Menu

Daughter injured when having blood drawn... what should we do now?

PrincessMommy

My daughter had to get tests done as part of getting a new job in the medical field.  They sent her to a local clinic.  She went 2days ago to have blood drawn and it wasn't a good experience.  The nurse stuck her twice because she missed her.  Then dug around trying to find the vein. 

When she went back today to have her TB test read they told her they left one of the vials out and it was unusable.  She had to have more blood drawn.  She requested another person (dd knows how to draw blood).

This time it was much worse. 

He straight stuck her in the middle of her arm and it was very painful, but she thought it might have been her (low pain tolerance).  When he took the tourniquet off, and as he was removing the needle,  the tube was still in the vacu-tainer and it made a sucking noise.  It was super painful.

When she was driving home she took off the bandage because she's allergic to the tape.. And it stung all up and down her arm. She cannot lift anything with that arm and she couldn't even rotate the hand around it hurt too much (she can rotate now though).   She can't lift anything over 2lbs without stinging pain down her arm from the draw site.

There's now a solid bump under the skin to the left of the insertion site and it very tender.

So what next beside complaining loudly to her new bosses that they should not use this clinic?  Should she be concerned about permanent nerve damage?  How long should we wait and who would we see for this?

Not being medical I don't know the answers and she's really worried.

Of course, I would have it checked by her regular doctor. I had something similar happen after an injection (pain, tingling, numbness, but no lump). I also feared permanent nerve damage, so I Googled. Apparently my symptoms could have been caused by the injection, but usually go away within a month. It did take a long time, like several weeks, but the symptoms did slowly subside and eventually went away.

Still, something should be done to address the incompetence of those working at that clinic. Perhaps a workman's comp claim?

• Like 1

There isn't anything that can be done other than pain management, but I would suggest she see her normal doctor so that it is documented.  I would contact the clinic because they obviously need more training.  

Nerve pain can last from a few days to a few months.  Majority of the time it is resolved within 4-6 months, but statistically there are some people who suffer permanent damage.  If they still had the vacu-tainer attached when they withdrew the needle then she most likely has a hematoma and that could be causing the nerve pain, in which case it will go away as the pressure is resolved.  

• Like 5

Obviously it sounds like incompetence was the problem here, but just curious, does your dd usually have hard-to-find veins?  I always have and recently someone finally tried the top of my hand and it was so easy!  She said I should just tell people to go right for my hand, and so I did the next time, and it was easy again.  After years of people digging around in my arms while I lay there squirming in a cold sweat, why did no one ever recommend this?

Just thought I would mention it in case someone else has a similar problem.

• Like 2

I would worry about a blood clot.  Take pictures and document everything you can remember. If she starts having any symptoms of a problem (google) then go to the ER. 

I would send a letter and photos to the clinic director.

Externally it doesn't look that bad.  There's bruising from the original stick but not from the 2nd one.

Obviously it sounds like incompetence was the problem here, but just curious, does your dd usually have hard-to-find veins?  I always have and recently someone finally tried the top of my hand and it was so easy!  She said I should just tell people to go right for my hand, and so I did the next time, and it was easy again.  After years of people digging around in my arms while I lay there squirming in a cold sweat, why did no one ever recommend this?

She doesn't have hard to find veins but they roll.  She warned them about it and told them they needed to anchor it.   She also suggested two places that were much better to draw and BOTH people ignored her.    She told them she knew how to draw blood too so they'd know she knew what she was talking about.  :glare:  

• Like 1

I'm an extremely hard stick.  They've had to stick my entire arm in a waste basket of warm water before.  It does sound like they hit a nerve.  It could be ok in a couple of days.  It could (unfortunately) take a month to heal.  If it continues I would ask to see a neurologist to make sure the damage isn't more permanent.  They can give you medication like Lyrica for neuropathy.  If she gets any red streaks down her arm, then go immediately to an ER.  (I did get that once from an I.V. stick.)

• Like 1

Btdt. I absolutely complain to the higher ups - it's the equivalent of abusing a patient when one fails repeatedly at blood draws and swishes, stabs, or otherwise mangles their tissues. No bueno.

Oh my... I should NOT have read this while trying to get pregnant.... so many blood draws in my near future, and I hate needles to begin with.

It reminds me of the time I stupidly let a student nurse put in my IV. The nurse supposed to be supervising her went and did paperwork instead. It was full of blood and painful, so I asked for it to be redone by the head nurse. When they went to take it out to re-do it, an arc of blood spurted across the room, all the way to the wall, in a wide splattered line across the bed and desk and floor. The bruise from that was very impressive. I've never let a student nurse do a needle-related procedure since. 

No advice, just fervent prayer that it doesn't happen to me! lol. And, yes, I'd get it checked by her regular doctor, and send a letter or make a formal complaint to the clinic. I get that sometimes blood draws are difficult, but that sounds completely unprofessional, especially when your daughter told them so much information about what needed to be done and they ignored it. 

Yuck!  It definitely sounds like a nerve.  A bad nerve hit happened to me once.  It was not fun and whoever said the pain, etc lasted about a month was correct for my situation.

I didn't complain (except to those around me) figuring these things happen and knowing the vast majority of my veins like to stay hidden and protected.  But in your daughter's situation where it happened more than once with her offering suggestions that were ignored, it'd be tempting.

Is this the same daughter enduring the apt fire?

Regardless...  :grouphug:

Thanks everyone.   We'll keep an eye on it, but hope it's just a nerve and heals this month.  She was pretty worried because she starts this new job in a week and she's barely able to use that arm!   It's a long weekend, so she'll probably make an appt. her reg. doctor on Tues. perhaps just to document the issue. 

Abba12 - praying for happy sticks and a healthy baby for you!

Creekland - no, this is middle dd who is still at home. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your dd. my ds has hard to find veins, low pain tolerance, and fear of needles. But things have worked out ok.

To take one example from this spring. He asked for his hand, the nurse tried the hand. Once or maybe twice. But then she called in a more experienced nurse. One more try, then the more experienced nurse took over and did a quick stick the first or second time. Ds has had many times with multiple sticks, but never any pain afterwards.

I have no medical knowledge to share, just a lot of sympathy. I agree with the doctor visit, both for the card and for doctor's use as a complaint channel.

I have the same problem but what I encounter is that they never believe me.  They dig around in my arm first thinking that they will be the one to easily find the vein when everyone else failed.  Then they finally give up and go to the hand or foot. It's frustrating.

• Like 2

I had a bad stick once (more than once but this one time) and they ended up giving me a staph infection-- it was contained in a little bump-- weeks later I showed it to my Dr at an appointment and he pressed it, said it was nothing serious, gave me a referral to a vein guy --- two hours later my arm was red from top to bottom.  He had released the bacteria and the entire arm was infected.  Need less to say, I was in the ER that evening.   Make sure your daughter watched for signs of the redness moving up and down the arm.

• Like 2

I do not accept that type of behavior from fellow people in the medical field.  If I tell them something and they totally disregard me, then hey, no joy, go find someone else who will listen.  I can be a very difficult stick, my veins roll.  If someone knows what they are doing, and is open to my advice, then things can go very smoothly.  If they aren't following procedure or "digging around" after being told not to, then they are told to stop the procedure.  Patients have rights when it comes to these things, be sure to educated yourself.  All clinics, hospitals, etc., have a policy to follow after blood draw incidents, I would ask the clinic what their policy is.  Here is one example.  

I have a lot of routine blood work done.  I am lucky that I use the same lab for everything outpatient.  I have doctors write orders rather than allow their staff to draw.  I've even been known to call the lab and ask who is drawing that day if I've been drawn a lot in a short amount of time. :)  There are things you can do to make it a better experience once you know about them. 

OP, I hope your daughter is already on the road to recover, and that it will be a short one.   :grouphug:

• Like 4