Menu

Do Pantene products make you itch?

Tiramisu

I've been feeling very itchy lately. I thought it could be allergies. Then today I decided to use baby shampoo today instead of the Pantene shampoo and conditioner combo I've been using and I'm not itching. 

I remember that my mom once told me once that Pantene makes her head itch, so I was wondering if anyone else has had this reaction.

Now I'm wondering what I can use. In middle age my mom started developing more allergies to beauty products so maybe I'll follow the same path. I already developed the same reaction to sulfites. 

YES! I hate Pantene. I'm sensitive to sodium lauryl sulfate - I even have to buy special toothpaste that doesn't have it. Sodium laureth sulfate doesn't bother me in the least, even though it sounds very similar, and lots of other shampoo brands use it or other gentler detergents instead. Not sure, of course, if it's the same reason for you, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

You know what shampoo I absolutely love? Suave! Smells great, leaves my hair very soft, and no itching! I know it's cheap, but I honestly like it better than some other brands for which I paid a lot more.

(Edited for typos)

• Like 1

Yes, but most shampoos hurt my scalp and cause my hair to fall out.  I must avoid all sulfates, so even though almost all sodium lauryl sulfates have been replaced with sodium laureth sulfate (larger molecule is supposed to be less absorbed by the skin), I still can't use either one.  I use sulfate free shampoo called Traite, made by Mastey.  It's only available in a limited market (mostly in California) so I get it online directly from Mastey.com

There are other brands available at whole foods and other natural stores.  Jason's is good, but it's thick like honey and smells like flowers.  I prefer the milky texture of the Traite.

BTW, my scalp wasn't always like this.  It started when I was about 40, I think.

• Like 2

Yes, but most shampoos hurt my scalp and cause my hair to fall out. I must avoid all sulfates, so even though almost all sodium lauryl sulfates have been replaced with sodium laureth sulfate (larger molecule is supposed to be less absorbed by the skin), I still can't use either one. I use sulfate free shampoo called Traite, made by Mastey. It's only available in a limited market (mostly in California) so I get it online directly from Mastey.com

There are other brands available at whole foods and other natural stores. Jason's is good, but it's thick like honey and smells like flowers. I prefer the milky texture of the Traite.

BTW, my scalp wasn't always like this. It started when I was about 40, I think.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying my 40's so far: dramatic increase in migraines, unexplained weight gain, mild insomnia, and skin that is simultaneously bone-dry and acne-prone. It's the best! :lol: I guess I'll have increasing sensitivities to look forward to as well, because I've noticed recently that I can't tolerate fragrance in skin care or cosmetics products anymore. Maybe I should just go ahead and pick some some Jason's or Trate. :) Thanks for these recommendations!

• Like 2

Everything makes me itch. I use Aveeno everything.

Well, except shampoo actually. For some reason cheap Suave works best for me.

Hello, fellow-Aveeno-only friend!

I encourage you to try the fragrance-free body wash as hair wash. I've had surprisingly good results!

• Like 4

I'm experiencing all of those things already but I think my Crohn's Disease has brought most of them on. Having Crohn's is a lot like getting old early. Now that I'm pushing 40... ugh.

Crohn's must be pretty rough. :grouphug: I had an acquaintance who suffered from it, but I don't know a lot about the disease. I hope you are getting effective treatment.

I appreciate your recommendation for Aveeno! I've also heard good things about CeraVe. I don't think they make shampoo, though.

I'm employed full time and making a middle class wage, but have stopped taking my medication because after insurance it still costs $1000/month. So... not so much.

Anyway, Aveeno is a godsend. It is the best thing, regardless of context. :P

• Like 1

I'm employed full time and making a middle class wage, but have stopped taking my medication because after insurance it still costs $1000/month. So... not so much.

Anyway, Aveeno is a godsend. It is the best thing, regardless of context. :P

Oh, man, I am so sorry. Don't even get me started on the state of health care in this country*. :(

(*infering you're in the US, as am I.)

• Like 1

Yes.  It was the first sign I ever had of having a wheat allergy.  Get products without added wheat proteins, whether cheap or expensive.  Avoid whole grain bread unless it's gluten free.  If you have any health problems or dark circles under your eyes, try 8 weeks of going gluten free (it takes 6 weeks to get the wheat out of your system, and two weeks to see if you feel better without them).

Whatever you do, DO NOT EAT WHOLE WHEAT BREAD ON ANTIBIOTICS.  ESPECIALLY A NEW ANTIBIOTIC.  It can take a mild allergy to a full blown severe one. Eat gluten free when you're sick.  Trust me on this.

• Like 1

It should be said that as general advice, the likelihood that someone actually has celiac disease (which as far as I know is really the only medically documented way of truly having a wheat allergy) is vanishingly small.

It's become very trendy to self diagnose with this, to the point that food producers have been only too happy to make bank on it, but the truth is that you need to see a doctor and find out what's actually bothering you. Self diagnosing celiac has very, very long odds.

Now, there are other compelling reasons for grain free or reduced grain diets that are tangential but those aren't anything to do with an allergy.

EDIT - I stand corrected, it's possible to have a wheat allergy which is not related to celiac:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/wheat-allergy/basics/risk-factors/con-20031834

I wonder what the odds are of that or if "gluten free" is enough in that case. Hmm.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying my 40's so far: dramatic increase in migraines, unexplained weight gain, mild insomnia, and skin that is simultaneously bone-dry and acne-prone. It's the best! :lol: I guess I'll have increasing sensitivities to look forward to as well, because I've noticed recently that I can't tolerate fragrance in skin care or cosmetics products anymore. Maybe I should just go ahead and pick some some Jason's or Trate. :) Thanks for these recommendations!

In the last couple of years I've become sensitive to scented laundry products, which makes me sad because I love the smell of Tide. I never had any trouble with them before, so I'm still not sure if it's because I'm older or because they changed something in the ingredients.

• Like 1

Scented laundry products bother me too, but much less if I use Aveeno when I wash. I can't explain that except maybe dry, already irritated skin is just more prone to more irritation.

We tried scentless, dye-less Tide for awhile and my wife hated it. She says all of our laundry smells like wet dog without some sort of fragrance.

I wouldn't know as I lost my sense of smell years ago but we're back to scented Tide. :)

Scented laundry products bother me too, but much less if I use Aveeno when I wash. I can't explain that except maybe dry, already irritated skin is just more prone to more irritation.

We tried scentless, dye-less Tide for awhile and my wife hated it. She says all of our laundry smells like wet dog without some sort of fragrance.

I wouldn't know as I lost my sense of smell years ago but we're back to scented Tide. :)

We have to use scent-free, dye-free laundry detergent, too, for my dd. Right before I read this she had me smell a blanket she just washed and it's got the wet dog smell. LOL.

My dd takes Claritin or she's itchy all the time. Ironically, this is the first time I've been off allergy meds in a year or so. Usually, I get body pain when I go off. Now I'm off without pain, but I have the itch. 

• Like 1

Yes.  It was the first sign I ever had of having a wheat allergy.  Get products without added wheat proteins, whether cheap or expensive.  Avoid whole grain bread unless it's gluten free.  If you have any health problems or dark circles under your eyes, try 8 weeks of going gluten free (it takes 6 weeks to get the wheat out of your system, and two weeks to see if you feel better without them).

Whatever you do, DO NOT EAT WHOLE WHEAT BREAD ON ANTIBIOTICS.  ESPECIALLY A NEW ANTIBIOTIC.  It can take a mild allergy to a full blown severe one. Eat gluten free when you're sick.  Trust me on this.

Okay, Katy. This is a "sign" because you brought this up to me for another issue on the lice-but-not-lice thread not that long ago. Maybe I should cut out wheat again. But I'm feeling a little overloaded by life right now, and having to do it again seems overwhelming. Cutting out wheat didn't help last time, but I was eating corn and since tested positive for a corn allergy.

Off the top of your head, can you share any names of wheat-free shampoo?

ETA: Okay, I just saw Dove shampoo is gluten free or will be labeled if it contains gluten. That might be an easy one to try because it's inexpensive and it's everywhere.

• Like 1

It should be said that as general advice, the likelihood that someone actually has celiac disease (which as far as I know is really the only medically documented way of truly having a wheat allergy) is vanishingly small.

It's become very trendy to self diagnose with this, to the point that food producers have been only too happy to make bank on it, but the truth is that you need to see a doctor and find out what's actually bothering you. Self diagnosing celiac has very, very long odds.

Now, there are other compelling reasons for grain free or reduced grain diets that are tangential but those aren't anything to do with an allergy.

EDIT - I stand corrected, it's possible to have a wheat allergy which is not related to celiac:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/wheat-allergy/basics/risk-factors/con-20031834

I wonder what the odds are of that or if "gluten free" is enough in that case. Hmm.

I don't have celiac, but I do have a throat-swelling, hive-inducing wheat ALLERGY.  I don't react to barley or other gluten containing grains, but I do purchase gluten-free products because if something is gluten free it is also wheat free, and without the gluten-free designation grains are processed together and contaminated with other grains. Gluten free standards are higher than wheat free standards, so they are most certainly enough.

• Like 1

Okay, Katy. This is a "sign" because you brought this up to me for another issue on the lice-but-not-lice thread not that long ago. Maybe I should cut out wheat again. But I'm feeling a little overloaded by life right now, and having to do it again seems overwhelming. Cutting out wheat didn't help last time, but I was eating corn and since tested positive for a corn allergy.

Off the top of your head, can you share any names of wheat-free shampoo?

ETA: Okay, I just saw Dove shampoo is gluten free or will be labeled if it contains gluten. That might be an easy one to try because it's inexpensive and it's everywhere.

I like the really cheap Suave shampoos (not the knockoff salon ones), just the fruity ones.  The one called endless summer smells a little like banana popsicles.

If you have a costco membership, their kirkland brand moisturizing shampoo & conditioner is AWESOME.  It's like $8 for a huge bottle, it's gluten free, sulfate free, paraben free, and I think vegan. It's also made by Pureology and as far as I can tell is exactly the same formula as their name brand $80 shampoo. It gently cleanses, leaves hair silky soft, and I find I have to shampoo less because it doesn't strip hair at all, and it ends up far less oily as a result.

FWIW, if I could go back to having a mild wheat allergy I'd probably still eat flour, just limit it to white flour & try to keep it to 1-2 servings per day.  Though I've heard theories undiagnosed mild wheat allergies are one of the most common causes of colon cancer.  I don't know if that's true or not. Sigh.  I'm so sorry to hear about your corn allergy.  That would be the worst for me, I use corn tortillas as a very common bread substitute.

ETA:  the Costco shampoo is corn free too!

• Like 1

My daughter, youngest son, my dad, and I have Celiac.  Not self-diagnosed, doctor diagnosed.

Celiac is not an allergy to wheat.  I have a friend who has Celiac AND a wheat allergy.  A *severe* wheat allergy.  What are the odds?  But the two are not the same thing.

• Like 2

I'm a little sensitive on this topic only because over the last 3 decades I've been absolutely inundated with friends, relatives, and well wishers trying to help me by suggesting that my Crohn's Disease is in fact celiac and if I just cut out all bread I wouldn't have to worry about my expensive medication.

Having been on death's door with this thing and having a daughter in the same boat, that chorus gets old. Sorry for stilted responses on this topic. :) I did go back and edit after I double checked myself.

I'm a little sensitive on this topic only because over the last 3 decades I've been absolutely inundated with friends, relatives, and well wishers trying to help me by suggesting that my Crohn's Disease is in fact celiac and if I just cut out all bread I wouldn't have to worry about my expensive medication.

Having been on death's door with this thing and having a daughter in the same boat, that chorus gets old. Sorry for stilted responses on this topic. :) I did go back and edit after I double checked myself.

Yeah, two very different things!  "Cut out all bread."  That makes me laugh.  People have no idea just what all you have to cut out to eliminate gluten from your diet.  People who claim they can't have gluten and then eat pizza or drink (definitely non-gluten free) beer make me roll my eyes.  Celiac is no fun.  Crohn's is worse.

But, hey, if you just use essential oils, I bet all your problems would go away!

(Note: read that super sarcastic. I've had more than one friend tell me EOs would cure our Celiac. Um, no.)

• Like 1

That or smoke lots of marijuana. I'm wasting my money on doctors and medication when all I need to do is roll up a few joints. Silly me.

(This said, cannabis oil and even smoking marijuana HAS shown improvement for some patients, but Crohn's is a disease with no definitively identified cause or pathology and is probably a collection of a few. Often the painkilling properties of the drug mask symptoms and people end up worse off...)

• Like 1

I can imagine. I know that people mean well, so I just smile and try to accept it in the spirit it was intended, but I do get tired of people telling me I could cure my migraines with {insert currently-popular hocus pocus here}.

• Like 2

Costco/Kirtland shampoo, conditioner and body wash are all pureology knock-offs that are reasonably priced and "free" of a lot of things. Someone mentioned them above; we've used them for the last several years.

I'm so glad a few of you have mentioned this, I'll have to get some of this.

As for Pantene, I finally realized that by the time I'm 2/3 through a bottle, my hair starts falling out more noticeably. I don't use it anymore!

Everything makes me itch. I recently started using an expensive salon brand and irritatingly (literally) it started making me itch!!! I'm glad you brought this up. I did not have this problem with Kirkland shampoo. I will return the salon shampoo.

• 5 years later...