with plastic screws, so he is constantly taking the whole thing apart. They both love all of the tools. I found ds building the little bird house the other night at 3am by the light of his little flashlight. The drills actually make noise, too. (Note: It has small parts that are potential choking hazards)

AAAAAtAxNi4AAAAAAJrABg.jpg

Oh! I almost forgot! This was what DH made the kids last Christmas - this has to go down as one of the coolest Christmas presents, ever! :) The counter tops are Corian!

kitchen%20002.jpg0

Oh! I almost forgot! This was what DH made the kids last Christmas - this has to go down as one of the coolest Christmas presents, ever! :) The counter tops are Corian!

kitchen%20002.jpg0

Thats incredible, he should do business on side. That reminds me, my dad made my dd's a dollhouse for AG dolls, but could not fit it through the front door. Sad.

Best gift for girls, would be year, we took them to Disney w/o telling them. They were in shock the whole trip, we went all out.

kitchen%20002.jpg0

Wow! That is incredible! And your dc will use that for years!

The best gifts here are ones that dh and I made.

Dh made the girls a wooden doll stroller and the same year, I refinished an old wooden doll high chair.

One year dh made our daughters doll beds for their AG dolls, and he made a closet for the clothes.

One Christmas, my sis sent money for the girls, so we bought patterns and material for their AG dolls. I spent all week making all kinds of dresses. I made dds pj's that match their dolls' pj's. In that frenzy, I also made older dd's doll a dress just like dd wore as Clara in The Nutcracker, and younger dd's doll just like her dress as a party child. The girls were thrilled!

The man-child loves the wooden gun and a sling-shot dh made him. He will play with anything, though. This Christmas, I may just wrap up a bunch of paper towel holders. :)

Great thread:)! KrazzyMom- that is the most incredible play kitchen I've ever seen! What a gift! My 5 yo would LOVE to come over to play ;)

Our kid have all loved playmobile. We have TONS and the 3 younger still ask for it.

The older girls really like jewlery - funky earrings, unusual rings, anything blingy, perfume (MK has some neat gift ideas that aren't too expensive), nice make-up (not the cheap, cheesy stuff- though my little one likes that :)). An unusual article of clothing or expensive pair of classy shoes, a silk scarf. A movie or CD that they have wanted. When they were little American Girls Dolls, Bitty Babies and accessories. Scrapbooking and stamping supplies, scrapbooks. A digital camera.

My boys still love Lego sets- the big, cool, expensive kind.

Drawing supplies: cool pencils, art pads, the real stuff.

Books on tape- Focus on the Family has radio theater and we've really enjoyed these. Good movies.

Our tramp was one of the best gifts ever.

Our Akita puppy was too - she's an old lady now, kinda like me- lol!

Guinnea pigs.

Our horse - seriously (we had to put him down this past spring- sniffle, sniff).

A new computer.

Legos

Playmobil

American Girl historical dolls & accessories

Magazine subscriptions

Books

CDs (often Putamayo)

Wikki Stix

Nice crayons/markers/pencils & Dover coloring books

Pop-up tent

Play food

Gift card to the bird store

Computer games

Good chocolate (ds is a chocoholic)

Razor scooters

Monster disc (large, soft frisbee)

Legos

This lego table

Playmobil

Playstands

Wooden pretend food

Magnetix (we play with these in the living room with supervision so we can keep track of loose magnets and glue them back in).

Amish made lincoln logs

Haba blocks

Dress-up trunk

art supplies, if those can be called a toy

Wikki stix, playdough, anything creative

a child's weaving loom

This Haba hammer toy

I'd like to say they play with their Folkmanis puppets, but they don't. Those seem to be my toys, yep, I like toys.

I don't mind paying a bit for Halloween costumes because they go in the dress-up trunk afterwards and they dress up in them constantly. They have been putting on Peter Pan plays all week after getting their Halloween costumes in the mail.

Lauri tall stacker building set, all three still play with this.

My kids like that too. I saw someone mention magazine subscriptions and book store gift cards and those are so appreciated here too, my kids love getting something in the mail each month; even my 4 yr old looks forward to his Highlights High Five mag, there are always recipes and crafts he wants to do.

Lego and Playmobil

Hot Wheels and the "car rug" printed with roads and buildings--they play with this almost daily

Stacking cups game

Board games--especially Battleship, Mastermind, chess, Sorry

Wii

Soccer ball, basketball

Stomp rockets

Suitcases (not for playing, but they use them often), backpacks, flashlights

Art supplies

Magazine subscriptions

Cat

Thomas trains and train table (bought for oldest ds 4 years ago and now the baby is obsessed with them!)

Kid K'nex sets

Matchbox cars, airplanes, trucks, etc.

MP3 player and I-Dog

Gameboy Advance

Leapster

Pokemon cards and toys

Webkinz

Scleich farm and zoo animals

Art supplies

Dress up trunk

Computer games

Lauri lacing cards

What I find funny on this list...or maybe it isn't funny at all. I don't know.

There are several items that are listed several times by different people. These items are so popular that I went out and bought them for my kids only for them to totally ignore them. Things like dress up, Barbies and Barbie clothes, Legos, wooden blocks, wooden train sets, and hot wheels sit totally unused in our house. My kids so not normal.

ipods - all three girls use these almost daily

large wooden swingset - a gift to all four children - used daily

dress-up clothing - probably the items with the most use both in hours and years

Boggle, Phase 10, Monopoly, standard card decks - used often and likely for years to come (looking forward to adding Scrabble to that list soon)

bikes - used almost daily

items that are/have been used a great deal and for a long time - but are specific to one or two children

matchbox cars

large outdoor Tonka type trucks

baby dolls

doll strollers

shopping cart

play kitchen

hula hoops

art supplies (colored pencils, paints, journals)

marbles

snorkling gear

stuffed animals

little plastic animals