Menu

Sci Fi book recommendations

JustEm

My bil's birthday is next week and I need gift ideas. He is 25 and has just gotten into reading. I mean he literally read his first book by choice for the first time within the last few months. Now he can't put them down. He's reading sci Fi but I don't really know what he's already read aside from Under the Dome and Ender's Game series.

I'll ask his wife what he's read but in the meantime can the Hive give me ideas for what great sci Fi books to get him.

My husband's absolutely favorite Sci-Fi book is "Gateway" by Frederick Pohl.  I understand they're going to make it into a movie or TV miniseries or something.  Should be interesting.

My husband also loves anything by Heinlein or Gibson. 

Here's a nice list of the 25Best Sci-Fi books:

http://bestsciencefictionbooks.com/top-25-best-science-fiction-books.php

Edited to add:  I enjoyed Asimov's Robot series. 

• Like 1

Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven

This book (Jerry Pournelle was co-author BTW) is one of the books that I have read until it fell apart, bought a new copy, and read that one until it fell apart as well. I first read it at age 11 or so.

I tend to forget about it in sci-fi lists because I tend to think more about the future, but it is a fantastic book.

• Like 2

Science Fiction is generally more about ideas than about character development, so it often works better in short story form than novel form.  And, especially as he's new to reading, so may not know what authors he likes, I'd recommend one of the "Year's Best Science Fiction" short story anthologies.

The Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson

The Left Hand of Darkness, or The Disposessed, gy LeGuin.

Generally anything by Arthur C Clarke

The Dune series (though the new ones are not so great but there are still quite a few of them.)

Oh my. I read that so long ago, I'd forgotten about it.  Great book.

• Like 1

This book (Jerry Pournelle was co-author BTW) is one of the books that I have read until it fell apart, bought a new copy, and read that one until it fell apart as well. I first read it at age 11 or so.

I tend to forget about it in sci-fi lists because I tend to think more about the future, but it is a fantastic book.

I also have two tattered copies!

And now I have to read it again....

• Like 1

I'm gonna second The Dispossessed, which is on my list of favorite books ever. Let me think, what else is there?

Wild Seed by Octavia Butler

The House of the Scorpion

The Three-Body Problem

Ancillary Justice

Fool's War

Hammered by Elizabeth Bear

Babel-17

Snow Crash

Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor

You pretty much can't go wrong with this list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_joint_winners_of_the_Hugo_and_Nebula_awards

Also, though he's not on this particular list, I love Jack McDevitt! His Alex Benedict series is my favorite. It starts with: http://www.amazon.com/Talent-War-Jack-McDevitt/dp/B000UP898U/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

• Like 1

Wait. I'm supposed to buy my BILs birthday gifts?

In dh's family we give bday gifts and have a simple dinner and dessert for everyone. Shared bday months get combined. We don't exchange at Christmas though. I like my bil and enjoy giving books as gifts. So I leapt at the opportunity to get a new reader a quality book.

• Like 2