Menu

Do teens go outside anymore?

Do you have kids that like to do outdoor things like hike, swim in rivers, sail, camp, or rock climb?

We live in a mecca for outdoor activity and finding someone to do those things with is a real challenge for Sailor Dude.

How do you find like-minded outdoorsy friends at that age?

Boy Scouts here have a certain flavor to them which was fine in the earlier years for our oldest son, but Sailor Dude would not be in the right place.

My guys like it.  Youngest practically lives outside when he's not sleeping.  They've found others who share their enjoyment in their youth groups when they were here. Many times they had to suggest the activities and take the lead in organizing the process, but they didn't mind.

In college they've also found those who enjoy outdoor activities and go with them.  Chances are they still suggest it among their peers.  Maybe not.  I haven't asked.

• Like 1

Do you have a state or national park nearby which has volunteer days or special events?

Are there trail running clubs?

Are there "surviving the outdoors" workshops at local outdoors shops or library?

Outdoorsy type people show up at those types of things. Including some teens, I think.

The teen I'm playing guidance counselor for is definitely an outdoors person. Though when she goes on wilderness overnight hikes she usually drags along a somewhat-outdoorsy sibling. 

Do you live in Ohio? We could set them up together. Not like a date. But maybe.  ^_^

• Like 1

Another plug for finding a Venture crew!  http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing.aspx   At least around here, it's a very different group of kids than the usual scouts.  

If there's a rock wall climbing business near you, they often have outdoor activities posted on their public bulletin boards and sometimes sponsor outdoor climbing expeditions for members. 

• Like 1

Dd's likeminded friends are not necessarily her age.  She runs long distance.  She's made friends in her running group but most of them are adults.  She volunteers and most of her friends are the staff (some of whom are teens but are still older than her.)

Ds likes to hike and hunt and camp.  His hunting buddy is an adult.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

SweetChild and her boyfriend meet up at a city park and walk on the hiking trail. Only a homeschooler can be on a date and still count it as PE for school. :coolgleamA:

BabyBaby and her friend-who-is-a-boy also roam around the local park and climb trees.

Don't know if it's helpful to the OP, but our answer is yes they DO go outside, but usually with specific people/purpose.

I'll third the Venturing suggestion. Trinqueta is a member of our local Girl Scout council's sailing and backpacking groups and has made friends there. I agree that there is a different vibe to GSA than BSA although troops do vary. Venturing is mixed and includes young adults so it may be a better pick for sailor dude.

If he's dual enrolled, does the CC have an outdoors club? How about your local high school if they'd let him participate? Do they have JROTC? That's more oriented to military training, but they do have camps and outdoor survival. If you're really lucky they may have Navy JROTC. Our local high school does and they do go sailing. This may not be his thing, but it might surprise you.

My 15 year old and his friends do. Not as much as I would like....but they do plan bike rides and they hang out by the fire pit and even play chasing/ tag games.

Oh when ds is alone he climbs trees. :) love seeing my 6'3 boy swing from tree limbs. I had to stop him from climbing on the roof because I don't want the shingles damaged.

My 15 year old and his friends do. Not as much as I would like....but they do plan bike rides and they hang out by the fire pit and even play chasing/ tag games.

Oh when ds is alone he climbs trees. :) love seeing my 6'3 boy swing from tree limbs. I had to stop him from climbing on the roof because I don't want the shingles damaged.

That's tall!  My nearly 14 year old finally caught up to me at 5 ft 1.  For me that's tall.  LOL

• Like 2

Our younger teens are part of ski, archery, and other clubs. There are lots of running and climbing clubs out here, but our pre/teens aren't into it. They weren't much into climbing running as children either, though, so who knows what the little ones will turn out to be like. I hope you find some like-minded kids.

Yes, both of my dc (dd 17 and ds almost 19) like to do those things and anything else adventurous and outdoors. However, we were never able to find a one-stop shop for all those interests, despite the fact that we too, live in a mecca for outdoor activity. It would have been so much easier if one group could've provided those opportunities! It was tricky finding friends of like mind...

Hiking, camping, leadership, flying/soaring and survival stuff was through Civil Air Patrol. Swimming in rivers and waterskiing was through some friends who had a wonderful boat and were close to a river. Rock climbing happened regularly at a couple of awesome climbing gyms we have nearby, with two neighborhood friends tagging along sometimes, as well as someone they met at work. They also met good climbing buddies just by spending time climbing at the gym. Outdoor rock climbing has happened on vacations. DD was involved in Venture Crew for a short time and went snow skiing with that group.

DS is now at USAFA and is constantly doing amazing, adventurous outdoors stuff with friends whenever he has a free moment. So far these activities have involved water, snow, mountains, mud, rocks and much more. :patriot:

DD is busy exploring bike and running trails in our area, and continuing to do many of the above as well.

It was/has been challenging but it's possible...try finding just one person to do one thing with and from there, it might snowball. The greatest challenge was juggling schedules with availability that overlapped. Also, not all of these things happened concurrently. The waterskiing/river adventures ended when...our friends got rid of their boat. DD found CAP to be more fun than Venture Crew, so she is doing that now.

And maybe if your son is able to (depending on his academic goals), think about attending a college where not only will he get what he wants to educationally, but also where it is easy to do lots of those outdoors things and where many student clubs are based on those interests.

Wish I had an easier answer for you.