Menu

Evangelical to Catholic...differences

Jennifer132

I couldn't think of an appropriate thread title, so I hope the title at least draws in those who have experience in these faiths. I grew up Protestant, and attended a Protestant university. My family and extended is heavily involved in the evangelical faith. The only Catholic I know on a personal level is my midwife and we have never discussed her faith.

Somehow back in October I came across and read a book on basic Catholic beliefs, and I could not get away from the fact that the Catholic interpretation of the Lord's Supper made more sense, biblically speaking. Recently I read another book by a Catholic author, and in it, he made several more valid points about things which the evangelical viewpoint had always left me feeling confused.

I'm no where near ready to convert (in fact the thought is frightening, tbh), but I find that my theological viewpoint is decidedly more Catholic now on certain issues. That being said, when I picture mass (I only went a few times as a child for whatever reason, so my knowledge is limited) I have a hard time picturing myself attending. I just don't "get" the different traditions and activities that go on. Is there something I can read that will help me align the theology of the Catholic Church with the traditions you do at mass? Or any books in general that would help me see how far back some of these traditions date?

• Like 4

Here are some books that I have enjoyed in my search to better understand Catholicism.

A Catholic Guide to the Bible by Oscar Lukefahr
We Believe: A Survery of the Catholic Faith by Oscar Lukefahr
A Biblical Walk Through the Mass by Edward Sri

We Worship: A Guide to the Catholic Mass by Oscar Lukefahr

This is the Faith by Ripley 

If you are looking for things specifically about the Mass, the one by Sri and "We Worship..." by Lukefahr are probably the closest match from my list.

I'll try to remember to scan my bookshelves and see what I have that's specifically about the Mass. This website seems to have a decent list as well.

• Like 1

I think many Protestants are Protestants of tradition and not Protestants of conviction. I can say the same for many nominal Catholics.

Reading and really understanding the catechisms of each group, as well as the directly addressing the Vatican councils, will help solidify and clear up any remaining points of departure. I'm a Protestant because I *cannot* affirm Rome. Every man needs to be clear in his own mind of his convictions and reasons, and studying doctrine has proven a better way for *me* to do that that reading testimonies :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Oh, and a lot has to do with using your body, not just your mind. Just like forcing a smile can actually make you feel happier, your body and posture can help you worship, pray, etc. God gave us physical bodies not just spirits for a reason. So things like the sign of the cross, kneeling, standing, etc help us put our minds in the right place to worship,and remind us of what we are supposed to be thinking/praying/etc. 

• Like 9

This may be a very informative and interesting thread - at least I hope this is where it's going.

Words like Catechism, Eucharist, Homily and Doctrine can all swirl around in your head.

For instance, can someone help me here: Is a catechism (defined as set of principles) and doctrine (defined as set of beliefs) similar or is this distinction important? I mean if the doctrine somehow is derived from catechism the set of beliefs is based on the set of principles? Clear as mud?

This may be a very informative and interesting thread - at least I hope this is where it's going.

Words like Catechism, Eucharist, Homily and Doctrine can all swirl around in your head.

For instance, can someone help me here: Is a catechism (defined as set of principles) and doctrine (defined as set of beliefs) similar or is this distinction important? I mean if the doctrine somehow is derived from catechism the set of beliefs is based on the set of principles? Clear as mud?

This isn't an official answer, but in terms of practicality, you use the Catechism (a book/document set up for study) to learn about the doctirnes/beliefs of the church. It's more of a .... textbook? Study guide? Explanation of?

• Like 2

This isn't an official answer, but in terms of practicality, you use the Catechism (a book/document set up for study) to learn about the doctirnes/beliefs of the church. It's more of a .... textbook? Study guide? Explanation of?

Catechisms are to teach the fundamentals of the faith in concise format, definitely like a text book in that sense. They are derived from the accepted doctrines of the church. Catechisms can have quite a few variations from one another, so knowing who uses what catechism (especially in Protestant denominations) tells you a great deal about what points they differ.

One thing about the mass or Eucharistic service is that it is something that is really meant to be experienced.  It can be a huge help to do a little reading first, so you have a sense of the structure, but before going too far with reading about it, visiting can be very helpful.  Any of the big liturgical churches will have a service that is broadly similar (though the Orthodox one is a little more unfamiliar to many.).  As ktgroc mentioned, it is very physical, and so the senses and the body have a lot to do with it, and especially a kind of habitual response.

• Like 3

I was raised Baptist and dh was raised Catholic (not where either of us are now, but...). When we were first together, I saw that we had such a radically different idea of the purpose and meaning of church. To me, church was community. Without the community, there was no church. And what the church was started with community (this is very Baptist, but I feel like I've seen that in many evangelical communities I've seen). For dh, church was the idea. It wasn't so much that all churches were exactly the same, but going to one mass was not so different from going to another mass. To me, it was like, my idea of church was an individual restaurant - it could be anything based on the chef, the menu, etc. But to dh, church was McDonald's - the same the world over for the most part (I don't mean that good or bad... just the metaphor I struck on). Having been raised with the whole "personal connection with God" sort of ethos, seeing dh's "get there through ritual" assumptions were just fascinating and culture clashy for me.

• Like 4

See if there's a Catholic bookstore or church with a library near you.  There are a lot of books about families who converted from evangelicalism to Catholicism that can answer those questions in a personal, relational way.  There are also books on apologetics that can answer them in an academic way.  And there are books on the history of liturgy that can explain why liturgical churches have the traditions that they do- the incense, the altar, the different colors based on different seasons all have meaning and history, much of which goes back to ancient Judaic temple ceremonies.  None of it is empty tradition.  And some of the catchphrases that are "bad" in evangelical circles are "good" in Catholic ones.  It can be quite perplexing.

We've considered converting to Catholicism or Eastern Orthodox here. We've landed on Methodism for now, but that might change with the next relocation. If you're seriously curious and have questions about the criticisms of Catholicism from Evangelicals, you might call priests and ask for recommendations of which churches have lay ministers or priests with more background in apologetics and can answer your more serious questions with authority.

• Like 4

I am going through the process of converting to Catholicism from Evangelical Protestestism. It has been a journey of several years, terrifying yet amazing. I feel like I just keep getting closer to the fullness of the truth. It has been a slow and steady progression, not an overnight change. Like you, it all started with my understanding of the Eucharist changing and a point where there was no going back.

Some books that have really helped me were Rome Sweet Home by Scot Hahn, Surprised by Truth by Patrick Madrid, and Crossing the Tiber by Steven Ray. Most of them have been Protestant and have converted to Catholicism and I found it really helpful to read others who went down the same path I was on.

Also, don't be afraid. A wonderful Protestant pastor friend encouraged me to go to Mass. She told me that if God was leading me along this path, then I would never be satisfied by hanging back, afraid to start down the road. Her encouragement pushed me forward and I am so grateful. The first few months I attended Mass, even before I knew anything about the Mass, I just wept all the way through. I felt the presence of Christ so strongly. I felt like I was home.

God bless you on your journey!

• Like 7

I highly recommend reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church, if only because I think MORE people should. I've had interesting conversations along the lines of...

Me: (some statement about a Sacrament, a prayer, etc)

Other person: Hmm. Interesting. Where did you hear about this?

Me: The Catechism.

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/

When I saw the title of your thread, the first thing that came to mind was the fact that, as Catholics, we place equal importance on our sacred tradition as we do on sacred scripture. There isn't always a Biblical source for our practices or beliefs. (Much of the theology of Mary comes to mind.)

• Like 4

For the basics of the Mass I've actually found children's resources to be really useful in a basic "how to" thing :) I was baptized Catholic but not brought to church so when I began attending at 16 alone I just sort of stood and kneeled and observed a lot. And I think it's important to know that just doing that is fine. The Mass is still the Mass even if nobody participates or everybody sings off key :) 

Anyway, my husband was a Lutheran pastor (well, technically he's still ordained but left his church position) and he's in RCIA and in private study to come into the Eastern Catholic (Ukrainian Byzantine specifically) Church soon. He might have some more resources to suggest if you're interested. I do know that the Didache was critical in his process of deciding to come into the Catholic Church so if you're up for it that might be an excellent place to look. The Didache really describes the early church's worship and it is amazing how much it looks like the liturgy of the mass. I will say that Scott Hahn's "The Lamb's Supper" really gets into the "why" of the mass and even pulls direct quotes from it and scripture, tying it all together. It's a really excellent book in general, theologically deep but fairly accessible to a layman. 

• Like 1

Could've written much of your post (OP) for myself about 3 years ago.  Just wanted to second the recommendation for Rome Sweet Home by Scot Hahn.  

Also, an interesting DVD on the early church / apostolic fathers called Footprints of God - Apostolic Fathers Handing on the Faith by Steve Ray.  Be forewarned: the style of the presentation is super cheesy (for my tastes).  But the information was great.  The early centuries, first followers of Christ. 

I have a great book recommendation for you! I saw some other recommending Scott Hahn, and his book "The Lamb's Supper" really drives home the biblical roots of the Mass, as well as explaining the Catholic understanding of the Eucharist. He originally studied theology as a Protestant, so he really understands the common objections or misunderstandings relating to Catholicism. Really, he is very accessible, but also thorough and brilliant, and has helped me, a cradle Catholic, understand my own faith more deeply.

• Like 2

If you're seriously curious and have questions about the criticisms of Catholicism from Evangelicals, you might call priests and ask for recommendations of which churches have lay ministers or priests with more background in apologetics and can answer your more serious questions with authority.

Great recommendation. I'd also recommend Catholic Answers (Catholic.com) as a resource. They have a ton of rock-solid information on their website, and you can also contact them with questions about the Catholic faith.

Not completely what you asked but...

If it wouldn't be weird, you could ask to go to Mass with your midwife just to visit and see for yourself. If you go alone, just remain seated during Communion (that may be obvious, but not sure). My dh is not Catholic and he attends with me sometimes. He actually stays seated for several parts.

RCIA is not just for people converting. It's for people interested in Catholicism. So if you get to that point where RCIA interests you, you could call a local parish and ask about it. When classes start can vary from church to church. Some do it year round. Others may start in August.

At my church I did the Word on Fire series with my Bible study. We watched some videos in the series. The priest did a great job of explaining something to me about our belief on Communion. On the website it says he has a book.

http://www.wordonfire.org/

Edited: Oh wow, he has a Kindle book on sale for $1.99 right now for a limited time. I just bought it.

http://www.wordonfire.org/resources/blog/get-bishop-barrons-best-selling-catholicism-book-for-just-199-today/5049/

Edited by heartlikealion

Great recommendation. I'd also recommend Catholic Answers (Catholic.com) as a resource. They have a ton of rock-solid information on their website, and you can also contact them with questions about the Catholic faith.

LOL, where I was going to say stay away from catholic answers!  Some of the people there are great, but to me some of it is like the worst parts of the internet. Lots of people commenting very harshly on situations they have never experienced. If you want to be told all the ways you are going to hell by people that probably live in their mother's basement, that's the place to go. 

(and now I'm probably going to hell.....)

I'd stick with EWTN, The Coming Home Network, etc. Or better yet, attending Mass and maybe joining in one night at an RCIA class. You don't have to sign up for the class, just ask if you can attend one to see what it is like. 

• Like 6

Not completely what you asked but...

If it wouldn't be weird, you could ask to go to Mass with your midwife just to visit and see for yourself. If you go alone, just remain seated during Communion (that may be obvious, but not sure). My dh is not Catholic and he attends with me sometimes. He actually stays seated for several parts.

Depends on the parish. At mine the priest specifically invites everyone to come up in the communion processional BUT to cross your arms over your chest if you are not receiving, and you will be given a prayer or blessing (depending on if it is a priest or not ). I think this is partly to keep things moving....when people stay in the pew it can be awkward to walk around them if the space is narrow. It also takes away any emphasis, no one really sees if you are taking communion or not. And be aware, LOTS of people don't take communion, even Catholics. If nothing else, people in RCIA who are not fully part of the church yet will be at Mass every Sunday but not able to take communion, plus family members visiting, people who need to go to confession for something  first and didn't make it, etc. No one thinks it is weird or judges. In fact, when I first came back to the Church I had to have my first marriage annulled and my marriage with my husband consolidated before I could receive communion. That process is now very quick but at the time took over 18 months between the annulment and then preparing for the consolidation. I was still there every Sunday, unable to receive. 

• Like 1

LOL, where I was going to say stay away from catholic answers! Some of the people there are great, but to me some of it is like the worst parts of the internet. Lots of people commenting very harshly on situations they have never experienced. If you want to be told all the ways you are going to hell by people that probably live in their mother's basement, that's the place to go.

I'd stick with EWTN, The Coming Home Network, etc. Or better yet, attending Mass and maybe joining in one night at an RCIA class. You don't have to sign up for the class, just ask if you can attend one to see what it is like.

Yes!! The phrase "more Catholic than the Pope" comes to mind.

• Like 5

LOL, where I was going to say stay away from catholic answers!  Some of the people there are great, but to me some of it is like the worst parts of the internet. Lots of people commenting very harshly on situations they have never experienced. If you want to be told all the ways you are going to hell by people that probably live in their mother's basement, that's the place to go. 

I have to agree about Catholic Answers.  I wouldn't reccomend it.  Aside from the people you mention, there is a tendency to get some rather poor amateur apologetics that I think can really backfire. They don't give a good foundation if they are accepted, and they can be a big turn off if people realize they are dodgy.

Also - there have been some pretty unchristian shenanigans by staff over the years.  I don't consider them trustworthy.

Depends on the parish. At mine the priest specifically invites everyone to come up in the communion processional BUT to cross your arms over your chest if you are not receiving, and you will be given a prayer or blessing (depending on if it is a priest or not ). I think this is partly to keep things moving....when people stay in the pew it can be awkward to walk around them if the space is narrow. It also takes away any emphasis, no one really sees if you are taking communion or not. And be aware, LOTS of people don't take communion, even Catholics. If nothing else, people in RCIA who are not fully part of the church yet will be at Mass every Sunday but not able to take communion, plus family members visiting, people who need to go to confession for something  first and didn't make it, etc. No one thinks it is weird or judges. In fact, when I first came back to the Church I had to have my first marriage annulled and my marriage with my husband consolidated before I could receive communion. That process is now very quick but at the time took over 18 months between the annulment and then preparing for the consolidation. I was still there every Sunday, unable to receive. 

I started to type out a list of options like cross arms or put finger over lips but erased it because I said to myself, "if I was visiting I doubt I'd remember what to do or I just wouldn't feel comfortable getting up." I've been to numerous churches and it's very rare to hear a priest (in my experience) give directions unless it's on a major holiday/occasion where they know there are lots of non Catholics in the room. My son goes up with his arms crossed all the time (he has not had First Communion).

I'd just sit near the end of the pew so I could step out if I didn't want a bunch of people walking around me. Sit in a less crowded pew, OP, if you are worried about that.

I started to type out a list of options like cross arms or put finger over lips but erased it because I said to myself, "if I was visiting I doubt I'd remember what to do or I just wouldn't feel comfortable getting up." I've been to numerous churches and it's very rare to hear a priest (in my experience) give directions unless it's on a major holiday/occasion where they know there are lots of non Catholics in the room. My son goes up with his arms crossed all the time (he has not had First Communion).

I'd just sit near the end of the pew so I could step out if I didn't want a bunch of people walking around me. Sit in a less crowded pew, OP, if you are worried about that.

We have a large parish, and I bet the fact that we are in/near Orlando makes it so we have more visitors than usual. So he does give directions at EVERY Mass. 

We have a large parish, and I bet the fact that we are in/near Orlando makes it so we have more visitors than usual. So he does give directions at EVERY Mass. 

Oh I believe you, in case there was any doubt. I just meant that I think it's the exception. Where I currently live, I alternate between a few parishes. I've lived here 3 years and I think the only time I heard an announcement was during a funeral. I'm usually out of town for holidays so not attending the local parishes then, but they often say something at those on a major holiday.

Dh just sits in the pew. He has never gone to get a blessing. I don't know many adults that do that. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Edited by heartlikealion

A priest offering communion makes eye contact with everyone... if you don't know the particular gesture of that church, just smile shake your head and keep walking.  There is no stigma at all about not taking communion. You will not be judged.  No worries.

Every priest I've ever met is deeply knowledgable, welcomes questions and challenges, and makes time for people who just want to talk. It is not a job, it's a  vocation, and welcoming visitors and discussing theology is part of a priest's core identity.  And pushing for conversion definitely is not- they act as guides.  Don't hesitate to make some calls. I expect you will get a warm conversation. 

I couldn't think of an appropriate thread title, so I hope the title at least draws in those who have experience in these faiths. I grew up Protestant, and attended a Protestant university. My family and extended is heavily involved in the evangelical faith. The only Catholic I know on a personal level is my midwife and we have never discussed her faith.

Somehow back in October I came across and read a book on basic Catholic beliefs, and I could not get away from the fact that the Catholic interpretation of the Lord's Supper made more sense, biblically speaking. Recently I read another book by a Catholic author, and in it, he made several more valid points about things which the evangelical viewpoint had always left me feeling confused.

I'm no where near ready to convert (in fact the thought is frightening, tbh), but I find that my theological viewpoint is decidedly more Catholic now on certain issues. That being said, when I picture mass (I only went a few times as a child for whatever reason, so my knowledge is limited) I have a hard time picturing myself attending. I just don't "get" the different traditions and activities that go on. Is there something I can read that will help me align the theology of the Catholic Church with the traditions you do at mass? Or any books in general that would help me see how far back some of these traditions date?

I didn't see this mentioned yet, but it seems like it would address your questions.

The Mass of the Early Christians http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Early-Christians-Mike-Aquilina/dp/1592763200/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1452696878&sr=1-1&keywords=mass+of+the+early+christians

About the arms cross thing for a blessing.  This is something that is pretty universal, as in, the priest will know what you want at any Catholic parish.  But I have heard of some who discourage it or don't allow it at all - they feel its redundant as the congregation as a whole is blessed anyway as part of the service.

(One of the things I discovered at Catholic Answers, lol.)

On the arms crossed for a blessing....this is pretty universal but at churches where taking communion on the tongue is common it can get tricky because nobody is putting their hands out so the priest/eucharistic minister can get confused :) My 7 year old insists on coming up for a blessing (he REALLY wants communion) and now that he's tall the priests have mistaken him for being a communicant and offered communion and I had to intercede. I suspect this is DS's sneaky way of tricking someone into giving him communion  :laugh:  Anyway, so if the church has kneelers I suggest staying seated as just easier. That's what I did anyway when I was attending but not communing because of my time away and needing my marriage convalidated (which TWTM keeps autocorrecting to "consolidated" haha!) 

And I second (third?) the suggestion for the Coming Home Network. We're on it and they just redid their website and it's fabulous! They're very helpful. 

Depends on the parish. At mine the priest specifically invites everyone to come up in the communion processional BUT to cross your arms over your chest if you are not receiving, and you will be given a prayer or blessing (depending on if it is a priest or not ). I think this is partly to keep things moving....when people stay in the pew it can be awkward to walk around them if the space is narrow. It also takes away any emphasis, no one really sees if you are taking communion or not. And be aware, LOTS of people don't take communion, even Catholics. If nothing else, people in RCIA who are not fully part of the church yet will be at Mass every Sunday but not able to take communion, plus family members visiting, people who need to go to confession for something first and didn't make it, etc. No one thinks it is weird or judges. In fact, when I first came back to the Church I had to have my first marriage annulled and my marriage with my husband consolidated before I could receive communion. That process is now very quick but at the time took over 18 months between the annulment and then preparing for the consolidation. I was still there every Sunday, unable to receive.

This can get confusing between Eastern and Western parishes. Orthodox Christians and many Eastern rite Catholics cross their arms over their chest to show they are receiving the Eucharist. If you attend an Eastern rite Catholic parish, just ask the person next to you what is customary. Well you could do that no matter where you go, I suppose. May God bless your journey as you seek your House of faith.

I didn't see this mentioned yet, but it seems like it would address your questions.

The Mass of the Early Christians http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Early-Christians-Mike-Aquilina/dp/1592763200/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1452696878&sr=1-1&keywords=mass+of+the+early+christians

I read this a few months ago. It was good!

Re: what to do during Communion at Mass...after skimming this thread now, it makes it seem like what you do then is a big deal (solely because customs on what to do do vary from place to place/parish to parish). But it's not!

If you go to a Mass, stay seated if that's what you prefer. Or, if you go up, just cross your arms, shake your head, whatever without receiving. 

It really wouldn't be a big deal.

I guess I should clarify--I don't mean their forums, I meant their actual published articles and apologists who work there. Yeah, their internet forums are like anywhere else--anyone can, and does, comment as an expert, regardless of qualifications!

I do personally know a few of their staff apologists, and I would trust them to be both faithful to the magisterium and full of charity in their responses.

I guess I should clarify--I don't mean their forums, I meant their actual published articles and apologists who work there. Yeah, their internet forums are like anywhere else--anyone can, and does, comment as an expert, regardless of qualifications!

I do personally know a few of their staff apologists, and I would trust them to be both faithful to the magisterium and full of charity in their responses.

Ah, okay! Yeah, it was the forums I meant....they get kind of scary. Every now and then I try to go back and end up getting upset and leaving before I ever post anything. 

I'm a recent convert to Catholicism. I was raised Southern Baptist. I understand how "scary" it is to start this journey. I'll be praying for you. I see that someone recommended  Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn. I also recommend that. It's one of the first books I read when I began to feel a pull toward Catholicism. Also, I would recommend another book of his: The Lamb's Supper - it is about the Mass. If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me.

Edited by freeindeed
  • Like 1

Depends on the parish. At mine the priest specifically invites everyone to come up in the communion processional BUT to cross your arms over your chest if you are not receiving, and you will be given a prayer or blessing (depending on if it is a priest or not ).

Many parishes do this, including mine, but technically you aren't supposed to do that.

Many parishes do this, including mine, but technically you aren't supposed to do that.

Yeah, I have heard that...that you can't add anything to the rubrics of the Mass, so therefore saying a blessing would be wrong because it isn't in the instructions for the Mass. But, I'm not going to argue with the priest about it..he says to come up, I go up. I think it's one of those when in Rome kinds of things for me. 

Which part is a no no? Encouraging people to come up or prayers or blessings added during Mass?

Prayers or blessings during the mass. This is, as far as I'm concerned, a letter of the law versus spirit of the law issue. I really cannot imagine Jesus getting his toga in a tizzy because priests took the time to say a blessing for someone during the Mass. The only people I've ever seen get upset about it are on the internet...and even then pretty much only on Catholic Answers. 

But either way, I've never seen a parish (latin rite, ordinary form) that doesn't do the blessings during the communion procession. They pretty much all do it, at least for the kids coming up. 

And to be clear, it's not that there is anything wrong with the idea of the priest doing it, the argument is that they shouldn't "add or take away" anything from the Mass, and by saying a blessing they are adding to it. 

• Like 2

In the diocese I live, which is known for being one of the most 'rigid' in the US, many of the priests just skip the little kids who have their arms crossed over their chests. In those parishes, the parents learn not to send them up until they are actually old enough to receive communion. I will agree that in the majority of parishes that you can go up to receive a blessing instead of communion with your arms crossed across your chest. It is a really nice feeling to get your own private blessing that way.

Our family, including the kids who haven't received their First Holy Communion yet, doesn't go up unless we are going to receive communion. It helps motivate/inspire the youngers to work toward their First Communion & motivates those of us who feel we have a mortal sin on our soul to get to confession as soon as we can. But, that's just our own personal practice.

OP - Best of luck in your journey, wherever that leads you, if anywhere, & wherever you choose to Rest in the Lord.  :grouphug: