Menu

Evangelical to Catholic...differences

Jennifer132

Unless I missed something, the article says that blessings - not this gesture - are inappropriate.

FWIW, I tend to agree. I especially find it inappropriate (and distracting for me) when an EM will offer a blessing. I abstain from the cup when pregnant, and was surprised by the number of times that the EM would bless me while I made my respectful gesture at the cup. Nice thought, but it does take away from being in Christ's presence. 

If people want to to through the communion line in order to revere Christ's true presence, I think that should be encouraged. My 5 YO is desperate to receive Eucharist, and takes much comfort from Eucharistic adoration.

Unless I missed something, the article says that blessings - not this gesture - are inappropriate.

FWIW, I tend to agree. I especially find it inappropriate (and distracting for me) when an EM will offer a blessing. I abstain from the cup when pregnant, and was surprised by the number of times that the EM would bless me while I made my respectful gesture at the cup. Nice thought, but it does take away from being in Christ's presence. 

If people want to to through the communion line in order to revere Christ's true presence, I think that should be encouraged. My 5 YO is desperate to receive Eucharist, and takes much comfort from Eucharistic adoration.

I think the assumption is that if people are coming up in the line, or to the altar rail, at the distribution for communion, it is to receive communion. and if they go with their arms crossed they are expecting a blessing.  Otherwise they would just stay in their seats.  Getting closer doesn't really change anything if the point is adoration.