Menu

*Women Only* Female Surgery Advice/Experiences/Etc. Needed

Butter

I've had a crazy week.  On Monday I was diagnosed with severe bronchitis.  Even on cough syrup with codeine I continued to cough pretty hard.  On Wednesday I coughed so hard my uterus prolapsed all the way into my vagina.  I ended up in the ER (having a doctor say, "I can't find your cervix. You cervix is definitely not where it is supposed to be." is one of the stranger moments of my life).  They confirmed what I thought was going on was and had me see an OB/Gyn the next morning.  I didn't have an OB since I was just going to my PCP for well woman stuff.

Yesterday I saw the OB and she said the uterine prolapse actually isn't the worst part of it.  My bladder is out of place, too.  I've had stress incontinence for years and it has gotten worse, but I figured I'm getting older and I have four vaginal births so it was normal.  Apparently the extreme I've had is not normal.

So the plan is to have a vaginal hysterectomy and a bladder repair using transobturator tape.  I have to jump through the insurance hoops so even though the OB could just look and see that's what I needed (she gave me a choice about the hysterectomy and I said go ahead and take it out - husband had a V 6 years ago and I am long done having kids), I have to first have a urodynamics test.  I'm set up for that on the 20th and then pre-op with the OB on the 29th and surgery probably the first or second week of November depending on scheduling at the hospital.

This means I have to spend the next month with my uterus hanging down to the entrance of my vagina.  It's not dangerous, but it doesn't feel very nice (actually, it burns a bit like it's getting chaffed in there).

Anyway, for anyone who has had a hysterectomy and/or transobturator tape, please share any advice, experiences, what I can expect, etc.  I'm really calm about what surgical procedures they'll be doing.  I feel like they are exactly what I need.  I'm pretty anxious about the surgery itself and recovery, however.  Feel free to PM if you are not comfortable posting.

Go to HysterSisters site. They will have tons of information and support for you. At the end of August, I had a laproscopic, vaginally assisted hysterectomy (including ovaries) for endometrial cancer. The pain has not been that bad, the recovery seems to take awhile in terms of fatigue, and I had 2 UTI's post surgery. I'm still on lifting restrictions for the next 6 weeks. Good luck and I am so sorry you are having to go through this!

No advice, but can the bladder prolapse be treated without hysterectomy? Or are there other incisions that warrant hysterectomy?

It can, but the uterus is also prolapsed pretty badly and that needs to be fixed, too.  Even if they tacked it up (also would be surgery), it would fall again at some point and require further surgery.  When my uterus fell into my vagina it twisted so my cervix is point kind of up and to the right.

is there anything they can do to keep the uterus in place in the meantime? Back in the day they used pessaries or something like that, right?

Sadly, no.  A pessary needs to be fitted and by the time I got it and everything, I'd be having the surgery anyway.  Also, I'm super sensitive to stuff inside my vagina.  I wanted to scratch my eyes out the one month I was on the vaginal ring for birth control.  I could feel it the whole time.  Even if it was an option I'm not sure I'd go with it (unless I was not completely done having babies because that that's about the only option).

Go to HysterSisters site. They will have tons of information and support for you. At the end of August, I had a laproscopic, vaginally assisted hysterectomy (including ovaries) for endometrial cancer. The pain has not been that bad, the recovery seems to take awhile in terms of fatigue, and I had 2 UTI's post surgery. I'm still on lifting restrictions for the next 6 weeks. Good luck and I am so sorry you are having to go through this!

Thank you very much for that link and the information about the experience you are having.

I am just 8 weeks out from an abdominal hysterectomy. I jad my last post-op appointment this past Friday and got cleared to get back to normal lifting, exercise, etc.  I second the Hystersisters site. There is a ton of information there, both in the forums and in the articles area. It was a huge help to me on just about every single thing I could think to ask, all the way down to what to pack to take to the hospital :)  Also, PM me if you like :)

Recovery wasn't horrible, but it takes time. If your op is a vaginal one, recovery should be shorter. Good luck and hang in there!

• Like 1

I hope you get it resolved so you are not uncomfortable for the entire month.  Is there any temporary option your OB can take for that month to relieve the discomfort?

It can, but the uterus is also prolapsed pretty badly and that needs to be fixed, too.  Even if they tacked it up (also would be surgery), it would fall again at some point and require further surgery.  When my uterus fell into my vagina it twisted so my cervix is point kind of up and to the right.

Sadly, no.  A pessary needs to be fitted and by the time I got it and everything, I'd be having the surgery anyway.  Also, I'm super sensitive to stuff inside my vagina.  I wanted to scratch my eyes out the one month I was on the vaginal ring for birth control.  I could feel it the whole time.  Even if it was an option I'm not sure I'd go with it (unless I was not completely done having babies because that that's about the only option).

Thank you very much for that link and the information about the experience you are having.

I hope you get it resolved so you are not uncomfortable for the entire month.  Is there any temporary option your OB can take for that month to relieve the discomfort?

No, there really isn't aside from taking Tylenol.  The OB apologized about that.  I think the idea a pp had of using some lube will help with the chaffing.  I have noticed the spot that was really feeling like it was on fire is resolving.  I'm pretty sure that's from the ER doc jamming me with the speculum so thankfully that pain won't last much longer.  Even before he tried to put it in he said he could see my uterus hanging there are the entrance to my vagina and yet he still tried to put in the speculum right into my poor uterus.  He quickly gave up, probably partly because I kept repeating "ow, ow, ow."  The OB/Gyn used a speculum the next day, but she was extremely gentle and knew just how and where to guide it.

I haven't had those procedures, but I have worked extensively on a gyne floor of a hospital.  Most people say the pain isn't as bad as they thought it might be.  They are not moving around without pain and doing jumps by any means though, there is pain.

You'll have a catheter during surgery.  After a certain number of hours they'll take it out.  The number of hours depends on the doctor's orders and sometimes vary. 

Someone will come in and take your vitals every 8 hours or so as long as they are normal.

After surgery when you're feeling stable you'll be asked to get up and walk.  At first it will just be standing up near the bed, then a few steps to the bathroom.  If you're up and walking within a few hours out of recovery you'll be doing very well. Some people are still struggling after 48 hours.  Keep in mind the drugs will make you woozy. You might still be too swollen to pee.  They'll measure your urine output. 

A tech (usually a student nurse or a college graduate getting medical experience trying to get into medical school with an Advanced CNA certificate) will come in with a little ultrasound machine, feel for your pelvic bone, go about two fingers above it, and scan your bladder three times.  The bigger the number the more urine is in there, if it's too big and you cannot pee they'll reinsert a catheter.  You'll get such quick relief you'll be glad for it.

When you can urinate normally, you might find you have to do so frequently because everything is swollen.

When you're doing much better they'll remove the IV, switch to oral pain medicine, get you walking a normal amount.

If you have ovaries removed too you'll start getting menopause symptoms due to hormone changes.  In some people this seems instantaneous and huge, others don't mention it at all.

That's all I can think of right now.  Bed is calling.

• Like 3

I would think you should be able to use a pesseary temporarily.

after having forceps do damage, My female gyn wanted to do a hysterectomy with reconstruction. (I can't think what it's called. I was  ripped between rectum and vagina, and vagina and uretha. so things would protude, some minor prolapse, bladder not where it belonged, incontenence, etc.)  the idea made me uncomfortable even though I wasn't having any more children.

I ended up going with a female urologist - who also had more extensive repairs planned. (I originally went to her for a 2nd opinon on technique.) she said as soon as she put the uterus where it belonged, everything else popped back into place.  she used the webbing, and did repair where there were hernias so everything would stay where it belonged. It's been six years, and everything is still great.

the worst post surgery pain - was a killer migraine.  the nurse didn't have permission to give me anything stronger than she already had.  I did ice packs on the back of my neck, and cool cloths on forehead and throat.   I did end up with a kidney infection several weeks post surgery.  but, . . . I came out of recovery to find out my mother was on a lower floor . . . great.  I can't even have ONE day of caring for myself.  I was not able to spend any time recovering (and when I went to see her, I had nurses helping me walk, then act like nothing was wrong because I didn't want her to know. it was none of her business. 

It was a very intense - v.e.r.y. intense - time. My mother actually passed away two months later.  as soon as I finally got her settled, medically stable, and things were calming down.

eta: my mom had the hysterectomy to resolve her incontence.  it didn't work. might have been part of my skepticism on technique.

There are physical therapists that deal with bladder prolapse.  I don't know how much they could help in such an extensive situation as yours, but it might be worth a referral if they can get things comfortable before the surgery.  Exercises similar to the bridge pose in yoga can rearrange things to be more comfortable for a while.  PM me if you want more details.

• Like 2

(((hugs)) been there done that.

histersisters.com is a must

plan for a longer recovery than your doc requires (I was not prepared for longer than 6 weeks- I had restrictions for 12)

take any help offered or recovery will be longer

Sadly, no.  A pessary needs to be fitted and by the time I got it and everything, I'd be having the surgery anyway.  

I've had a pessary in the past, and it was fitted in one office visit.  I walked out with it that very day.  Just thought I'd mention it.  I was skeeved out by the thought of it, too, but it ended up not being as bad as I thought it would be, and it pretty much immediately corrected my problem. 

• Like 1

I haven't had those procedures, but I have worked extensively on a gyne floor of a hospital.

Thank you for describing what you have seen.  They will be leaving my ovaries so I don't need to worry about surgical menopause.  The catheter/peeing things kind of freak me out.  Knowing what might happen ahead of time is useful.

There is a sea sponge tampon meant for vaginal prolapse.  Look at Jade and Pearl dot com.  here's an article about it

http://www.intuition-physician.com/thoughts-on-health-faq-uterine-prolapse-or-thanks-a-lot-gravity/

I actually used sea sponges for a while during menstruation a few years ago.  Interesting that they can be used for prolapse.

I ended up going with a female urologist - who also had more extensive repairs planned. (I originally went to her for a 2nd opinon on technique.) she said as soon as she put the uterus where it belonged, everything else popped back into place.  she used the webbing, and did repair where there were hernias so everything would stay where it belonged. It's been six years, and everything is still great.

I'm glad everything has stayed in place for you ever since.  I'm sorry it happened during an extra stressful time, though.

Hugs! No experience but you'd think they would do an emergency procedure given the pain and discomfort. I guess they can't do surgery while you are sick with bronchitis. Take it easy and rest, dear heart.

Yeah, the bronchitis is definitely an issue.  I'm much better, but still coughing.  I probably wouldn't be able to have surgery anyway for a couple more weeks because they really don't want to intubate someone with a cough unless it's a true emergency.  It sounds like the insurance would approve the hysterectomy now, but the bladder repair requires the further testing for them to approve it.  Because of the bronchitis, having to do the testing is really only delaying everything a couple extra weeks.

the fatigue was the biggest issue post-op. but that was only for a few days.

I don't like to stay down even when I'm not well.  I think that's going to be a big issue for me.

There are physical therapists that deal with bladder prolapse.  I don't know how much they could help in such an extensive situation as yours, but it might be worth a referral if they can get things comfortable before the surgery.  Exercises similar to the bridge pose in yoga can rearrange things to be more comfortable for a while.  PM me if you want more details.

I will look into that.  Thanks!

(((hugs)) been there done that.

histersisters.com is a must

plan for a longer recovery than your doc requires (I was not prepared for longer than 6 weeks- I had restrictions for 12)

take any help offered or recovery will be longer

I've been poking around hystersisters and it does seem to be a goldmine of information.  My dad was trying to figure out how to send my mom to stay with me for a while (I live in TX, they live in MD), but I convinced him not to do that because my dad just had surgery (successful!) to remove pancreatic cancer and is about to have a few more rounds of chemo to make sure no cancer cells got into his system during the surgery.  He needs my mom, too, right now.  Luckily I have several friends here who are willing to help in any way they can, both through church and taekwondo.  Honestly, this is probably the time in my life when I have the most people willing to drop everything and help me (and likewise, I would do the same for them) than I have ever had.  It's hard to ask for - or accept - help, though.

I've had a pessary in the past, and it was fitted in one office visit.  I walked out with it that very day.  Just thought I'd mention it.  I was skeeved out by the thought of it, too, but it ended up not being as bad as I thought it would be, and it pretty much immediately corrected my problem. 

The OB/Gyn once she examined me didn't really seem to think a pessary was even really possible.  At this point the uterus is sitting right even with, and if I cough protrudes from, the entrance of the vagina.  I might call, though, just to be sure because this'll be a pretty long month and even though things in there drive me insane, I could handle a month if I just knew there was an end point.

Thank you everyone for advice, comments, and hugs!  I appreciate it.

• Like 1

I kept my ovaries too. As for the catheter, really I didn't even notice it. The worst part of that was peeling off the sticky bandage thing holding the tube in place. I even managed without narcotics, since they make he horribly nauseated, and got through with regular Tylenol and Aleve.

• Like 1

:grouphug:

Just in case you can move things forward....I haven't had a hysterectomy but for my back surgery I was able to have an epidural instead of being intubated because I had a cold but desperately wanted my surgery over, this was in the US. It worked really well that time, for delivery purposes something always went wrong.

• Like 1

Maybe you should learn to knit or crochet. That would keep you off your feet but busy for a few weeks. Sorry you are dealing with this. Being a man sure would be awesome some days.

• Like 1

have you looked up yoga poses for prolapse?  some of them are beginner level, and they could help you be more comfortable until your surgery.

http://www.womenfitness.net/yoga_uterus.htm has written descriptions of the pose, but you can look up the pose name and get more information.

yoga.com is a good site - as they have the poses, then if you click on for more information, it will show you exactly which muscles are being used.

• Like 1