Menu

Help me brainstorm another meal that would feed 40ish college boys (w/o breaking the bank).

FloridaLisa

Once a semester, a friend and I cook for two scholarship houses that our kids are in at the university. It's an hour and 1/2 drive, so we usually cook most of it at home and transfer in coolers. We like to make something homemade that they don't usually get. It's a co-op scholarship house where the boys rotate cooking for each other. We like it to be nice but not to break the bank. 

In the past we've done:

*Mexican buffet with crock-pot pork tortillas, toppings, salad, chips, salsa, desserts, iced teas. 

*Chicken tetrazzini, sides, garlic bread, desserts, tea. 

*Chicken and broccoli casserole, sides, garlic bread, dessserts, tea. 

They will often do a ham and frozen lasagna so we haven't done that. Have any great suggestions? For main dishes and desserts?

Trays of sausage, peppers, and onions (I cut the sausages in half) and rolls if they want to make sandwiches. We did this for a family reunion (there was a lot of other food too) but the sausage and peppers were wiped out first. I did a tray of spicy and a tray of regular. Easy peasy too since you just toss with some oil and seasonings and throw in the oven. You could also add potatoes if you didn't want to deal with rolls.

• Like 2

I'd do a large batch of spaghetti and meatballs. I make my meatballs in the crock pot (with the sauce) and it makes a huge batch. I'm sure doubling it would be easy and feed many hungry boys! Make as many boxes of spaghetti as you need. Serve with garlic bread and salad or steamed broccoli.

I use the Ragu recipe titled 'Mama's Best Ever Spaghetti and Meatballs'. I make my meatballs smaller than the recipe calls for, and I use a giant Ragu sauce (not the little jar). I put it in the crock and let it simmer all day. Yum!

• Like 5

First of all, how nice of you! I bet they love those meals.

My neighbor is a caterer and she makes baked chicken (she does thighs and legs) and Puerto Rican black beans and yellow rice as her most inexpensive meal for larger events. On the side she has chips and homemade salsa but storebought would be ok as well.

She cooks in her house, not an industrial kitchen, so it is manageable to do in a home.

• Like 4

Sloppy joes are always a hit when we cook for the Ronald McDonald house. Breakfast and a baked potato bar seem popular too.

Since you cook regularly for these boys, maybe survey and find out what their favorite home cooked meals are and see if you could adapt them for the group.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we started school and life picked up speed so I'm just now getting back to this thread. Thank you for all the great suggestions! Keep em coming if you have a favorite low-cost crowd meal. 

Is it too hot for chili?

We'll do a meat chili and a vegetarian chili with cornbread and sometimes rice. We'll have a toppings bar on the side. Dessert is often sliced apples with caramel sauce.

It is for fall semester, but chili and baked potatoes might work great for next semester. I'll tuck that idea away. 

Look up Amish Haystack dinner.

I will . . . thanks!

Sloppy joes are always a hit when we cook for the Ronald McDonald house. Breakfast and a baked potato bar seem popular too.

Since you cook regularly for these boys, maybe survey and find out what their favorite home cooked meals are and see if you could adapt them for the group.

Love sloppy joes. I need to find out if they make these for dinner but this is a great meal, especially with comfort food sides. 

I second spaghetti, but I'm way too lazy to make that many meatballs - the ground beef and/or pork sausage gets pre cooked and tossed in. 

Chicken and sausage jambalaya is another great crowd pleaser, and goes with almost anything. 

Sausage Jambayla

ground beef

smoked sausage

rice

green peppers

green onions

beef broth

cayenne pepper

I really like the idea of jambalaya. I always think of it as expensive, but that's only when seafood is added. Plus, every time I've made it, it makes a ton.  Yes, yes, this might work really well!

Meatballs are great, and if you bake them instead of sauteeing them they are also very easy.

I'd be inclined to make a meatball dish that could be served over rice--maybe Swedish or porcupine meatballs.

I imagine that they eat spaghetti a lot already.

Yakitori is easy if you buy boneless, skinless chicken meat, and it's really good and quite unusual.

I don't know what kind of sausages you have available, but once I cooked a German dinner for 40 that was super easy.  It was Pinkelwurst (which we had to order.  You could use Bockwurst or Bratwurst instead.), steamed whole little red potatoes, and this half-cooked chredded cabbage dish with pickling spices that was wrapped in foil and baked in the oven--not to the point of being limp like most cooked cabbage, but sort of the consistency of stir fry.  We bought big bottles of brown German mustard to serve with the wurst and the potatoes.  The deal was you had to post the menu in advance, and this all sounded horrible to people, so only about 25 showed up, but they were pleasantly surprised at how good this was, and it was also quite easy and not very expensive.