Menu

Anyone else Happy Dancing about PSAT scores today?

StephanieZ

We just saw ds16's PSAT scores and are happy, happy, happy!

It's KILLED us waiting since Thanksgiving! I've been through this process with my eldest, so I was all set to get the scores right after Thanksgiving . . . and then found out about the delayed time table . . . and have been on pins and needles since then! FINALLY, today, we get to see the scores, and ds's are great! Definitely should be national merit in our state, which is AWESOME. Happy, happy, happy!!

Two down, one to go, lol.

• Like 18

Very happy with my 10th grader's scores. It did tell us that she'll need to really focus on math if she wants to qualify for NM (which wasn't news), but I think she's definitely in line for commended next year at minimum. I'm going to be very interested in seeing what the cutoffs are for our state with this new test.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 3

We're happy here.

I'm wondering if the new test was a lot easier, though. I'm not sure how they are supposed to compare. Dd has taken it since 8th grade and she's done a bit better every year as she's had more math but the jump in percentiles this year were quite a bit more than I expected to see. She should be in the running next year when it counts.

• Like 1

Anyohe have any idea what the NM qualifying scores look like this year? I can't find that info yet. My son's a sophomore, so not worried about this year, but would be good to know how far off we are for next year, you know?

Well, it is hard to know for sure. My guess, based on looking at the %ile information out so far, is that the cut offs should be at or below last year's cut offs, looking at the NMSC qualifying number, which is 2x the R/WR score + 1x the math (cutting off a zero). The total possible qualifying score is 12 points lower this year (out of 228 instead of 240, because the new PSAT max score for each section is now 760 instead of 800). The talk seems to be that the test is not easier this year. The actual numbers for each state will be weirder, since the really high score cut off state (like CA) might well be near perfect scores . . . as they were so high before. My kid's scores were 99% across the board, and we are in a low cut off state (WV), so he is a shoo-in. (Last year's cut off was 201 out of 240, and we've never had a cut off above 203/204, and he scored 212 composite.)

So, IMHO, if your kid's score is at or above recent years' cutoffs for your state, then I'd GUESS they're pretty assured to make it. If their score is just a few points (6-12) below recent years' cutoffs, then you're in that painful wait-to-September to know. If the score is more than 12 points below recent cutoffs, then probably it's a no.

In April, they *should* announce Commended Scholars (top 2% or so nationwide, so around the 98%cut off, which you can see  if you made that based on the score report. If your state is a typical low cut off state, like mine, then nearly all (or all?) the Commended Scholars make NMSF. If you're in a high score state, only the top 1% of YOUR STATE make NMSF . . . So, it's easier for those of us in low score states to have some confidence now.

If you don't already use College Confidential, that is the place to learn all the agonizing details. It's WELL WORTH your time to spend some time there if your kid is a potential NMSF. Lots of info on schools that give great scholarships, etc. My college girl is on a FABULOUS 5yr scholarship to U Alabama, which I learned about there. She's super happy. It's a great school. And, we're so happy to get the MASSIVE $$ help.

For anyone looking for info on NM scholarships, the process, etc, here are my Go To links:

http://nmfscholarships.yolasite.com

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships

And, this year, for whatever reason, lots of the PSAT talk is on this page at CC:  http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-act-tests-test-preparation/1816872-psat-discussion-thread-2015.html#latest

Happy surfing! 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting. Didn't know this was all available online (first time testing). Not in the NM range as a sophomore, but very happy with dd's scores. Especially happy that the non-math-lover did just fine in math and she hasn't had the advanced stuff yet. And she did this test with no prep.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 2

I read at testmasters, that the formula was adding all three scores together, then multiplying by 2. They predicted the NMQST cut offs would be a bit lower as well.

DS has to maintain two scores, and improve one to make the cutoff next year. Dd will also take it next year, but her scores are usually a mirror image of her brother's.

Edited by LisaK in VA is in IT
  • Like 2

Dd is on the bubble, as they say on CC. Her selection index is right at the level our state's cutoff fluctuates around. She is a sophomore but she will most likely be graduating early. We will change her information witn College Board next week so that she is eligible to participate this year after all (provision for kids graduating early).

She was so excited by her score. She will not be as excited when she learns she has to take the SAT after all. Our plans were to take the ACT instead of dealing with the changes. Oy.

• Like 3

No, ds's weren't surprising, but they weren't good.

I have started the process of getting accommodations for his SAT or ACT. We'll see. He has a high GPA from both me, outside classes, and dual enrollment, but the poor kid can't test to reflect it. He is dyslexic with very slow processing speed; it's his excellent work ethic that gives him his grades.

Congrats to those who did score well!

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 4

No happy dance. Definitely hit college ready benchmarks, but nothing spectacular.

His anxiety has gotten progressively worse since the accident. I had him in counseling but his therapist closed her private practice. I am considering an application for accommodations for the ACT. He does well with regular grades, but tests - across the board - have been getting worse. The material "leaves his brain" and/or he can't access it.

• Like 1

Finally got ahold of him, he's at his dad's. No happy dance. Meets college benchmarks, but hit 83rd percentile. Mind you, he's a sophomore and did zero prep because he "wanted a true baseline." Sigh. I'll have him do prep before he takes it as a junior. Probably a prep class locally. And may look into accommodations. He has very low working memory, ADHD, etc. 

Finally got ahold of him, he's at his dad's. No happy dance. Meets college benchmarks, but hit 83rd percentile. Mind you, he's a sophomore and did zero prep because he "wanted a true baseline." Sigh. I'll have him do prep before he takes it as a junior. Probably a prep class locally. And may look into accommodations. He has very low working memory, ADHD, etc. 

A great way to prep for the PSAT is to take (and study for) the SAT. Seems weird and backwards, but it works pretty well. The class of 2017 was the one class that was awkward for since the Oct PSAT was the roll out of the new-format SAT/PSAT. But for any other class, it works pretty nicely. 

• Like 1

I'm hopeful for dd (a junior).  She's 99th percentile across the board.  She was sick, had just had surgery, and felt terrible so her scores were a little lower than hoped for though.  We are in an above average cut-off state but with the expectation that cutoffs will drop, she should be okay.  At the same time, I don't believe in counting chickens.  :001_cool:

• Like 1