Menu

Moving to the Baltimore area

SemiSweet

We are moving at the end of the year, my husband is military and from central Maryland, so we've decided to buy since we will probably retire there. I'm looking at houses north of Columbia. Can anyone give me tips? Great places, places to steer clear of, really anything? I've never lived in the northeast or any place where it gets very cold. I have found many houses I love in Baltimore but I'm worried that the neighborhoods aren't great, though schools are of minimal concern since we plan to homeschool through high school at this point. I only have 3.5 days at the end of Octiber for house hunting so I'm trying hard to narrow down areas so I don't waste my time. Thanks!

I don't know the neighborhoods up there that well - I know they're definitely checkered in terms of great and terrible and everything in between - but the Baltimore Homeschool Center is cool. And the most amazing homeschool math classes are in Columbia... I keep thinking about taking ds up there but... ugh... Columbia (says this DC gal thinking of the drive).

• Like 1

We lived in Howard county just north of Columbia in the great school districts there. Nice neighborhoods and communities. We worked downtown for a 30-40 min commute. It was expensive but I didn't really want to live downtown. North of the city was ok if you could drive some.

We didn't use the schools but we were planning on it. I liked where we lived but financially for us it was a bust, plus we had no family there.

There are a ton of opportunities downtown Baltimore and all over for enrichment, obviously.

I think your location maybe should be heavily influenced by commute. Howard county is expensive and if it's a long commute too that's not great. Baltimore county has some nice places and are less expensive. Do you know the work location yet?

• Like 1

(I haven't lived there in a while, so my advice might be outdated.) 

You're probably looking near Ellicott City.  You'll find some nice and some not so nice neighborhoods.  A search on crime and registered offenders should help in your search. Just in case some homes enter your search from Frederick, MD, be very wary of any homes near there. The area is contaminated with poisons and many, many people have become sick (and died).  Of course, the most affordable homes in all of Maryland are in Frederick...  The libraries and parks are very nice.  The inter-library loan within the county is fantastic.   The homeschool programs through the Science Center in Baltimore is wonderful. Schools districts are based on the county lines so you may find there is a signifcant difference in home prices between Howard County (Ellicott City & Columbia) and Montgomery County (to the west) or Baltimore County  (north and east).

I'm not far from Maryland now, but we are planning our own move to Colorado so I'm also looking for information on relocating!  I hope your move goes well!

My sister lives in Howard County, south of Columbia. They have some of the best schools in the nation. They live in the cutest neighborhood - big one acre lots with older homes, a cute park they can walk to, not too expensive, etc. I would love to live there. They are right off of 29 near 32. Everything is busy on the main roads, but nice and quiet in her neighborhood. So much to do and see there - close to Baltimore and not too far from DC. Best of luck with your move!

• Like 1

Severna Park and Annapolis are nice areas but south of Baltimore. I would not live in Catonsville, Glen Burnie or the city of Baltimore because I just don't like the big city. I lived in Carroll County most of my life and it is a pretty place. Frederick (Frederick County) might be too far of a commute if your dh has to go to Baltimore much.

A lot of people commute from Manchester, Hampstead and Westminster to Baltimore. Hunt Valley area in Baltimore County may be a little pricey, horse country, but very nice area. Mt. Airy is a nice area too, between Baltimore and Frederick.

I would not live in Randallstown EVER. High crime.

You might like Glyndon. It is near Reisterstown.

Yes, it gets cold there, but it also gets very hot and humid.

• Like 1

I grew up in York County, Pennsylvania.  Lots of people there commute to Baltimore.

And the bonus is that there are financial incentives for military/federal government folks retiring in Pennsylvania.  (Please check on the details; I'm not sure which website would give the correct information on that.)

• Like 1

Carroll County is very pretty.  Howard Co. has good spots and bad.  Ellicott City is very nice - at least the parts I've visited.   Its quite suburban.  I don't really like Columbia... too big.  Clarksville is a bit south west of Columbia and is nice.  I also like Catonsville.  It's near the college.   Burtonsville is a bit south on the border with Mont. and PG Co.  It's a bit mixed as well amd will probably be a bit more expensive.

How west of Baltimore are you willing to go?  Sykesville, Eldersburg, and Westminister are very pretty.

• Like 2

My top choices for towns that I've looked at are Mt. Airy and Sykesville, we are trying to avoid military areas, but he will be working at Fort Meade, we are willing to commute a little to be away from military areas. We've looked extensively in Catonsville and Baltimore, and one of the main reasons we are leaning that way are the home prices, my priority in life is travel, which will be much harder if we go to Carroll County, due to price. I also love the idea of being near a city with lots of homeschool resources. We've never purchased a home before so I've been researching like a mad woman and it's basically come down to less expensive with sketchy neighborhoods and terrible schools versus good schools/quaint town. I'm glad to hear that Catonsville is pretty good because the prices are really reasonable and the schools are good.

• Like 1

In your situation, I think I would rent first to get a better feel for the area. We were at Meade. Cities vary a lot out there. Annapolis and Columbia could not be more different. Ellicott City is different than Columbia. If this was just another 2 year move, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal but you're looking at a longer term.

• Like 2

I am thinking you may have home prices confused if Carroll is looking like the expensive option. We live in Carroll County because it is what we could afford. We couldn't touch a house in Howard County and that was when we were both working -- the condos there cost as much as our house on 1 acre property.

I was nervous about Carroll County when we moved here because it seemed a bit too conservative and homogenous, especially compared to living in Montgomery and Baltimore counties before, but turns out that I really love living here. Have found an awesome community of friends and very grateful to not be in the high-density areas we lived before. There is the driving factor for activities at times but since I live in South Carroll it is not too bad to drive.

But another huge factor is commute times. My husband traded a 5 mile (10 minutes door to door) commute for a 37 mile commute (50 minutes without traffic, 75 minutes is more typical). That has been a hard adjustment and means that M-F are a wash for doing anything with DH in the evenings.

• Like 2

I think you should live in easy commuting distance from the Baltimore Homeschool Community Center, http://www.baltimorehomeschool.org . Catonsville would fit the bill. Parts of it are beautiful and have a very "small town" community-oriented feel, and parts of it less so. In the Baltimore area, you really have to check out the SPECIFIC block you're considering, not just the reputation of an entire neighborhood.

• Like 1

I agree with renting first before you buy. I think it will help you get a feel for the area better than anything you can research. 

My husband also has a long commute- but we wouldn't trade it for the wonderful job he is in.

Many people commute to Baltimore and beyond from Carroll County.

Best wishes to you! A move is exciting and overwhelming all at the same time!

Can't speak for Baltimore neighborhoods at all, but I can say oodles of people commute from southern PA to both Baltimore and Hunt Valley.  We're not even a super southern school district, but many of the students at our school have parents who commute.

In general, I'm told they like the lower taxes, lower house costs, less density, and less crime.  They say it's worth the commute.  Without issues, the commute could run 50 min to an hour for the southern part of our school district.

• Like 3

Is nothing south of Columbia an option? If the commute will be to Ft. Meade, I would look in/near Odenton, Crofton, etc. Easy commute and easy drive to DC, Baltimore, or Annapolis. Easy drive and close to BWI (you said travel is important). Nice neighborhoods.

It has been a long time since I lived in that area, so I'm not sure what home prices are like or what the homeschool resources are (I know there is a secular co-op in Annapolis, but I don't know anything about it/haven't heard any feedback). 

I agree with Hellen that areas vary quite a bit, so if at all possible you may want to try to spend a little more time in different towns and get a better feel for them before you make your decision. 

(I haven't lived there in a while, so my advice might be outdated.)

You're probably looking near Ellicott City. You'll find some nice and some not so nice neighborhoods. A search on crime and registered offenders should help in your search. Just in case some homes enter your search from Frederick, MD, be very wary of any homes near there. The area is contaminated with poisons and many, many people have become sick (and died). Of course, the most affordable homes in all of Maryland are in Frederick... The libraries and parks are very nice. The inter-library loan within the county is fantastic. The homeschool programs through the Science Center in Baltimore is wonderful. Schools districts are based on the county lines so you may find there is a signifcant difference in home prices between Howard County (Ellicott City & Columbia) and Montgomery County (to the west) or Baltimore County (north and east).

I'm not far from Maryland now, but we are planning our own move to Colorado so I'm also looking for information on relocating! I hope your move goes well!

Do you have any data to support Frederick is full of poisons and people becoming sick?

• Like 3

Can't speak for Baltimore neighborhoods at all, but I can say oodles of people commute from southern PA to both Baltimore and Hunt Valley. We're not even a super southern school district, but many of the students at our school have parents who commute.

In general, I'm told they like the lower taxes, lower house costs, less density, and less crime. They say it's worth the commute. Without issues, the commute could run 50 min to an hour for the southern part of our school district.

I agree with this. However, factoring in 45-60 minutes each way, plus wear and tear on a car, is a big deal. I live near Creekland, and DH commutes down to MD, 45 minutes each way. It's a pleasant commute, but man, that is a lot of gas he burns, even on a great commuter vehicle, and we put minimum of two new tires on his car every year. Plus, that's an extra hour and a half we don't have him every day; he's gone about twelve hours a day. Otoh, we love the area, so it is worth it, but it does grate sometimes, the drive.

• Like 3

http://www.detrick.army.mil/responsible/pdf/pr_Herald_23_May.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/npl/nar1782.htm

http://friendsoffrederickcounty.org/polluted-streams/     (more recent, problems continue)

I'm not trying to start a debate.  I wanted to offer up some concern since the OP might not know about the history of Ft. Detrick.  Just an FYI.

The links don't seem to work unless you copy & paste.  Sorry.

You REALLY want to rent first to get a feel for the area. Homeschooling activities are the least of your worries. It's a homeschooling/field trip candy store. People don't understand what that commute will do to them until they've lived it. It can sometimes take an hour to get from Columbia to Ft Meade when the traffic is bad. It can take two hours to get from Baltimore to DC. They're only 40 miles apart. 4 hours a day in a car can REALLY take it's toll on a person. It might seem like something the commuter can just suck up for the sake of the family, but it's A LOT to ask. Also, it's nearly impossible to get a feel for the place in the course of a weekend.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the input! We've found a place in Mount Airy that is calling to me and hits ALL of my criteria, so it looks like a 40 mile commute is in our future. Time to buy a hybrid. :)

I love Mt. Airy. I lived in the township proper before marriage; then moved to Lisbon, but still had a Mt. Airy mailing address. At the time, I worked in downtown Baltimore. That was a pretty insane commute at the time, but I was rather oblivious to it because I did not have a family to worry about. For part of that time, I took public transport from a Park & Ride and, though public trans can be maddening at times, it was really a pleasant part of my days. I saw the same people daily and became good friends with a few of them.

• Like 2