Menu

Alternative to Flowers

MrsWeasley

I traditionally give my kids flowers after a performance, but my son has a performance on Mothers' Day this year (I know!). We won't be going straight there or straight home afterwards, and my desire to carry cut flowers is minimal. I know some parents do lollipop or cookie bouquets instead, but I don't like him eating a lot of sugar either. Any other ideas for an alternative to cut flowers after a performance?

I will sometimes bring a card with money.  I have also given small stuffed animals and other small gifts.  I have seen other people bring balloons, but I never do.  Mine have always appreciated the small gifts or money just as much or more than the flowers.

Suzanne

• Like 1

My son plays the violin, so I usually pick up a large Symphony bar to give him after a performance.  I wonder if there's another candy bar you could give him "Break a leg, Butterfinger?" or "You really made me Snicker up there on stage" or "You are a Big Hunk" way to go...

eta:  whoops, missed the whole no sugar part... Sorry!!

I sort of feel like a gift after a performance is over rated... how about a hug and a high five?  

Or a 5 dollar big with a note saying it's a "High Five" for a great performance?  A money lei?  

etaa:  I'm not sure why I think it is a play, maybe it is a musical performance.  Sorry!

Edited by wendy not in HI

I'd go silk and then re-use it every other time.  Maybe hang a note to it each time until it's brimming with notes-from-performances-past. But it's also not something that'd be further cluttering up my home.  I love the stuffed animal idea, but I'm swimming in those as it is because none of them - even the teens - can detach! LOL

But I'm lazy, cheap, and forgetful (which my kids know) so this would be something they'd appreciate because it's about all I'd ever manage.

They'd prefer I let up on my sugar issue, which I'd be willing to do if I didn't think it'd become the new expectation. That's not a road I'd want to start down!

• Like 5

I realized after a few years that my daughter didn't care, so I stopped with flowers and did something else instead only for really special occasions--something I knew she'd appreciate instead, like a charm for her charm bracelet. 

In your situation this year if he sincerely liked receiving the flowers I would probably take the cash I'd normally spend on flowers, and fold it origami-style into flowers and present that instead.

What about a special coin or bill -- such as a dollar coin or $2 bill?  My grandfather always gave me a silver dollar coin for my piano recitals.  They were very special to me, and I still have them.

Maybe a special rock or gemstone from a museum gift shop?  My children are rock collectors, and would love this. 

• Like 4

I just do random things that connect to the performance.  DD17 loved Folkmanis puppets when she was young.  She got several of those over the years to go with the theme.  Like a peacock puppet when she was a 'Bird Girl' in  Seusical the Musical.

We usually celebrate at home after the event with a nice dessert and coffee, or go out for ice cream, or some other treat.  The child knows it's in their honor.

However, once when our son was Tevya in Fiddler on the Roof, we gave him a bouquet of balloons.  There was one special one in the middle that said something like "Great job!".  We probably didn't give it to him till he got home, because it would have been awkward to carry around a big bouquet of helium balloons at the show.  :)

• Like 2

I'd go silk and then re-use it every other time.  Maybe hang a note to it each time until it's brimming with notes-from-performances-past. But it's also not something that'd be further cluttering up my home.  I love the stuffed animal idea, but I'm swimming in those as it is because none of them - even the teens - can detach! LOL

But I'm lazy, cheap, and forgetful (which my kids know) so this would be something they'd appreciate because it's about all I'd ever manage.

They'd prefer I let up on my sugar issue, which I'd be willing to do if I didn't think it'd become the new expectation. That's not a road I'd want to start down!

I love, love, love this! Paper flowers, even better!

https://www.pinterest.com/superflash/paper-flower-tutorials-pics/