Menu

How do you help keep your emotions in check when pms'ing?

Prairie~Phlox

I wonder if it's just pmsing or pmsing in perimenopause that's the problem. 

My dd recently described my personality like gently flowing water (compared to herself and dh who have fiery temperaments). Lately, though, I feel like I'm more of a volcano. One dd was looking for something she thought I had, so instead of carefully going through my bags to look for it, I just turned them over on to the floor. Same thing happened a day or two later, and I just pushed everything on the top of the dresser, where I last saw the item, onto the floor. The good news is that my purse is much better organized and the top of my dresser is clearer than it's been in years. The other nice thing is that dh witnessed these events and didn't say a thing. 

• Like 2

I think Cat and I are coming from the same place, because I was going to suggest stay at home and don't talk to anybody. Also, this is a very bad week to have an important family meeting with your in-laws. Little tip I picked up.

• Like 8

A look in the calendar.

It helps me if I recognize that this is PMS talking and that I am overreacting and blowing issues out of proportion.

Recognizing that I am disproportionately upset because of hormones helps me put things into perspective and I feel better... because the word is not, in fact, out to get me and I am not, actually, surrounded by idiots - it's just that I'm about to get another stupid annoying period.

• Like 14

A look in the calendar.

It helps me if I recognize that this is PMS talking and that I am overreacting and blowing issues out of proportion.

Recognizing that I am disproportionately upset because of hormones helps me put things into perspective and I feel better... because the word is not, in fact, out to get me and I am not, actually, surrounded by idiots - it's just that I'm about to get another stupid annoying period.

The calendar used to work wonderfully for me for all of these reasons. And then I turned 46. My cycle is still very normal, but my moods are not keeping to their typically reliable pattern. This could be the beginning of the end. Or it could just be that it's been a very stressful year.

• Like 2

I hide out in my bedroom and try not to talk to anyone. Seriously. My emotions can be very out of control, especially since I hit peri-menopause. I'm tryng herbs, which I think have helped considerably, but there are days.... And they are very hard to control because sometimes I feel like I am not in control. So, I hibernate.

• Like 3

Oh my goodness.  I used to think my PMS was bad.  And then ... I hit peri-menopause.  This past cycle was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.  Road rage!  I actually told the family I was <bleep> running away and stormed out of the house.  When I finished walking around the block I was still very, very angry.  I was breathing like a bull.  

I'm surprised I'm still married.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I think Cat and I are coming from the same place, because I was going to suggest stay at home and don't talk to anybody. Also, this is a very bad week to have an important family meeting with your in-laws. Little tip I picked up.

I would make that same suggestion for the duration of perimenopause/menopause if it weren't so ridiculously impractical for most people.

It's not your fault.

((((((((((((((((((Polly)))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((((KrissiK))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((((Tiramisu))))))))))))))))

Polly, don't underestimate dh. It wouldn't be correct English for me to describe my older son as "understanding" because that isn't what that word means, but he is surprisingly helpful, forgiving, and rational about the whole mess.

Your husband probably is too.

• Like 2

Duct tape.  For me.  For them.  It matters not.

:lol:

No, not really, but really??  Trying to find time to be alone.  Waiting until everyone is asleep and watch sappy shorts on youtube until I'm crying my eyeballs out - it help get rid of my pent up emotions.  Eating whatever sounds good...except too much sugar.  I try to listen to my cravings.  Lately I'm giving in to the ones that say: steamed broccoli good, chocolate bad.  :closedeyes:   Lots of good fats like coconut oil in my tea with cream, avocado and sunflower seeds with cottage cheese and for some reason... lots of oranges.  Exercise - like walking or swimming underwater for long stretches. 

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Oh my goodness.  I used to think my PMS was bad.  And then ... I hit peri-menopause.  This past cycle was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.  Road rage!  I actually told the family I was <bleep> running away and stormed out of the house.  When I finished walking around the block I was still very, very angry.  I was breathing like a bull.  

I'm surprised I'm still married.

Good luck!

Over the last six months, I've fantasized about running away a lot. First, it was Russia. ?? Absolutely no explanation for that. Now, I want to become a nurse and do medical missions. In the meanwhile, I play sudoku. LOL.

• Like 1

about 7 yrs ago I decided to make my home as chemical free as I reasonably could.  Before that, all my life since age 12  (I was 36 at the time) my periods and PMS went from unbearable, random (I would skip 5 months, then have one every 2 wks, skip 3 months, have 4 in two months, etc)..painful and downright bitchy/catty/nasty/mean/unreasonable/weepy to having a regular cycle every 32 days.  My husband was one of those husbands that DREADED my pms.  My emotions got a lot better...a LOT.  The biggest difference came when I unplugged my wall room deodorizers and stopped using perfume daily.  I couldn't believe the change that brought.  (still use perfume very occasionally)  I still had uncomfortable emotional swings but only occasionally.  I still had PMS symptoms monthly but only one at the time.  One month I'd have a hormone headache, the next, maybe bloating, the next, I might be a *little* more emotional than normal.  But my cycle or lack of one was no longer yanking me around in circles at its whim.

Then, about 4 yrs ago I started using evening primrose oil and I no longer have a regular issue with PMS.  In fact, unless I am totally keeping track of the date of my last period (still RIGHT at 28-32 days 7 yrs after making changes), my period catches me totally unaware.  I also take fermented cod liver oil and that has helped tremendously as well.  

As soon as DD started puberty, I started her on EPO and CLO and help her with decisions on what to put on her body and in her environment. Though she LOVES Bath and Body Works and all the yummy body stuff out there.  She uses it more than I do but I put my foot down with household deodorizers.  For us, the warnings about this stuff being estrogen mimicking/disrupting proved to be very true.  YMMV

ETA: Feel better!

• Like 1

I take dark dark chocolate, at least 70% coca. I don't know if it helps but I feel better. Unfortunately my hidden stash is empty.

since hitting premenopausal I am turning into some sort of hideous monster . I cannot believe myself at times  :ph34r:  

Chocolate DOES help.

It also helps girls in puberty.  I learned to basically throw some chocolate at one teen daughter during those awful years.  It was like a calm-down drug. 

• Like 1

I never had emotional PMS until after my third was born, now it's awful. I also had a perfectly predictable cycle before his birth and a less so one after. I have learned to mark the calendar with all possible cycle days (a 26-32 day range right now - not so bad, it was really crazy at first) and I work hard on my self talk in that window of time. If I catch myself contemplating how everyone I know must think I'm annoying and really no one likes me, I look at the calendar. That usually happens near the beginning of PMS, so I have some warning that the worst is coming. Then, I just try to stay aware. I text a friend a lot in order to avoid complaining to my spouse during PMS (I have a nice friend). I avoid alcohol completely during the window. And, I try to make myself go for a long, hard run the first day of PMS because exercise helps a lot, but I feel so tired in day one of my cycle, that I can't make myself exercise at that point.