Menu

Would you mind sharing the titles of your English courses?

Kendall

I am going to list literature as a separate 1 semester credit (though we do it half the time for a year).  I kept literature separate in practice except for short stories, poetry, and sometimes a writing topic based off their current Lit read.   English was largely composition and literary devices, rhetoric topics, analysis, grammar as needed. 

English 9 seems pretty bland

AP English Language and Composition works for that year, but English 9 and 10 I'm not sure what to call.  

Thoughts?

What did you call your English courses?

Thanks!

I am going to list literature as a separate 1 semester credit (though we do it half the time for a year).  I kept literature separate in practice except for short stories, poetry, and sometimes a writing topic based off their current Lit read.   English was largely composition and literary devices, rhetoric topics, analysis, grammar as needed. 

English 9 seems pretty bland

AP English Language and Composition works for that year, but English 9 and 10 I'm not sure what to call.  

Thoughts?

What did you call your English courses?

Thanks!

English 9: Introduction to Literature and Composition

English 10: Roots of Steampunk Literature

English 11: Literature

Composition I  [dual enrolled at CC]

Rather bland.  I think the transcript just says English 9, English 10, etc.  The longer title is in the course descriptions.

• Like 1

Here is what my daughter did throughout her high school years.  Some of these were done at home, others at a homeschooling resource center and still others at the local community college.  As you can see, some of my daughter's years were heavier in Literature, others were heavier in writing (and one year only had 0.75 credits while other years had 1.5 credits).

9th:
World Literature from 1700 to 2000 (0.5 credits)
Literature: Fantasy (0.5 credits)
Literature: Greek Plays (0.25 credits)

10th:
College Preparatory Essay Writing (0.5 credits)
Literature: Middle English (0.25 credits)

11th:
WR 121: Comp. - Intro. to Argument (0.5 credits)
WR 122: Comp. - Style and Argument (0.5 credits)
ENG 109: Survey of World Literature (0.5 credits)

12th:
ENG 215: Latino/a Literature (0.5 credits)
ENG 250: Intro. to Folklore & Mythology (0.5 credits)
WR 123: Composition - Research (0.5 credits)

Regards,

Kareni

As Sebastian said, the course titles on my son's transcript were generic. 

English I (which we did at home)

Honors English III (an online course)

Freshman Composition I (dual enrollment)

Freshman Composition II (dual enrollment)

In the course descriptions, I provided details about the theme of each course and what works he read.

Edited to add: For what it's worth, I gave only one credit in English per year, even for the years in which that credit included literature and composition and even if, in practice, my son spent much more than one credit's worth of time on that class.

English 9

English 10

English 11

English 12

... nice and boring.

The course descriptions give the details of what was emphasized, but it doesn't fall into nice clear boxes for a transcript. Also most of those years include outside/online classes as part of the English credit. If I add all the credit pieces, it would be 1.5-2 credits per year, but I only give one credit for English as I don't feel that we are doing anything above and beyond what we should.

• Like 2

Oldest dd had a more Great Books approach. I listed hers as:

World Literature and Composition I

World Literature and Composition II

American Literature and Composition

Modern and British Literature and Composition

Current senior dd has had classes at home and dual enrolled. She has:

World Literature and Composition (9)

US Literature (10)

CC Composition (10)

CC Advanced Composition (11)

CC Intro to Shakespeare (12)

Literature Intensive (12)

Mine were very basic:  English 9, English 10, English 11, English 12.  (Although a couple of my kids took AP English their senior year at the local PS).  I also had a "Literature" for 1 year, which was really a compilation (of all four years) of literature over and above what would normally be covered in a typical English class.   Within each basic English course, I split it into three sections in the description:  Grammar, Writing, and Literature.

Mine are really boring:

English 9

English 10

English 11

English 12

Here are my course descriptions:

English 9

A college-preparatory course teaching expository writing, editing, research skills, grammar, and vocabulary. Texts:  Communicating Effectively, Book One, by Rod and Staff Publishers, Inc.; and Writing With Skill 1 by Susan Wise Bauer.

English 10 (Preparation for the AP English Literature and Composition Exam)

A college-preparatory course teaching literature interpretation, research skills, expository and persuasive writing, interpretive speech writing, and preparation for the AP English Literature and Composition Exam and the SAT Literature Subject Exam. Texts:  Writing With Skill 2 and Writing With Skill 3 by Susan Wise Bauer; How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster; Barron’s AP English Literature and Composition, 2nd Edition by George Ehrenhaft; and CliffsNotes AP English Literature and Composition, 2nd Edition by Allan Casson.  Video Instruction:  Teaching the Classics:  A Socratic Method for Literary Education by Adam and Missy Andrews.

English 11 (Preparation for the AP English Language and Composition Exam)

A college-preparatory course teaching research skills, expository writing, interpretive speech writing, and rhetoric, and preparation for the AP English Language and Composition Exam. Texts:  A Rulebook for Arguments by Anthony Weston, Biblical Worldview Rhetoric by Shaunna K. Howat; and CliffsNotes AP English Language and Composition, 3rd Edition by Barbara V. Swovelin.

English 12

A college-preparatory course teaching expository writing, editing, research skills, grammar, and vocabulary. Texts:  Communicating Effectively, Book Two, by Rod and Staff Publishers, Inc.; The New Oxford Guide to Writing by Thomas S. Kane; and They Say I Say:  The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing, 2nd Edition by Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein.

Ds wrote/is writing papers, essays, and speeches (including a two speeches that were basically research papers), and will write a research paper next spring.  I went back and forth between "college-preparatory" and "college-level" for the courses that were AP prep, but I settled on "prep" because ds was not in a class for lit discussion, and because I used WWS in high school.  Ds got 5s on both of the English APs.

HTH,

GardenMom

Ds was at the public high school for the first semester of 9th grade, so I used their course catalog title:

Lit and Comp 9 - (9th grade, 1st semester)

Ancient World Lit. & Comp. (9th grade, 2nd semester, home study)  -  I included years covered in course description

AP English Language and Composition (10th grade - no brainer)

AP English Literature and Composition (11th grade - no brainer)

English 12 - this is the title that will remain because as of yet, I am not sure there is a discernible pattern in our literature choices:

1.  The Comedy of Errors

2.  The Turn of the Screw

3.  One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

4.  Orlando

5.  Mother Courage and Her Children (thru mid-November)

One thing I am including in the course descriptions is a short paragraph for the discipline that explains our approach/philosophy.

This may alleviate the need to have really scintillating course titles.

Ds was at the public high school for the first semester of 9th grade, so I used their course catalog title:

Lit and Comp 9 - (9th grade, 1st semester)

Ancient World Lit. & Comp. (9th grade, 2nd semester, home study)  -  I included years covered in course description

AP English Language and Composition (10th grade - no brainer)

AP English Literature and Composition (11th grade - no brainer)

English 12 - this is the title that will remain because as of yet, I am not sure there is a discernible pattern in our literature choices:

1.  The Comedy of Errors

2.  The Turn of the Screw

3.  One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

4.  Orlando

5.  Mother Courage and Her Children (thru mid-November)

One thing I am including in the course descriptions is a short paragraph for the discipline that explains our approach/philosophy.

This may alleviate the need to have really scintillating course titles.

I read this too quickly and read the bolded as your course title:  English 12:The Comedy of Errors.

:lol:

• Like 3

I read this too quickly and read the bolded as your course title:  English 12:The Comedy of Errors.

:lol:

You have no idea how closely this describes our entire homeschooling experience in high school. :D

One could have fun subtitling one's homeschooling experience with great works of literature.  Ours might have been War and Peace!  Though now I guess it's Gone with the Wind.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I was not at all creative with titles, LOL. Honors English I, II, III, IV, and then in the course description I listed topics covered and texts. We used AP texts and tended to follow their syllabi, but we can't get the tests locally for AP English, and it wasn't something we were willing to travel long distances to get, so I called it Honors which it justly deserved, and I believe I gave enough explanation in the course descriptions that the colleges understood that it was studied at the AP level.

• Like 1

We just use Honors English 1 with Ancient Literature, Honors English 2 with Medieval Literature, and so on. 

Literature is assumed to be part of English 1, 2, etc so the only reason I included it was to show that we coordinated our literature and history studies. 

• Like 1