Menu

Online providers - lessons learned?

We are just a couple of months into our first course with an online provider.  There is definitely a learning curve!  What lessons have you learned in your dealings with online providers?  (It's okay to mention specific providers, if you want, but general lessons learned are fine, too.)

That the first couple if weeks, in particular, are very Mom intensive . There was alot involved with open houses, downloading learning platforms, remembering passwords, learning how to navigate the platforms, etcetera and etc. he does have multiple classes, which made it harder. I should have had him make a notebook with a tab to keep all the technical info for each class.

• Like 3

Don't sign up your son/daughter for Honors classes with Wilson Hill because they actually mean "Honors" level when they say so :lol: .  All the Honors classes I had known before were simply a little bit more work so I figured it would be the right level for him. In hindsight he would have been better off in a regular level class although so far he is managing well.  I was a science major at a science and engineering university and my classes were at a lower level than this.  

The tests and homework usually add that extra step of thinking that makes everything easy if you know the material well but hard if you just memorize the book.  I am very pleased with the class and Christie Jester as teacher. Wilson Hill is a religious provider, we are a secular family and there have been no issues for us at all.  ( My son is also taking Algebra II, another good class and great teacher)

Having all online classes means he has to stay on top of when what is due, his time management has greatly improved.  He also has to take into account that if he asks a question, it will not be answered right away so putting this off until the night before the due date is not a wise plan of action.  Receiving a syllabus with all the assignments listed at the beginning of the year makes life much easier because he can plan.

For my son, asynchronous classes are by far the best of any format.

• Like 7

Lukeion: You will need a LOT of time dedicated, including dedicated computer/internet time for required recorded lessons to watch outside of "class." This became an issue when we were moving and didn't have internet for awhile! They're wonderful, but something to keep in mind. :)

Also, your kid will steal your computer at only the times when you really really need it.  So have a back up. ;)

• Like 5

Don't sign up your son/daughter for Honors classes with Wilson Hill because they actually mean "Honors" level when they say so :lol: .  All the Honors classes I had known before were simply a little bit more work so I figured it would be the right level for him. In hindsight he would have been better off in a regular level class although so far he is managing well.  I was a science major at a science and engineering university and my classes were at a lower level than this.  

The tests and homework usually add that extra step of thinking that makes everything easy if you know the material well but hard if you just memorize the book.  I am very pleased with the class and Christie Jester as teacher. Wilson Hill is a religious provider, we are a secular family and there have been no issues for us at all.  ( My son is also taking Algebra II, another good class and great teacher)

Having all online classes means he has to stay on top of when what is due, his time management has greatly improved.  He also has to take into account that if he asks a question, it will not be answered right away so putting this off until the night before the due date is not a wise plan of action.  Receiving a syllabus with all the assignments listed at the beginning of the year makes life much easier because he can plan.

For my son, asynchronous classes are by far the best of any format.

rdj2027, 

Thanks for this.  Our son is also taking Algebra 2 at WHA with Anne Stublen.  Our sons could be in the same class.  I am still debating what to do about Chemistry.  So, this is very good information regarding WHA Honors Chem.  I will take that into account when he is ready for Chem.  

I'm also glad to know that the school is working for you even if you are a secular family.  I've had secular members ask me that same question.  I usually say it shouldn't matter form our experiences with their math courses.  Although WHA is not asynchronous, we find enough added value in the 'live' classes that it makes following a schedule worth it.  The teachers have also been willing to work with us and bend the schedule for things like family vacations, for example.  That level of flexibility is something which normally he wouldn't at the CC where he is taking classes, for example.  And it has really been helping him work on time management balancing out assignments.

• Like 2

Read the syllabus. Read the syllabus before you register for the class, if possible.  Read the syllabus after you register. Read the syllabus before class begins. Read the syllabus after. Read the syllabus before you email the instructor.

When in doubt, read the syllabus, then read it again. 

(Yes, we had an embarrassing "Read the syllabus" incident...why do you ask?  ;) )

• Like 11

Read the syllabus. Read the syllabus before you register for the class, if possible.  Read the syllabus after you register. Read the syllabus before class begins. Read the syllabus after. Read the syllabus before you email the instructor.

When in doubt, read the syllabus, then read it again. 

(Yes, we had an embarrassing "Read the syllabus" incident...why do you ask?  ;) )

(Oops double post. It's such an important PSA, I'm going to leave it!  :laugh: )

• Like 6

Wilson Hill is a religious provider, we are a secular family and there have been no issues for us at all.

I'm also glad to know that the school is working for you even if you are a secular family.  I've have secular members ask me that same question.  I usually say it shouldn't matter form our experiences with their math courses. 

We have had a good experience with Wilson Hill as well. I agree that it most likely depends on the class, but for subjects such as math, it's been fine for us. Actually, it's been more than fine. We may be secular, but we hold many of the same values as the teachers - values that one would expect to be occasionally mentioned and discussed in class - work ethic, self-discipline, kindness and respect, etc. (Not that there are vast quantities of time spent discussing these things, just little comments here and there...)  

WTM Academy has been another win here. As with every provider, the teacher matters. We've learned to try to find out about how the teacher runs the class and how feedback will be given. We had prompt, helpful responses from the Academy when we realized a class wasn't going to be a good fit.  The class my daughter is taking instead has been excellent.

Contacting the teacher before the class starts can be a good way of assessing fit. 

Check refund policies. They differ from provider to provider. 

Some classes have work due BEFORE class starts. Check the syllabus and the website thoroughly before the class begins.

• Like 4

Ask the teacher whenever you don't know. Don't be afraid to ask parent questions.

Based on the syllabus of one of our online teachers, I've adjusted my thinking to "I" am still the primary teacher and I choose to use the online teacher as a tutor. I typically don't change anything, but it has changed my thinking so that if I feel something should be done a different way at my home, I can email the teacher on behalf of my son, or just change the assignment if it is something that is not turned in. No big changes here, but it has changed how I approach the class.

• Like 6

Derek,

my son is in Mr. Reini's class, both my son and I really like him.  I myself went to Catholic school so I am not against religion in school.  What I do have a problem with are explanations such as "our immune system works on account of God's order" (this was in a local co-op that I had toured when I was looking around for classes last year).  I simply do not believe that high schoolers are served well with explanations like this.  However, they were a private co-op, they stated they were a religious co-op so as far as I am concerned they can teach as they like but I would prefer my children to have a different type of education and thus not sign up with them.  However, from what I have seen in math and chemistry I would not hesitate to sign him up for biology or any other class.  My problem with some classes are that they probably live off debate/discussion (logic, English) and since we are in Japan the time difference makes live classes difficult for him.  He watches the archived classes and participates on the discussion boards but I don't think this will work for classes where student input is part of what makes the class.

• Like 1

If you desire to have most of your curriculum be secular, but are open to using vendors of faith, really understand your tolerance level.

Also, be aware that what may work with certain disciplines like science, English, or even economics, may not work in a class that tends to be more emotionally loaded, such as U.S. Government.

• Like 8

Swimmermom,

I am not sure if you are referring to me but yes, I agree with what you say.  That's why I always test the waters before I sign up even for subjects that should not contain much faith based discussion like math or chemistry.  There most certainly are places and curricula I would not use because religion underlies the actual teaching.  I am not sure yet what I will do for Government and Econ yet.  I initially considered the local high school for biology but they only do virtual labs. Neither AP nor community college at this point is a good fit.  Self-paced spells disaster so I am somewhat limited in my options.  I looked at VLACS because it would be free to us but for some reason I can't get excited about it, and schools like Laurel Springs seem to be more expensive for not much more in terms of content and delivery.  Oak Meadow looks like fun but I am not sure about the level of the classes.  

I will continue to look around.  Unfortunately this year is a really great year in terms of classes, it will be hard to match.  

If you desire to have most of your curriculum be secular, but are open to using vendors of faith, really understand your tolerance level.

Also, be aware that what may work with certain disciplines like science, English, or even economics, may not work in a class that tends to be more emotionally loaded, such as U.S. Government.

We have run into that problem this year.  We prefer that religious matters stay out of the classroom, and it has been quite "colorful" around here with an online class this term.  Being a "live and let live person," I still take exception to classes that continually present faith type discussion (let kids run wild sometimes on posts) in a science class.  It is tangential at the very least.

• Like 3

- Understand what the class will cover in-class and what your responsibilities as a teacher/parent will still be. (I.e., don't assume the class will cover all the bases for you & that once the technology issues are cleared up that you won't be needed. Even if the teacher is available for office hours or answers emails, it doesn't mean you as the parent won't have to help with an assignment sometimes or help quiz vocab, for example.)

- Know how much time the average student spends on the class outside of class time. Then, factor your student into that equation. Do they work faster/slower than the average student? Do they have the time to devote to the class? Do they understand the level of work involved? Do their other classes have enough wiggle room and are you willing to give that wiggle room up for your still-at-home classes when time gets tight for the online class?

- Does your kid do well with self-paced classes?

- Does he/she do better or worse with live teacher & live kid interaction?

- Can your schedule & internet support live classes?

We've learned many of the lessons that previous posters have already pointed out & echo them.

• Like 5

Totally agree with the advice above.

I'd recommend taking one class with a new provider at a time to start. We jumped in with two with one kid, and it was a lot. The learning curve was STEEP for one, and then made worse with two teachers and two different sets of expectations. Once we got the system, two was totally doable. But those first three weeks - WOW. LOL

• Like 2

1. Bookmark every website your student will need to access for class and assignments. Make sure they know all user names and passwords.

2. Create a google calendar for each student with all of their class meeting times. Set alarms until everyone is used to the schedule.

3. Invest in a good planner. At the end of each week, have your student write in the next week's assignments. If you don't know them all yet, at least write in placeholders like "math - 1 hour" or something similar so you know to save time in the schedule for future assignments. A couple of my student's teachers don't say what that week's assignments will be until the end of each class; others have every assignment mapped out in the syllabus for the whole year.

4. Print out every syllabus and keep them somewhere easily accessible!

5. Make sure you have every book/resource you will need well ahead of time.

6. Build time into the schedule for studying for tests, going over vocab, reading the text and taking notes, etc.

7. Have a back-up plan for those weeks when multiple teachers decide to schedule a test/essay/project and they are all due on the same day. Do you have flexible subjects that can be skipped that week? Will you work on the weekend? Can you work ahead in a class or two?

8. As a general rule, plan to complete assignments and turn them in at least one day before they are due. This way, if something comes up (sickness, tech issues, whatever), you have a cushion. If a quiz is due on Friday, for example, we will write it into the planner as due on Wednesday or Thursday.

9. Invest in a scanner that scans directly to pdf. We also invested in a laptop and a smart phone that can be used as a hot spot. We have done class in the car many times!

10. I check into each class management system a couple times a week to check grades and make sure we are correctly keeping track of assignments. So far nothing has been missed, but there have been a couple close calls!

• Like 11

1. Bookmark every website your student will need to access for class and assignments. Make sure they know all user names and passwords.

2. Create a google calendar for each student with all of their class meeting times. Set alarms until everyone is used to the schedule.

3. Invest in a good planner. At the end of each week, have your student write in the next week's assignments. If you don't know them all yet, at least write in placeholders like "math - 1 hour" or something similar so you know to save time in the schedule for future assignments. A couple of my student's teachers don't say what that week's assignments will be until the end of each class; others have every assignment mapped out in the syllabus for the whole year.

6. Build time into the schedule for studying for tests, going over vocab, reading the text and taking notes, etc.

7. Have a back-up plan for those weeks when multiple teachers decide to schedule a test/essay/project and they are all due on the same day. Do you have flexible subjects that can be skipped that week? Will you work on the weekend? Can you work ahead in a class or two?

8. As a general rule, plan to complete assignments and turn them in at least one day before they are due. This way, if something comes up (sickness, tech issues, whatever), you have a cushion. If a quiz is due on Friday, for example, we will write it into the planner as due on Wednesday or Thursday.

9. Invest in a scanner that scans directly to pdf. We also invested in a laptop and a smart phone that can be used as a hot spot. We have done class in the car many times!

10. I check into each class management system a couple times a week to check grades and make sure we are correctly keeping track of assignments. So far nothing has been missed, but there have been a couple close calls!

This. Totally. Wish I could like more than once!!

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing this!  It's great advice for students in college, as well!

• Like 1

I agree about a back up computer.  DD is working on an older computer.  It took me awhile to get mine and hers set up.  But it kept dying.  So DH bought a computer from work.  It dies more often than the older computer!  Poor girl has more computer crashes during class LOL.  But it stressed her out as it should.  This morning it died during presentation morning.....she got on mine, but her headphones have 2 plugs, mine only offers one, so she couldn't do her presentation today.  Ugh!!!  It has been way more mom intensive on some days than I wanted.  I feel like I need to be up and awake and ready to deal with crisis situations.  

My other issue is work load.  DD's class was 7th-12th grade.  But whoa(!), she has had a lot of assignments that required free internet searching(the filter we have was an issue....had to problem shoot how to let her do the work but not open up the internet world to her at age 12), and there have been reports/presentations that have added a lot to her week.  I feel like she needs to drop something else to give enough time to her online class.  I don't know how anyone can manage 5-6 online classes.  But DS did a fluff class and he's managed it well, but they have no weekly homework like DD's class which has 2-3 assignments a week.  I flubbed the instructions on one.  We didn't ask/clarify and she got a 60 on a report.  Another time the study video for a big test wasn't working and he didn't reply back until the day prior to the test.  At that point she was busy with other things.  So it has issues from time to time with tech not working.

If I had my ideal, I would start with a new computer.  I would ask questions as soon as I had a teacher email about workload/what to expect.  The syllabus didn't help us realize the level of work for DD's class.  She wants another year with this class(language) so now I know and can plan better for the workload.  Her used computer is getting a lot of new parts this week and hopefully by spring semester she won't have the issues we have had this fall.  

I also think a calendar for them to put assignments on.  Not a flip page calendar but a wall calendar.  DD knew she had a presentation coming up....but was shocked to learn today was the day.  She didn't prepare.  Will be interesting to listen to her presentation......

we found learning online to be a huge learning curve.  I would like to try other schools but not sure I can handle the stress of figuring out another place LOL

• Like 1

If you don't mind, I'd like to offer some observations as an online teacher. I'm a homeschooling mom who utilizes online courses for my own kids, so I have experience from all sides.

1. Realize that when you sign up for a course with an organization, you are agreeing to abide by their policies. Understand what the organization's policies are, read everything ahead of time, and don't expect the organization to change after your student begins taking classes. 

2. Along those same lines, be aware that teachers must abide by the organization's policies. A teacher must do what he/she has agreed upon in his/her contract, and that can mean there isn't complete freedom on how classes run, grading, syllabi, extra credit, exceptions, and so on. 

3. As someone has already stated, make sure that YOU read the course syllabus, not just once, but several times. Walk through the syllabus WITH your student. Explain to your student how it works and what is expected. Show your student how to check for updates to the syllabus, and expect them to do so. 

4. Again reiterating what someone else posted -- make certain your student has ALL needed books and supplies BEFORE class begins. If you have any questions about materials, contact the teacher before the course begins and ask. If there are specific books listed, make sure that you purchase the correct editions or translations. Often ISBNs are included on booklists if it is important. Those numbers are included for a reason. Yes, you can purchase used, but you need to make certain you are getting what is going to be used in class. Again, if you are not sure, ASK before classes begin.

5. Take the class seriously and make sure your student takes it seriously as well. Even if you do not plan to count the grade your student receives, you should still approach the coursework as though the grade matters. 

6. As with most things in life, your student will only get out of a course what he/she puts into it. If your student is supposed to watch a lecture, complete an assignment, or read something prior to attending a live online class, make sure he/she does so. From my experience, it is much more difficult to keep a class engaged online when students are not prepared than it is in real life (and that is hard enough). Online teachers usually put a great deal of time into class planning and slides, and have expectations that students will come prepared for what will be discussed/taught. Things fall apart quickly when students aren't prepared. 

7. Make absolutely certain that you have the correct technology available for your students before classes begin and check that technology regularly. If your student is expected to be on a webcam, make sure he/she has what is needed and that it works properly -- for the duration of the semester or year. If they need a microphone and you are told to use one with a USB, use a USB! Short-lived technical issues are a given with online courses, but expect that consistent issues will affect your student's grade -- especially if active participation is required.

8. Know that teachers are not contracted to be available to students and parents 24/7. The usual requirement is responding within 24-48 hours. Parents need to understand AND help their students understand that if an email is sent at 10:00PM to a teacher on a Sunday night, the teacher may not be available to respond until 10:00PM Tuesday night (which falls within a 48 hour time frame). If your student happens to be in the same time zone as the teacher, that may mean your student won't see the response until Wednesday morning. Which leads to . . . 

9. Make sure your student understands that waiting to complete an assignment until a teacher responds to a question is NOT acceptable. Students are expected to complete their work and turn it in on time regardless. 

10. I don't know of any online teachers who do what they do because they are making money hand over fist. For the most part, they are very busy people (often home schoolers themselves -- at least within the homeschooling realm) who love their subjects and love to teach. I care about my online students just as I do students I teach live. I want them to learn and want to see them succeed. Don't look at online teachers as the enemy. Allow them to come alongside you in your endeavor to educate your child in the best way possible. 

11. Life happens on BOTH sides of the computer screen. Online teachers understand that families experience difficulties. If you know of something, contact the teacher AHEAD of time. If it's something that simply could not have been avoided, let the teacher know as soon as possible. If your student is struggling, talk with the teacher immediately. It's so much easier to work with a student during a crisis or a difficult situation rather than dealing with the aftermath weeks or months later. (I hope this makes sense). Likewise, remember that your student's teachers have issues come up and can experience crisis as well. Students and parents don't know what might be going on in a teacher's life, so remember that any grace you extend will be very much appreciated by the teacher!

12. Asynchronous online classes can be FABULOUS. Several asynchronous classes, year after year, can really wear on a student. If you see that your student is beginning to struggle or not enjoying classes as much after a lot of asynchronous courses, he/she might need a break. Even the most enthusiastic teacher gets boring in lectures after you've watched 150+ lectures. It's always good to find a live class to mix in with the asynchronous classes if at all possible. Burnout is definitely something to watch for if your student has been doing a lot of asynchronous classes. 

There is much more I could add, but this is probably fine for now. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just trying to help those who are considering the online route. It's a GREAT option, and one I've been especially grateful is available for my own kids as well as for me to teach. 

• Like 14

10. I don't know of any online teachers who do what they do because they are making money hand over fist. For the most part, they are very busy people (often home schoolers themselves -- at least within the homeschooling realm) who love their subjects and love to teach. I care about my online students just as I do students I teach live. I want them to learn and want to see them succeed. Don't look at online teachers as the enemy. Allow them to come alongside you in your endeavor to educate your child in the best way possible. 

11. Life happens on BOTH sides of the computer screen. Online teachers understand that families experience difficulties. If you know of something, contact the teacher AHEAD of time. If it's something that simply could not have been avoided, let the teacher know as soon as possible. If your student is struggling, talk with the teacher immediately. It's so much easier to work with a student during a crisis or a difficult situation rather than dealing with the aftermath weeks or months later. (I hope this makes sense). Likewise, remember that your student's teachers have issues come up and can experience crisis as well. Students and parents don't know what might be going on in a teacher's life, so remember that any grace you extend will be very much appreciated by the teacher!

I like to share the love a bit with our online teachers.  My dd is taking an online biology class.  When she does a lab at home, I snap a photo on my phone and email it to the teacher, just so she can appreciate a bit how things are going.  I get big thank yous and follow up questions from her, so it's nice all around.  

• Like 3

I know, I know... this is standard internet safety, but keep the computer where it can be seen.  My son likes to check email and watch sports clips during the lecture.  "I can still hear," he claims, as he misses the white board comments and the (often) excellent and engaged chatter happening regarding the lecture. Have caught him at this twice this semester in his Lit/English class and am not really sure how to handle it since he does regularly check back in and scroll through what he's missed (which genuinely takes him a nano-second or two), adding his own comments when appropriate.  

• Like 1

I know, I know... this is standard internet safety, but keep the computer where it can be seen.  My son likes to check email and watch sports clips during the lecture.  "I can still hear," he claims, as he misses the white board comments and the (often) excellent and engaged chatter happening regarding the lecture. Have caught him at this twice this semester in his Lit/English class and am not really sure how to handle it since he does regularly check back in and scroll through what he's missed (which genuinely takes him a nano-second or two), adding his own comments when appropriate.  

It's also good for during homework time as well. Assignments online took much longer when she could take her laptop and "work" anywhere. Work on stories she was writing, work on Skyping with friends, work on anything but what she was supposed to be working on.....   :glare:  :toetap05:

• Like 3

It's also good for during homework time as well. Assignments online took much longer when she could take her laptop and "work" anywhere. Work on stories she was writing, work on Skyping with friends, work on anything but what she was supposed to be working on..... :glare: :toetap05:

Yes, it's amazing how little evening and weekend work Ds has to do now that the computer is in the living room.
  • Like 1

daijobu -- That is a wonderful idea about taking pictures and sharing them with the teacher! I would love to see things like that from my students.

It's funny that my dd objects to this and tells me she doesn't see why her teacher would want to see these things.

Even if you are familiar with a provider, check out the instructor. There have been a few classes that had the class name/description, but no instructor assigned. We reasoned that we have had a variety of instructors from that provider and all were good.

I spend hours searching for a good fit for my Dd1 early college instructors / classes (rate my professor, ect), but didn't insist on knowing who was teaching the younger dd online writing classes. One writing class was a huge fail, and one was a hit.

Edited by Silver Brook
  • Like 2

If you don't mind, I'd like to offer some observations as an online teacher. I'm a homeschooling mom who utilizes online courses for my own kids, so I have experience from all sides.

1. Realize that when you sign up for a course with an organization, you are agreeing to abide by their policies. Understand what the organization's policies are, read everything ahead of time, and don't expect the organization to change after your student begins taking classes. 

2. Along those same lines, be aware that teachers must abide by the organization's policies. A teacher must do what he/she has agreed upon in his/her contract, and that can mean there isn't complete freedom on how classes run, grading, syllabi, extra credit, exceptions, and so on. 

3. As someone has already stated, make sure that YOU read the course syllabus, not just once, but several times. Walk through the syllabus WITH your student. Explain to your student how it works and what is expected. Show your student how to check for updates to the syllabus, and expect them to do so. 

4. Again reiterating what someone else posted -- make certain your student has ALL needed books and supplies BEFORE class begins. If you have any questions about materials, contact the teacher before the course begins and ask. If there are specific books listed, make sure that you purchase the correct editions or translations. Often ISBNs are included on booklists if it is important. Those numbers are included for a reason. Yes, you can purchase used, but you need to make certain you are getting what is going to be used in class. Again, if you are not sure, ASK before classes begin.

5. Take the class seriously and make sure your student takes it seriously as well. Even if you do not plan to count the grade your student receives, you should still approach the coursework as though the grade matters. 

6. As with most things in life, your student will only get out of a course what he/she puts into it. If your student is supposed to watch a lecture, complete an assignment, or read something prior to attending a live online class, make sure he/she does so. From my experience, it is much more difficult to keep a class engaged online when students are not prepared than it is in real life (and that is hard enough). Online teachers usually put a great deal of time into class planning and slides, and have expectations that students will come prepared for what will be discussed/taught. Things fall apart quickly when students aren't prepared. 

7. Make absolutely certain that you have the correct technology available for your students before classes begin and check that technology regularly. If your student is expected to be on a webcam, make sure he/she has what is needed and that it works properly -- for the duration of the semester or year. If they need a microphone and you are told to use one with a USB, use a USB! Short-lived technical issues are a given with online courses, but expect that consistent issues will affect your student's grade -- especially if active participation is required.

8. Know that teachers are not contracted to be available to students and parents 24/7. The usual requirement is responding within 24-48 hours. Parents need to understand AND help their students understand that if an email is sent at 10:00PM to a teacher on a Sunday night, the teacher may not be available to respond until 10:00PM Tuesday night (which falls within a 48 hour time frame). If your student happens to be in the same time zone as the teacher, that may mean your student won't see the response until Wednesday morning. Which leads to . . . 

9. Make sure your student understands that waiting to complete an assignment until a teacher responds to a question is NOT acceptable. Students are expected to complete their work and turn it in on time regardless. 

12. Asynchronous online classes can be FABULOUS. Several asynchronous classes, year after year, can really wear on a student. If you see that your student is beginning to struggle or not enjoying classes as much after a lot of asynchronous courses, he/she might need a break. Even the most enthusiastic teacher gets boring in lectures after you've watched 150+ lectures. It's always good to find a live class to mix in with the asynchronous classes if at all possible. Burnout is definitely something to watch for if your student has been doing a lot of asynchronous classes. 

There is much more I could add, but this is probably fine for now. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just trying to help those who are considering the online route. It's a GREAT option, and one I've been especially grateful is available for my own kids as well as for me to teach. 

This is true of IRL classes, as well. I love to teach and offer some local classes, but I'm too the point of raising my prices or not offering some classes because of many of the problems listed above. I'll also add:

Outsourced classes can be very helpful in many family situations, but they won't 1.) save time (most require 5-6 hours a week from the student, at least) or 2.) solve a problem where the student is seriously behind in the subject area unless the class is geared to remedial teaching.

This is true of IRL classes, as well. I love to teach and offer some local classes, but I'm too the point of raising my prices or not offering some classes because of many of the problems listed above. I'll also add:

Outsourced classes can be very helpful in many family situations, but they won't 1.) save time (most require 5-6 hours a week from the student, at least) or 2.) solve a problem where the student is seriously behind in the subject area unless the class is geared to remedial teaching.

I'm with you. I got started teaching locally to afford local classes. It made sense for me to be teaching while mine were in class (sometimes with me), so that I could get the sort of thing I wanted for mine, even when they were younger. I taught what I love, and mine got classes with people who love areas I don't.

The stories I could tell about my local classes though:

• A kid who had been kicked out of three schools for attacking teachers and other students.
  • A teen who was basically reading at only a 2-3rd grade level in a class that required quite a bit more than that. The parent signed them up with the hope that they would be motivated to learn to read better. An acquaintance who had tutored him told me that he had extensive learning challenges that would only improve with one-on-one work, but his family was tight on funds and decided to stop tutoring and put him into a class. He got extremely frustrated and basically went silent on me by the end.
  • Parents who told my superior that they wanted open book tests because the level I was teach was too difficult (she caved and also took the grading away from me), and then the same parents were furious when they tested poorly on a national exam and flunked a placement exam with an online provider.
  • Parents who were working their children in the family business nearly all day, so they rarely did their homework. Their older brother was a homeschool dropout.

Now I teach for a private school that caters to homeschoolers, and even though there's still drama, it's much more structured with school-wide policies. I give zeros, and that's that. I have superiors who deal with the heavy cases and back me up.

Frankly I'm done with the local classes. Call me a crabby, middle-aged teacher, but I like more structure.

I think the biggest key to happiness with online and other outside providers is doing what you can to make sure that their expectations and your expectations align as much as they can.  

I found that outside courses drain a lot of time and energy out of our day.  Because of that, a class (or activity) must meet a lot of my goals to be worth the opportunity cost.  I mostly do outside providers for solid academic subjects.  If I'm signing up for an enrichment activity, I'd not be happy if it had a lot of homework that took away from what I was doing.

When I taught in coops, it seemed that some of the parents wanted me to take all of the responsibility for the subject, but were not going to do anything to make sure that their kid did assignments.  When I did call them to discuss the fact that their kid was pretty much failing a coop English class, the response was pretty much that they were going to them them fail.  I had a really hard time understanding that, especially when it was with a kid who could have really improved his writing if he'd had some hand holding to help him see what he needed to do.  

• Like 1

I think the biggest key to happiness with online and other outside providers is doing what you can to make sure that their expectations and your expectations align as much as they can.

I found that outside courses drain a lot of time and energy out of our day. Because of that, a class (or activity) must meet a lot of my goals to be worth the opportunity cost. I mostly do outside providers for solid academic subjects. If I'm signing up for an enrichment activity, I'd not be happy if it had a lot of homework that took away from what I was doing.

When I taught in coops, it seemed that some of the parents wanted me to take all of the responsibility for the subject, but were not going to do anything to make sure that their kid did assignments. When I did call them to discuss the fact that their kid was pretty much failing a coop English class, the response was pretty much that they were going to them them fail. I had a really hard time understanding that, especially when it was with a kid who could have really improved his writing if he'd had some hand holding to help him see what he needed to do.

I definitely have found matches and mismatches in what I expect and what parents are committed to in co-op classes. So far we have been fairly inline with our online class expectations.

My one exception was Write@Home. Dd took the first year middle school course, and while it took that off my plate and wasn't too demanding time-wise my expectations of the class were different than what was delivered. I thought there would be more instruction in writing structure, where there was mostly feedback about style with a one-page instruction text each week. I should have know that a completely asynchronous course with no text could not deliver much in the way of instruction.