Menu

How do you pronounce "rifled"

Chelli

How Do You Pronounce "Rifled?"  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce the "i" in rifled?

• With a long i sound
    • With a short i sound
    • I have never said this word or heard it said.

We were listening to Gregor the Overlander in the car the other day when the narrator pronounced this word. It took me just a second to realize what word he meant because he pronounced it in a way I'd never heard. I'm curious if the way I've always said it is the norm or if the narrator flubbed up and said it incorrectly.

In the context of the book the main character was going through some papers and the sentence said that he rifled through them.

TIA

Thanks so much for this!!! Not shocking in any way, but I've been using rifled incorrectly. I thought it just meant to rummage through something quickly. I didn't realize that nefarious intent was needed. As for riffle, I'd never even heard of the word  so I learned two new things today! Yay me!

:hurray:

• Like 16

I would riffle (short i) through a magazine, flipping pages quickly without really stopping. 

I would rifle (long i) through your drawers to swipe your pictures of Ryan Gosling in a kilt. 

Now I need to go and ready those links and see if I've just displayed a horrible lack of literacy skill. 

• Like 4

Interesting. I didn't know there were two words! 

But this sentence just seems wrong, "To rifle, pronounced with the long sound, is to hurried go through an area with the intention of stealing. It is more than just shuffling things around, it is making a big mess with explicit criminal intentions."

Typo, maybe?

Thanks so much for this!!! Not shocking in any way, but I've been using rifled incorrectly. I thought it just meant to rummage through something quickly. I didn't realize that nefarious intent was needed. As for riffle, I'd never even heard of the word  so I learned two new things today! Yay me!

I learned them with you. How interesting!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this!!! Not shocking in any way, but I've been using rifled incorrectly. I thought it just meant to rummage through something quickly. I didn't realize that nefarious intent was needed. As for riffle, I'd never even heard of the word so I learned two new things today! Yay me!

Me, too! Learned something new today!

• Like 1

I would riffle (short i) through a magazine, flipping pages quickly without really stopping.

I would rifle (long i) through your drawers to swipe your pictures of Ryan Gosling in a kilt.

Now I need to go and ready those links and see if I've just displayed a horrible lack of literacy skill.

But of course, Grover, you are exactly correct!

:lol:

• Like 1